Which Moogle weapon
 Bahamut.Shadowskull
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Shadow273
By Bahamut.Shadowskull 2010-09-16 13:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Hy everyone! need some info rq.

Blu has become one of my favorite jobs, although i dont have that much time to play atm.

i have firmament and perdu hanger atm. want upgrade em now.
but since im to lazy to do multiple weapons i wanna do 2 of the same kind.

my question: 2 x str att or 2 x dex acc swords.

aint have sword merits but blu 8/8, 5/str.
im elvaan.

thx for help
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-16 13:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Um doing 2 of the same kind wouldn't necessarily be easier than 2 different ones. It might even take longer. You can't be on the same trial on 2 different weapons.

Also 2-3 swd!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-09-16 13:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are dead set on your ways, I'd pick the two str swords. But Dasva is right.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-16 14:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Also 2-3 swd!
Meh. While it's fairly close to OAT (haven't mathed DA yet), it's arguably much, much more annoying to obtain.

Of the above, dual STR for sure. I can't condone taking the time to build a DEX Shamshir given the current state of the game with regards to accuracy, much less two of them.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-16 18:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Also 2-3 swd!
Meh. While it's fairly close to OAT (haven't mathed DA yet), it's arguably much, much more annoying to obtain.
2-3 still wins though. Also depends on what you do. You aren't soloing the higher dmg version so that one was obvious choice for me. 10 ruthven nails 30 drops from abyssea nms... 9k resistance credits at a time when peoples abyssea time is of the upmost of importance.

I'd almost reccomend the +10% ws dmg one too. Given how good we can tp now and how good we can ws. Even if its a mob that you can't vorpal well you can do great sanguine blades now. Has nice dps on it and is rather fast and easy to do.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-16 21:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
2-3 still wins though.
Pretty sure it's the other way around. You'll frequently over-TP either way which reduces the TP gain advantage of OA2-3 and it'll slightly reduce your WS damage when you aren't using Sanguine Blade. TP/WS split varies with food but I can't imagine us moving past 50:50, so the increased DPS of the OAT option does have value.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-16 21:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant it sill tps faster.
By sefalon 2010-09-17 10:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

This has been something I have had trouble understanding myself. When I play blue I do not concern myself with obtaining TP as much as getting the most str/dex mods possible. I am always 100tp when Chain Affin is up.

I have 2 str 8 swords and I am a elvaan and so having 16 more str than others with Antea/perdu or other combinations has allowed me to put up silly numbers.

also my avg WS are 200-300 more than theres as well so the extra hits they get in over time still will not put them anywhere near my damage output.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-17 10:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more about getting more ws inbetween chain affinities. And as a taru hitting 1k sanguine blades is pretty easy
By sefalon 2010-09-17 11:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well we are on the same server so if you would like to run a parse we can . And I am not saying that to challenge you at all. If a OAT sword far out ways having the str swords than I would really like to know so that I can become a better player. One thing that i have noticed is that there is not any gear that is out there for blue that puts someone into a diff category of damage.. Most blue wear the same types of gear and it seems that the weapons are one area where you can have a advantage above others.

I can see if you were in a xp party where you would like to conserve MP and skill up omong others where a OAT would be a better option.

At this point in FFXI where xp comes in the way of Abyss and where MP is less of a issue, I want to put up crazy numbers

Doing 9-10k damage in one Chain Affinity is why I play this job.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-17 11:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda depends on the situation. Like in abyssea it's possible to get like 35 refresh lol. At which point boosting spell dmg far outweights melee/ws especially with how long the mobs last.

