Link | Quote | Reply

Ask questions and get them answered.
 Asura.Artemyse
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Artemys
By Asura.Artemyse 2010-10-15 04:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the exposure level effect your results of mining, if so to what extent?

A good place to mine Zinc Ore? Currently I've only found it at Grade 2 areas in Ul'dah, is there other places, and reverting back to my first question does exposure effect the possibility of mining this?
 Gilgamesh.Bali
Server: Gilgamesh
user: jogara
By Gilgamesh.Bali 2010-10-15 05:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Exposure is similar to the depth option when fishing. Adjusting the exposure slider will change the %'s on the loot table. In the future this option will help miners isolate a specific item they are after. At the moment however there is insufficient data gathered to point you to a specific area and Exposure for a given item.

Zinc has been a problematic ore for me to obtain, mainly because I spent the majority of my first 20 ranks in the Limsa Lominsa area. I can say other then the lvl 2 nodes in Ul'dah you referred to you can obtain Zinc from lvl 3 and lvl 4 nodes in Gridania.

My work in all but grid at lvl 4 is limited so I can't enlighten you exactly on exposure there. I gleaned my greatest amount of zinc from the highest point on the exposure slider on lvl 4 nodes in Gridania.
 Gilgamesh.Etherstorm
By Gilgamesh.Etherstorm 2010-10-15 06:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya so far uldah lvl 2 nodes give the best results for zinc ore start around camp drybone and work your way from there
 Gilgamesh.Bali
By Gilgamesh.Bali 2010-10-15 06:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

yo ether what server you on?
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-10-15 07:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I always go two notches down when mining or logging. It's a personal preference, and I don't believe it really matters at this point.

I sold a couple stacks of zinc yesterday to my LS. All of it was obtained from Grid nodes (grade 2, rarely on grade 1, iirc).
 Asura.Artemyse
By Asura.Artemyse 2010-10-15 08:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
I always go two notches down when mining or logging. It's a personal preference, and I don't believe it really matters at this point.

I sold a couple stacks of zinc yesterday to my LS. All of it was obtained from Grid nodes (grade 2, rarely on grade 1, iirc).
Lol that's exactly what I do xD
 Valefor.Shaone
Server: Valefor
user: Shaone
By Valefor.Shaone 2010-10-15 08:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Can low level miners cause mining points to collapse if they attempt high grade mining points?
 Gilgamesh.Bali
By Gilgamesh.Bali 2010-10-15 08:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes low level miners collapse high grade nodes at a very rapid rate. 2-3 attempts to mine on higher lvl node is all it takes to destory it. This is so aggravating.
 Asura.Artemyse
By Asura.Artemyse 2010-10-15 09:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Bali said:
Yes low level miners collapse high grade nodes at a very rapid rate. 2-3 attempts to mine on higher lvl node is all it takes to destory it. This is so aggravating.
WHat's your understanding of level:Grade?

In other words at what levels do you recommend mining grades.
 Gilgamesh.Bali
By Gilgamesh.Bali 2010-10-15 10:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I never actively mined anything higher then the Lay of the Land lvl I had, because it was such poor sp/hr. However, I'd say that the next grade above you would see little effect. I notice low rank player's (what i call fragging) collapsing mines greatest when they are 2 lvl's over their ability.

IE a r4 miner at bloodshore passing a node and deciding to hit it. In instances like this I'd be omw there with the node giving no inclination of being close to collapsing, but with one swing the r4 Frags the node.

When I was mining lvl 4 nodes in Coerthas there was a R12 miner who decided to follow me from node to node as I had Lay of the land to lead him. He would frag the node before I got into my second swing. It's extremely irritating for higher rank miners, but how much can I fault them when they probably don't even realize what they are doing.
 Leviathan.Kosal
Server: Leviathan
user: Kosal
By Leviathan.Kosal 2010-10-16 15:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the Grades correlate with the lvl of Leves given in a certain area? IE Grade 1 associated with Camp Black Brush as is Rank 1-10 leves, likewise Grade 2 associated with Camp Drybone as is Rank 10-20 leves.
 Gilgamesh.Bali
By Gilgamesh.Bali 2010-10-16 16:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes they do. For LL areas it would be Beardrock, skull valley, bloodshore

