Forum » FFXI » General » Tips to getting over FFXI
Tips to getting over FFXI
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-09-27 14:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I learned if you like video games and you quit FFXI. Your only going to waste time on other video games. If you really want to do something good go run off the weight FFXI puts on if your addicted to it. Start eating healthier, Spend time with family/ your significant other. Then come back when you priorities are straight.

Just hit the weights and do cardio. Your body will become addicted to this and you will damn well feel weird/lazy if your sitting around for long periods of time lol.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-09-27 14:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Play games that are actually good (not completely mind-numbing).

Better yet, stay away from the average RPG for a while. You'll be going "The hell? Where's the hate system, gear sets, and skill/spell modifiers? This ***is too simple!".
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-09-27 14:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When I quit a MMO, I don't continue to post on that MMO's forums. If I want to talk to friends, I have a phone and/or MSN. Posting on a forum is not "chatting" with friends. Also, I never said there was a law against posting did I? I'll make my point clearer for you. I don't think the people lurking on FFXIAH after they've quit are the best people to be giving advice on quitting, since obviously they're still attached to the game in some way. I've quit many MMO's before, the best way to do it is to forget about it and remove yourself completely from anything that has to do with the game, such as these forums. Otherwise, you'll return eventually (which is fine if that's what you want to do some day).

Edit: Also, playing another game or MMO makes it much easier to forget about the MMO you're quitting as well.
[+]
 Fenrir.Yinsha
user: Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 14:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
From what I learned if you like video games and you quit FFXI. Your only going to waste time on other video games. If you really want to do something good go run off the weight FFXI puts on if your addicted to it. Start eating healthier, Spend time with family/ your significant other. Then come back when you priorities are straight.

Just hit the weights and do cardio. Your body will become addicted to this and you will damn well feel weird/lazy if your sitting around for long periods of time lol.
This.
 Leviathan.Hastefeet
Server: Leviathan
user: Andras
By Leviathan.Hastefeet 2010-09-27 14:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nitsuj said:
Leviathan.Hastefeet said:
stop playing

thats how i got over it lol

after u stop for a bit u stop having the want to play

for me that's how it happened

had to reformat my computer so i lost ffxi and i didnt feel like doing hours of updates

figured i should stop playing so i did and didnt really miss it since

You also started playing a different MMO, don't forget :P

not really i just started FFXIV today and havent done anything in it

i played the beta too but not as much as ffxi

im not addicted to MMOs anymore <.<
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-27 14:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
When I quit a MMO, I don't continue to post on that MMO's forums. If I want to talk to friends, I have a phone and/or MSN. Posting on a forum is not "chatting" with friends. Also, I never said there was a law against posting did I? I'll make my point clearer for you. I don't think the people lurking on FFXIAH after they've quit are the best people to be giving advice on quitting, since obviously they're still attached to the game in some way. I've quit many MMO's before, the best way to do it is to forget about it and remove yourself completely from anything that has to do with the game, such as these forums. Otherwise, you'll return eventually (which is fine if that's what you want to do some day).

Edit: Also, playing another game or MMO makes it much easier to forget about the MMO you're quitting as well.

He said quitting the game, not the community. And yes, posting on forum is chatting with friends. Its the easiest way to talk to everyone at once.

You can be attached to the community and not play the game.

The other MMO only works if you think its better than XI, some people went to WoW or EvE or Aion and loved it and never came back, some did and thought it wasnt nearly as good as XI.

EDIT: he also merely asked advice, that's not a platform for people to insult other advice.
By RingmastersWord 2010-09-27 14:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Suggestions? Try as hard as you can to not play anything that has strong ties to XI. I've "quit" enough times that I now just call it "taking a break". Iv lost all my stuff, lost my chars (some of iv gotten back now) and removed it from my life as much as possible. Best Ive done is stayed away for a year or so. Always able to re-buy and restart. FF13 got me interested again and now I'm back.

I love FFXI, and have nothing better to do with my time and reduce stress from the kids and everything. I make sure to still get everything done needed, spend time with my boys, do chores, etc. But hey good luck if you are trying to stay away. I'm a little over obsessive so maybe it will be easier for you.
 Alexander.Ewitt
Server: Alexander
user: ginger
By Alexander.Ewitt 2010-09-27 14:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

My hubby is crazy, I've been done with FFXI for years now but he still wants to play. So I play. How I fixed this.

We started playing other MMO.
Wow now FFXIV. There are many free ones non as good a pay ones.

