First Page 2 3 4 5
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-28 18:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had to delete four long threads today, two at the behest of the original posters and two because they devolved into explosive douchebaggery. Those responsible know who they are.

Just a friendly reminder:

FFXIAH.com is officially apolitical and religiously unaffiliated, and there is no strict rule against ideological debates on this site.

That having been said, if your only purpose on these boards is to turn every thread into an explosive argument about the above, you are not welcome here. This puts you in violation of FFXIAH.com's "don't be a douchebag" rule, and you will be asked to leave.

If you misunderstand this polite request as some sort of "bias" or "persecution" against your ideological beliefs -- whatever they may be -- that pretty much just verifies why the rule is being applied to you.

This is an auction house information site about an online RPG. Please keep this in perspective. It is not Daily Kos nor Free Republic. There are plenty of sites out there who's whole mission statement is to cater to ideological douchebaggery from either side, and we are not one of them.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-28 18:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Aren't these the only rules?
NO excessive swearing
NO selling of virtual currency or accounts
NO advertising products or sites that are inappropriate
NO racism or sectarianism
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-28 18:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Over a year ago, sure. You'll notice the original thread also said they were "subject to change at any second." As people seem unable to play nicely under these original rules, they are being replaced with the golden FFXIAH.com rule: don't be a douchebag, as per my many posts stating such in the past.

If someone wants to lawyer up and make me enumerate all the myriad ways one could potentially violate said rule, as though we're some kind of police state, that's probably a good indication that it applies to them.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-28 18:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I joined only a month or so ago so those 4 things were the only things I saw. An update to that post might be nice.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-28 18:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL A+ Jaerik ^^
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-28 18:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
This puts you in violation of FFXIAH.com's "don't be a douchebag" rule

Not only a good rule for FFXIAH.com, but for life in general, in my oh so humble opinion...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-28 18:57:05
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Sigh, that message was badly needed, people are getting out of hand with derailing threads or making things more complex than they need to be. lol

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-03-28 19:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

\o_o/
 Shiva.Klaw
Server: Shiva
user: Klaw
By Shiva.Klaw 2009-03-28 19:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

also i think you should put that warning into effect on those that start baiting threads. like for example one of the ones you deleted that made accusations on ppl who did not violate any of the terms of service or forum rules.
i think any threads started should be at least constructive or informative in some nature. starting threads of your own little skewed opions on players is just asking for douchebaggery and i feel they are partly responsible
 Seraph.Octaviusc
Server: Seraph
user: Octaviusc
By Seraph.Octaviusc 2009-03-28 19:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I see plenty of swearing on here and that doesn't ever seem to get dealt with. If by voicing ones opinion about a thread that has already been started by someone else is wrong, then what's the point of even having a forum to begin with? I do not believe I was out of line posting my thoughts as I have seen much worse on here as well as other forums.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-28 19:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

In two months time: "Yet Another Friendly Reminder". Need to start warning people.
 Midgardsormr.Epics
Server: Midgardsormr
user: syztems
By Midgardsormr.Epics 2009-03-28 19:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

most of the people posting here were the main ones fueling the fire. there is really nothing wrong with people arguing, i admit eventually it gets lame but i say let the fire burn. acting like were all sheltered little kids who gasp at the word *** is just boring.
Server: Siren
user: stunnax
By Siren.Windowshopper 2009-03-28 19:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

klaw, u dont know what ur talking about and u fall under the douchebaggery rule
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-28 19:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Arguing with an admin = getting banned.

Even I'm not that stupid.
 Midgardsormr.Epics
By Midgardsormr.Epics 2009-03-28 19:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Arguing with an admin = getting banned.

Even I'm not that stupid.

im sure the admins here arent the sensitive shitty BG admins
 Ramuh.Kyamiiux
Server: Ramuh
user: Kyamiiux
By Ramuh.Kyamiiux 2009-03-28 19:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I love the Admins on this site, they're so real.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-28 20:04:59

I appreciate the administrative actions taken to clean up some of the recent flaming messes made recently on the forums. Unfortunately the admins aren't always going to be so Johnny On The Spot to hold our hands when things get more rough than they need to be.

It's vital to practice self-moderation and have consideration for others. Otherwise you don't belong here to begin with. Alas, this again is strictly opinion based. Keep up the good work Jaerik and everyone else. It never gets said enough but I appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into keeping the site on a clean and professional and somewhat fun level for everyone.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-28 20:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I appreciate the administrative actions taken to clean up some of the recent flaming messes made recently on the forums. Unfortunately the admins aren't always going to be so Johnny On The Spot to hold our hands when things get more rough than they need to be.

It's vital to practice self-moderation and have consideration for others. Otherwise you don't belong here to begin with. Alas, this again is strictly opinion based. Keep up the good work Jaerik and everyone else. It never gets said enough but I appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into keeping the site on a clean and professional and somewhat fun level for everyone.

^this.
 Midgardsormr.Epics
By Midgardsormr.Epics 2009-03-28 20:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

some people make it sound like a slightly derailed, already unnecessary thread is the end of all things. even swearing isn't that big of a deal. what do you do when you hear someone swearing in person? run across the street flailing your arms around begging a priest to bless the sinners? think people are overreacting about something that really isn't a big deal.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-28 20:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Swearing don't phase me none...but that other thread was a little beyond simple swearing, wouldn't you agree?
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-28 20:20:28

Think of it this way. You have the right and freedom to express yourself and voice your opinions, however, if the time, place and manner is inappropriate those rights can very quickly be stripped away from higher authorities if deemed necessary. The same premise applies in the US constitution and FFXI forums alike.

You have rights and freedoms, but if they are abused and used to alienate others then you may as well kiss em goodbye.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-28 20:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll notice the rule said "no excessive swearing," not no swearing whatsoever.

I have never banned someone for dropping an f-bomb, nor do I ever *** intend to.

However, there does come a point where a post can contain so much profanity, it is no longer contributing anything meaningful whatsoever beyond an extremely colorful yet ultimately pointless exercise of self-expression. And by that point, you're probably in violation of the golden FFXIAH.com rule anyway.

The point is this: the forums are here as an adjunct yet mostly useful feature for our users, mostly separate from the site's overall mission statement and purpose. This is why red names are "Site Administrators" and not "Forum Moderators" or "Topic Sanitation Engineers."

As such, the forums are only useful as long as they continue to add net value and contribute positively to the site. If you force us to choose between the site's overall image and reputation, and micromanaging your right to be a douchebag, rest assured we'll go with the first one every time.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-28 20:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Why don't you hire some/make forum mods to micromanage everything for you then?

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Deemos
By Asura.Deemos 2009-03-28 20:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
"Topic Sanitation Engineers."

Can i be one?
 Titan.Nightweaver
Server: Titan
By Titan.Nightweaver 2009-03-28 21:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Rules are for people who need them, and if you have to wonder if a warning was written with you in mind, it probably was. We all have to live together on our servers, and on FFXIAH.
 Midgardsormr.Epics
By Midgardsormr.Epics 2009-03-28 21:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightweaver said:
Rules are for people who need them, and if you have to wonder if a warning was written with you in mind, it probably was. We all have to live together on our servers, and on FFXIAH.

leave
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-03-28 21:10:39

Awwwww, I missed all the fun... I have no clue what 4 threads he's talking about.
First Page 2 3 4 5