users online
Forum » FFXI » General » SMN BPs
SMN BPs
 Cerberus.Shuhisiihi
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Shuhisiihi 2009-04-04 15:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

As you know they are updating the merited BPs so obviously there are going to be stronger but i have a feeling even if they are well merited they still arent going to be stronger then PC..but you never know with SE..so i decided to get the Royal redingote for SMN from the new equipment coming out with the mini-expansion. My question is with these 4 augments (Pet: Acc +15 Racc +15, Att +15 Ratt +15, Macc +7 MAB +7, and Double Att + 2% Critical hit rate +2%) i think i going to get the Acc and Att for DD but if the merit BPs end up being better then PC the Macc and MAB would be better since they are magic based...if thats the case i would probably go Acc and Macc & MAB...i just wanted to hear peoples opinion on this matter...
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-04 15:36:32
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I say test out the merited BPs to see how the updated power makes them and if they're a significant boost go with the MAB & Magic Acc then have some pet accuracy on the side since that's the #1 issue with physical based BPs. I swear Garuda closes her eyes before she does Predator Claws sometimes -.-
 Diabolos.Aphy
Server: Diabolos
user:
By Diabolos.Aphy 2009-04-04 16:08:58

Well this is how I am doing my piece for smn, im gonna get avatar cost -2 and pet acc. This being is for PC. Yes se *might* screw with the bp and make the magic one more dmg, but I believe there are more mobs that are more resistant to magic than to physical damage. For instance, for things like HNM blms have a elemental skill kit just because u need all the magic acc u can get to do decent damage. Now lets replace that with avatars. There is some gear out there to increase magic acc but not alot, and taking the magic acc the avatars already have, its not going to top all the str and acc on physical attacks you can have with your smn's.

Overall I see you have high hopes se is gonna make the avatars godly with the elemental BP's but I dont see it being stronger than the already awesome bp's they have now. Depending if ur a believer over str over acc then go for str but as for me ive noticed my dmg over time > ppl's spike damage every so often ^^ just my two cents.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-04 16:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus, only 2 BP70s are not worth it.

Burning Strike (or Ifrit's BP) and Rush (Shiva's BP)

Merit Ifrit's and Shiva's BPs to 5, and you got the following.

"WTF, SMN actually a good DD at all times now?"
 Cerberus.Shuhisiihi
By Cerberus.Shuhisiihi 2009-04-04 16:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

the only reason i didnt even consider avatar -2 is because i would never need it since i have YY robe which is the best body.. im looking for a piece of gear to optimize dmg that i would switch in and out not full time thats why i was focused on the two that would either raise dmg for physical or magic based BPs...at least for me i dont see how -2 would help if im only switching the gear in and out and i wouldnt full time this gear over YY

If PC continues to be the strongest BP i think the acc and att still be a more beneficial choice
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-04 16:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shuhisiihi said:
the only reason i didnt even consider avatar -2 is because i would never need it since i have YY robe which is the best body.. im looking for a piece of gear to optimize dmg that i would switch in and out not full time thats why i was focused on the two that would either raise dmg for physical or magic based BPs...at least for me i dont see how -2 would help if im only switching the gear in and out and i wouldnt full time this gear over YY

If PC continues to be the strongest BP i think the acc and att still be a more beneficial choice

Hate to break it to you, but YY robe is not the best body for SMN.

Its a great body, and great for getting MP back quickly, but its not the best. Summoner's Doublet is better than YY robe because of the following:
Avatar perp -3, and Avatar Crit+3%.

Now, you are going to say the following: Avatar perp -3 is only for certain days. I'm going to counter that by saying the following: With merits in the right places (Physical Acc and Physicall Att, plus Ifrit/Shiva BPs at 5) then your avatar is going to be the absolute best on all days.....except for lightsday. Thats when YY robe shines over Summoner's Doublet.

I'm not saying never get either/or. I'm just saying that both are good only in certain situations. Physical > Magical damage when unresisted on either (meaning whiff on Physical or resistant on Magical)
 Cerberus.Shuhisiihi
By Cerberus.Shuhisiihi 2009-04-04 16:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Shuhisiihi said:

Hate to break it to you, but YY robe is not the best body for SMN.

