Forum » FFXI » General » NM stories
NM stories
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2009-01-24 05:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking for other hardcore NM campers. In the past 3 years I've camped well over 500 NMs ranging from Swamfisk to Charby more recently and I was wondering how many others enjoy camping as much as I do. Not just getting the drop of an item but actually claiming a mob that spawns once every (x) amount of hours. Would also like to hear of best drop/funniest/worst story if you don't mind sharing and your most sought after NM.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-24 07:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I was farming meats in the Labyrinth, and wouldn't you know it? Mysticmaker pop'd, nobody was around it, and I didn't have my moldy yet.

So, I did what anybody would do, I fought it.

Halfway in the battle, this RDM comes up, starts cussing me out, and tells me that I don't need it (I was WAR at the time) and that I was being a *** for taking his NM (he was nowhere to be found, and I was there for about an hour before Mystic pop'd.

He then tries to steal my kill by constant curing me (to take hate so he could run away and take it when it is yellow). So, being a WAR (50% of its health was down, I had close to 300% TP, and my 2hr was up) I did what anyone in that situation would have done, I JA all my abilities (Warrior's Charge included), 2hr'd, Mystic just turned and went after the RDM, which caused the 2 other gobbies to link to the RDM, but I voked, got hate back, pop'd a Steel Cyclone (after I voked, Mystic went Manafont), killed Mystic with Steel Cyclone while the RDM had 2 gobbies to deal with now.

Thats how I got my Moldy btw. I would have just straight killed the NM with my SC, but he turned just after I 2hr'd, and I knew better than to pop SC with a moving target, and it was the RDM's fault that he got link'd.

After he killed the 2 gobbies that linked to him, he started cussing me out, said he called a GM on me, and then said <Blacklist> <Good bye.> and ran away lol.

After that, I laughed about it on shell, went to continue killing birdies for meats, and started leveling BLM the next day.
 Ramuh.Guffy
Server: Ramuh
user: Guffy
By Ramuh.Guffy 2009-01-24 08:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

My very first NM, Leaping Lizzy. I was like level 23 WHM, and didn't really know much at all about the game, it was my first job. My brother was like, dude a lizard NM spawns there, if you see it, hit it with dia all quick like. So I was like, oh yeah.. ok, what is an NM? And he is like dude dia! dia! And so I dia the nearest Lizard. It was leaping lizzy, it was a really hard fight for me, and took like all my MP. When he died, I got the leaping boots! I went straight to bastok AH and sold them for like 50K, finding out later that Jeuno AH would have given me like 250k or something along those lines. I don't remember exact prices and everything, it was back in 2001 or 2002, sometime shortly after PS2 release in NA.

I am now an avid NM hunter like yourself, it is one of my passions in the game.
 Shiva.Phioness
Server: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-01-24 11:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay not playing but gotta put something on this. Was in La Theine Plateau and knew Bloodtear Baldurf was due to pop. Lvl 65 thf/rng.... some wicked evasion gear (including scorpion harness+1) bloody bolts, food for attack and resist petrify, some potions and refresh food.... BB pops, I pull the ***, proceed to hit him with blind bolts, acid bolts, ate food, refresh drink, then just start whacking away .... Then the knobslobber uses great bleat and I have max life of about 260 ... now i'm about to crap my pants... he proceeds to knock me down to 28 HP after using Rage. I pop a potion, spam bloody bolts like crazy, and use 2 hr. I keep blind bolts on him and he misses most of the time.... After many DE and prayers to the NM gods I come out victorious. I let out a yell and got my Viking shield (1/5 on both rams) ... most intense NM fight of my Life.
Oh and another story, just short, 2/3 on Argus with Derekz helping me kill 2nd time Peacock charm... not amulet ... back when it sold for around 20 mil (Thanks to Generalramuh for Tod =^.~=). I screamed so loud with my 1st drop my roomates jumped up scared shitless... 1/5 since change to amulet (stingy fook) 137 different NM killed I don't count Quest/mission/dynamus/limbus/instances/etc
 Carbuncle.Skyshadow
Server: Carbuncle
user: Skyshadow
By Carbuncle.Skyshadow 2009-01-24 15:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I know my Worst story easy. Was camping Vali's Bow with a friend, we headed there for a good 6 hours because we saw a few people in zone. We met our friend while camping, he was aswell. So after 6 hours no pop me and my friend just pass out and leave our chars there. I took my filters off so I could see what happens while we were gone. Well this so called friend popped ES, and dragged him away from us so we couldnt see in log, then said he didnt know what happend when we got back. Not sure why I didnt get anything in my log about it, but thats what happend. so we come back after a nap or w/e (think I had 4 hours sleep) and continue to camp, for like another 6-8 hours with no pop -_-. We ended up leaving empty handed that night with no sign of him. Was probably my worse day in ffxi lol =\.
 Seraph.Jacaut
Server: Seraph
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2009-01-24 16:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