Grid - bentbranch, green moss, tranquil
Ul'dah - black brush, drybone, horizon
 Leviathan.Kosal
By Leviathan.Kosal 2010-10-16 18:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx, anyone besides myself noticed that Ore > Gems?
 Asura.Artemyse
By Asura.Artemyse 2010-10-16 20:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kosal said:
Thx, anyone besides myself noticed that Ore > Gems?
Heh, I wish that were so for me. I get a ton of Raw Gems when I mine, same for other stuff like Femurs/BoneChips/Sands I'd say I get about a 33/33/33 would love if majority was Ores lol
 Leviathan.Kosal
By Leviathan.Kosal 2010-10-16 23:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I was more or less refering to sales rather acquisition. I would say I have about 25 finished gems in my bazaar and when compared to ores, the ores sell way faster.
 Phoenix.Katori
Server: Phoenix
user: agroyboy
By Phoenix.Katori 2010-10-17 08:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i go one notch below middle and i seem to get zinc. but zinc can only be mined some mine spots not all mining spot drop zinc. why you see different items drop.

this guy has some good info

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1067 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Eboneezer
Server: Shiva
user: Eboneezer
By Shiva.Eboneezer 2013-09-18 03:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Where can I find Bomb Ash? I'm level 30, and the GE website lists bombash as a level 30 node in Southern Thanalan. I've gone all over and none of the nodes have it that I can find.

Anyone know where I can mine up some bomb ash? Thanks
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-09-18 04:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eboneezer said: »
Where can I find Bomb Ash? I'm level 30, and the GE website lists bombash as a level 30 node in Southern Thanalan. I've gone all over and none of the nodes have it that I can find.

Anyone know where I can mine up some bomb ash? Thanks
Bomb ash is in Southern Thanalan. If you go to the Forgotten Springs teleport -> northeast. It's around (23,29). There are four points right south of that path there. It is silex and bomb ash at those points.
[+]
 Shiva.Eboneezer
Server: Shiva
user: Eboneezer
By Shiva.Eboneezer 2013-09-21 11:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Just hit 30 on Miner and was wanting to look into those guild levees or whatever they are. I used them on Armorer and got tons of xp. When I checked as a Miner, they only had them up to level 15. Do different areas offer different levels? If so, any idea on where to go for some around level 30?

Thanks
 Bahamut.Feisei
Server: Bahamut
user: feifei
By Bahamut.Feisei 2013-09-21 19:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes Eboneezer, here is a handy leve guide:

http://eorzeareborn.com/levemete/
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [45 days between previous and next post]
By riyuzaki 2013-11-06 02:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone know how exactly stone whisperer IV works? i've looked around but i can't really find exactly how it works.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [174 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2014-04-29 06:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

So I've done some research on this, and it seems there is a decided lack of flowing information on the subject of gathering, mining, or what-else. I can only assume this is a product of people either figuring it out themselves and assuming others can do the same, or that the knowledge gleaned through first-hand experience just isn't being shared. So! Apropos that this is a Q&A, I'll go ahead and submit as such in the proper format.

Q: I just unlocked the job, now how do I use it?
A: Exiting the major cities will plunk you down into the world of Eorzea and all its vast riches of mine-able goods. You'll notice that you automatically have the "Prospect" ability turned on. This will show you where the mining nodes are located on your mini-map, wherever you have that located on the UI.

Q: I found these nodes, what do I do with them?
A: A few options. Either right-clicking on them (I use PC version, no experience with console versions, sorry ;_;) or using your target NPC hotkey + confirm to bring up the mining menu. Inside will show what ores can be obtained in your particular node, and its percentages of attainability, as well as your chances for an HQ. Higher "Gathering" skill will increase your percentage for attainment, while "Perception" will increase your chances for HQ, up to 15%.

Q: There's other people out here plinking away at my nodes! How can I avoid competition?
A: The node you see is yours and yours alone. They're picking at their own mineral deposit/rocky outcrop and will not impede you at all.

Q: I can't seem to find higher level nodes. Where do I go next?
A: Lay of the Land and LotL II are your friends. In the zone you're at, using either will direct you to the nearest node and the highest node, respectively, for your current area. If you have run out of high enough level nodes, you should switch to a higher level area. The nodes scale in difficulty by level as the monsters do for DoW/DoM. Just be sure you're using Stealth to avoid unwanted conflict as the higher areas spit out more aggressive monsters.

Q: Node grinding sucks balls. Can this go faster?
A: Levemetes. There are numerous Fieldcraft Leve sites with zone, location and NPC name for every level to 50. Use them.

Q: Do different zones have different drops?
A: Yes. Some ores only come from specific areas in specific zones. Like the Pokemon, you gotta catch em all to mine them all.

These are the questions I've been asked in-game and some questions I had for myself that I had to learn. If even one person finds this helpful, then I've done my good deed. Happy Gathering!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [524 days between previous and next post]
By Toknherb 2015-10-05 14:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

once you get to level 50, how do you get the special items that are marked with single through triple stars?
 Asura.Poupee
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2015-10-05 20:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Toknherb said: »
once you get to level 50, how do you get the special items that are marked with single through triple stars?
You need a certain amount of gathering and perception(for hq)