Forum » FFXI » General » Playonline + Vista
Playonline + Vista
 Gilgamesh.Gonzoox
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Gonzoox
By Gilgamesh.Gonzoox 2009-03-26 13:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on vista, and my only problem is that I started playing FFXI on PS2 then moved to XBox and now I have a lot of problems getting used to the mouse and keyboard :D
 Bahamut.Ziggz
Server: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-26 14:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jackel said:
Ziggz said:
here's the problem. laptops aren't made for gaming. it's not vista. i get sick and tired of people blaming vista for their computer problems. guess who's fault it is >>> you're computers hardware or whoever's imperfect software you are using. quit blaming the OS for your problems!
blazza: the windower is made by a third party. most likely some single 25year old dude. tada! problem found. it says on the windowers website that you may have problems on vista. and it's not vista's fault FYI like i've said to hundreds of other people. the windower does NOT have a vista and vista64 version, thus it is not going to work 100% on vista.
OP: being that your computer for playing FF is a laptop, i'm guessing it is not alienware or dell XPS $2000 computers, so there is your problem. laptops are NOT meant to play games. i play on a laptop at the moment and occasionally FF will crash due to display driver problems (graphics issue). and, lovely SE has made one of the crappiest responses for this issue; game crash. again, not vista.
to the rest of the world: quit blaming vista for your computer problems. it's either you or the software you are using. try looking for vista compatibility on the box next time. vista is the most stable operating system for PC i've ever used.

Dumb-*** alert.

Blame your laptop and not vista? Laptops are not made for gaming? Blaming the user or the software?

First you blame the hardware (Laptop) then you say it's the user or the software (Vista is software)...you are just running your mouth.

A computer is a machine. It will run software. It will utilize hardware AND software to perform specific tasks.

People like this guy are what spreads bad, and false information.

Stop assuming everyone who creates 3rd party software is some socially inept person or persons.

Enko said:
"vista is the most stable operating system for PC i've ever used."

No it isn't, currently Linux is the most stable OS avaialable in several of its flavours followed by XP I am afraid.

BTW Microsloth A+ accredited.

You need to learn to read as well. The post you commented on was about HIS experience with Vista. Nowhere did he ever say it was the most stable OS out there, he said it was the most stable that HE had used.

You all need to take a step back, breath, and stop spouting off crap at the mouth.

the operating system is what makes all these parts work together so that you can use them. any software not made by the OS company is just an add on to the OS that may or may not work perfectly because the software designers of this software didn't develop the OS. (why do you think macs run so well??? hint: all the software on them is made by the same company)
sorry about the single 25 year old making the widower reference if that really offended you :P

edit: anyone seen vista blue screen before??? no seriously... anyone?
 Bahamut.Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-26 14:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Octaviusc said:
Ziggz said:
Bartimaeus said:
Yeah, true. I think everyone needs to learn how to build a PC, to get the better buy, and to be able to diagnose problems with hardware too sometimes.

I guess a blessing and a curse to XI is that while it's old and new technology should be able to run it well, its processor intensive and doesn't have the ability to take advantage of multi-core systems. (unless changed /shrug)

Edit: Maybe it's just a..curse. lol

SE is supposedly making a new MMO. hopefully it'll work flawlessly with vista ;)
and i second that comment about everyone being able to make their own computers. it's not hard. all of what? 15 parts?
anywho... sorry about my ranting... dun mean to offend people. (i just get tired of hearing "vista is the bane of my existence" talk)

By the time SE's new MMO is out, then the new Windows 7 or w/e will be here and then we will have compatibility problems there. It always seems to be something, and I don't care what anyone says....I'll take XP over Vista any day. I have had enough trouble fighting with Vista getting certain programs to run compatibly with it and I know more than the average person does about software. I'm not saying Vista isn't stable, it just doesn't do what I want it to compared to the former OS.

here's a thing many people can't seem to grasp. windows 7 is Vista based, lmao!!! and yet everyone and their brother can't wait for it to b released... does anyone know why everything from 95 worked on 98? does anyone know why everything from 2000 worked on XP??? cuz they were all based off of the previous OS!
 Asura.Icon
Server: Asura
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-03-26 14:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I run FFXI with a VISTA OS on a Dell laptop. I don't have any problems what so ever. I keep it on the highest settings available and do not get any lag all all. In fact I kinda like vista; I have been lobbying my company to upgrade to that OS when I get my new machine (hopefully withing 2 weeks).

