Help With PLD Gearsets.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Help with PLD gearsets.
Help with PLD gearsets.
First Page 2 3 4
 Bahamut.Alpaka
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: MGreer
By Bahamut.Alpaka 2011-07-21 08:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking to make some beneficial changes to my PLD gearsets, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

PLD Cure - Adaman Barbuta - Spell Interrupt-2% Cure Potency+5%

PLD Flash

PLD MDT

PLD TP
 Lakshmi.Blacklion
Server: Lakshmi
user: Blacklion
By Lakshmi.Blacklion 2011-07-21 08:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of your sets are pretty decent, Although if you want, you can see what i use on my sets If you click my profile and go to item sets
 Bahamut.Alpaka
By Bahamut.Alpaka 2011-07-21 13:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm feeling pretty solid about my Cure set, and just took out some MDT gear on my MDT set since I don't need that much since I'll always have capped shell5 I'm just iffy on my TP set mainly on earrings and neck.

Creed vs Fort Torq.

Suppa/Brutal vs Ethereal/Brutal :x

Next in line for N.Sash so Ill swap out Blitz for mars when I get.
 Phoenix.Gustavve
Server: Phoenix
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-07-21 14:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Both are situational. Do you need mp? I also use rancor when the situation allows(most of the time). Flash could probably use more haste but that depends on how you use flash. I use to go heavy on enmity in my flash because I was never spamming it every time it was up. Was more to get his attention back after I took some dmg or something.
 Carbuncle.Blazer
Server: Carbuncle
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-07-21 17:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

cure set is good if you have a good cure cheat, otherwise would forgo the potency for more enmity. If you need a good cure3/4 cheat I can pm you mine.

For mdt i use lamia kaman +1, and another mermans earring. Also should get a minerva ring to replace mermans. Iron ram Legs/Hands for MDT.

For tp if you can get a 6% haste belt swap blitz for mars's ring. I would rock the creed neck for tp also since you lose less enmity per hit/refresher. Although I would consider alternatives myself, I don't see how the fort torque would benefit that much.

I see you use the bow also, should prob switch to ammo items. Onerous pebble for tp, incanter stone for casting, demonry stone for mdb, thunder sachet for chant.

Flash set is almost identical to mine.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-07-21 19:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, I don't really know how to take this thread as there is someone asking who has some of the best gear in the game and supposedly accomplished a lot already. So it just looks like a "tell me, am I awesome or what!?"-thread.

Some stuff cought my attention now though, so I'll give my 2 cents as well.

First of all:
Carbuncle.Blazer said:
cure set is good if you have a good cure cheat, otherwise would forgo the potency for more enmity.
I've to agree and to disagree with this. Cure potency is used to conserve mp, not to mention that every extra hp cured also gives you more hate, so I wouldn't leave that out.
But it's certainly correct that you need a "cure cheat" to support that.
For example, if you use cure 4 and only cure for 200, you've wasted mp and dind't get much enmity, even if you added enmity in spots where you should have had hp+.
With a good hp+-arrangement in your cure set, you will cure for full, which means you will also get the full enmity for 400-500hp cured, even though your hp bar will go down again afterwards.
Because, I don't know about you but I don't start curing myself when I know I won't waste mp but when it's nessesary to gain enmity or just be prepared for a bigger attack.

Flash set is no brainer either, haste, enmity, the bit fast cast we get. Also depends on how often you actually use it, like Gustavve pointed out.
On that note, I would also suggest switching to the ammo items Blazer mentioned, instead of that bow-thingy. For DEX, acc, fast cast, mdb, etc.

MDT set looks ok.
Obvious things to improve are a decent dark ring and a defending ring. Furthermore, I'd switch out waist for creed, legs for IR and the aforementioned mdb ammo, unless this is supposed to be some kinda hybrid PDT/MDT set, which would be a different story and different adjustments. Hands are argueably, I'd keep them for SDB.

Finally, the TP set. Looks good to me and improvements have been pointed out with ring and waist. And what I also want to illustrate is, if you take that road and making a pure DD/TP set (namely items like zelus, blitz or mars's ring which have negative stats for tanking), I wouldn't care about refresh, eva, convert mp items either.
So, I'd just use torque, suppa, mars's and n.sash.
After all, if you wanted to tank and mitigate dmg, that would be the wrong set.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gustavve
Server: Phoenix
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-07-22 09:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll second Grandthief on the fast cast sets <3.

Full haste/+fast cast set for Reprisal/Ni (lol Ni)
Full fast cast for enlight (and precast ichi if you so choose)
Full fast cast + seigal sash for refresh/haste/phalanx(stoneskin precast)
Stoneskin set (shield skill.SIRD.seigalsash/stone gorget/haven hose/stone mufflers)

If you use spellcast you can also use your full haste + FC set for flash while under sentinel.

