The Old Good Games (stories)!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » The old good games (stories)!
The old good games (stories)!
 Ramuh.Shuyn
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Shuyn
By Ramuh.Shuyn 2011-03-16 04:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell us ur story about your old game experiences!

I've always been an RPG genre player... so i didnt play much except FF's and Legend of Dragon and such lol... they used to be so epic... but my first of all game was Mario Bros for the old nintendo back in 1993: then bough a PSX and started the FF saga, being my first ff, FF8, which is the 1 i like the most because was the one that introduced me to Final Fantasy series.

Right now all i play if oldschool games such as FFXI, Starcraft, Battlefield 2, and Roms of Magic (rarely).
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-03-16 04:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay true story here:

I'm 7 years old, and I get a freakin SNES for my birthday.
Totally shocked and had no idea what the hell it is or anything like that, in fact, I was scared and hesitant to play. Whether it was fear of the unknown or simply not wanting to play lest I lose the game; which at that age is devastating as we all know.

Anyways, luckily my mom's good friend Sandy and her husband Richard are there visiting from Hawaii and slowly but surely open me up to it. After awhile it becomes a routine not only for myself but for my mom as well. Helping me advance levels and playing together to pass the levels in Super Mario World.

The most difficult one to bypass at the time was the second castle. It was getting late, and was already far past my bedtime. Admitting defeat, I get ready for bed, go to my room and sleep. However, as that happens my mom is determined to beat this boss. It wasn't until roughly 2 AM my mom defeats the boss and excitedly rushes up to my room to wake me up, informing that we had made it to the Vanilla Dome xD

Ahhhh, good times.
[+]
 Ramuh.Shuyn
By Ramuh.Shuyn 2011-03-16 05:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Okay true story here:

I'm 7 years old, and I get a freakin SNES for my birthday.
Totally shocked and had no idea what the hell it is or anything like that, in fact, I was scared and hesitant to play. Whether it was fear of the unknown or simply not wanting to play lest I lose the game; which at that age is devastating as we all know.

Anyways, luckily my mom's good friend Sandy and her husband Richard are there visiting from Hawaii and slowly but surely open me up to it. After awhile it becomes a routine not only for myself but for my mom as well. Helping me advance levels and playing together to pass the levels in Super Mario World.

The most difficult one to bypass at the time was the second castle. It was getting late, and was already far past my bedtime. Admitting defeat, I get ready for bed, go to my room and sleep. However, as that happens my mom is determined to beat this boss. It wasn't until roughly 2 AM my mom defeats the boss and excitedly rushes up to my room to wake me up, informing that we had made it to the Vanilla Dome xD

Ahhhh, good times.
Lol fun, my parents used to do that for me when they bough me something to get me really excited but to *** up with me cause they whouldnt let me wake up to try the stuff.... cause i mostly whould be going to school the next day.
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-16 05:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Oddly enough, I also entered the Final Fantasy franchise at FF8. It was a good game and I don't think it deserves all the criticism it gets, but it's not my favorite. So far, my favorite was 9 because it was the first one for the playstation (and the first I'd ever played up to that point) that had defined character classes.

I've played every numbered Final Fantasy except 13 and 6. 13 because I simply refuse to, and 6 because I've never found it anywhere. I used a SNES emu to play the first 5 (and Chrono Trigger).
 Ramuh.Shuyn
By Ramuh.Shuyn 2011-03-16 05:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Oddly enough, I also entered the Final Fantasy franchise at FF8. It was a good game and I don't think it deserves all the criticism it gets, but it's not my favorite. So far, my favorite was 9 because it was the first one for the playstation (and the first I'd ever played up to that point) that had defined character classes.

I've played every numbered Final Fantasy except 13 and 6. 13 because I simply refuse to, and 6 because I've never found it anywhere. I used a SNES emu to play the first 5 (and Chrono Trigger).