The only problem I have had with the machine is once when updating the OS something got overwritten the wrong way and my profile ended up getting corrupted. I just had to restore to factory, but I lost all my 10 files I had on the machine and had to reinstall FFXI.
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-03-26 15:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been so long since I fixed my crashing problem I don't really remember the details but.. my HP Vista desktop came with a remote for use in Windows Media Center. With the remote installed- FF wouldn't work.. got rid of it and FF works fine. Sounds weird I know...

Also, my friends Toshiba laptop had some software on it called Flash Card which were like on-screen 'Hot Keys'. FF wouldn't work with them installed for whatever reason.
 Garuda.Kaden
Server: Garuda
user: Kadengt
By Garuda.Kaden 2009-03-26 17:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

well, I've never had a single issue with Vista so far. I've installed the OS on this system sometime around the middle of November (last year) and I have yet to see a single blue screen, a single screen lockup, or even a Crash to desktop that was caused by the OS. (i've gotten my system to crash the explorer, and a few certain games, but that was because of what i was doing in said game and in the explorer)

You could try to disable your UAC stuff, restart and then run it again and see how long it goes before it drops you again to the desktop. Also, like someone else said already, try to find anything with AVG or adware to see if you got any virus' or trojans or anything like that. Just because it may seem like you don't have anything, doesn't mean your system is safe (obviously unless you already got that stuff and its all taken care of :P). You may also want to try and Update all your drivers. Make sure your Video card and Motherboard drivers are up to date, also make sure you got the latest updates from MS in case there is some other issue working that you aren't aware of.

This what I am running with no problems at all
=========================================
Vista Ultimate x64
4gb 1066 ram
quad-core AMD black edition 2.6ghz proc.
Nvidia 9800GTX+
=========================================

~Kaden
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-26 17:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaden said:
You could try to disable your UAC stuff, restart and then run it again and see how long it goes before it drops you again to the desktop.

Yeah, definitely disable UAC. Unless you're really concerned, visit sites that are questionable, or run programs that aren't tested/proven/reliable, you really don't need it. UAC turned out to be the issue with getting my G11 keyboard working under Vista x64. Guess Microsoft was worried about my macro keys or something lol

But yeah, UAC can go easily if you take the proper precautions in buttoning your computer up with antivirus, spyware, scriptblocker, firewall, etc...

And Kaden-nice rig ^^
 Kujata.Mochang
Server: Kujata
user: Mochang
By Kujata.Mochang 2009-03-26 22:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

OK, so this is what I have done of all the stuff suggested.

I already turned off UAC and activated XP compatibility under properties before I made this post. It seemed to help a little, but not a lot.

I ran multiple virus scans, with no viruses found. I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran this, with 0 things infected. So, I guess it really is the laptop. I ran GuildWars when I originally got it with great success so I just dont know ; ;

/emo cry

Again, thanks for help
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-03-27 03:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Mochang said:

I spent about 1k on it

Signs of too much FFXI?

I play FFXI on laptop. I have a near 3yr old Compaq Presario v5000 and a Sony Vaio VGN. Compaq has XP and Vaio has Vista. Now which one doesnt give me issues? The old Compaq one, though It would lag on the highest resolution, at Mid resolution doesnt give me problems at all. The Vista one, though can make Vanadiel look gorgeous gives me always at some point a driver malfunction =(.

Windower did not work for me at first when i tried to use it on vista. Now I can play it just fine, so heres what I did, first in CMD I input,

regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\jscript.dll (found out when installing photoshop cs3)

Then right click on windower and choose "Run as administrator"

Ran just fine :D
Then I HAD to disable UAC because everytime it popped up it would crash.

Maybe with this you can make it work out.
 Kujata.Mochang
By Kujata.Mochang 2009-03-27 08:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea everytime I open windower, I right click and run as administrator.

And I didnt get the laptop for FFXI. In fact, when I got it, I had just started about a 6 month hiatus from FFXI. I was reluctant to install it on my laptop but my friend convinced me to start playing again. What a bad friend........
 Remora.Kindle
Server: Remora
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-03-27 08:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Playonline + vista = SUCKS!
 Remora.Hatcher
Server: Remora
user: hatcher
By Remora.Hatcher 2009-03-27 08:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I haven't read this whole post but...

