Looking for an EGLS
First Page 2
 Valefor.Auraflare
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Auraflare
By Valefor.Auraflare 2011-02-16 04:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So I took a break due to health reasons for a couple months, come back and the egls, and the dynamis shells I was in both tanked and broke up. Any suggestions on a decent shell for Valefor?
I have Drk, Pld, Thf, Drg, Rdm, and Whm all at 80-85 (fricking thing wont update for drg, dinged 85 today), but working on getting them all to 90 with my recent return thanks to my back getting fixed finally. Gear decent enough before the 90 cap update, but have no af3.
I know I have quite a ways to go catch up wise, but I am pretty well versed in tanking, kiting (/shudder), and keeping ppl alive besides myself. My DD jobs are the more recent additions, but I have put quite alot of effort into all of my jobs, except whm, but that was only because I leveled on a need in WoC, and the gear I got from a friend and wanted to put his gifts into good use. I have about a two year history with my old egls WeaponofChoice (kujata and then valefor when they merged). Short history with FaithoftheFallen, but that was due to my medical problems getting worse and it got rather hard to play at all.
I'm on JST (long story), but am willing to join an NA ls as long as they understand my nights and mornings are opposite for the most part, and I might have to log suddenly due to a typoon or earthquake......Willing to join an EU as well. JST shell... maybe, I'm very limited in my ability to speak Japanese, and I know the problems a language barrier can cause. I am a military spouse, so I do move every couple years at least.
Any help yall can provide will be much appreciated.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-02-16 05:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

EGLS are a thing of the past. There's no reason to do anything as a group anymore unless you're a group of friends and just want to. Everything is pretty much soloable with a dualbox healer.

You might want to fix that "/shudder" attitude towards your mage jobs. Melee are a dime a dozen and from the looks of it, unless your THF is a beast, you're pretty much going to be the most useless person in any given group if you don't focus on your two mage jobs and/or level brd blm mnk war or nin.

I'm just saying that because I've seen people who had a nice spread of jobs at 75, and stuck with only their favourite jobs (which happened to be melee jobs) to 90. Their mage jobs fell behind and now they use that excuse to not play their mages. So they refuse to come bard or black to help grellow mobs for their seals/+2 and expect others to do it for them, etc.

Good luck finding a group, though.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-16 05:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yarly said:
EGLS are a thing of the past. There's no reason to do anything as a group anymore unless you're a group of friends and just want to. Everything is pretty much soloable with a dualbox healer.

You might want to fix that "/shudder" attitude towards your mage jobs. Melee are a dime a dozen and from the looks of it, unless your THF is a beast, you're pretty much going to be the most useless person in any given group if you don't focus on your two mage jobs and/or level brd blm mnk war or nin.

I'm just saying that because I've seen people who had a nice spread of jobs at 75, and stuck with only their favourite jobs (which happened to be melee jobs) to 90. Their mage jobs fell behind and now they use that excuse to not play their mages. So they refuse to come bard or black to help grellow mobs for their seals/+2 and expect others to do it for them, etc.

Good luck finding a group, though.
pretty much this, i doubt anyone is in need of another useless ddonry.
 Valefor.Auraflare
By Valefor.Auraflare 2011-02-16 05:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not DD only, I will and do play my mage jobs. The shudder is a bit of a joke from my WoC days @.@. Should probably edit that part....

I have tried to keep all my jobs up to date and the gear at least decent for what is needed. Yes yes, i know, jack of all trades, master of none, blah blah. But I tend to be ecletic and flexible for the most part.

Egls dead?????? ugh.... i hope to god that's not true
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-16 05:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

well the good news is whm and thf are useful. but yeah with abyssea there's no real point in doing things with a big shell. and there's not much point in doing things that aren't abyssea.
[+]
 Valefor.Auraflare
By Valefor.Auraflare 2011-02-16 05:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well hopefully I can find some raid type ls then. I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed and put out a few feelers. Who knows, I may get pleasently surprised...

oh and Yarly... Pld is my favorite job, not my dd's.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-16 05:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Auraflare said:
no offense but that's even worse
[+]
 Valefor.Auraflare
By Valefor.Auraflare 2011-02-16 05:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

@.@ there is nothing wrong with a good tank.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-16 05:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

when you can duo everything with a dd and a healer whm, pld becomes pretty useless.
[+]
 Ramuh.Yarly
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-02-16 05:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Auraflare said:
Well hopefully I can find some raid type ls then. I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed and put out a few feelers. Who knows, I may get pleasently surprised...