Also if onerios earring is cheap on your server its nice for self target cures.

I also used a hpplt 25% casting set back in the day. Saved my *** a few times since it goes with SIRD and -DT% for cures and ichi incase that big gold shield decides to quit on you.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-07-23 00:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Grandthief said:
To be honest, I don't really know how to take this thread as there is someone asking who has some of the best gear in the game and supposedly accomplished a lot already. So it just looks like a "tell me, am I awesome or what!?"-thread.

i have neither ochain or aegis, working on ochain atm. so i am rocking out with kaiser shield till ochain. so here are my sets i have so far. i know the improvements i need to make and working on it

where ever you see Dark ring, i only have 1 since unlucky with decent augments, augments are Dark Ring is PDT/MDT -5% SID-5%

TP

Missing Z.Tiara and N.Sash, dont have blitz ring or sea torque

Shield Skill

went with PDT in ring slots Dark Ring is PDT/MDT -5%

Rampart

yes i have VIT gear since i have Calagbolg so i use the +VIT for rampart

PDT

this set caps out PDT (well -2% over cap) but obviously i would use Almace over Shamshir +2 anyways unless kiting

MDT/MDB

i can switch out Strendu Mantle for MDB one i know, i have not gotten one yet

HP Increase

use this as my cure cheat, set has +610 HP but ~500 more than TP overall enough for cure4 also with some enmity+ for them cures

Full Enmity

has +53 Enmity and use as my base set for enmity tools, i know i can get more but kinda lacking space atm and unsure of the enmity cap, was always told it was +50 but read different

Haste+Fast cast (flash)

got for as much haste as i can with maxing fastcast and added Enmity, Jeweled Collar has Fastcast+3

Haste+Fast cast (Utsusemi)

full fastcast + Haste + Shield skill, again Jeweled Collar has Fastcast+3

This might make a change to seing only ochain/Aegis sets. some people tell me all these sets are overkill for PLD and can get rid of some but i just call it being efficient as possible, i have a couple more sets just not made on here yet, but i do know what i need to get/improve.

i know i sport the Killer short bow atm, will be looking to change to using ammo when i have the relevant useful ammo items
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2011-07-23 00:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Lightvision said:

has +53 Enmity and use as my base set for enmity tools, i know i can get more but kinda lacking space atm and unsure of the enmity cap, was always told it was +50 but read different

It's +100.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-07-23 01:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

For people that don't generally know, with 2x March and Haste you only need 15% haste in gear to cap the recast timers for things like flash and Utsusemi Ichi.

For the rare occassions that you would be using PLD (Voidwatch) you should have a bard for marches letting you drop more haste gear in favor of enmity for flash.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-07-23 01:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
For people that don't generally know, with 2x March and Haste you only need 15% haste in gear to cap the recast timers for things like flash and Utsusemi Ichi. For the rare occassions that you would be using PLD (Voidwatch) you should have a bard for marches letting you drop more haste gear in favor of enmity for flash.

Nope, with a +3 bard, you only need 11-12% haste in gear(officially 114/1024~ish). So belt+Homam pants will cap you with marchesx2/haste.

:edit:
Actually scratch that, should be using +2 feet anyhow, so youll want to have belt + homam hands for maximum enmity efficiency while under the said haste conditions, and obviously it being flash, homam pants still great for ichi/ni.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-07-23 01:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
For people that don't generally know, with 2x March and Haste you only need 15% haste in gear to cap the recast timers for things like flash and Utsusemi Ichi.

For the rare occassions that you would be using PLD (Voidwatch) you should have a bard for marches letting you drop more haste gear in favor of enmity for flash.

i always ask for march+Ballad only
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-07-23 01:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hitoseijuro said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
For people that don't generally know, with 2x March and Haste you only need 15% haste in gear to cap the recast timers for things like flash and Utsusemi Ichi. For the rare occassions that you would be using PLD (Voidwatch) you should have a bard for marches letting you drop more haste gear in favor of enmity for flash.

Nope, with a +3 bard, you only need 11-12% haste in gear(officially 114/1024~ish). So belt+Homam pants will cap you with marchesx2/haste.

:edit:
Actually scratch that, should be using +2 feet anyhow, so youll want to have belt + homam hands for maximum enmity efficiency while under the said haste conditions, and obviously it being flash, homam pants still great for ichi/ni.