Vista is very memory dependent therefore, if your trying to run the game on a vista machine with 2GB of Ram your gonna have issues.

I would personally get rid of Vista, and install XP, but if thats not an option upgrade your memory.

I don't have much hope for windows 7 either.
 Seraph.Octaviusc
Server: Seraph
user: Octaviusc
By Seraph.Octaviusc 2009-03-27 08:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ziggz said:
here's a thing many people can't seem to grasp. windows 7 is Vista based, lmao!!! and yet everyone and their brother can't wait for it to b released... does anyone know why everything from 95 worked on 98? does anyone know why everything from 2000 worked on XP??? cuz they were all based off of the previous OS!

Is your sole purpose on these forums to point out people's misunderstanding when it comes to windows? Don't lecture me on how operating systems work, you totally missed my point. And your exclamation points are rather annoying, you can get your point across without using a thousand per post. While the architecture may have been the same, there are still subtle differences from 2000 to XP, enough that there will still be compatibility problems if 7 is released after SE's new MMO.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-27 08:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just out of curiosity, have you tried running it without windower?
 Kujata.Mochang
By Kujata.Mochang 2009-03-27 13:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I did for a month or two, with the exact same issue. It had the error message and shut down, even if nothing popped up in the background
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-27 15:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Mochang said:
Yes I did for a month or two, with the exact same issue. It had the error message and shut down, even if nothing popped up in the background

Ah...sorry to hear that. I have no idea then >.<
 Seraph.Majique
Server: Seraph
user: Majique
By Seraph.Majique 2009-03-27 15:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

i had problems with vista at first, due to graphics engine clashing with game software. finally found a driver that rocks (couldn't tell u for the life of me what its called and dont feel like digging for the info lol)
about getting used to playing with a mouse, its not so bad after a while. i play with a laptop touchpad and that can be a nightmare at times with directional controls, but i'm used to it after 4-5 years lol.
 Siren.Enko
Server: Siren
user: enko
By Siren.Enko 2009-03-28 04:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Jackel said:
Ziggz said:
here's the problem. laptops aren't made for gaming. it's not vista. i get sick and tired of people blaming vista for their computer problems. guess who's fault it is >>> you're computers hardware or whoever's imperfect software you are using. quit blaming the OS for your problems!
blazza: the windower is made by a third party. most likely some single 25year old dude. tada! problem found. it says on the windowers website that you may have problems on vista. and it's not vista's fault FYI like i've said to hundreds of other people. the windower does NOT have a vista and vista64 version, thus it is not going to work 100% on vista.
OP: being that your computer for playing FF is a laptop, i'm guessing it is not alienware or dell XPS $2000 computers, so there is your problem. laptops are NOT meant to play games. i play on a laptop at the moment and occasionally FF will crash due to display driver problems (graphics issue). and, lovely SE has made one of the crappiest responses for this issue; game crash. again, not vista.
to the rest of the world: quit blaming vista for your computer problems. it's either you or the software you are using. try looking for vista compatibility on the box next time. vista is the most stable operating system for PC i've ever used.

Dumb-*** alert.

Blame your laptop and not vista? Laptops are not made for gaming? Blaming the user or the software?

First you blame the hardware (Laptop) then you say it's the user or the software (Vista is software)...you are just running your mouth.

A computer is a machine. It will run software. It will utilize hardware AND software to perform specific tasks.

People like this guy are what spreads bad, and false information.

Stop assuming everyone who creates 3rd party software is some socially inept person or persons.

Enko said:
"vista is the most stable operating system for PC i've ever used."

No it isn't, currently Linux is the most stable OS avaialable in several of its flavours followed by XP I am afraid.

BTW Microsloth A+ accredited.

You need to learn to read as well. The post you commented on was about HIS experience with Vista. Nowhere did he ever say it was the most stable OS out there, he said it was the most stable that HE had used.

You all need to take a step back, breath, and stop spouting off crap at the mouth.

LMFAO you were right about the Dumbass alert ya mug.

Quite apert from the fact that a computer is not a machine (rather it is a piece electronic equipment) It will not run hardware and software to perform any task that is beyond the scope of said hardware and software.