Unfortunately, PLD isn't used anymore. There's nothing you can do on PLD that you can't do on any other job now.

Not to bash your favourite job, though. I have been career PLD in the past and I enjoy tanking a lot. This is just the reality that is Abyssea Fantasy XI, where DRK and PLD have little to no use in the game anymore. BRD is very very close to being useless, too.

It sucks but it's true.
[+]
 Valefor.Auraflare
By Valefor.Auraflare 2011-02-16 05:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

>.>.... well here's to hoping se fixes that.........
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-02-16 06:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Auraflare said:
@.@ there is nothing wrong with a good tank.

you poor thing :(
[+]
 Caitsith.Alberic
Server: Caitsith
user: Alberic
By Caitsith.Alberic 2011-02-16 06:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yarly said:
BRD is very very close to being useless, too.

It sucks but it's true.

Not to call *** or anything, but since when are dual Marches useless?
[+]
 Asura.Rinkydink
Server: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-02-16 06:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

because when most mobs can be solo'd/duo'd you dont even think about haste
 Caitsith.Alberic
user: Alberic
By Caitsith.Alberic 2011-02-16 06:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rinkydink said:

Sure, things CAN be soloed/duoed, but it becomes faster (with Marches) and safer (with Scherzo for protection against one-shots on mobs that have those kinds of attacks) when you have a BRD along.

Almost anything in Abyssea can be duoed by a WHM and a MNK, so unless you guys are saying that anything that's not WHM or MNK can join DRK and PLD on the ***tier, "we can duo it so don't bother bringing [X job]" isn't really a valid argument.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-16 07:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Alberic said:
Asura.Rinkydink said:

Sure, things CAN be soloed/duoed, but it becomes faster (with Marches) and safer (with Scherzo for protection against one-shots on mobs that have those kinds of attacks) when you have a BRD along.

Almost anything in Abyssea can be duoed by a WHM and a MNK, so unless you guys are saying that anything that's not WHM or MNK can join DRK and PLD on the ***tier, "we can duo it so don't bother bringing [X job]" isn't really a valid argument.
blm has half the grellow procs natively and can sub brd or nin for 5/8 per element (excluding light), thf has th, nin and war can red, and a lot of jobs that aren't mnk can tank too. and it's not that anything that's not whm/mnk/war/nin/thf/blm is on the same tier as pld and drk, it's that everything else is in between.
[+]
 Ramuh.Yarly
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-02-16 08:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Alberic said:

Lets see some of the things that BRD used to be good for, pulling, ballads, marches, SV+song zergs, elegy, etc. I'm not sure if I missed some...

Of those things, marches are the only thing that they'd be used for. The good thing now is that any BRD90 with natural skill cap can have capped marches, so that's a plus at least.

Scherzo was AMAZING when cap was 85 and BRD af3+2 set bonus made it work like an infinite migawari, but now it's not. But I could be wrong, I haven't played around with it as much as I'd like to on my BRD.

But BRD can grellow. This is a huge plus! Except BLM/BRD can do all the grellow spells that BRD main can do...

You say they help kill things faster. That's great and all but... most things already die TOO fast. Now that we have DD tanks, they have to continually deal damage, or at least spike a huge chunk of damage and turn around to hold hate from cures and spells from people trying to proc grellow. March doesn't do anything in those situations, but when you aren't in those situations, march will definitely be good without a doubt.

So BRD has been essentially cut down to a 1 song job, 4 if you include the 3 grellow procs for any given game day.

