Playing FFXI On Your Phone.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Playing FFXI on your phone.
Playing FFXI on your phone.
 Siren.Sadhana
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Sadhana
By Siren.Sadhana 2011-04-21 10:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious, has anyone been able to play FFXI on your phone or iPad? I didn't know if anyone was able to use an app like PhoneMyPC to do so. If you have done it, how well does it work? Thanks!
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-04-21 10:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering the state of our current wireless internet and how big video images are to stream using something like VNC you'd be lucky to get something like 0.25 frames a second if that. It wouldn't be playable. Possibly on your own local wireless network, but at that point you might as well just sit at the computer.
By sefalon 2011-04-21 10:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a droid phone and I use a program called pdanet that I downloaded for free on the market it convert your phone into a modem and I then hook it up to my laptop and I am able to play ffxi anywhere I go and it doesn't cost me anything above what I pay now just by having the droid.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-21 10:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk about actually playing it on the phone but I used to use my phone as a modem for my laptop and played ffxi... and this was about 6-7 years ago. Lagged like hell in the popular towns/dynamis and later on when I tried again with same phone/laptop things like campaign but yeah was doable. So don't see why the phone couldn't just do it all now.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-04-21 10:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm confused are we talking about wireless tethering or actually playing FFXI on your phone :/ If you are talking about just using the phone's internet for your laptop then ignore my above post.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-21 10:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said:
I have a droid phone and I use a program called pdanet that I downloaded for free on the market it convert your phone into a modem and I then hook it up to my laptop and I am able to play ffxi anywhere I go and it doesn't cost me anything above what I pay now just by having the droid.
Do you know where I can find such programs? My newer phone is actually set up to do that... but I couldn't find anything that let it do that in the stores... just regular data cables for my model
[+]
 Siren.Sadhana
user: Sadhana
By Siren.Sadhana 2011-04-21 10:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I was talking about trying to play it on your phone. I was reading about how people can play Everquest on their phone using the application PhoneMyPC. That program, if I understand correctly, basically transmits the picture on your computer to your phone via a wireless connection.

I would just want to do basic things like check the AH or do crafting on a phone. I'm thinking that it would probably be too laggy to really do anything more complicated.
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2011-04-21 11:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember seeing a vid of wow bein played on an hacked iPod so it may be possible with a high tier 4G smart phone
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
Server: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-21 11:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember seeing someone play on a psp, but it turned out to be fake. Was either a picture or a recorded video, can't remember.
 Siren.Clinpachi
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2011-04-21 11:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The biggest technical problems for playing FFXI on a phone or ipad is the simple fact that the game goes through the playonline windows application which you obviously can't install on mobile devices.

Thats just the start of the process as well since after playonline is sorted out you would run into other problems im sure.

I remember seeing FAKE videos of FFXI on an iphone 3gs a long time ago but it was just a recorded video being played on full screen.
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Server: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2011-04-21 11:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
The biggest technical problems for playing FFXI on a phone or ipad is the simple fact that the game goes through the playonline windows application which you obviously can't install on mobile devices.

Thats just the start of the process as well since after playonline is sorted out you would run into other problems im sure.

I remember seeing FAKE videos of FFXI on an iphone 3gs a long time ago but it was just a recorded video being played on full screen.

This wouldn't be an issue though, since the game is still running on pc, just the visual interface is being streamed wirelessly to the phone.

I myself have heard rumors of apps allowing the streaming, but haven't been able to find any verification.
By Bimbam 2011-04-21 11:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

limiting factors to consider:
Mapping buttons (touch screen onry phones is prolly not viable, idk the software)
Mobile broadband bandwidth. You are looking at constant ~2mbps for a 640*480 vid @30fps not including sound.
Your PCs upload speed (this is probably going to be the biggest bottleneck for anyone using ADSL) this will also need to be ~2mbps or more to achieve said video rate.
Your PCs ability to record at this rate while 11 is running. (should not be an issue these days)
Your phones ability to output video at this resolution (again a lot of phones should be achieving this by now).

I would hazard a guess on a 8/1mbps broadband connection on your home PC(pretty standard in the UK) and in a wireless hotspot on your phone, you might see 10-15fps @640*480.

I have no idea if 11 will render less than this, maybe if you tweak registry or Windower, or this software may offer better resolution options dependant on your phone who knows, but it is not going to be a smooth experience lol
By Bimbam 2011-04-21 11:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.onlive.com/

It is essentially the same technology behind this. The grunt of the processing is done by the server (your home PC) which then streams video/sound to a set top box (your phone). All your phone has to be able todo is output fast enough (large packets inbound) & return keystrokes (very small packets outbound).

I think the problem will likely be more centred around users upload speed on there home PC than the phone itself.
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-21 11:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
sefalon said:
Do you know where I can find such programs? My newer phone is actually set up to do that... but I couldn't find anything that let it do that in the stores... just regular data cables for my model

For droids, you can search pdanet and find a program.
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2011-04-21 11:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

On a side not Windows phone sucks
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-21 11:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Zerovirus said:
I remember seeing someone play on a psp, but it turned out to be fake. Was either a picture or a recorded video, can't remember.
I actually tried to do that (PS screenshot to fit the psp window) but never really showed it to anyone
 Sylph.Washburn
Server: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2011-04-21 12:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I Use wireless tethering when I'm on duty. Just add chat filters, and resist facebook and I'm good. Don't put me on stun duty though.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-21 19:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
sefalon said:
Not a droid
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-04-21 20:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
sefalon said:
Not a droid
http://junefabrics.com/android/download.php

Just browse to your mobile OS. If you can't download it directly to your phone, you can transfer the installation package via tether.

I used it on my old windows phone, and now on my droid.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-04-22 05:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elvaton said:
On a side not Windows phone sucks

download visualboyadvance.exe
download pokemonblue.rom
???
profit