Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Strength build
Strength build
 Cerberus.Sey
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2010-08-21 08:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my current Chain Affinity/spell casting STR set.
Comes out to be with spells added (64+65). So my question of the day is, is there a STR cap where too much +STR means nothing?

The Anwig Salade have the STR+4 DEX+4 augment and the Shamshir is the Mag acc+12 ( yes lol at it =P )
 Cerberus.Hiryo
user: Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-08-21 08:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Why a Loq earring in DD set?
Edit: I have about the same amount of STR in my non HB casting set as well, I know *** all about the STR caps etc, think it's like 120? So will be interesting to hear
[+]
 Cerberus.Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2010-08-21 08:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering about the 120 also. I'm looking to see if I can increase STR all around and get away with wearing Mavi Scarf and Symbios Gloves without risking anything.

As for the Loq. earring, I do have Brutal I can swap in but I don't have the chips to go buy the STR +2 earring to wear in that slot.
 Cerberus.Hiryo
user: Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-08-21 09:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh you got it? I wanna get that damn scarf, but if you are capped on str, can't go wrong with a bit of acc in your casting set or throw in some more dex!

Yeah I guess loc is alot better than brutals to cast in!
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-08-21 09:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

if your magic is modified by str, i don't think there is a cap. (i'm no blu here)

There is no cap for ws mods, why would there be on magic? That is not to say that you should not have varying acc sets for different scenarios.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Chazzyphizzle 2010-08-21 09:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

almost certain there is no known str cap of any kind on blue magic.
 Cerberus.Excelior
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-21 09:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a cap on STR; It's called Fstr. The cap would depend on what you fight because Fstr is a function of your strength vs mob vitality. For example you won't have capped Fstr with 120 STR on say a high level NM. The cap is also detirmined by your base weapon damage. I'm not sure what blu's base weapon damage is these days since its calculated by your blue magic skill.

Final D value =floor(D+fSTR+WSC) * Multiplier

Edit: You can still stack str and recieve benefit if Fstr is capped only if the WS/Spell has STR as a WSC.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-21 13:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Sey said:
Mavi Scarf and Symbios Gloves
***'s sake people, I really hate repeating myself. Don't *** use them for physical spells.

WSC does not cap. fSTR caps, but the cap for Blue Magic is so ridiculously high (was 22 at 75, 23 at 80) that even the best build won't cap on anything that matters. 23 fSTR means you need 88 more STR than the mob's VIT before adding STR doesn't add more fSTR, and even if you did cap fSTR on anything the spells you'd use such a build on all have STR mods so you'd still use STR gear in those slots.

RE: earrings: minuet earring, they're like 20k these days.
[+]
 Caitsith.Jar
Server: Caitsith
user: Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-08-21 13:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fstr for blue magic caps at crazy high amounts, and spells modded with STR have no cap. ~ beat

oh also for physical magic

Blue magic ATT is (bluemagic skill + STR/2 + 8)
 Cerberus.Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2010-08-22 05:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
***'s sake people, I really hate repeating myself. Don't *** use them for physical spells.

There's not a chance in hell that I would not try to pick these items up when givin the chance to get. lol I am not noobing it up by using them in my spell casting, so far I only marco them in my /bst and my 2nd /nin where I need to slow, blind, silence cuz I'm solo. My 1st /nin set is full of DD spells cause I most likely won't be debuffing anyway.
I have search wiki, alla & ffxiah forums and didn't see a post about STR cap and thought I'll read opinions.

That being said, I post this with the intention that I'll see your reply as well as Dasva and such. Hell everything seems to have a cap ( BLM & SCHs talk about INT cap, Haste cap, even PLDs with the Physical Damage Taken cap. ) Just was raising an honest question.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-22 06:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Atually int doesn't cap on nukes. It is dint. But kinda like fstr on blu physical spells it's hard to hit. Actually it's even harder you pretty much have to nuke mobs that are a good 40 lvls lower than you and/or use a full int build. While a well really geared blu merited can hit fstr caps on non HNMs and such. Though part of that might be the lack of info on dint caps and the point where it becomes half as effective and the fact that going all out on int is kinda dumb on nukes anyways.

