DRG = Pet Job?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG = Pet job?
DRG = Pet job?
 Leviathan.Gotterdammerung
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Gotterdammerung 2010-10-27 01:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Drg is a pet job because they have a pet.

But they dont usually have a place in a pet shell because they just dont fit into the strategy.

If u really wanted to be a dragoon in a pet shell im shure u could do it. You would just prolly die a lot or be put in the cor party so the smns and pups would get more MAB and Macc from drachen roll. All in all you would be a glorified cheerleader because u just dont fit into the strategy of a pet burn.

Personally in my linkshell i wont turn away a dragoon who is a wyvern freak. But i warn them ahed of time that there not gonna have much of a place in events.
 Cerberus.Leoxtribal
Server: Cerberus
user: Nixvalley
By Cerberus.Leoxtribal 2010-10-27 01:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

This is debatable.
Drg Has a wyvern, which indeed is a pet. Drg however does not have the ability to give direct... orders i guess to its pet.

-Edit-
Now, if you were to ask me personally, i'd say Yes, it is a job with a pet, but it is not a "pet job"
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-27 01:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont think there is really any debate...yes its a pet job..but the pet doesn't do ***but engage or heal lol. they dont do much is the problem. need your TP to offensively breath or need you to cast a spell to trigger healing breaths. smns are much stronger, as are bst, as are pups as far as their pet goes
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-27 01:44:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I think tarus should be allowed to ride on their dragons. It makes perfect sense.

[+]
 Cerberus.Leoxtribal
Server: Cerberus
user: Nixvalley
By Cerberus.Leoxtribal 2010-10-27 01:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
I think tarus should be allowed to ride on their dragons. It makes perfect sense.

Indeed it does. I say SE should give tarus that and give every other race the ability to punt tarus :D Fair deal right?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Miraun
Server: Phoenix
user: Miraun
By Phoenix.Miraun 2010-10-27 06:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So... what color is adaburk?
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2010-10-27 07:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG is not a pet job. It just has a permanent enwyvern effect.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-27 07:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said:

Not as permanent as liked against certain AoE mobs!

I'd say DRG isn't a pet job despite having a "pet", as the fundamental mechanics of the job are entirely different, and the strategies you can use it with.

EDIT: to be more specific, if you're looking for a pedantic definition then DRG is a pet job. If you're looking for a useful definition, it is not.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-27 07:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:
Not as permanent as liked against certain AoE mobs! I'd say DRG isn't a pet job despite having a "pet", as the fundamental mechanics of the job are entirely different, and the strategies you can use it with. EDIT: to be more specific, if you're looking for a pedantic definition then DRG is a pet job. If you're looking for a useful definition, it is not.

Healing 400 with 6mp is pretty usefull >_>
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-27 07:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Two scenarios (correct me if I'm wrong, I never pet burn anything);

1. Melee => can heal sure, but Wyvern is likely to be in full AoE range and hence taking a lot of damage. If you are not going heavy petburn, would be more efficient just to take a dedicated healer.

2. Kiting => idea of pet jobs is that you don't take damage => why bring a DRG when you can bring a SMN or BST/magesub who can sustain themselves and deal damage in this event?

Wyvern can't heal pets either, I am fairly sure.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-27 07:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Two scenarios (correct me if I'm wrong, I never pet burn anything); 1. Melee => can heal sure, but Wyvern is likely to be in full AoE range and hence taking a lot of damage. If you are not going heavy petburn, would be more efficient just to take a dedicated healer. 2. Kiting => idea of pet jobs is that you don't take damage => why bring a DRG when you can bring a SMN or BST/magesub who can sustain themselves and deal damage in this event? Wyvern can't heal pets either, I am fairly sure.

