Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Trials Swords for INT set Building
Trials Swords for INT set Building
 Ragnarok.Gekuz
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Gekuz
By Ragnarok.Gekuz 2010-08-12 06:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello guys, yesterday i was thinking about: how can I improve my INT set... after i while and some test a strange idea came out... how powerfull will be my Regurgitation/Firespit or whatever, if i switch the elemental staves into 2 swords for a total of +12 INT and MAB +16...

i've done some test just out of jeuno with some tabar beak, since they are war-type mob so theyr magic defence is preaty weak. Switching in and out some kind of equip like the Teal Saio and the Ixion Cloack, using for the same spell both the elemental staf and the aquilo's staf (for the INT boost, i've reached the conclusion that the 2 trial of magian swords should be stronger than the HQ staves + any kind of grip...

Anyone can confirm my theory?
By Untamedheart 2010-08-12 07:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Calculating_Magic_Damage

Following the formula from wiki we have:

D * Resist * Staff * Bonuses * MAB/MDB * MDT of Monster

It is easy to see that the 1.15 staff bonus would be trumped by the +0.16 MAB portion of the equation. Furthermore, 12 int from the swords would trump 6 mnd and 1 int from neptune's and bugard strap +1. In terms of max damage yes the swords would come out better.

The only thing that concerns me is that you would miss a great deal of macc if you choose to cast in dual swords and not an elemental staff. That could potentially swing overall effectiveness still in the staff's favor.
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-12 07:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

16 MAB will beat 15% increase in damage if you have less than 7 MAB in the rest of your set.

As the amount of MAB in your set increases, the percentage gain decreases.

I.E adding 16 MAB to a build that has 30 MAB already is only 12.3% increase.

So the only way to answer the question is with a specific set to work to.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-12 12:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Untamedheart said:
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Calculating_Magic_Damage

Following the formula from wiki we have:

D * Resist * Staff * Bonuses * MAB/MDB * MDT of Monster

It is easy to see that the 1.15 staff bonus would be trumped by the +0.16 MAB portion of the equation. Furthermore, 12 int from the swords would trump 6 mnd and 1 int from neptune's and bugard strap +1. In terms of max damage yes the swords would come out better.

The only thing that concerns me is that you would miss a great deal of macc if you choose to cast in dual swords and not an elemental staff. That could potentially swing overall effectiveness still in the staff's favor.
You're assuming they have no other MAB gear. You're right about the loss of macc though, and you'd have to set DW to use these as /RDM. There's also our non-INT spells to consider... So yeah, not worth it.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-17 13:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sanguine blade go?