Play 6 on a PSX emulator! it is a cool FF tho! kinda old but cool.
About FF8, i agree... well i like the history of 8 more than 9 tho since it messes with time and witches... also... those GF's animations are way better than 9 and back in the day they were awesome. Well i simply love 8 but my favourite so far is 13, love the stagging system.
I've never played 7, but might do it soon tho... But i mostly love all FF's stories... including all on FFXI (ToAU included) but so far WotG is the best.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2011-03-16 05:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

dragonwarrior's and final fantasy's on NES , those were the rpg glory days , its all down hill from there. And gdi , why do i always pick the same set up when i replay FF1 >.< war,war,rdm,whm
 Ramuh.Shuyn
By Ramuh.Shuyn 2011-03-16 05:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol hehe, well ff's started to suck since 10-2 mostly lol - at least for me.. since the battle per turns died there... and it was real time battles since if u didnt attack too quick the mobs whould hit you even without you picking a move for that turn.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2011-03-16 05:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

8,9,10,10-2,and 13 sucked *** to me .... 1-7 and 12 rocked , i seem to be one of the only ppl that liked 12 lol.
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2011-03-16 05:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

7 is overrated.

Tactics is the best.... was never realeased in european territories however.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-03-16 05:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only one who has video game memories that make a story?
 Ramuh.Shuyn
By Ramuh.Shuyn 2011-03-16 05:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

nuh!
I miss ffxi back in the day when i was a newb... lots of good stories...
FF8 also, cause i played with alot of friends that i dont see for afew yrs now.. same for 9.
 Bismarck.Henihhi
Server: Bismarck
user: Henihhi
By Bismarck.Henihhi 2011-03-16 13:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to spend hours upon hours playing the original zelda! Gotta get rupees for that bracelet! Save the princess! Think that was my first actual console game if you could even call nes a console now lol
 Lakshmi.Beetlejuice
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Beetlejuice 2011-03-16 13:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a good story about my very first RPG I ever played.. called Lufia on Snes.

Spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing that game. You hade a side quest too, a cave that had 99 floors. On the hundred floor you had to beat an oversized Jelly in 3 or 4 turns(cant remember exactly) I managed to beat it 2 or 3 times of countless tries. Cannot remember the rewards though.

Good times, before the MMO era.

It had an excellent battle theme too.
 Alexander.Sumo
Server: Alexander
user: sumo
By Alexander.Sumo 2011-03-16 13:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Used to play this game religously as a kid.
[+]
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Server: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-03-16 14:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

my first game ever was duck hunt on the SNES, but i rarely played video games at that time because i had a huge thomas the tank engine play set with a large table my dad built for me to set it up on =3.

i didnt get into gaming much until i got a playstation for christmas one year, my first ps game was spiro the dragon, i loved it.

one year i got a free one year subscription to GI, and one month i read a review of FF7, it got me interested, so i got my mom to take me to media play (god i miss that place) and i bought ff7, thats when i fell in love with the series. i subsequently got VIII, IX, X, X-2, FF anthology (5-6), and then i saw a commercial for XI, begged my mom for it, and played it for 6 years. (i also have XII and XIII now)

other RPGs i enjoy are SO3, tales of destiny II (i rented it once, and was never able to find it again), PSU/PSU:AoI, and a few others

edit:forgot one i missed, dual hearts, i loved that game to death, but that was a case of rent and lose too

edit2: i forgot to mention that my grandma and i would always play SMB3 together before she passed
[+]
 Bismarck.Faelar
Server: Bismarck
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-03-16 14:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Irohuro said:
other RPGs i enjoy are SO3, tales of destiny II

Tales of Destiny II is awesome. I had to order mine online and it cost me almost $100, but it was worth it. One of my best friends in high school introduced it and a bunch of other games to me (Xenogears, Galerians, Tales of Destiny, Lunar). Since then I've bought them all ^^
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2011-03-16 14:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh, Mario Bros. I still mess up on the one area where there are two large pits with one stick of land at the center. Ugh. Nightmares. EDIT: Dragon Warrior was great! I fell in love with Castlevania and Battle of Olympus. Back then you really could use your imagination with it.
 Alexander.Kewitt
Server: Alexander
user: ginger
By Alexander.Kewitt 2011-03-16 14:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Good story.

Star control 2.
single player but fun.

sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

As for TMNT.

