How Does Abyssea Work?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » How does Abyssea work?
How does Abyssea work?
 Alexander.Trixan
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Trixan
By Alexander.Trixan 2010-11-09 06:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Wondering for those that do Abyssea. Usually in Abyssea (Not all the time) when hunting big NM's there is an alliance of people. Like any other event, how would you tell if someone could lot anything? I'm wondering this because Abyssea is usually so fast, how would you keep track of points or a bidding system. Just curious because my last Ls was a big failure because we didn't have one.
[+]
By Areis 2010-11-09 06:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

There are generally 3 ways, I see, to determine who gets what.

1 : Your pop, Your drop
Generally for mercenary or PUG groups. People are expected to bring their own triggers for what items they want.
To be successful people need enough time to get to at least 1 pop for everyone, which means a lot of time or a small group.

2 : Priority
For "rich" link-shells who can buy their triggers you can setup a pre-determined order for NM's and stick to it. For each "cycle" members are allowed to pick 1-X item(s) for priority.
Lotting goes Priority > Can use > Free lot.
This suffers from often stacking the same targets repeatedly because a favored member wants the item.

3: Points
there's a ton to consider for this method
a) gaining points
| points based on time, you gain points based on constructive time spent at events
| points based on items, you gain (additional) points for bringing items that are needed
| points based on kills, you gain points by being present for a significant portion of each noteworthy enemy defeated.
b) spending points
| static value, items cost X points you can't lot if you don't have that many, anyone with that many (and can use) can lot
| bidding, items cost X points and bidding can raise the cost by increments of Y, only people with enough points to pay for the highest bid may lot
c) point decay
| you lose points based on non-attendance
| maximum point cap to stop "hoarders"
d) tallying
| tally before, you can spend what you would theoretically earn this run
| tally after, you get points when you finish and can't spend them till next run

There's a lot of book keeping for a points system once you know how people get points, spend points, lose points & how/when to count them it's just a matter of having someone dedicated to handling updates.

This isn't all inclusive but it's not a bad start. Different groups lend themselves to different ways of handing who gets what and until you've tried to handle things for a bit it'll be a bumpy road.
 Alexander.Keman
user: Keman
By Alexander.Keman 2010-11-09 08:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

OK well Im in an Abyssea LS and we just get 5 points per run with 2 runs a week, after the item drops they do a silent bid system which so far has worked out great imo. If its a 100% drop then they sometimes may do the loting/points before hand.

The leader and a few others keep up with everything on the LS website (points/drops/whatever) and it has worked just fine so far.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Server: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-11-09 08:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll spare the details on how to earn points since thats not what you asked. However in abyssea my ls is focused on af3 +2. What we do is spam a particular zone and everyone picks 1 piece of af3 +2 they are after and they can lot the appropriate coin/stone/card/jewel for the armor they chose. We do a flat rate reduction if you win one of these items and if someone is 1-2 items away from upgrade we generally ask people to let that person get items so that they may finish their piece. I don't want to waste time bidding, even silent bidding. We don't worry much about other gear drops since we spam the same mobs when we farm key items and see the same things drop over and over again. It probably also helps that most of the guys in my group have been playing together for at least 2-3 years and generally trust each other. You need to view abyssea mainly as you would salvage. You only have so much time in zone, opportunity to be in zone, and limited shots at NM's. Good luck, abyssea can be fun and lucrative if people work as an unselfish team.
[+]
 Alexander.Keman
By Alexander.Keman 2010-11-09 08:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Good luck, abyssea can be fun and lucrative if people work as an unselfish team.

Agree 100% that applies to alot of stuff really, including Abyssea.
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-11-09 08:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS uses a very simple point system. 1 PT gained per 30 minutes per scheduled abyssea, 30 PTs cap. No decay.
 Fenrir.Snick
Server: Fenrir
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-09 10:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkshade said:
My LS uses a very simple point system. 1 PT gained per 30 minutes per scheduled abyssea, 30 PTs cap. No decay.
That doesn't sound simple. Why not get 3 friends who don't suck and be able to kill every single NM in Abyssea and just decide who wants ***when it drops?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-11-09 10:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Snick, shut up. Every time you post, its about how everything can be 3-4 manned and if you're not doing it that way, you suck.

Not everyone has the means to do abyssea with 4 people, so lay off the *** already.