But I'm at the point I could quit any game cold turkey. Most non online games I don't even finishing. Take metroid prime 1. new play controls. I got the the final boss amost every buff in the game. Played the boss ones got it to 10-20% hp left and said oo I can come back and try it again another time.. That was 9 months ago! Haven't even played it.
By chaosmite 2010-09-27 14:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sell your car.
Buy an Ostrich.
Paint it yellow.
RL chocobo.
You're welcome.
[+]
 Fenrir.Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 14:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Bismarck.Helel said:

I don't know if you've realized, but a good portion of the discussions here are not at all FFXI related. There's nothing wrong with visiting the forums after you've quit.

For me it was time to quit when I didn't have time to do much in the game. I'd either be doing school work or be out with friends and didn't have time to play FFXI. As this went on, I simply began to lose interest. I absolutely love the people I played with and I hate leaving them, but the game loses its appeal when you're out having fun in real life.

So..try going out with friends and doing stuff. Have fun.
What is FFXI?
 Bahamut.Demios
Server: Bahamut
user: Demios420
By Bahamut.Demios 2010-09-27 14:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I find myself struggling to find reasons why RL stuff is better or preferrable to an online world. In theory if u can hold down a job (which undoubtably you do have if you can pay for the game and still eat and pay you're other bills) Then you are in the Real World, and most likely have work aquaintances that you know.

Is it to try and get a better job that will pay u more make you work more and almost definitely stress u out more, is it to try and buy a house with a mortgage you have to struggle to afford, is it to try and be sociable by going out to some lame bar and drink yourself into a stupor, or maybe its so you can make time to have kids or spend more time with your kids. All I know is that you can do any of these things and not have the game be a problem with any of these things. Manage you're time wisely, have friends in real life and in the game, choose to not play on certain days so you can spend time doing whatever it is you wish to accomplish. In the end if you cant balance this stuff should probably look to yourself in order to figure out how to figure out what you're life is all about and how to get out of it what you really want as noone else either you're friends at a bar, you're co-workers, your linkshell members or some random dude shouting in Aht Urghan can tell you what you need to know
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-27 14:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:

Videogames are as much a waste of time as any of those activities. But at least those are (Generally) Cheaper.

Make no apologies for what you enjoy in life, it's your life, and anyone who tells you how to live it is simply lesser of a person.

What other people have already said is true, if you want to give up FFXI, you have to really sever all ties with it. It's the only way.
[+]
 Fenrir.Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 15:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

Videogames are as much a waste of time as any of those activities. But at least those are (Generally) Cheaper.
Please explain to me how being healthy is a waste of time?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-27 15:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Yinsha said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

edit for fail.*
Explain to me how enjoying your time is. Then we'll talk.
 Fenrir.Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 15:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Yinsha said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

Explain to me how enjoying your time isn't. Then we'll talk.
Explain why being healthy has to be boring. hi2u endorphins/confidence/supersaiyanswagger/ppladmirin
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-27 15:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Yinsha said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Yinsha said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

Explain to me how enjoying your time isn't. Then we'll talk.
Explain why being healthy has to be boring. hi2u endorphins/confidence/supersaiyanswagger/ppladmirin

You're implying that the two are mutually exclusive, this is not the case.
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-09-27 15:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Tips for quitting ffxi.. hmmm

*Join a cult

*Become a heart donor

*Join a Mexican wrestling club

thats all i got.. maybe somebody has a few better :o
 Phoenix.Elaenia
user: izzlet
By Phoenix.Elaenia 2010-09-27 15:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

telling all your ffxi friends to *** off is working pretty good for me so far, altho i don't plan on quitting, just not logging in as often
but mine were dickbags anyway so you might not wanna do that to yours if they're cool people :(
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 15:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:

wat

my body has NEVER become addicted to weights/cardio

i hate it as much as i ever did
[+]
 Phoenix.Destrac
user: Destrac
By Phoenix.Destrac 2010-09-27 15:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Demios said:
I find myself struggling to find reasons why RL stuff is better or preferrable to an online world. In theory if u can hold down a job (which undoubtably you do have if you can pay for the game and still eat and pay you're other bills) Then you are in the Real World, and most likely have work aquaintances that you know.

