users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Shield Skill
Shield Skill
 Cerberus.Oseryu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Oseryu 2011-06-19 20:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the easiest/fastest way to level this up?

Btw, IDK if there has been previous forums on this if so a point in the right direction would be nice. Thanks.
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-06-19 20:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

make an ochain
[+]
 Leviathan.Maphis
Server: Leviathan
user: Maphis
By Leviathan.Maphis 2011-06-19 20:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

i went to abby altept put on regen/def atmas. used a bloom buckler.
fought the mandys.. pull like 5-8 at a time.
use sanguine blade ws to heal yerself.. took like 2-3hrs to cap.
[+]
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-06-19 20:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fondue said:
make an ochain

This!
 Cerberus.Oseryu
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Oseryu 2011-06-19 20:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Maphis said:
i went to abby altept put on regen/def atmas. used a bloom buckler. fought the mandys.. pull like 5-8 at a time. use sanguine blade ws to heal yerself.. took like 2-3hrs to cap.

Mind if i ask which atmas you were using?
 Leviathan.Jekyll
user: surfjam04
By Leviathan.Jekyll 2011-06-19 20:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea Attowha, get 50% pdt through gear/atmas, phalanx (don't let it drop), pull ALL the mandies (they'll hit for 0), back against a wall, enjoy skillups and recast phalanx as necessary
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-19 20:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Jekyll said:
Abyssea Attowha, get 50% pdt through gear/atmas, phalanx (don't let it drop), pull ALL the mandies (they'll hit for 0), back against a wall, enjoy skillups and recast phalanx as necessary
This. Unless the mobs are leveled up or your enhancing is severely gimped you'll take little or no damage via this method. Don't melee them, just position them all so that they're blockable.
 Phoenix.Studboy
Server: Phoenix
user: Studboy
By Phoenix.Studboy 2011-06-19 20:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Item set I use. I know it can be better but this works.

Mounted Champion, Sea Daughter, Smiting Blow (preference, can swap with MAB Atma).

Bring some friends, let them leech and hold KI's, and just kill all Altepa mandies with AE. Took shield from 160ish to capped in about 2 4 hour sessions personally. As stated above, phalanx up at ALL times, and I generally stoneskin, aquaviel, phalanx, run around the pond, get to camp (I find a corner or wall to ensure at least most mobs are in front of you), hit Sentinel, recast phalanx, cast reprisal, then go to town. Drop stoneskin if it is still up when you fight, it kills your tp gain.

Edit: Dagger has accuracy, body had PDT -5% and fast cast +3, ring has PDT -5%, and I recently swapped Ethereal for Hecate's for more damage.
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2011-06-19 20:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Jekyll said:

I essentially did this, except I used regen/defense atmas with pdt gear

Use a small shield, something with shield skill + like master shield
I used /sch and used celerity reprisal. Also make sure to keep up phalanx on at all times.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2011-06-19 20:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'm a WAR rather than PLD, but really it's not too different (prolly easier on PLD, what with Reprisal and higher skill and more skill gear and Phalanx). I typically just put on Regen atmas and Bloom Buckler and tank 5-6 mandies at once (PLD can prolly get away with 7-8 of them at once, I'm sure). I used the Orapodiums at flux 8 in Misareaux, but Fear Dearg in Altepa at flux 6 is also an option. As for what regen atmas I used, it was Sea Daughter (30/tick, but during daytime only), Mounted Champion (20/tick, and VIT+50), and Impenetrable (15/tick). Though I just got Vicissitude, so I may use that in place of Impenetrable (same regen, but defense+40 and minor magic def. bonus).
 Leviathan.Jekyll
user: surfjam04
By Leviathan.Jekyll 2011-06-19 21:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Considered adding this to my post but I may as well just add it down here.

So, if you're too lazy about gear (which I was) the below set will work fine w/ Winged Gloom/Stronghold/Mounted Champion (2 Regen atmas to compensate for the dot on Winged Gloom. You'll be capped on PDT, just like I said, keep up phalanx.

Leviathan.Maphis
user: Maphis
By Leviathan.Maphis 2011-06-19 21:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

think i used Mounted champ/Viscatude/Apoc never had a issue tho i never pulled more then 8.. other methods listed sound faster :D
never was in a hurry tho. also should note had af feet+1/boxer mantle/af3 head+2 for added skill
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-06-19 21:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

did this with my simba buckler 3 regen/def atmas and phalanx up full time. some -evasion gear helps. i didnt engage but did use reprasial a few times cause i like the animation, but is not a must.

id also like to clarify what Jekyll and Nightfyre mean when the collectively mean position them. what you will want to do is have either your left or right side against a wall so they bunch up together so they will hit your shield. cant block if they arent facing your frontal area. took me a few tries to get all the mandies in position. i hope this helps, gl
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-06-19 21:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Agerknux said:
Leviathan.Jekyll said:

I essentially did this, except I used regen/defense atmas with pdt gear

Use a small shield, something with shield skill + like master shield
I used /sch and used celerity reprisal. Also make sure to keep up phalanx on at all times.

ahh yes i forgot this too. like he said /sch is really cool for the celerity and the +enhancing magic skill from light arts make phalanx even better.
By Blazed1979 2011-06-20 02:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

276 shield skill to cap in 15-20 minutes.
Abyssea Altepa, Monitors.
WHM mule curing.
 Sylph.Rorrick
Server: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-06-20 03:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said:
276 shield skill to cap in 15-20 minutes.
Abyssea Altepa, Monitors.
WHM mule curing.

Would not those black mandies near Cujatender be easier/faster? They hit for squat and double attack.
By Blazed1979 2011-06-20 03:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

the monitors higher level i think and I needed chariot.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-20 03:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Question folks... Wouldn't the Sipar actually be the best shield to use here? I think it has a hidden like billion percent block rate (realistically I think its like 85% or higher.. no? Its hidden effect is high proc rate and its size 1)
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-06-20 03:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure that got nerfed
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-20 03:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh damn really? Weaksauce.... oh well, there went my only suggestion for this thread...Sorry folks, carry on lol
By Blazed1979 2011-06-20 03:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

got nerfed around same time reprisal/aegis were nerfed. Reprisal with aegis was giving 90+ % block rate when the spell first came out.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [36 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2011-07-25 19:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to quickly ungimp my outdated pld, I stumbled upon this thread and tried a couple things. This corner ended up working the best because they gather all in front of you. Atmas: Zenith/Heavens/Mounted (I don't have blighted gloom), levels of mobs DC-T. Mounted wasn't needed at all as I only take 2 damage on occasion (sub SCH probably would have taken care of that), though I don't know what I'd replace it with. Ultimately went from 310 to 361 in 20 minutes.

Incidentally I decided to engage one just outside of my 60 degree range for parry skill ups and while nowhere near as insane as shield, they are still coming in. Getting approximately 6 skill levels per 30 minutes at this rate. Is there a better way to skill parry (at least up to 310) or have I hit something pretty good here?