I did get to final boss 2 times. But not a hope in hell of getting win without game genie.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-03-16 14:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

there's alot of commodore and PS1 games I used to enjoy alot. I just can't, for the life of me, remember their titles
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
Server: Diabolos
user: cuccon
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-03-16 14:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Mario meets RPG in epic fashion
 Asura.Dtroyy
Server: Asura
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-03-16 14:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Tomb Raider 1-2-3 classics!
By Biazzaz 2011-03-16 14:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ha I played that Mario Bro's over and over on that jump until I could whip my brother at it. He was 2 years older than me and I just played and played that and Double Dragon 2. After seeing that movie the Wizard I was obsessed with beating Super Mario 3 to the point I could beat it in about 15min. Course now you can see peeps beat it much faster.

By the time I was a junior in High School the NES was super old... it was right before FF8 came out. A group of 4 friends and I shopped for a few weeks after school collecting every single NES game we could find. In the end we had well over 100 games. Anyway we then proceeded to skip school for almost 2 weeks in order to play all of those games! Was epic till we got busted....

Good Times Good Times
 Bahamut.Angelos
user: Angelos01
By Bahamut.Angelos 2011-03-16 14:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Legend of Zelda. Need i say more??
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-03-16 15:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dtroyy said:
Tomb Raider 1-2-3 classics!

HELLL YEA! This is a great classic. Problem puzzle solving, with big *** to boot. Great series.

Anyone remember, Doctor Mario ?

or gradius ?

Rampage!!

Oh what about Bubble Bubble, I was freakin' obsessed with this classic game.

few other classics that I remember growing up as a kid:

Bahamut.Paulus
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2011-03-16 15:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Biazzaz said:
Ha I played that Mario Bro's over and over on that jump until I could whip my brother at it. He was 2 years older than me and I just played and played that and Double Dragon 2. After seeing that movie the Wizard I was obsessed with beating Super Mario 3 to the point I could beat it in about 15min. Course now you can see peeps beat it much faster.

By the time I was a junior in High School the NES was super old... it was right before FF8 came out. A group of 4 friends and I shopped for a few weeks after school collecting every single NES game we could find. In the end we had well over 100 games. Anyway we then proceeded to skip school for almost 2 weeks in order to play all of those games! Was epic till we got busted....

Good Times Good Times

Edit: Found it. Man this is awesome.

There was a Double Dragon arcade game I played that I can't find. Pretty much a girl is walking near a red car. Corvette maybe? She gets slapped and slung over this guys shoulder and they walk away with her. Anyone remember which one that was? I had to spend a small fortune trying to beat that. I couldn't get good until I figured out how to throw that elbow.
 Asura.Lanryu
Server: Asura
user: Lanryu
By Asura.Lanryu 2011-03-16 15:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

My first real experience with games was FF tactics.. before then I assumed all Final Fantasy games were horror games and refused to play them. >_> nowadays I own all of them and have various other RPG's in my collection. My favorite would have to be Shadow Hearts 1 & 2.. very underrated!
 Caitsith.Azryel
Server: Caitsith
user: Azryel
By Caitsith.Azryel 2011-03-16 15:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy II (JP IV)
Final Fantasy III (JP VI)
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX

I'd really like to see a renovated Chrono Trigger remake... That game was so original, and so good, with killer replay value due to New Game + and the 10 different endings available... Squaresoft was great- it seems as soon as they linked up with Enix that the games started to tank a bit...
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-16 15:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite gaming experience I can recall in Detail:

May 2003

Browsing at the local target for my Summer Vacation filler, something catches my eye, amid the collage of anthropomorphic animal mascots, NFL/MLB players and the newly emerging space marines, something stood out, an nondescript box with a name suggesting a long-running lineage I had never heard of.

Being that it was may, a notoriously bad release window for games, I at first dismissed my curiosity, continuing to browse the generic halo knockoffs that were being spewed out, though something in my mind kept drawing my gaze back to that damn, vague box. Was it so confident in itself that it didn't need to show something? Or was it just hiding it's suck. After about 20minutes, I had had enough, I had to find out. As I scurried home, I clutched the box tight, but didn't examine it. The suspense began to build.