Meh, Drg still best dd pet job in game >_<
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-27 07:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh agreed, in terms of pure melee capabilities it's easily top tier in my opinion. I just don't think it fits into the category of pet jobs as far as battle/tactical mechanics goes.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-10-27 08:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

dark knight haves tons of useful mage spells does it make it a hybrid mage job ?????????
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-27 08:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Oh agreed, in terms of pure melee capabilities it's easily top tier in my opinion. I just don't think it fits into the category of pet jobs as far as battle/tactical mechanics goes.
I say drg solo gets by, but not as good as pup bst smn solo
i still like healing myself and others around 400 with just 6mp, but they need to add more ways to cure wyvern, or lower recast timer for pet recast

The thing i wish they would change the most is prolly something like choosing between a dif kinda wyvern, lil tiny blue dragon gets boring
, would love to have a wyvern like that *** drg npc in campaign battle, anyways going to bed
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-27 08:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG solo is like any other DD solo, except you have greater healing potential. It's completely unlike pet job solo which involves lots of kiting and keeping the enemy at arm's length using your pet; some targets DRG will do better than another pet job, and some it will do worse. This is another reason why I don't consider it a pet job for purposes of functionality; they are just so different!
 Asura.Rinkydink
Server: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-10-27 08:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

lol <3 this..

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
DRG solo is like any other DD solo, except you have greater healing potential. It's completely unlike pet job solo which involves lots of kiting and keeping the enemy at arm's length using your pet; some targets DRG will do better than another pet job, and some it will do worse. This is another reason why I don't consider it a pet job for purposes of functionality; they are just so different!

i cannot TELL you how many times ive been saved because my wyvern decided to be a PLD and tank mobs.

and agree

YES its a pet job because end of day its the drg and wyvern cumulative aka dmg wise.

BUT its nto a "pet ls" job.. why?

because end of day most are sic pet owners sit back and relax just heal the pets or w/e and let pet do the work.. drg cant do this.. they just have their "pet" to enhance the job they're doing
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-10-27 09:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bst, Pup, and Smn are PET JOBS

Drg is a JOB with a PET

there's the difference
[+]
 Sylph.Anuu
Server: Sylph
user: Anuu
By Sylph.Anuu 2010-10-27 14:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Meowryu said:

But anyways, imo DRG is a pet job. It's a job, with a pet. The most you notice the wyvern is when a drg is soloing drg/mage and that wyvern is keeping his *** alive like no tomorrow.

yes, lmao, i'm a taru and i solo quite often. i've been in many situations where all i can do is spam the ***out of head butt
[+]
 Sylph.Anuu
By Sylph.Anuu 2010-10-27 14:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2010-10-27 14:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:
Not as permanent as liked against certain AoE mobs! I'd say DRG isn't a pet job despite having a "pet", as the fundamental mechanics of the job are entirely different, and the strategies you can use it with. EDIT: to be more specific, if you're looking for a pedantic definition then DRG is a pet job. If you're looking for a useful definition, it is not.

Healing 400 with 6mp is pretty usefull >_>

only 400 hp? thats pretty weak

Once my wyvern levels up, I generally get into the upper 500s and low 600s. I can also break 1k with Deep Breathing.
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2010-10-27 15:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If you use an item that is designed to remove a status effect from a pet and it works on a Wyvern then yes its a pet job, pretty simple really.
[+]
 Phoenix.Haltro
user: Haltro
By Phoenix.Haltro 2010-10-27 15:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG is to pet job as DRK is to mage.

It has a pet, yes, but that argument is just splitting hairs. "Pet job" refers to SMN, PUP, and BST; jobs that focus primarily on the pet.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-10-27 15:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG is a LOL job with a flying lizard as a "pet"...
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-27 15:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
DRG is a LOL job with a flying lizard as a "pet"...
Says the lolmnk!
[+]
 Titan.Lillica
Server: Titan
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-10-27 15:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Does "Increases pet ____" affect wyverns?
 Sylph.Anuu
By Sylph.Anuu 2010-10-27 16:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Lillica said:
you mean like on armor or weapons? no it doesn't, if it's made for a wyvern it says "Increases wyvern ______"
 Titan.Lillica
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-10-27 16:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Well for example Aega's Doublet. Has pet ACC on it and DRG can wear it, so no effect on wyverns? Then I would say it is not a pet.
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-10-27 16:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Anuu said:
Titan.Lillica said:
you mean like on armor or weapons? no it doesn't, if it's made for a wyvern it says "Increases wyvern ______"

You sure... Stuff like the Aega's Doublet works for PUP BST and SMN so I don't see why it wouldn't work for Dragoon.

Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-10-27 16:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea i dont think thats right either, the DRG magian polearms all have a pet: +xx path