And I'm still 80 /cry

Then again I kinda want to make a tank build (as I pretty much tank anyways in abyssea) so something like sanguine blade is a god send espeically with horrible healers I've been getting
By sefalon 2010-09-17 11:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

cant argue with you there.. I did 80 to 85 as the tank not too bad
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-17 11:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it 75-80 but I didn't have battery charge before and no refresher and like 1 healer in the whole allaince... it was icky to say the least lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-09-17 11:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

With Sanguine Blade being able to do such decent damage (I actually fear for what it can churn out next update if we get even MORE nuke gear) isn't over TPing no longer a problem?
By sefalon 2010-09-17 13:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well like i said myself I like to cast.. Sword damage is a bonus and I use it for CA and skill chains.. The new spells we got are plain nasty..Even bad blue mages are doing 1300 gob rush on consistent bases. Infact I would almost rather have the WS sword for 10 percent damage on all ws over a OAT at this point.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-17 13:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not have both? I think I will lol
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-09-17 13:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
You aren't soloing the higher dmg version so that one was obvious choice for me. 10 ruthven nails 30 drops from abyssea nms... 9k resistance credits at a time when peoples abyssea time is of the upmost of importance.

I'd almost reccomend the +10% ws dmg one too. Given how good we can tp now and how good we can ws. Even if its a mob that you can't vorpal well you can do great sanguine blades now. Has nice dps on it and is rather fast and easy to do.
Blu can solo Ruthven, Mangy Marvin and Keesha Poppo, but I definitely agree with you on the importance of abyssea time.

I'm at a bit of a loss with the +10% ws dmg sword, I'm finishing mine because I'm not that far off it anyway (well, 100 more beast ws's then the last trial), but I think the STR shamshir+1 will be much better. 1 higher base damage, 8 STR and 18 attack will do a hell of a lot for all ws's, not 10% more, but still a lot. Tp phase though, the STR shamshir will far surpass the Machaera +1, and the 22 attack (18+4 from 8 STR) will also contribute to your off-hand sword too. If that's an OAT sword, well that's 40% more hits in your off-hand with that extra attack, and if it's another STR shamshir? That's +44 attack for each hit. Then of course you have the +8-16 STR for spells, which neither khanda or machaera improve at all.

On the other hand, I actually do think the DEX sword is a good idea. With 352 sword skill, 100+ DEX, ~25 acc in gear and sushi, there are still plenty of abyssea camps where my multi hit spells are sucking due to accuracy.
sefalon said:
Doing 9-10k damage in one Chain Affinity is why I play this job.
POIDH. My max is almost 10k, but that was on Sim (who's about level 60? and takes extra piercing damage) and using 2-hour. In any abyssea party, my absolute max SC is probably ~6k damage, average though on the right mobs is more like 3.5-5k

This is not to say I disagree with your logic and reasoning. In abyssea, even with double attack set and an OAT sword, I can cast so many spells that I barely have 100tp by the time Chain Affinity rolls around, and still be sitting on 75% MP without even casting battery charge. (I pretty much only use it in abyssea when I get below ~30% MP) This rate of fire obviously sways the ratio between melee damage and spell damage.

I think judging by how things are now, I'll be going for just one 8STR sword, finish my Khanda (need heaps more pamamas, but no traverser stones to get them), and concentrate on AF+1 head/legs. I do actually plan on casting in AF+1 head (unless aias bonnet is actually attainable), because it's just such a ridiculous amount of accuracy.
By sefalon 2010-09-17 14:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Efflux > ca > savage blade > q. Contin. On a mandy in abyss.. I have seen others do same kind of damage so its not just me. But I will get a screen shot since pictures are worth a thousand words. On a regualar basis. 900 2400 1700 so 5 to 6k is the norm
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-17 17:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
With Sanguine Blade being able to do such decent damage (I actually fear for what it can churn out next update if we get even MORE nuke gear) isn't over TPing no longer a problem?
It'll still happen for one reason or another. Mob is close to death (wasted damage), CA is up within ~10 seconds so you get another round or two in, etc. Not too much, but it's there.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-17 18:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been seeing more abyssea nm items for trials in bazaars in jueno now. A friend of mine is almost done with his OAT khanda largely from that.