Its a great body, and great for getting MP back quickly, but its not the best. Summoner's Doublet is better than YY robe because of the following:
Avatar perp -3, and Avatar Crit+3%.

Now, you are going to say the following: Avatar perp -3 is only for certain days. I'm going to counter that by saying the following: With merits in the right places (Physical Acc and Physicall Att, plus Ifrit/Shiva BPs at 5) then your avatar is going to be the absolute best on all days.....except for lightsday. Thats when YY robe shines over Summoner's Doublet.

I'm not saying never get either/or. I'm just saying that both are good only in certain situations. Physical > Magical damage when unresisted on either (meaning whiff on Physical or resistant on Magical)

that is true...but as far as the new gear goes putting -2 would be worthless since the doublet would easily kill that DD and prep wise

Doublet is debatable sense your talking dmg imo.. because if your soloing i would still take the enmity over the added dmg since like you said avatar perp -3 is a certain day even with full merits.....unless the day was right i wouldnt full time in it..

I do have to admit that doublet would be better dmg wise...

do you think the doublet would still be better then the smn gear from the expansion?
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-04 17:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

As you pointed out, Doublet's weakness is the day of the week.

I would still put -2 perp cost and pet acc+15 on the mage body, because I would love to have 2 mp per tick Garuda at all times, and 1 mp per tick Garuda on Windsday, than 1 mp on Windsday, and 4 mp on every other day.
 Cerberus.Shuhisiihi
By Cerberus.Shuhisiihi 2009-04-04 17:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
As you pointed out, Doublet's weakness is the day of the week.

I would still put -2 perp cost and pet acc+15 on the mage body, because I would love to have 2 mp per tick Garuda at all times, and 1 mp per tick Garuda on Windsday, than 1 mp on Windsday, and 4 mp on every other day.

i guess its different for me cause mp isnt really an issue.... as a taru 1400+ mp comes easy...
 Caitsith.Faythful
Server: Caitsith
user: Faythful
By Caitsith.Faythful 2009-04-04 17:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well my opinion is personally about the summoners doublet/YRR I'd take YYR, I've never noticed an increase of Critical hits on my avatar, and i would take the +5 Enmity and refresh over something that's 1/100 hits if that. Rather have my 2 seconds back and ability to keep my avatar out a bit longer also, if your looking for something to help increase ATT or DEF i would go with the head band for garuda over the relic body. Now a days i don't use any avatars for melee other then Leviathan and gardua anyways. In the end to me, Summoners doublet just isn't worth the inventory-1 and macro swapping
 Cerberus.Shuhisiihi
By Cerberus.Shuhisiihi 2009-04-04 17:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i use karura for garuda..thats why i was gonna focus the new gear on DD so i can swap...but main in YY
 Caitsith.Faythful
By Caitsith.Faythful 2009-04-04 17:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Also if you need ACC help on your avatar, Dunno what your set up is, but try getting some more SMN magic gear. It does help you miss less on BP's and increase ACC on regular attacks. Hope this helps alittle IF you wanna PM me i can help you set up a good equipment set up so you can get a nice body for smn when the expansion comes out!
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-04 17:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Faythful said:
Also if you need ACC help on your avatar, Dunno what your set up is, but try getting some more SMN magic gear. It does help you miss less on BP's and increase ACC on regular attacks. Hope this helps alittle IF you wanna PM me i can help you set up a good equipment set up so you can get a nice body for smn when the expansion comes out!

If I remember right, all SMN magic skill does is adjust the AI on spirits, and increase the MP you get from Elemental Syphon.

SMN magic does nothing to help the Avatars, just level of the SMN themselves.
 Caitsith.Faythful
By Caitsith.Faythful 2009-04-04 17:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand what you mean lol Smn magic does nothing to help the avatars just the level of the smn themselves? /confused.

well as far as i know it does, When im wearing no smn magic gear i see a ton of misses on things like Odin and such, With smn magic gear on, torque, marduk head earring, cape, I see a good increase on my acc. So thats not just from some site, its just from experience.

been a smn for 3 years and been trying to get the best gear i can for it and its just something i've experienced. maybe my characters just special =P
 Diabolos.Aphy
Server: Diabolos
user:
By Diabolos.Aphy 2009-04-04 18:12:31

Korpg said:
Faythful said:

If I remember right, all SMN magic skill does is adjust the AI on spirits, and increase the MP you get from Elemental Syphon.