Is it to try and get a better job that will pay u more make you work more and almost definitely stress u out more, is it to try and buy a house with a mortgage you have to struggle to afford, is it to try and be sociable by going out to some lame bar and drink yourself into a stupor, or maybe its so you can make time to have kids or spend more time with your kids. All I know is that you can do any of these things and not have the game be a problem with any of these things. Manage you're time wisely, have friends in real life and in the game, choose to not play on certain days so you can spend time doing whatever it is you wish to accomplish. In the end if you cant balance this stuff should probably look to yourself in order to figure out how to figure out what you're life is all about and how to get out of it what you really want as noone else either you're friends at a bar, you're co-workers, your linkshell members or some random dude shouting in Aht Urghan can tell you what you need to know

This is true. Life is simple:

work - support your life, earn money
family - spend time with family (a little bit)
friends - spend time with friends (a lot, but not too much)
enjoy your time - do whatever the hell you like doing (that is legal and sane)

Who says going out to bars, drinking and partying is automatically better than playing an MMO? If you're doing whatever with the people you enjoy to be around, anything can be good and fun (regardless of whether its an MMO or not).

I've played FFXI since release and never once considered it a waste of time. Its a matter of setting priorities and time management. Sure, if you let any one activity dominate your life, its gonna suck (whether it be MMOs or sitting in the bar drinking all day every day). So people shouldn't automatically consider MMOs somehow beneath other activities, it depends on other stuff.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-27 15:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

wat

how would you life weights or run? you're a potato.

Phoenix.Destrac said:

work - support your life, earn money
family - spend time with family (a little bit)
friends - spend time with friends (a lot, but not too much)
enjoy your time - do whatever the hell you like doing (that is legal and sane)

Why legal and sane?
Weed is good and sanity is just hype.
I agree with you that overindulging in anything is bad for you though.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 15:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

wat

it's... difficult
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-27 15:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

wat

it's... difficult
only on inclines with a push right?
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 15:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Demios said:

i really WANT to agree with you, and i play ffxi a hell of a lot more than i go out to a bar(which is never)

the thing about rl friends, though, is they can act as a safety net for when you need help, and you can help them, a lot more easily than you can your internet friends

to put it simply, i like flionhart, but if my car breaks down on the highway, calling him to ask for a ride home isn't going to help much
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 15:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

wat

it's... difficult
only on inclines with a push right?

yeah, though it gets awkward if i hit a big eye
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-27 15:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Bahamut.Demios said:

i really WANT to agree with you, and i play ffxi a hell of a lot more than i go out to a bar(which is never)

the thing about rl friends, though, is they can act as a safety net for when you need help, and you can help them, a lot more easily than you can your internet friends

to put it simply, i like flionhart, but if my car breaks down on the highway, calling him to ask for a ride home isn't going to help much
I bet he'd split a pizza with you in a heartbeat if he had the chance.
Or hell you can each have your own whole pizzas even.

The way I haven't got addicted is I'd say my being a procrastinator and the fact that I don't play it like an MMO, I play it like a multiplayer with RL friends.
3TV,laptop all had ffxi running at one point for our group.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-27 15:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

You're implying that the two are mutually exclusive, this is not the case.

No he's not.

Exercise produces endorphins. Fact.
Endorphins = natural happy pill.
They make you feel good.
Better physical appearance increases self-confidence.

No one ever said that you can't play games and exercise/look good. It was suggested as an alternative to playing. And video games are a much bigger waste of time, for the record. Exercise improves quality of life and can actually be fun unless you're a Negative Nancy. Video games? They accomplish nothing meaningful aside from entertainment.

What is more meaningful in life than being happy? I could dig up many research papers that show how mentally enriching [many, but not all] games can be, which debunks your "Nothing beyond entertainment" position. And let's not forget the famous article about Games producing reflexes akin to Fighter-pilots that stir'd up a pretty big shitstorm here a few months ago.

The simple lesson here is, if you want to give advice, good for you, if you want to make someone else feel bad about the way they choose to live their life, keep it to yourself. Don't get me wrong Skarwind's advice was very good. I'm just trying to point out that nobody should think gaming as lesser than any other activity one does for enjoyment. But as with anything (Including Exercise, a huge majority of profession athletes over the age of 35 have severely debilitating chronic-stress related issues) too much will break you.
[+]
 Phoenix.Crimsontears
By Phoenix.Crimsontears 2010-09-27 15:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Need to find yourself a hobby. When I decided to stop playing, I decided to start programming for fun. This is one of the many different things I made :D

Like others have said, play other games, RPGs, whatever. Just find stuff to fill your time. I really didn't even care anymore after about a month myself. However, like most others I eventually caved and came back. :/

That's so effin' cool! That game is very very addicting. I play it on my iPhone all the time lol