So that I am contributing, my shell does a point system. Points are laid out in google docs and the price list of items is posted on the website. It's all cut and dry, and we've done so many AF3+2s at this point, that a lot of stuff is starting to go free lot.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Server: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-11-09 10:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Snick, shut up. Every time you post, its about how everything can be 3-4 manned and if you're not doing it that way, you suck. Not everyone has the means to do abyssea with 4 people, so lay off the *** already. So that I am contributing, my shell does a point system. Points are laid out in google docs and the price list of items is posted on the website. It's all cut and dry, and we've done so many AF3+2s at this point, that a lot of stuff is starting to go free lot.

I also prefer doing stuff with lots of friends versus a couple. I like going into an ls with chit chat going versus everyone busy doing 2-4 man things and not contributing anything to the ls conversation or help wise.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-09 10:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Snick, shut up. Every time you post, its about how everything can be 3-4 manned and if you're not doing it that way, you suck.

Not everyone has the means to do abyssea with 4 people, so lay off the *** already.
So you say in your first paragraph that not being able to do it doesn't mean you suck but then say people don't have the means. Cause they suck...? I don't get your point.

Despite what you may believe, I really don't give a ***what people do. But don't kid yourself into a sense of efficiency doing things with a big LS. Those days are over now and will be unless SE releases some new non-Abyssea content or revamps old content somehow.
Quote:
So that I am contributing, my shell does a point system. Points are laid out in google docs and the price list of items is posted on the website. It's all cut and dry, and we've done so many AF3+2s at this point, that a lot of stuff is starting to go free lot.
You know what else is cut and dry? When an AF3+2 item drops and me and my 2 friends know who it goes to without saying a *** word~
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
I also prefer doing stuff with lots of friends versus a couple. I like going into an ls with chit chat going versus everyone busy doing 2-4 man things and not contributing anything to the ls conversation or help wise.
Make more assumptions about me will ya. I'm very close friends with the two people I play with often (Also spoiler, my shell has about 10 members). I'm even flying down to California sometime next year to visit one of my shell members. I doubt we got to this level of friendship by not talking. Shut up.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-11-09 11:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

*** point systems in abyssea.

our LS uses a simple system.

you have a predetermined set of jobs priorities. Same thing if it was just a pick up (I do this when running a party in new areas for AF Feet drops)

Tier1: JOB
Tier2: JOB
Tier3: JOB

Then we go target NMs so people can get their Tier1 priority. If X job drops only people with X job listed as Tier1 can lot. If no one has that job listed as Tier1 then it moves to if anyone has it listed as Tier2 and so on. If it gets past Tier3 then it's free lot anyone who has the job leveled can cast lots.

When doing AF Feet runs or exp parties in Scars zones I just tell everyone to set up a /seacom for the job they want and tell them what jobs feet drop in that zone. When the feet come only people with /seacoms up can cast lots. We have had people not follow the rules and they got booted from the party. lol last friday this guy comes in 15 minutes into our 6 hour party and just cast lots on PLD feet. 2 people did it who didn't setup /seacom, we keep telling them over and over to pass they wouldn't so we boot them both and reinvite. One of them understands the other is QQ the entire time won't rejoin the party leaves Abyssea and "supposedly" calls GM on me. He tried claiming he had /seacom up the whole time but w/e drama kids will be drama it's a simple system if you don't like it don't join my ally
 Alexander.Keman
By Alexander.Keman 2010-11-09 11:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I think any system put to good use can work just fine in abyssea.

Also I just noticed your a SMN and that is like one of the best low man jobs for abyssea I believe. I did abyssea with about 5 smns over the weekend as they just slauterd NM's making them look like EP's. I just sat there and watched basicly.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-11-09 11:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS uses a priority lotting system. Per each zone you lock in a job that you wish to finish you AF3+1/+2 item for, and 1 secondary job that is only for +1 seals. In order to lot for a +2 item, you must have the +1 finished already (Unless no one has the +1 finished). We also allow each member to pick 3 r/ex gears/accessories and 1 magian/emperian weapon to go after. Members who have already obtained a piece will generally have lower priority on subsequent items. And of course, members who put in more time and effort to farm pops and have higher attendance will be favored.
 Asura.Nalien
Server: Asura
user: juro
By Asura.Nalien 2010-11-09 11:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Snick, shut up. Every time you post, its about how everything can be 3-4 manned and if you're not doing it that way, you suck. Not everyone has the means to do abyssea with 4 people, so lay off the *** already. So that I am contributing, my shell does a point system. Points are laid out in google docs and the price list of items is posted on the website. It's all cut and dry, and we've done so many AF3+2s at this point, that a lot of stuff is starting to go free lot.

