Cleaving Setup?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » cleaving setup?
cleaving setup?
 Carbuncle.Blazer
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-05-29 11:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Just was wondering what's the best gear/atma setup for gold box cleaving as pld? I'm almost finished with Ochain, and would really like to do it right when I get it.

Thanks^
 Phoenix.Studboy
Server: Phoenix
user: Studboy
By Phoenix.Studboy 2011-05-29 19:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

When I cleave solo on PLD, I go PLD/RDM, Pro5, buff with Phalanx, Stoneskin, and Aquaveil, and do my pull. When I get to the kill spot, I hit Sentinel, refresh Phalanx, put up Reprisal, turn and go to town.

Dagger has accuracy bonus, Paragon has PDT -5%, Fast Cast +3, Dark Ring has PDT -5%. Basically PDT > shield > AE damage enhance.

I know my set has holes and could be better by +2'ing some gear (PLD no where near my main) and getting other PDT gear, but it's a start, and works great for me on things like mandies and apkallu.

Atma of the Sea Daughter
Atma of the Mounted Champion
Atma of the Smiting Blow (can be replaced with MAB, I just see better with this)
 Shiva.Msthief
Server: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-05-29 19:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I just wanted to say that martial knives are incredibly expensive for a reason. If you want to be lazy yet have a good setup, this dagger alone + atma is pretty amazing.

*It increases your ftp value by more than 25%
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-05-29 19:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:
I just wanted to say that martial knives are incredibly expensive for a reason. If you want to be lazy yet have a good setup, this dagger alone + atma is pretty amazing.

*It increases your ftp value by more than 25%
Aren't all martial weapons tp bonus +100?
edit: nvm, you meant the ftp of the weaponskill ^^
 Phoenix.Studboy
By Phoenix.Studboy 2011-05-29 20:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:
I just wanted to say that martial knives are incredibly expensive for a reason. If you want to be lazy yet have a good setup, this dagger alone + atma is pretty amazing. *It increases your ftp value by more than 25%

Martial weapons do increase the damage of WS's alot...

For jobs that can equip them...

One of which isn't Paladin...

Just sayin'.
 Shiva.Msthief
Server: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-05-29 20:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladin doesn't get it? My bad - I just remembered seeing a ton of jobs listed and assumed it was everyone that had a reasonable skill in dagger. Sucks for you guys :(.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-05-29 20:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Just use a Staff and Cata Cleave, you don't have to use a ***sub job to do it either.
 Phoenix.Studboy
By Phoenix.Studboy 2011-05-29 20:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Just use a Staff and Cata Cleave, you don't have to use a ***sub job to do it either.

What subjob would you use then?

I understand, and know, that in a situation where you are building TE's or whatnot and doing other things in the zone, /rdm is clearly not the optiomal choice (also PLD wouldn't be the optimal choice). However, in the case of solely gold chest farming, you get MAB from /rdm, as well as some sort of refresh to avoid wasting an atma on it.

Also, I do Cata Cleave on things that are wind resistant, however, the TP bonus from shield mastery builds tp to the point of basically WS'ing once every 1-2 seconds, faster than staff.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kwontess
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kwontess
By Lakshmi.Kwontess 2011-05-29 21:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're finishing up ochain I'd say go for dagger over staff. If you position the mobs correctly and pull enough you can easily get TP every 10 seconds and if you're feeling brave you can knock that down more. The apkallu in Misereaux Coast are very easy to self chain on.

For atmas I use Gales/Smiting Blow/Ultimate or I replace Smiting Blow with MM if I feel like mp is going to be an issue. The damage difference isn't that much.

The set I currently use is based mostly upon random things I found in my mog (plus some cheap stuff on the AH, it's not worth splurging for in my opinion). I'm sure it could be improved, but I'm fairly happy with the numbers. Usually the pull is the part that takes the longest, killing goes very fast. Some sort of +movement speed is also very useful.

Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-05-30 00:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I would just /WAR, using Ultimate, Cosmos, and Smiting Blow.

If you are just building TE there is no reason to gimp your sub job, if you are Cleaving for XP then play Warrior.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-30 00:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

If you are just building TE there is no reason to gimp your sub job, if you are Cleaving for XP then play Blue Mage.
Fixed!

I do agree that dagger > staff for Ochain since it permits a completely self-sufficient setup, plus Ochain will accelerate your TP gain to the point that Aeolian Edge will kill at least as fast if not faster than Cataclysm. To that end, should be using Gales instead of Cosmos. Using /WAR over /RDM is certainly preferable if you plan on doing other things in zone later.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-05-30 01:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't you gain TP a lot slower without shield mastery though? Dmgwise Aeolian shouldn't be that far behind cata, maybe like a couple hundred I'd imagine...
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-05-30 01:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You've got me there Evil Twin, CW is pretty amazing D:
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-05-30 01:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
I would just /WAR, using Ultimate, Cosmos, and Smiting Blow. If you are just building TE there is no reason to gimp your sub job, if you are Cleaving for XP then play Blue Mage.
Fixed! I do agree that dagger > staff for Ochain since it permits a completely self-sufficient setup, plus Ochain will accelerate your TP gain to the point that Aeolian Edge will kill at least as fast if not faster than Cataclysm. To that end, should be using Gales instead of Cosmos. Using /WAR over /RDM is certainly preferable if you plan on doing other things in zone later.
Also, don't you not get AE if you're using /war? /nin would work though
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-30 01:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tarowyn said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
I would just /WAR, using Ultimate, Cosmos, and Smiting Blow. If you are just building TE there is no reason to gimp your sub job, if you are Cleaving for XP then play Blue Mage.
Fixed! I do agree that dagger > staff for Ochain since it permits a completely self-sufficient setup, plus Ochain will accelerate your TP gain to the point that Aeolian Edge will kill at least as fast if not faster than Cataclysm. To that end, should be using Gales instead of Cosmos. Using /WAR over /RDM is certainly preferable if you plan on doing other things in zone later.
Also, don't you not get AE if you're using /war? /nin would work though
Oops, forgot PLD doesn't get AE natively. Could also use /DNC or /THF depending on your priorities.
 Phoenix.Studboy
By Phoenix.Studboy 2011-05-30 01:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

If you are just building TE there is no reason to gimp your sub job, if you are Cleaving for XP then play Warrior.