I don't believe we've found any caps on wsc. I've hit 160 str in nzyle and still saw increases in dmg when adding more str.

So who knows maybe there is a cap on wsc but I doubt it's lower than 200. Actually given how much you get in the final ASA fight I doubt it's under 300 lol.

As far as gearing for all out of stat... http://myffxigear.kicks-***.org/ works good as long as you use common sense
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-22 06:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Sey said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

There's not a chance in hell that I would not try to pick these items up when givin the chance to get. lol I am not noobing it up by using them in my spell casting, so far I only marco them in my /bst and my 2nd /nin where I need to slow, blind, silence cuz I'm solo. My 1st /nin set is full of DD spells cause I most likely won't be debuffing anyway.
I have search wiki, alla & ffxiah forums and didn't see a post about STR cap and thought I'll read opinions.

That being said, I post this with the intention that I'll see your reply as well as Dasva and such. Hell everything seems to have a cap ( BLM & SCHs talk about INT cap, Haste cap, even PLDs with the Physical Damage Taken cap. ) Just was raising an honest question.
If there was such a cap (beyond fSTR obviously) I would have brought it up as a threshold in previous posts because it would have major implications for the value of each piece. In fact, it could have been sidegradeish from other options if fSTR was at all easy to cap on spells... but it's not. Perfect multihit sets barely cap fSTR on Greater Colibri (obviously a perfect SA singlehit set would have higher STR but it's used on sturdier targets) now (and even then you have to be Elvaan with STR merits), let alone when colibri were relevant, and colibri have unusually low VIT to begin with (E rank VIT on RDM/RDM mobs). You're not capping fSTR on new EXP mobs, let alone anything that matters; if there's a cap on WSC we've yet to reach it in optimal builds, much less ones that hit 120 STR.

As for their utility in other sets, I'll agree with you on Mavi Scarf as it's our best debuff neck but Symbios Gloves flat out are not worth the effort to get. Teal Cuffs give the same macc and you're well past relevant skill->potency caps for drain and aspir spells either way. Morrigan's Cuffs also provide 5 macc. You'll never see me with a pair unless they literally fall in my lap, and given that Irrlicht is completely worthless that's not happening.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-22 07:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Enkidu legs
By fruitytooty 2010-09-04 16:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What i use for a STR build is..2 Shamshir STR+6
AF+1 body Triumph earringsx2 Smilodine+1 Raja's and Flame ring Ire torque Warwolf belt,Alky bracelets,Enkidu's legs
and Creek M feet

for a build i get +93 STR

with Verticle cleave average dmg goes around 1.9K~2.3K
without help doing CASA

if that helps if your looking for a build...and do NOT use Symbios and Mavi scarf from all I've tested,Symbios is only a peice to mod your Metalic Body(1/2 your Blue magic skill)
and Mavi scarf is just for meleing...all blue magic does it
increase the Acc of your spells and on a side note
....MACC is useless for blu,dont bother with the shitty MACC Shamshir unless if you REALLY need MP,MACC to a BLU is like giving a BRD STR

Leviathan.Dissonant
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-04 17:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Macc sword really is terrible. It is helpful for landing the stun effect of head butt, but that's it. You don't use BLUs to stun anything that is important enough to need macc, so it's a bad choice all around. You would benefit far more from a strength or dexterity magian sword. On topic, as people have said, there is no known STR cap for blue magic spells.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-04 17:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

fruitytooty said:
Metalic Body
You'll hit the hard cap for this naked.
Quote:
Mavi scarf is just for meleing...
lolwut?
Quote:
all blue magic does it increase the Acc of your spells
No. http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Calculating_Blue_Magic_Damage

Melee acc increases physical spell accuracy, for what it's worth. If there's evidence that an increase of 4 Blue Magic skill has a significant impact on acc beyond that I would love to see it.

Not necessarily advocating Mavi's use in a physical build (even when it does break a skill tier), but still.
Quote:
MACC is useless for blu,dont bother with the shitty MACC Shamshir unless if you REALLY need MP,MACC to a BLU is like giving a BRD STR
What are debuffs? I'm against wasting one's time on a macc Shamshir as well but flat-out saying macc is worthless for BLU is idiotic.