SMN magic does nothing to help the Avatars, just level of the SMN themselves.

Even tho with every word u said up to this point I have agreed with, how u view smn skill I do not agree with. Higher smn skill u have the higher ur pet acc and str are. Its like Elemental skill or Enfeebleing. The higher ur smn skill is the less likely u miss and the harder they hit on mobs with high defence and evasion.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-04-04 18:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah. Summon skill plays a pretty huge part in how a summon performs. I'm gonna guess Korpg didn't do SMN before Rage and Ward were seperated, and before SE added the higher rate of skill ups when using a Blood Pact. Getting a high level and having a gimp skill wasn't funny at all. Damage does less, accuracy does less, MACC does less...your skill is converted into the overall stats of your avatar. Capping it is all important, and finding some extra skill never, ever hurts.

But if you can find something that says "Increases avatar's accuracy", you're gonna notice that before you notice something from the skill itself.
 Cerberus.Shuhisiihi
By Cerberus.Shuhisiihi 2009-04-04 18:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I knew all the stuff relating to smn magic.. thats why i said acc and att is what i might get for the augmentable gear...im a taru so imo avatar perp isnt the direction i need to go in...more DD is always gonna be great for smn :D
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-04 18:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I'm only going by what I read on wiki.

I haven't really noticed anything on SMN with SMN magic, because my setup is always 300+.

I could try to increase it to 320, but seeing how rarely I get to go to events as SMN, I don't see any point. The reason why I would love to have the new mage body with perp-2 is so I would have 2 perp cost for Garuda at all times.

Or is it 3? I haven't checked in a while.

Either way, 3 perp cost > 5 perp cost.
 Seraph.Alithir
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Alithir 2009-04-14 11:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Accuracy +15 for 70 Bp's yes please, Av perp -2 Yes please. Since the merit BP adjustment, even if you go with Pet: MAB+7 MACC+7 you're only going to notice MAYBE a 70 dmg increase to your already now decent elemental magic spells. The difference would be a comparison that looks like for (example ie...base dmg 1010 to augment adjustment MAB+7 1080). You still won't be compared to a blm, you still waste a ton of MP when you use them, and you still won't do more dmg than your 70 bp's. Now I know that an extra 70 dmg may be the difference in weather you live or die however, if It truly came down to that situation, you would still use a 70 BP, save MP and guarantee a victory rather then flirt with the danger of an elemental magic resist. I don't care how much MACC is on there, elemental resists come and go and I don't think you'd give a crap in using a merit BP in that kind of situation just because you think it looks cool.

In all, the only time you would potentially need your merit bps is when your fighting Tiamat and it takes flight and you don't want to use Diabolos. Even then, with the new adjustment your gonna do decent dmg when he's in flight anyway, so what if you do 70 more dmg and it sticks a few more times then normal, you'll still never use them for anything else super important other than to amuse yourself. No one is gonna say, "OMG we can't find a BLM, can you bring your smn and use your merit BP's instead please."

For smn. Avatar Perp -2 Accuracy +15 or go home. If your BP timers are short, put your YY robe on in between BP's, Simple as that, and you get the best of both worlds refreshing while you're waiting. The only way I see a smn in Accuracy +15 and MACC+7 MAB+7 is if you have a penance robe. Even then, I would still go Perp -2 Accuracy +15 and sell that robe for 7mil before the price drops even more now it's not obsolete anymore.
Amen!
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-14 11:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If I was getting the mage body for Smn, I'd get the pet: acc/atk.

A couple things that I find interesting are whether the Sacrifice Torque provides a larger bonus than the Summoning Torque and whether the Koschei Crackows provide a larger boost than the Summoner's Pigaches / Summoner's Pigaches +1.