Huh?
- More people = less contribution "help wise" per person.
- You can "chitchat" on Vent/TS without being in an 18-member alliance while farming stuff.
- "chitchat" =/= help or contributing

On a different note:
I just free lot everything, people (friends) pass what they feel others may use or deserve more anyway and wait all of a few hours (+1) to a few days (+2) to get theirs.

lolAbyssea and five minute boss kills while triggering !!s of all kind, regardless of people present.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-11-09 11:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So how many AF3+2 has your super efficient method brought you so far Snick? You also assume those of us in groups are in large groups. My shell runs with 12.

I've finished 5 pieces of +2 and working on 2 more at the moment. I'm quite curious since you say anyone who does it with more than 3 people sucks, how many pieces have you finished? If you are as awesome as you say, then I'd guess at least 10+.
 Bismarck.Nalien
Server: Bismarck
user: juro
By Bismarck.Nalien 2010-11-09 12:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do people try to swing their epeen around by using AF3+2 as an argument?
I honestly can not think of anything that has been easier to get than these.
[+]
 Alexander.Trixan
user: Trixan
By Alexander.Trixan 2010-11-09 14:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the ideas :D if you have anymore feel free to post them.
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-11-09 14:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't do Abyssea with a large group. 9 on a good day but 90% of the time I do it with just 6 and we pretty much do people with the job 80+ can lot. And for +2 items you must be 80+ and have +1 pieces already before you can lot. Oh and all gil items unless the person generally needs like Kemas Earring for example go free lot other wise people don't mind just letting whoever have if they need it.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-11-09 15:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nalien said:
Why do peo ...

/stare <3
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-11-09 15:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure how other ls's do it, but in ours, we have a priority system for seals/jewels/stones for af3+1/+2. Each person gets 3 prios. (Only 3, so pick your top favorite jobs carefully.) We can look at mine for examples' sake.

My prios, in order, are 1.) thf, 2.) blm, 3.) rng. Every time a thf item drops, I get to lot it. Anyone with thf as their Prio 1 can lot it. If all the Prio 1 thfs are finished with it, then Prio 2 thfs can lot it. If a blm item drops, I can only lot it if all the Prio 1 blms are finished with it. If a rng item drops, I can only lot it if all the Prios 1 and 2 rngs are done with it.

On items like jewels, since jewels are for more than one job, anyone with a job that the jewel is for as their Prio 1 can lot it. Since so many people need so many of the same jewels, as of now, the chances of getting a jewel for a Prio 2 or 3 job are very low, unless you lowman things with a few pals to obtain them.

For non-af3 items (auric dagger, rapidus sax, spiral ring, tumbler trunks, etc etc) we use a point system. We get points for the time we spend in abyssea with the ls. For popped NMs, since they are generally easy to pop, items are free lot if you can use it. For timed-spawn NMs, you spend points on the items you want.

For weapon items (helm of Briarius, fishy lantern, etc) you may only lot the item if you are in the later stages of the weapon.

I think our ls system is pretty fair. Also, there's no penalty for low-manning on the side, so we can go to ls event abyssea for a few hours til the event is over, then go kill other things as we like. My husband and I recently duo'd the slug NM in Ottawa several times to finish my thf hat and his nin hat. We don't get penalized for that, and it makes the other thfs happy because now they get to lot thf head seals. (It'll make the other nins happy, too, once we get the stingy bugger to drop another nin head seal or two instead of giving us two mnk seals every time. xD)
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-09 21:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
So how many AF3+2 has your super efficient method brought you so far Snick? You also assume those of us in groups are in large groups. My shell runs with 12.

I've finished 5 pieces of +2 and working on 2 more at the moment. I'm quite curious since you say anyone who does it with more than 3 people sucks, how many pieces have you finished? If you are as awesome as you say, then I'd guess at least 10+.
None, cause I'm on WHM 99% of the time and WHMs is a piss minor upgrade from +1 to +2.

Jewels and stones all go to Nightfyre/Captaincrunch~

Also 12 > 3 last I checked bro.
 Asura.Dyablito
Server: Asura
user: Dyablito
By Asura.Dyablito 2010-11-09 21:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Our ls is base on points we run 3 days a weak
mostly all our members get 2 stones a day
1 day we farm for KI/pop NM and boss quest
2 day we do wish list/atmas
3 day we farm af+1 and af+2 items
also our ls is pets jobs mostly unless we need atmas/KI we bring some DDs(war and nin)

http://xgoldensaintsx.guildwork.com/