Thoughts on the December update notes:
 Asura.Matzilla
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-12-01 12:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weewoo said:
Yeah, I just realized how much crits have become special lately.
With all the neat ***increasing the rate, and the multi hit weapon skills with critical mods, it's no wonder some DDs are left in the dust.

However, most of those fancy weapon skills require you to wear that pseudo-empyrean weapon right? How does that weapon alone measure up to others by grace of weapon skill alone?

those pseudo empyreans have like top5 dmg of any weapon in their class, clearly the best things to get if you cant get empyrean at this point
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-01 12:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
... they hadn't "fixed" sipar
?
Last I heard they vastly lowered the proc rate on it a few updates back. So it no longer has the automatic omfg block rate anymore
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-01 12:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weewoo said:
With all the neat ***increasing the rate, and the multi hit weapon skills with critical mods, it's no wonder some DDs are left in the dust.

However, most of those fancy weapon skills require you to wear that pseudo-empyrean weapon right? How does that weapon alone measure up to others by grace of weapon skill alone?
Quietus scales decently against high-def mobs, but overall it still won't measure up. Torcleaver is a little better in the rawrdamage department iirc since it's designed to be frontloaded rather than consistent damage as defense scales, but VIT mod still screws it in the end.
 Bahamut.Vagrua
user: Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2010-12-01 12:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said:
Bahamut.Vagrua said:
DDs can't tank big NMs well at all. them building hate just gets them killed. A paladin takes sufficiently less damage, but has trouble holding hate while the damage to take down the NM is being done by DD.

What in the *** have you been smoking?
I only know from experience with my linkshell from doing zone bosses in Abyssea, if a DD gets any hate they are killed within 5-10 seconds, though afterwards the paladins regain hate until another DD comes along to throw in their damage and also dies. Any other small pop NMs or regular NMs can be tanked fairly easily by DDs. I am only referring to BIG NMs. A single AoE from one of these NMs can wipe out all the DD, yet the PLDs tanking will survive with half or more of their health. During bosses, our summoners do the most damage output since they can just be resummoned and thrown at the NMs. DDs hate levels on the other hand are off the chart.
 Fenrir.Weewoo
By Fenrir.Weewoo 2010-12-01 12:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
Fenrir.Weewoo said:

those pseudo empyreans have like top5 dmg of any weapon in their class, clearly the best things to get if you cant get empyrean at this point

Gotcha.
Would be nice though if they did some quest line or something that let you unlock the weapon skill for conventional use like they did with the Nyzul ones.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-01 12:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said:
Bahamut.Serj said:
Bahamut.Vagrua said:
DDs can't tank big NMs well at all. them building hate just gets them killed. A paladin takes sufficiently less damage, but has trouble holding hate while the damage to take down the NM is being done by DD.

I only know from experience with my linkshell from doing zone bosses in Abyssea, if a DD gets any hate they are killed within 5-10 seconds
Stopped reading here. Your DDs suck.
 Leviathan.Bassclef
Server: Leviathan
user: Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-01 12:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, only spells for WHM this upcoming update. :/

At least SAM gets a new job ability useful to those who still do Campaign, oh wait...
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-01 12:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said:
Bahamut.Serj said:
Bahamut.Vagrua said:
I only know from experience with my linkshell from doing zone bosses in Abyssea, if a DD gets any hate they are killed within 5-10 seconds, though afterwards the paladins regain hate until another DD comes along to throw in their damage and also dies. Any other small pop NMs or regular NMs can be tanked fairly easily by DDs. I am only referring to BIG NMs. A single AoE from one of these NMs can wipe out all the DD, yet the PLDs tanking will survive with half or more of their health. During bosses, our summoners do the most damage output since they can just be resummoned and thrown at the NMs. DDs hate levels on the other hand are off the chart.
You do realize that as far as AOEs knocking people out a mnk would more likely survive than a pld right?

Oh and my blus hate lvls are just fine... SATA ;). Can't wait to get hide too
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-12-01 12:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weewoo said:
Asura.Matzilla said:
Fenrir.Weewoo said:

Gotcha.
Would be nice though if they did some quest line or something that let you unlock the weapon skill for conventional use like they did with the Nyzul ones.

would be very nice.. but I suppose getting the walk of echoes coins isnt that bad :|
 Fenrir.Weewoo
By Fenrir.Weewoo 2010-12-01 12:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Weewoo said:

Quietus scales decently against high-def mobs, but overall it still won't measure up. Torcleaver is a little better in the rawrdamage department iirc since it's designed to be frontloaded rather than consistent damage as defense scales, but VIT mod still screws it in the end.

I noticed a handful of these new crazy weapon skills are either crit hit based, defense ignoring, or double/triple damage. So each have their own practicality, however, it would seem crit and double/triple obviously have consistent advantages against any and every mob rather than the ones that only shine through when it's a mob/boss built out of titanium.