Finally home, I opened what turned out to be my own little Pandora's box of sorts. First came the important bit. The Game, again, a nondescript box art continuing to taunt me. Then out came the manual, possibly the largest of any game I had yet seen. "Half of it no doubt related to install errors, this is the PC after all" I thought to myself. But what's this? Something else? Sort of wedged in the box, I reach in and feel something. Too large to be promotional materials, I draw the strange paper out, and began unfolding it. "Vvardenfell, How the hell do you even pronounce Two V's anyway?" continuing my sweeping gaze of what is now undeniably a map, I set it aside, thinking it was nothing more than a gimmick.

Installation complete! Finally, I can see what all this has lead to, the game's quick launch pops up and I swiftly dive in. Developer and publisher splash screens, nothing uncommon here, then, the soft, enthralling drums of the "Call of Magic", I sat there for a moment listening. Reflecting back on it, that was the first time I had ever actually "Listened" to a game's music, for it's own sake at least. Having already been hovering over "Play" for a few minutes, left click, and in we go.

A strange cutscene like a bad acid trip plays out, foreground to the utterance of some raspy fellow who I was soon to become acquainted with. "Wake up" he shrieks The screen fades in. Jiub. What a stupid name, a mistake I didn't intend to make. My name you ask? Well, let's just say it wasn't Jiub. "I've heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go." Now some official-looking fellow in a studded iron cuirass approached. "This is where you get off! Come with me!" being a teenager, that line produced an audible chuckle, but stupid smirk in tow, I followed this guard, leaving Jiub behind

A series of inquiries would follow, drilled by a shrill voice, after picking various aspects of myself, the man shrieked that I proceed to the neighboring building. What I actually have gotten myself into, hasn't quite dawned on me yet. A weak combat and magic tutorial later, I'm reading walls of text presented by another of these well-spoken, but stern individuals. This one had fabulous gold armor though, he was obviously important, I better read carefully. "Caius Cossades, Balmora, Silt Strider" got it. 87 Gold? Sweet, I then exit the building.

A help text pops up, and the phrase "You're on your own now!" sticks out, almost in a prophetic way. I take stock of the surroundings. There's some people walking around, and this strange Whale-like sound reverberating through the settlement, then I see him. Short, Orange-ish Skin, annoying voice. "Engraved Ring of Healing?" "Never heard of it! I swear!" But that wasn't enough. Some kind of burning rage inside me had already started. I don't know why, I just wished I could kill this guy, I pulled out my Iron dagger, of which I was proud of, all out of proportion, and proceeded to swing at him, thinking nothing of it. Suddenly I'm surrounded, a uniformed Guard approaches and gives me three options. "Pay Gold" "Go to Jail" "Resist Arrest". Well, That's MY Gold, so Option 1 goes out the window, Go to Jail? And let this little ***have the last laugh? Nah. That just Leaves "Resist Arrest." ***, I got my Iron dagger and healing ring, you don't stand a chance.

As I sit, hunched forward, looking at my corpse and contemplating it where it all went wrong (Hint: Iron Dagger), I was overcome with some strange feeling. I'm not sure how to really explain it, but you know, in the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy utters the famous line "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore." Yeah, just like that.

Anyway, I know that's not exactly what people think of when they hear "Old game" Morrowind isn't even ten years old yet, but that game was something of a crossroads for me. When gaming became more than juvenile entertainment, on the same level of Micro Machines or Gak, and demonstrated that the medium could have just as profound effect as film or literature.

TL;DR Morrowind: Best game ever, deal with it.
By Biazzaz 2011-03-16 16:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

No one seemed to like it but I thought River City Ransom was fun. I hated A Boy and His blob!!

There are a few milestones that I can think of off the top of my head.

We got Resident Evil the week it came out, and apart from the acting we openly thought that was the best games were going to get. Also remember thinking wow its in the near future of 1998. My zombie fad started then even to the point we bought a barbie for a girlfriends birthday fully modified to ZombieBarbie! Painted, renamed the package, bought biker cloths, cut off a bloodied arm... mind you this was like 1999.

At some point we played the first Tony Hawk so much that as we walked though our college campus we would discuss how awesome we could make a run off the buildings. When 3 went live I was obsessed with destroying peeps online.

I really cant believe it hasn't been mentioned but where is the Golden Eye love?