Ah good to know I was basing what I knew from my experience at 75, not used to having bards around so much anymore D:
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-07-23 01:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Odin.Hitoseijuro said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Nope, with a +3 bard, you only need 11-12% haste in gear(officially 114/1024~ish). So belt+Homam pants will cap you with marchesx2/haste. :edit: Actually scratch that, should be using +2 feet anyhow, so youll want to have belt + homam hands for maximum enmity efficiency while under the said haste conditions, and obviously it being flash, homam pants still great for ichi/ni.
Ah good to know I was basing what I knew from my experience at 75, not used to having bards around so much anymore D:
If we could find where the +3 instrument comes from that would allow us to get away with just +2 feet for capped recast for flash and w/e fast gear we use for ichi/ni, or those with lv90 Ghorns.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-07-23 01:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

Don't have a Rdm to Refresh II you? I go pretty crazy myself if im not getting 2x march. Fresh II should be more than enough to sustain PLDs MP, at 75 Refresh I was all a PLD needed as well. With CDC or even atonement spam a PLD should not have to be using its MP that often, WHM can get abyssea levels of Refresh with a RDM and Bard around.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-07-23 02:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

I wish there would be only one time where I would have that luxery for getting haste and marches on a constant basis and without having to ask for it either.
In all those years I've only had BRDs doing their jobs in lvl 75 exp parties. Nowadays it seems to be impossible to get a person who can play 2 songs regularly and not go afk 20 minutes after playing songs for the first time.
Same thing with haste, really. I'm always just glad they don't forget to hit the cure-button.

That in mind, I would never rely on the support too much or even alone on that. Therefore, I like to have a little bit overkill on stats in my sets as well.

To your sets, Light, I think they look good for the means you have and you certainly seem to have an idea how to make and use them. They don't need to be perfect either, important is what you're doing with them.
The only thing I would change is the turban for either hero's or af3 +2 head (because it's not really full fast cast if you don't use everything you have. Haste in that spot is nice but I think it's worth it more to have shorter recast timer for things like flash and the shield skill should help with getting the cast off for things like Ichi or cures.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-07-23 02:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Don't have a Rdm to Refresh II you? I go pretty crazy myself if im not getting 2x march. Fresh II should be more than enough to sustain PLDs MP, at 75 Refresh I was all a PLD needed as well. With CDC or even atonement spam a PLD should not have to be using its MP that often, WHM can get abyssea levels of Refresh with a RDM and Bard around.

some times yes and some times no, but tbh its jsut personal pereferance
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-07-23 02:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

I might look arsh here, but do you see pld in your ls event pretty often?Like often enough to have a rdm AND a brd just for him?no? though so ;p

EDIT: Pretty sure most ppl that actually do low man stuffs using pld doesnt also bring RDM + BRD, even impress if he get one of the both.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-07-23 02:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

To your sets, Light, I think they look good for the means you have and you certainly seem to have an idea how to make and use them. They don't need to be perfect either, important is what you're doing with them.
The only thing I would change is the turban for either hero's or af3 +2 head (because it's not really full fast cast if you don't use everything you have. Haste in that spot is nice but I think it's worth it more to have shorter recast timer for things like flash and the shield skill should help with getting the cast off for things like Ichi or cures.

hehe i just checked my spellcast file, i do use AF head+2 donno why i put turban in there for my fastcast stuff

EDIT: fixed :P
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-07-23 02:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
I might look arsh here, but do you see pld in your ls event pretty often?Like often enough to have a rdm AND a brd just for him?no? though so ;p
He mentioned voidwatch, that should be enough to know what he was implying with having a brd and rdm for pld.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-07-23 02:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hitoseijuro said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
He mentioned voidwatch, that should be enough to know what he was implying with having a brd and rdm for pld.
OHHHH, *** me then (I Guess), did voidwatch few days ago with an ochain/almace pld and he had neither brd or rdm =(
ppl prefered bringing war, nin, sam, blm,whms... instead of bringing rdm/brds.Damn you abyssea :(
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-07-23 02:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

I wish there would be only one time where I would have that luxery for getting haste and marches on a constant basis and without having to ask for it either.
In all those years I've only had BRDs doing their jobs in lvl 75 exp parties. Nowadays it seems to be impossible to get a person who can play 2 songs regularly and not go afk 20 minutes after playing songs for the first time.
Same thing with haste, really. I'm always just glad they don't forget to hit the cure-button.

That in mind, I would never rely on the support too much or even alone on that. Therefore, I like to have a little bit overkill on stats in my sets as well.

Abyssea really has made people lazy ill admit that, at 75 it came down to you NEEDED marches to keep your recast timers down to tank x-mob, Not to mention if you didnt have Slow/Elegy on things like Byakko or Serket (Sandworm Serket) it made them a nightmare to tank people had to do their jobs or you didnt accomplish what you wanted.

Nowadays any MNK and WHM can jump into abyssea and duo just about every mob possible without any effort.

