If You Could Make Your Own MMO...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » If you could make your own MMO...
If you could make your own MMO...
First Page 2
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-03-21 17:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

As with the rest of the threads right now, making this out of boredom. Checked existing threads for one like this, but couldn't find anything that wouldn't be necro-bumped and/or not completely related...

Several years ago, to help jump start my programming skills before majoring in computer science. A friend and I picked up some MUD source code and attempted to develop one of our own games. (+1 to you if you know what a MUD/MUSH/MOO/etc is)

I was wondering if you could make your own MMO, how would it be?

Mine would be a really really really big world. So that even if thousands of people were online at once, the chances of running into another person would be slim to none. It'd essentially be a single player game, as you would have no real means of knowing where you are or who else could be online.

When you log out, you'd be subjected to whatever random monsters that still may cross your path, forcing you to have to always find a presumably safe spot to shutdown. It would be cool to make it as "Sims" as possible in the sense that you can build your own house. But that it's still affected by natural disasters and normal wear and tear. I think the real excitement would be in finding other people. Eventually, over months of playing you may be fortunate(or unfortunate) enough to meet up with someone. Since you basically played it as a single player game up until that point, it would be interesting to see how the two interact on meeting. Of course, it depends on the player.

I just like the idea of a wilderness MMO. Would love to hear others' ideas.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Server: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-21 17:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

a zombie mmo that would be as realistic as possible

u know like you can make your own shelters and ***

basically minecraft with guns and better graphics
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2011-03-21 18:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I would call mine Final Fantasy and I would have a girly looking male as my main character and have them saving a princess of some sort in every situation. In the end they end up in love. And along the way you meet random people who join you for a 14 hour session of getting sidetracked. Only to end up all having beef with the same *** bad guy. I think that would make a good game. If it seems to serious Ill just toss in a goofy looking character for every game to make it reach all ages.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2011-03-21 18:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I always wanted to make a virtual reality MMO but I could never think of anything to base it off.
 Bahamut.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-21 18:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
I always wanted to make a virtual reality MMO but I could never think of anything to base it off.

reality
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-03-21 18:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thereallife, but with goblins
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Taxero
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Taxero79
By Quetzalcoatl.Taxero 2011-03-21 18:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The Smurfs MMORPG !

We've all been waiting for this. Who wants a moghouse when you can have your very own mushroom ?

Endgame is already written, Azreal as mid-dungeon boss with Gargamel at the end.

Armor, weapons ? *** that, everybody gets a white hat, white pants and a wooden sword. Do you want to do some tradeskills ? No problem ! Pick smurfberries and feed your fellow Smurfs.

And of course, when chatting have random words auto-converted to any form of 'smurf'

In conclusion: If I could Smurf any MMO, I would Smurfly Smurf a Smurf MMO.
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2011-03-21 18:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we brew it?
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-21 18:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

An lolcat MMO with subtitles. Lots and lots of subtitles.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-03-21 18:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Red Dead Redemption MMO. Basically similar to the multiplayer, only more interaction between others that didn't require using guns. Maybe a reason to have towns where you could set up shops (not just bazaars, but actual shops built up). Different classes, including lawmen, outlaws, snipers, ranchers, cowpokes, merchants and the like would also be implemented. Also, that lasso would be perfect for certain things.

Not sure how they would work as a team, but that'd be badass.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-03-21 18:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Taxero said:
The Smurfs MMORPG !

We've all been waiting for this. Who wants a moghouse when you can have your very own mushroom ?

Endgame is already written, Azreal as mid-dungeon boss with Gargamel at the end.

Armor, weapons ? *** that, everybody gets a white hat, white pants and a wooden sword. Do you want to do some tradeskills ? No problem ! Pick smurfberries and feed your fellow Smurfs.

And of course, when chatting have random words auto-converted to any form of 'smurf'

In conclusion: If I could Smurf any MMO, I would Smurfly Smurf a Smurf MMO.

lol, that's awesome. One of the cool things about some of the source code we found online was that whenever you drink alcohol, you would start to slur words. th would become sss, and a bunch of other cool things. It may be kind of gimmicky, but it really does add a cool level of realism to the game.

Not to mention if you're a different race, and you choose to start speaking in your own language, it would show up as gibberish to everyone who couldn't understand you. MUDs were really awesome cause they were so easy to make and modify. Just sucks that they didn't have any cool graphics to look at while you played them :/
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-03-21 18:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Deadplaything said:
Can we brew it?