Caitsith.Alberic said:

No that's not MY argument, I can't speak for others, though. Like I said earlier, BRD is coming close to being useles. Its utility has gone down from being almost an essential support to a very limited and optional support.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-02-16 08:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rinkydink said:
[+]
 Caitsith.Lyall
user: Lyall
By Caitsith.Lyall 2011-02-16 11:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on the group to determine usefulness versus a wasted space. Yes, mobs die fast. Yes, March can be a little overkill at times. No, this isn't bad. Having your tanks hit delay cap is useful for processing blue or red, and with discernment abyssite hitting grellow doesn't take nearly as long as it might sound as long as your mages aren't HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

For fights where grellow/blue/red don't matter, i.e. farming Empyrean weapons or doing anything outside of Abyssea (not that that is common) capping delay is potentially the most valuable asset you can have for melees, probably next to making sure your healers have refresh of some variety.

"Situational" is a much different fish than "useless." DRK has no purpose doing anything these days outside of providing the same damage a lot of other jobs can do much easier. PLD is in a worse situation. BRD's utility has slackened with Abyssea content but unless you were WAR/MNK/WHM that's happened to everybody.

Due to how haste shatters this game with the kind of damage your DDs should be doing, until every damage job in the game can cap delay reduction without march I respectfully disagree with your stance of BRD being close to being useless.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-16 19:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Lyall said:
It depends on the group to determine usefulness versus a wasted space. Yes, mobs die fast. Yes, March can be a little overkill at times. No, this isn't bad. Having your tanks hit delay cap is useful for processing blue or red, and with discernment abyssite hitting grellow doesn't take nearly as long as it might sound as long as your mages aren't HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

For fights where grellow/blue/red don't matter, i.e. farming Empyrean weapons or doing anything outside of Abyssea (not that that is common) capping delay is potentially the most valuable asset you can have for melees, probably next to making sure your healers have refresh of some variety.

"Situational" is a much different fish than "useless." DRK has no purpose doing anything these days outside of providing the same damage a lot of other jobs can do much easier. PLD is in a worse situation. BRD's utility has slackened with Abyssea content but unless you were WAR/MNK/WHM that's happened to everybody.

Due to how haste shatters this game with the kind of damage your DDs should be doing, until every damage job in the game can cap delay reduction without march I respectfully disagree with your stance of BRD being close to being useless.
in the end, whether you hit the delay cap or not, you still hit the mob the same number of times. so it doesn't really have any more impact on proccing red/blue than it does on the fight as a whole. therefore your only point, really, is it speeds stuff up. which was never denied, but you could also throw another DD on a mob to speed things up. there's also the fact that while it speeds things up, it's nowhere near necessary, compared to damage/!!proc/healing.
 Asura.Rinkydink
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-02-17 03:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

i think you mis understood what i meant..

It used to be "omg this pt wont work without a brd".. was a must have in most situations because people couldnt cap haste and needed extra bonuses. With atma and abyssites etc people are capping their stats pretty easily now and no one screams for haste as much as they used to.

Not sayiong having a brd isnt a very nice addition just saying they arent as needed much now because people are low manning things without problems .

i rarely see a brd in just for the pt, or even pullign these days i usually see them for procing yellow only
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-17 03:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

TL;DR: MNK NIN THF WHM BLM/BRD WAR BLU are the only jobs you need in the game. Sorry guys.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 03:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't WAR out-tank and DD MNK these days?
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-17 03:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Doesn't WAR out-tank and DD MNK these days?

Um... kinda. WAR is like a glass canon. I wouldn't recommend WAR-tanking unless you're like a Galka. Scary ***.

ALSO I LOVE YOUR AVATAR OMG REEVEEEEEEE!!! I have some cute Reeve pictures if you want me to photo dump on you.

Edit: I was just saying today that Tony Stark from Iron Man totally looks like Reeve. I mean, I've said that before but it was brought up today... COINCIDENCE?
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2011-02-17 03:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure anything can really be considered endgame at this point.

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 03:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

yay Reeve! He was my favourite VII character lol. The reason I'll always use Cait-Sith no matter the situation :D
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-17 03:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
I'm not sure anything can really be considered endgame at this point.

True.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 03:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

And wow he totally does look like Tony Stark XD
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-17 03:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
yay Reeve! He was my favourite VII character lol. The reason I'll always use Cait-Sith no matter the situation :D

Oh my god lemme go raid my main computer and kill your inbox. I'm not sure how many pics I have on that one, I have more on my semi-dead computer that I might raid tomorrow. :O
First Page 2