PS: Sorry if I'm an idiot at this; I started from scratch not long ago hence the lvl 27 lawl.
 Fenrir.Weewoo
By Fenrir.Weewoo 2010-12-01 12:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
Fenrir.Weewoo said:
Asura.Matzilla said:
Fenrir.Weewoo said:

Gotcha.

would be very nice.. but I suppose getting the walk of echoes coins isnt that bad :|

God, I feel like such a *** noob.
Care to paraphrase or wiki link me on what those are for? ._.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-01 12:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Crit WS tend to scale well too due to the way crit pDIF is calculated, but yeah you've got the right idea.
 Bahamut.Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2010-12-01 12:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

You do realize that as far as AOEs knocking people out a mnk would more likely survive than a pld right?
Yes, but can a monk hold hate off of the other DDs and healers along with surviving?
PLDs also have access to MDB gear.
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-12-01 12:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said:
Quote:

Yes, but can a monk hold hate off of the other DDs and healers along with surviving?

yes

and that doesnt matter
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-01 12:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said:
Quote:

ITT: MNK can't DPS, doesn't have counter, and doesn't have access to PDT or MDT gear.

Jesus *** christ.
 Bahamut.Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2010-12-01 12:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
Bahamut.Vagrua said:
Quote:

yes

and that doesnt matter
the answer is no..mnks will die from repeated agas/etc.
if they try to kite they won't be able to keep hate at all as mnk/nin has no way of getting hate off the NM as DDs are throwing 700+ WSs and healers are throwing cure v's vis at him.
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-12-01 12:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said:
[+]
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-12-01 12:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said:
DDs are throwing 700+ WSs

[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-01 13:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol 700 dmg ws... my blu does more than that with its ws. And that's using a refresh atma. I'm hitting 5k+ with SA spells
 Bahamut.Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2010-12-01 13:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
Bahamut.Vagrua said:
the zone bosses take much less damage than regular NMs..anyways I'm gonna go. you can believe what you want to.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-01 13:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Crit WS tend to scale well too due to the way crit pDIF is calculated, but yeah you've got the right idea.
Well melee crit ws. The way they changed ranged ones kinda *** that.
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-12-01 13:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said:
Asura.Matzilla said:
Bahamut.Vagrua said:
the zone bosses take much less damage than regular NMs..anyways I'm gonna go. you can believe what you want to.

woah woah woah quote properly, I did not say this
 Ramuh.Aramachus
Server: Ramuh
user: Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2010-12-01 13:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Take it easy, its a game guys >_> after reading through half of this and a few other threads concerning the update most I read is the "we got gimped again!!! FU SE!" and loads of "thats it I quit!!!" if you are so much into this game that an update makes you want to quit (apparently its only a kind of threatening since ppl still play although saying it each update) because your job did not get as good upgrades as other jobs lol you should maybe take a break for a few days, its just childish. every job is still interesting to play, if you dont like the game anymore and its only addiction keeping you playing, dare to quit, youre wasting your time otherwise.
[+]
 Fenrir.Weewoo
By Fenrir.Weewoo 2010-12-01 13:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Just remember guys, a job's updates are like pendulums. Sometimes it'll swing in your favor and other times it won't. What matters is you stay devoted to what you enjoy playing and in time it duty will call it to the front lines again.

Until then, try a different (more useful) class ^^
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-12-01 13:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weewoo said:
Just remember guys, a job's updates are like pendulums. Sometimes it'll swing in your favor and other times it won't. What matters is you stay devoted to what you enjoy playing and in time it duty will call it to the front lines again.

This.

91-99 hopefully won't be abyssea which will mean we'll probably be getting some new endgame thing at those levels which will probably restore things to their former relative balance.
[+]
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-12-01 13:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Fenrir.Weewoo said:

This.

91-99 hopefully won't be abyssea which will mean we'll probably be getting some new endgame thing at those levels which will probably restore things to their former relative balance.

woohoo samurai!!!!!!!!!
Server: Odin
By Odin.Chazzyphizzle 2010-12-01 14:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

going to assume vagrua's monks dont have ascetics fury, victory smite, or razed ruin. and then i am going to assume they suck too bad to get said atma.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-01 14:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Curing Waltz V (DNC Lv.87 Ability Delay: 23 sec.)

well *** me, another waltz i wont be using....
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-12-01 14:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Chazzyphizzle said:
going to assume vagrua's monks dont have ascetics fury, victory smite, or razed ruin. and then i am going to assume they suck too bad to get said atma.

What is atma?
Server: Odin
By Odin.Chazzyphizzle 2010-12-01 14:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

i dunno but in ff3 it was a big monster, and a sword whose damage scaled with hp, so maybe it's a good pld sword crafting mat?