Carbuncle.Blazer said:
Just was wondering what's the best gear/atma setup for gold box cleaving as pld? I'm almost finished with Ochain, and would really like to do it right when I get it.

Thanks^

I was doing the same thing on PLD recently, hence my answers. I was able to go PLD, with a mule (not leveled for dual box), and AE golds for Heqet and Sobek pops for Masamune and Kannagi (would wait for more LS members for other drops on NM's). I use MC for it's regen (probably not as important with Ochain), Sea Daughter for more regen and tp, and SB because I get better results damage wise with that set. Doing that, I don't need a healer like a WAR would, I keep time up to not waste stones, I save a few NM kills for the group when we are doing the NM's, and I make a little gil with other drops while at it.

Never said my set-up was the most potent or efficient. WAR and WHM or RDM kills faster, I know that. Don't always have the mage around though, and sadly, I'm NOT that much into the game to level a dualbox mage.

Also, lol @ being useful afterwards. If he's going for that, he can change to MNK or THF that he has leveled.
 Carbuncle.Blazer
Server: Carbuncle
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-05-30 02:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Studboy said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

Carbuncle.Blazer said:

Thanks^

I was doing the same thing on PLD recently, hence my answers. I was able to go PLD, with a mule (not leveled for dual box), and AE golds for Heqet and Sobek pops for Masamune and Kannagi (would wait for more LS members for other drops on NM's). I use MC for it's regen (probably not as important with Ochain), Sea Daughter for more regen and tp, and SB because I get better results damage wise with that set. Doing that, I don't need a healer like a WAR would, I keep time up to not waste stones, I save a few NM kills for the group when we are doing the NM's, and I make a little gil with other drops while at it.

Never said my set-up was the most potent or efficient. WAR and WHM or RDM kills faster, I know that. Don't always have the mage around though, and sadly, I'm NOT that much into the game to level a dualbox mage.

Also, lol @ being useful afterwards. If he's going for that, he can change to MNK or THF that he has leveled.

^^ this. Yeah I am just talking about farming golds on pld. (side note) Yeah I plan to continue to mnk, thf, or blm for most abyssea stuff.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [57 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Cycerath
Server: Leviathan
user: Cycerath
By Leviathan.Cycerath 2011-07-26 01:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

i've been burning on pld for a long time, not so much in the past couple months since i lvl'd blu. but farmed up all my glavoid sets this way. pld/rdm using cata for camps where monsters don't link/aggro. use pld/sam for camps where they link and/or aggro. i like /sam cause of sekkanoki/hasso/storeTP/meditate, in altepa i can take down a group of mandies in about 4 cataclysms using cosmos/ultimate/sea daughter. my friend does the same except he uses /war cause he refuses to lvl /sam for who knows what reason. i found that after my 3rd cataclysm i could hit sentinal, cancel phalanx and my tp would shoot up. works very nicely for speeding things up towards the end.
 Valefor.Sylvr
Server: Valefor
user: Sylvr
By Valefor.Sylvr 2011-07-28 02:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

If you are just building TE there is no reason to gimp your sub job, if you are Cleaving for XP then play Blue Mage.
Fixed!

I know it's a 2 month old post, but BLU Cleave is worse for XP/Cruor than WAR Cleave because you only get XP/Cruor for 8 simultaneous kills at a time. Typically with BLU Cleaving, you kill every mob you pull at once while WAR Cleave tends to stagger the kills more. You could limit your pulls to ~8 on BLU, but then you get less chests (meaning less XP/Cruor chests).
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-07-28 06:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure they fixed that an update or two ago. The cap on exp from mass simultaneous kills I mean.
 Phoenix.Gustavve
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-07-28 08:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said:
I'm pretty sure they fixed that an update or two ago. The cap on exp from mass simultaneous kills I mean.

From eyeballing my exp while farming time it has not been fixed. I did not put a lot of effort into it but I'm 99% sure you only get exp for 8.
 Fenrir.Uzugami
user: SSJAV
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-07-28 08:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gustavve said:
Ragnarok.Martel said:

From eyeballing my exp while farming time it has not been fixed. I did not put a lot of effort into it but I'm 99% sure you only get exp for 8.

It's capped at 8~10 (I got random amounts of EXP that = above 8.) per pull.
 Valefor.Sylvr
Server: Valefor
user: Sylvr
By Valefor.Sylvr 2011-07-31 02:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said:

I believe that what they fixed was the mechanic that limited the amount of XP you could receive from a single source. Before, you couldn't attain more than 1 full level from a single source (the prime example would be MMM XP chest). If you WOULD get more than 1 level, it would instead put you 1 tnl at 1 level higher than you were (say I'm 1 XP into lvl 15 and the XP granted would normally give me like 3 levels; it would instead only take me to lvl 16 with 1 tnl to lvl 17).

At least, this is what I assume it fixed. I have NOT confirmed this, though I HAVE confirmed that the fix was NOT to how many simultaneously killed mobs you receive XP from.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-07-31 02:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Uzugami said:
Phoenix.Gustavve said:
Ragnarok.Martel said:

It's capped at 8~10 (I got random amounts of EXP that = above 8.) per pull.

Those may be retalliation deaths.