In this MMO you can
 Valefor.Slore
Server: Valefor
user: Slore
By Valefor.Slore 2011-03-21 18:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Brew Gargamel ftw
 Bismarck.Torvak
user: TorvakUK
By Bismarck.Torvak 2011-03-21 18:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like one with decent random instancing, also were the item drops might be unique, meaning more individual characters. you wouldnt die either you'd flee at low health or be captured, jailbreak from goblin city anyone? I'm amazed nobody has used Steve Jackson (games workshop co-founder) and Ian Livingstones (old eidos boss) Titan world for a MMO yet, how cool would Port Blacksand be online.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-21 18:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Something with lots of explosions and titties. Also you can become drunk in it
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-03-21 18:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

A Fire Emblem MMO. Two factions, make your own guy, choose your class, roll for stats, level up, fight with a buncha other real people against NPCs and other PCs who are in the other faction. It would be cool.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-21 18:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I would personally design the armor and races myself.

Bald white space marines with giant pauldrons on one side, voluptuous Korean elves with almost no armor on the other.

Asura.Vyre said:
A Fire Emblem MMO. Two factions, make your own guy, choose your class, roll for stats, level up, fight with a buncha other real people against NPCs and other PCs who are in the other faction. It would be cool.

mite b cool

Think of all the crazy ***you can do with Lords. Only a handful of players would get to play as them and lead smaller factions, with everyone else likely rolling as Heroes or something.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-21 19:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Mass Effect MMO. The Lore is rich, there is already great and balanced classes (not like Jedi Versus Wookie Herder), even though I hate PVP, there's fertile ground there, with the Terminus V. Citadel relationship status, there's really just so much the Mass Effect universe has going for it that would be an exceptional fit for the MMO environment.

Depending on balancing and technological limitations, the Ground combat could work either Mass Effect 1 or 2 style, I wouldn't complain.

Space Exploration is something that would have to be done exceptionally well though, thinking on levels of EVE here, maybe with some Colony Wars style combat thrown in (Turn-based Starship fights = ; ;)

Guild style play would also take notes from EVE, small groups may be stuck with humble Kowloon class freighters, but huge guilds can cruise the galaxy in massive Dreadnoughts, of course, in addition to a player's personal vessel.

Even I can't deny the awesomeness of a huge, multi-guild Citadel V. Terminus Fleet battle over a resource rich uncharted planet.

We're probably 2-3 technological generations from being able to do what I have in mind right, and still make the hardware affordable enough so that it could maintain a self-sustaining (Or better) subscription base.

My next choice would have been an Armored Core MMO, but apparently they're already doing that.

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
I'd make life on Earth an MMO!!

Oh wait...

[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2011-03-21 19:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
So.. Duke Nukem MMO?
 Leviathan.Nuin
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Nuin 2011-03-21 19:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd make a FF with my servers in Kansas and I'd have jumping D: Sorry DRG's . .
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-21 19:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
So.. Duke Nukem MMO?
Something long that lines. Maybe mix in some GTA and than standard rpg stuff. Definitely need to be able to use spell/abilities to look at women naked.
 Leviathan.Novax
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-03-21 19:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Since i was a child, i thought it'd be cool to play a giant pokemon mmo!
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-21 19:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Something of the Dead style MMO. Though having it first person shooter would be cool. You have whole cities to explore while living in a zombie apocalypse. Or.. a Resident Evil type MMO would be interesting. Where not only do you combat the undead but Umbrella commandos and such idk. have it be something I always hoped Resident Evil outbreak would be.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-21 19:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Novax said:
Since i was a child, i thought it'd be cool to play a giant pokemon mmo!

This can honestly work so good, why hasn't Nintendo cashed in?p.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-21 19:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Imagine this game... except good. WOAH.

GTA:SA and Vice City online with private servers was goofy dumb fun, I think APB was trying to get that feeling.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-21 19:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

A realistic Harry Potter MMO.

But not for children.

Like you get sorted into houses and a good majority of the game is you going to different classes and learning new magic.

*** if heaven is real and I can choose to be immersed into any world... it's so going to be harry potter. (where I was a wizard, not a squib)
 Leviathan.Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-03-21 19:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a lot of learning, I'll play only if I can be a bully.

Edit: Not the small skinny kind either!
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-21 19:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Then your wand will be snapped.
 Leviathan.Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-03-21 19:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Any MMO where I can be a ninja, and team up w/ other ninjas while fighting against other epic ninjas. Would sell millions.
First Page 2