heheheh Was setting up for Kreutzet after maintenance. Decided hey ill wait for first weather and see if it pops before bed. well 3 and a half hours later(shoulda been sleeping lol) weather popped and there he is~ well i had duo'd it but never solo'd so i was all excited and ready to kick some arse. . . was going good till about 75% and my dogs woke my fiance up. she wasnt happy i was still up but rolled over but then the dogs kept whining and wouldnt let her go back to sleep cause they wanted outside(i was concentrating and didnt realise they were whining lol), so shes telling me to take them out, they hear "out" and start whining more and jumping all about and through all this commotion i get side tracked of course @ about 70% and while im converting i miss my utsu NI macro due to a wrong macro set and i get raped in 3 hits >.< was not very happy ......... this was a few months ago lol. its entertaining when i think about it now.
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
Server: Lakshmi
user: Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2009-01-25 01:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, the S. Kukri is on my list of NMs, I'm sure I probably won't get it for a few months too many other things to do in the meantime. Vali's bow is a pain no matter what you do, I spent 2 weeks straight in Fei yin with my records being 2/15 on CCs and 1/1 on Vbow. I help a Japanese player get retaliators and he carries my name in his bazaar comment ever since. Bloodtear I think killed my 60thf/nin fairly quick but I was just fighting him just to say I went up against the beast. My worst NM was the carect ring NM, can't think of his name atm, I've had a few drinks but I remember camping for 32+ hours straight and never saw him so I gave up, I come back a month later on a random boat ride just to kill time and he pops out of the blue and I get my drop. Current record is 2/3 with him. Don't really have an NM story that I'm really proud of, I've put my time in with each NM I've camped, helped a dozen people get there emp. hairpins as well as spent 60+ hours on vilma's ring and two weeks with the shadows for CCs and V.bow, The only real NM I'm missing is Argus, just can't bring myself to spend a huge amount of time camping him. My current goal is maat's cap and that's what I'm working on, one day I'll return to my camping and claim that elusive PCA but until then post your stories on the NMs you've seen.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [78 days between previous and next post]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-04-13 07:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hurray for necro bumps!
 Garuda.Kael
user: Kael
By Garuda.Kael 2009-04-13 12:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Hurray for necro bumps!

RAWR I'll necro bump you! :3
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-13 12:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Does trying to farm Enfire II in Fei'Yin count? 35 *** people in that mother yesterday...most I've ever seen in that zone in my life lol
 Garuda.Kael
By Garuda.Kael 2009-04-13 12:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Does trying to farm Enfire II in Fei'Yin count? 35 *** people in that mother yesterday...most I've ever seen in that zone in my life lol

Didn't you hear? Regular mobs are the new NMs bro. :P
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-13 12:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Kael said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:

Ya, apparently lol. I'm hoping the ACP Orc camping has gone down some in Jugner, I wanna get that ***banged out FFS >.<
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-13 12:59:17
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Kael said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:

Ya, apparently lol. I'm hoping the ACP Orc camping has gone down some in Jugner, I wanna get that ***banged out FFS >.<

omg your new avatars pwns hardcore +2

for the ACP shiz im waiting 3weeks or 1month....im not in the mood to be waring over mobs now....all I can say is that 1st people to have this armor are the doods who refuse to /tell me what I needed keel when I was sending /tells or /shouting in Jugner forest and etc area...

how rude I know >< ill just mpk more people in camp thats all
 Garuda.Kael
By Garuda.Kael 2009-04-13 13:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Jugner did seem to be the worst of the three camps for the first ACP mission. It gets a bit better after that one, at least, until you have to go kill Goblins in the zones surrounding Jeuno. :P
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-13 13:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:

for the ACP shiz im waiting 3weeks or 1month....im not in the mood to be waring over mobs now....all I can say is that 1st to have this armor are the doods who refuse to /tell me what I needed keel when I was sending /tells or /shouting in Jugner forest and etc area...

Thanks! As for the ACP ***, I feel ya. I was asking a few peeps on day one, and got the cold shoulder from everyone I asked, cause lord knows competing with 47 people instead of 46 woulda made all the difference in the world, right?

I made up for it though, by telling everyone I could what they needed to kill. *** em...
 Garuda.Kael
By Garuda.Kael 2009-04-13 13:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, at least there's a good guide on the wiki now :)
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-13 13:11:04
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Thunderz said:

for the ACP shiz im waiting 3weeks or 1month....im not in the mood to be waring over mobs now....all I can say is that 1st to have this armor are the doods who refuse to /tell me what I needed keel when I was sending /tells or /shouting in Jugner forest and etc area...

Thanks! As for the ACP ***, I feel ya. I was asking a few peeps on day one, and got the cold shoulder from everyone I asked, cause lord knows competing with 47 people instead of 46 woulda made all the difference in the world, right?

I made up for it though, by telling everyone I could what they needed to kill. *** em...

lol yeah =o I still have NO idea what to pick for the dang body....
I have SAM+NIN+BRD >.> which would needs it more...we shall find out!! o.o ill prolly mess up and /cry over it tho
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-13 13:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Kael said:

LOL ya...day one ***' sucked! I've never been good at figuring out ***with the quests and missions in this game >.<

inb4 "it's perfectly obvious nub ur dumb" ^^

Thunderz said:
I still have NO idea what to pick for the dang body....
I have SAM+NIN+BRD >.> which would needs it more...we shall find out!! o.o ill prolly mess up and /cry over it tho

I'm prolly gonna go with DNC piece, throw on either ACC+10 or ATTK+10 (haven't decided yet, I'm torn lol) and Store TP/Subtle Blow augments. If I ever get my hands on Enkidu's Harness I might have to re-quest for something different though, but that'll be WAY down the line, if ever...
 Garuda.Kael
By Garuda.Kael 2009-04-13 13:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Kael said:

LOL ya...day one ***' sucked! I've never been good at figuring out ***with the quests and missions in this game >.<

inb4 "it's perfectly obvious nub ur dumb" ^^

Thunderz said:
I still have NO idea what to pick for the dang body....

I'm prolly gonna go with DNC piece, throw on either ACC+10 or ATTK+10 (haven't decided yet, I'm torn lol) and Store TP/Subtle Blow augments. If I ever get my hands on Enkidu's Harness I might have to re-quest for something different though, but that'll be WAY down the line, if ever...

Yeah, that'd be pretty nice for dnc :) I might have done the same for cor, but I have my enkidu's harness already :P Looks like I'll be getting a Morragain's -1 until I start doing salvage. xD