Stop assuming everyone who creates 3rd party software is some socially inept person or persons

This one reaaly makes me piss, WTF has being socially inept to do with programming (be it good or bad) or do ya mean that people assume that a bad piece of software is written by someone who cant make friends.

You are a moron of the worst kind, ya come off all hardcore when you havent the vaguest idea what you are talking about.

You need to take a step back, breathe, and stop talking ***or mommy will stop you using the computer.
 Garuda.Kaden
Server: Garuda
user: Kadengt
By Garuda.Kaden 2009-03-28 18:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Kaden said:
You could try to disable your UAC stuff, restart and then run it again and see how long it goes before it drops you again to the desktop.

Yeah, definitely disable UAC. Unless you're really concerned, visit sites that are questionable, or run programs that aren't tested/proven/reliable, you really don't need it. UAC turned out to be the issue with getting my G11 keyboard working under Vista x64. Guess Microsoft was worried about my macro keys or something lol

But yeah, UAC can go easily if you take the proper precautions in buttoning your computer up with antivirus, spyware, scriptblocker, firewall, etc...

And Kaden-nice rig ^^

Thank you :D Spent enough on it, but willing to make an upgrade or two to it already (hard drive space mainly)

Also, as Hatcher said, Vista is VERY memory Dependant. If you don't have a lot of memory on the system you would probably be better off reformatting the system back to XP and going from there. From the what your saying, its coming off as some kind of driver issue/conflict. maybe just a reformat in general would help you out with this case? Unless you've got a ton of stuff you want to save, I would try to exaust all of your opportunities trying to fix it before formatting though. Hopefully you get the problem fixed.
 Carbuncle.Nightmarelord
Server: Carbuncle
user: BushinNmL
By Carbuncle.Nightmarelord 2009-03-28 18:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

FFxi works fine on my vista laptop, but then again i have programmer history and i fixed the errors within my lolnvidia compatability issues.
once the nvidia *** was solved ive never had any new problems with ffxi on my vista laptop what so ever.
 Bahamut.Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-29 01:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

if you really take offense to my exaggerated statement of a 25year old dude programming then i have to say... i'm sorry that you are socially inept and didn't catch the sarcasm ...
the fact that you correct me on the machine part is funny. trying to catch every detail of my post so that you can make your post seem mean. (the hard drive is a moving part which counts as a machine... the fans too! :D )
the fact that i've been working with computers for who knows how many years now kinda blows my mind that you say i don't have a clue? or were you referring to the sarcasm in the post that you didn't catch again?

like i said before. i'm sorry if anyone is offended by my post. i'm and *** hole and i know it, thank you. i'm sorry, but that seems to b the most effective way of getting a point across.
 Kujata.Mochang
By Kujata.Mochang 2009-03-29 12:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightmarelord said:
FFxi works fine on my vista laptop, but then again i have programmer history and i fixed the errors within my lolnvidia compatability issues.
once the nvidia *** was solved ive never had any new problems with ffxi on my vista laptop what so ever.

I have nvidia on my laptop too. Do you think that is the culprit? Any suggestions on not so expensive alternatives?

PS My laptop this worked flawlessly on was an eMachine if anyone knows anything about them *shrugs*
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-29 13:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Could very well be, I have a Vista Laptop as well (hp dv6426us), but mine uses the Intel integrated graphics and runs FFXI fine, albeit a little choppy at the native 1440x900 resolution...
 Carbuncle.Nightmarelord
Server: Carbuncle
user: BushinNmL
By Carbuncle.Nightmarelord 2009-03-29 13:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

more then likely it is nvidia. You can always try to force the latest nvidia update if vista doesnt already choose to install it, the newest code along with what i pointed out to them should fix any ffxi / windows media player / windows image(fax) viewer issues.
 Bismarck.Brotz
Server: Bismarck
user: Brotz
By Bismarck.Brotz 2009-03-29 13:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I play ffxi on a laptop also its a hp pavilion tx1000 a smaller travel notebook and i have never had it crash on me never got a playonline error. i had a amd 64 with a 1gig of ram and a nvidia card in there. only things that dont work on there is windower. I never even installed the compatibility POL either. dunno know what is wrong with your guys computer but ive never had any problems.
But i will not say that vista is the best and most stable either sorry i kinda hate vista but im not having problems with it so i will not revert to xp just because.