I really miss the old days where people had to work together, Voidwatch seems to be bringing that back somewhat, hopefully the game continues to go in that direction and away from the abyssea style.
[+]
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-07-23 02:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Odin.Hitoseijuro said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
OHHHH, *** me then (I Guess), did voidwatch few days ago with an ochain/almace pld and he had neither brd or rdm =( ppl prefered bringing war, nin, sam, blm,whms... instead of bringing rdm/brds.Damn you abyssea :(
Ochain is a whole different pld, requires less support than a regular shield wielding pld would. Id still bring a bard though.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-07-23 02:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

with voidwatch, imo you should have a RDM or BRD at least in tank PT, people see ochain PLDs as having infinite MP but you can use all that MP really fast with cure cheat spamming. and even though i dont have aegis/ochain, i PLD/WAR for it, its really fun.

anyways back on topic about PLD gear sets, i know my sets are not perfect but it beats the PLDs i see nowadays that dont gear swap. the mentality "i have an ochiain, i dont need gearswaps" relly makes me wanna slap them.

even though PLD dont really get used in Abyssea, i wtill take it in there for fun and try solo stuff, might take longer but its fun.

once i finish ochain i know shield skill is kinda not needed much so might be able to get more on the enmity/MDB/mdt, mainly to cap MDT with shell 4 for soloing, i just wanna have the strongest MDT/MDB set i can. just donno if to keep the PDT stuff, well i use for other jobs but intearms for carrying around on PLD.

i look at people's testing to try optimize my sets but i also test stuff my self reguardless coz i like to know what works for me and not others, what works for 1 person dont really mean it works for others. thats how i gear my sets, thinking of what if i dont have BRD or RDM so i am covered for as much as i can gear wise, then if i really want to, i can make multiple spellcast files to gear depending on my party setup/subjob/event
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-07-23 02:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my current TP set.

If you can afford it White tat will drop you from a 16 hit build to a 15 hit build. I noticed alot of people seem to be uncertain about what to use for the ammo slot still using bows. This also gives you the option to use things like Incantor stone or impatiens when casting Ichi.

I have a pretty firm belief that you should just treat your PLD like any other DD and optimize your TP build as much as possible. When I get my hands on fortitude torque I will be using that over creed Collar.
 Valefor.Sylvr
Server: Valefor
user: Sylvr
By Valefor.Sylvr 2011-07-23 15:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

If you can afford it White tat will drop you from a 16 hit build to a 15 hit build. I noticed alot of people seem to be uncertain about what to use for the ammo slot still using bows. This also gives you the option to use things like Incantor stone or impatiens when casting Ichi.

I have a pretty firm belief that you should just treat your PLD like any other DD and optimize your TP build as much as possible. When I get my hands on fortitude torque I will be using that over creed Collar.

If you're tanking, I don't see the point in worrying about any X-Hit build. Taking any non-0 hit/spell (or even a 0 dmg hit with a Shield Block) will completely invalidate all of that precise sTP calculation.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-07-23 15:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sylvr said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

If you're tanking, I don't see the point in worrying about any X-Hit build. Taking any non-0 hit/spell (or even a 0 dmg hit with a Shield Block) will completely invalidate all of that precise sTP calculation.

You might as well, there is literally nothing better to put in that slot. PLD has a very bad selection of ammo choices.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-07-24 08:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
You might as well, there is literally nothing better to put in that slot. PLD has a very bad selection of ammo choices.
If you are indeed tanking, STP builds are completely void, since you will gain a lot of TP just by getting hit or the shield blocks.
It's the same with taking regain atma(s) when your x-hit build is designed for outside of abyssea, then those STP slots are most likely wasted where you could add more haste/acc/att or w/e.

Technically, since it's supposed to be a TP/DD build, you sacrifice defensive stats for offensive stats. Therefore, I would switch the ammo for some acc item, which is the same for the neck slot.
You have oneiros pebble, thunder sachet for the ammo slot and things like PCC/PCA, zielcharm or the sea torque for the neck slot.
The only thing I could see STP come in handy for is either not getting hit at all or being /dnc and being in need for every extra TP you can get.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-07-24 09:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a minor suggestion, Light. On that rampart set, I'd drop the galea in favor of valor coronet's duration+. Pre-Ochain, Iron will merits are amazing. I actually used rampart far more often for the period of un-interrupt-ability than as a magic def tool. So 15 extra seconds where I can cast freely were more valuable to me.

Also, why the ritter gorget on the full enmity set, when you have a Invidia torque on the rampart set? balancing hp?

Get a Herc ring as a second enmity ring? If that's an inv issue I completely understand. I never got any enmity earrings as it didn't worth the gil/space. Now one of those +4's...

Anyway, good sets
 Bahamut.Alpaka
By Bahamut.Alpaka 2011-07-24 10:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Swapped in mars ring and velo belt and ammo slot pieces and tiara in my flash set
First Page 2 3 4