But yeah abyssea is kinda an exception. The amount of mp recovery you can and likely will have in there is rediculous.
 Leviathan.Anbu
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-09-17 22:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:

Blu can solo Ruthven, Mangy Marvin and Keesha Poppo, but I definitely agree with you on the importance of abyssea time.

Explain how this is possible on Blu please...I seen Rng solo LR and based on that I'm almost sure Cor can solo him but Blu idk I'd love to hear how u solo this guy lol
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-09-18 03:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Very slowly with cannonball. I haven't actually soloed him, but I've duo'd him with a rdm who was doing nothing but bio II, and it took just under an hour. You have 2 hours before he'll depop. Using the same pinning spot, so you can damn near stop him from tp'ing at all once you get the hang of it, and then you can force him to tp when it suits you and run out of range or face away. It'll be a tiny bit harder due to the battery charge gimp, but without casting haste on yourself, and keeping up just battery charge, utsu and cocoon, your MP will only just go down with using cannonball as often as possible. Add in some MP restore items to make it a little faster. Now at level 80, Benthic Typhoon would probably be manageable if you force him to tp at the right time and use the pinning well, which would also increase your cannonball damage. Again, forcing him to tp at the right time you could even land disseverment of Rape Continuum, but he's immune to poison and disseverment never seemed to do much when I tried it, so I didn't bother.

Mangy Marvin is stupidly easy, there are several walls (near the birds) that can be used for pinning, one in particular is stupidly easy to keep him off you. Wild carrot is a pain, but when you're only hitting him with cannonball and regurgitation, his tp gain isn't particularly high, so it's manageable. Brooder can be killed in the exact same place. You can also land disseverment for poison on both of these mobs if you use the pinning spot and shadows effectively, but be careful with brooder as he has enplague which will sap your MP and slow things down.

Keesha Poppo is exactly the same as marvin, just a different pinning spot.

Das, I wish Keesha's Pamamas were available in bazaars, I've seen very very few, and all for stupid prices like 500k a piece. 100k each I'd probably even buy them just to save my stones since I'd rather be concentrating on AF+1 right now. Seen heaps of Marvin's Pelages, but I had my 10 of those before I even had my 10 Ruthven's Nails.

Sefalon, I'm not going to argue with you about 5-6k SC. It's the 9-10k SC I find hard to believe.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-18 03:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Dang. My blu friend says he bought all his pamamas and pelages for 10-30k each. Oh well not as bad as trying to buy Carbosse Gems... and needing 50
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2010-09-19 10:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

*** hell. I'd kill to know someone on my server selling panamas for that price. -_-
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-19 10:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:

how does a blu solo keesha? I can't even manage to solo her on pup cuz she keeps hoppin the damn wall I use... I want the damn necklace, I have 85 pup and 85 blu lol
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-09-19 10:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:

how does a blu solo keesha? I can't even manage to solo her on pup cuz she keeps hoppin the damn wall I use... I want the damn necklace, I have 85 pup and 85 blu lol
Some obscure (joke) pinning spot by where it spawns, Disseverment DoT.
edit: also, Bio2 must have really helped counter Lord Ruth's regen.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-19 10:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to pin her on a wall with pup, but she hops the wall occasionally ><
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-09-19 12:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a couple trees near the lakes where Nahn pops that you can pin her. It's a little different to the usual pins because you have to run a little further each way, it's actually kind like two pin spots right on top of each other. Once you work out the exact two spots to stand though, it's really quite easy.

And yes, bio II would have helped for his regen, but it's only 7k an hour damage from bio II. So considering the fight takes ~an hour like this, after one hour solo without bio II, I'd only be down 7k damage. At this point I've still got another hour before he depops to make up for it, and if it takes me the whole hour it's still only 14k damage I have to make up in that hour.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2010-09-20 16:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd never heard of or seen Ruthven regen. To my knowledge, his only form of recovery is that stupid *** kiss and stealing regen from people that have it.