Forum » FFXI » General » PS3 HDD issue
PS3 HDD issue
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Malekith 2009-04-08 13:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

3 Basic Questions

1. How can you tell how much space your PS3 HDD has?

2. How much space does FFXI + all current updates take?

3. Has anyone else, besides me encountered this message: "The version update has failed due to a 1 GB lack of space on your HDD. Please free up some space."

I'm just sitting here kinda pissed off right now...
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-08 14:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if this helps, but on PC my Playonline folder is 9.13 gigs.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-04-08 14:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

One last thought...

Back when I originally installed FFXI onto my PS3 I had to first DL a "PS2 System Data" patch. After completing that step, I was able to pop in my Vana'Diel collection disc and be on my merry way.

Now that I'm dealing with lack of HDD space, would I 1) be able to delete the "PS2 System Data" and still be able run FFXI? and 2) have enough space to DL the update patch?
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-04-08 14:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok last thought #2

I just switched over to my old reliable PS2 whose HD has 40 Gigs of space and I'm downloading the update without a trucking problem.

/sigh
 Asura.Rahziela
user: Rahziela
By Asura.Rahziela 2009-04-08 14:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I came up with a simple solution to any problems like this when I first got my PS3. I simply replaced the relatively tiny harddrive. All I did was backup what was on the original to an external HD, open the bottom, pull out the old one, put in a Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 2.5" laptop HD, then power up, format, and restore from external.

Voila! Instant permenantly pimp PS3. ^^
Btw, the HD I used to replace the one I took out only cost me $80.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-04-08 14:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

@Rahziela

Good to know that's an option, I may contact you for specifics.

But right now I'm trying to figure out if that's really necessary. If my crappy PS2 with a 40 GIG HDD is able to DL/ Install the update w/o problems why can't I replicate the same with my PS3 which I've found out has a 60 GIG HDD.

One thing to note, I only play FFXI on it. I have nothing else installed. There is no media of any sort so there ought to be room... I'm just stuck scratching my head here...
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2009-04-08 14:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

you can check the HDD space by going into system settings. cant remember off the top of my head exactly since i just moved and dont have it up and running atm. but i too replaced the 60 gig HDD with a 160 gig the first day i got mine. very simple to do. hoping i dont run into same problems installing on ps3 =\

linky
 Garuda.Kaden
Server: Garuda
user: Kadengt
By Garuda.Kaden 2009-04-08 16:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

or you know, you can delete some of your game saves/settings that you never play anymore, music, movies or photos Or some of the games that are still Installed on your system that you never play anymore. Use common sense. it isn't that hard to figure out.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2009-04-08 16:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaden said:
or you know, you can delete some of your game saves/settings that you never play anymore, music, movies or photos Or some of the games that are still Installed on your system that you never play anymore. Use common sense. it isn't that hard to figure out.

common sense doesnt have ***to do with it >.> when playing on ps3, it creates a partition only slightly larger than the size of the game.
 Garuda.Kaden
By Garuda.Kaden 2009-04-08 17:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, since i don't play ffxi on the ps3, i wouldn't know that. but you know, since everything else installs without making a partition. one would ASSUME that it installed like all the other games install. hence forth why i said use common sense, you ***.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-04-08 18:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaden said:
Hmm, since i don't play ffxi on the ps3, i wouldn't know that. but you know, since everything else installs without making a partition. one would ASSUME that it installed like all the other games install. hence forth why i said use common sense, you ***.

Dude... thanks for the non-help. IF you DO NOT own a PS3 don't comment. It just clutters the thread.

And if you head read you'd see that I have N-O-T-H-I-N-G loaded on the PS3 but FFXI. There is nothing else on the machine.

It's just aggravating that it seems the problem lays with the size of the partition. And it doesn't seem like there's a way that one can manually set its size. Once you load FFXI off the disc, the partition size is set automatically. ;>.>

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem besides me... I know I'm not the only PS3 console player
 Garuda.Kaden
By Garuda.Kaden 2009-04-09 05:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

uhh, I do own it. and no where in your original post does it say that you have NOTHING on your machine. nice. and once again, I DONT PLAY FFXI ON THE PS3, so how would I know that :) not anywhere in there did I say, I don't OWN a ps3. You can tell I have a ps3, cuz I have the PSN ID under my name on here.

Aside from all that, I could ask my friend who DOES play on the ps3 with ffxi and he doesn't have this issue at all. Of course, You don't even say what size your ps3 is (but im gonna go with a 800 gig, since it plays ps2 games but you needed the patch) unless the 60's made you do this too, not sure. my roomates 60 gig gave him the YLOD.

so aside from all that other stuff, I would LOVE to help you out, but since I don't play it on there i can't really say one way or the other. if I had a 60 gb ps3, i'd throw in my copy of ffxi for ps2 on there and go through and see if I generate the same issues. Maybe if you Uninstalled it and re-installed it, it might work, but, you may not be willing to do that cuz of all the updates and the sizes of them
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-04-09 06:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
@Rahziela

But right now I'm trying to figure out if that's really necessary. If my crappy PS2 with a 40 GIG HDD is able to DL/ Install the update w/o problems why can't I replicate the same with my PS3 which I've found out has a 60 GIG HDD.

One thing to note, I only play FFXI on it. I have nothing else installed. There is no media of any sort so there ought to be room... I'm just stuck scratching my head here...

Kaden, read it right there, 3rd paragraph, 2nd line, He Said it.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-04-09 08:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

After much hell, I'm finally able to play. Although the remedy entailed me reinstalling everything from scratch.

At least now I know from the get-go the partition created from installing is 12 gigs. I'm hoping I won't have to deal with this again come next update in several months.

Anyways, I hope the info posted here helps someone. Although honestly... I really hope no one else has to go through the shenanigans I went through.
 Garuda.Kaden
By Garuda.Kaden 2009-04-09 17:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Blackmist said:
Malekith said:
@Rahziela

Kaden, read it right there, 3rd paragraph, 2nd line, He Said it.

I clearly missed that since it wasn't in his original one, and i skimmed the rest. That is my bad, so get off my Jock.

GJ on gettin it fixed Malekith. sucks that you had to reinstall though. but at least it works now, Right?