Which pup frame to start with
First Page 2 3
 Ifrit.Furyan
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Naybag
By Ifrit.Furyan 2010-08-08 20:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i just started lvling pup and now i can choose a new frame i wasnt sure if i should pick sharpshot frame or stormwaker frame at lvl 10.

I read some forums and aparently sharpshot is the prefered frame to pick at lvl 10 as its the only frame you can skill ranged on. My problem is that there isnt many partys available untill 37 east ronfaure S partys. so i was thinking of getting stormwaker untill 30 then getting sharpshot and skill up ready for 37.

Could i get some advice please as im new to pup, Thanks in ad
[+]
 Bismarck.Touvan
Server: Bismarck
user: Touvan
By Bismarck.Touvan 2010-08-08 20:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't level lolpup.
[+]
 Ifrit.Furyan
user: Naybag
By Ifrit.Furyan 2010-08-08 20:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i was wondering how long it would take for a retard to post lolpup
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Draus 2010-08-08 21:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranger frame its harder to skill that frame @ higher levels
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-08-08 21:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If you start with Stormwaker, you'll have a tough time later trying to skill up Sharpshot. It's simple to skill up the auto's magic, since you'll usually be using Stormwaker later when you solo.

It's your choice, of course, but I'd go with Sharpshot at 10 if I were you.
[+]
 Asura.Baroma
Server: Asura
user: baroma
By Asura.Baroma 2010-08-08 21:51:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I did mage frame first then ranged at 30 as well.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kryptik
Server: Phoenix
user: phawk23
By Phoenix.Kryptik 2010-08-08 21:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

do Sharpshot lv10 Stormwaker lv20 Valoredge lv30 WHM-Head lv40 BLM-Head lv50 will def make being a PUP easier on you
 Bahamut.Anrete
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Anrete 2010-08-09 06:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people suggest going for the Sharpshot frame simply because it makes it easier to skill up for parties. However, if you know you're going to be a lot of solo/duo I would suggest going with the Stormwaker.

Whatever your choice you should try your best to keep your skills capped (if only because it is mind numbing to do them @75/80).

Party Only: Sharpshot > Stormwaker > Valoredge > Spiritreaver > Soulsoother
Solo/Duo: Stormwaker > Sharpshot > Valoredge > Soulsoother > Spiritreaver

This is my "personal" opinion.
[+]
 Bismarck.Gael
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2010-08-09 07:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

No doubt that sharpshot is the best PT frame you can have but at level 10, i will say you to use Valoredge (which is a good DD in fact) because your automaton will takes hate often, and you dont have oils until the level 15 so your automaton will die a lot (sharpshot dont have HP/evasion/def) and you will be a leech.

Stormwaker is not bad, but it is a bit too disobedient to count on it when you want to solo, so i will say you to wait to have Soulsoother Head and you will be the king :P

(Spiritreaver is very nice but before the level 75, you should not use it in pt)

So for me :

Valoredge > Sharpshot > Stormwaker > Soulsoother > Spiritreaver

[+]
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2010-08-09 08:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Touvan said:
Don't level lolpup.

/sigh.. another person who has no idea how to play the job..

Id say use the sharpshot frame since you get melee skillups too which are good for your valoredge. Magic skillups you can get solo either from yes.. soloing or by doing the skillup trick in beadeaux.

[+]
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Server: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2010-08-09 08:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I took the Valoredge first and regretted it because I was doing duo mostly. I ended up just using the Harlequin until I was able to take Stormwaker at 20. Yes, Sharpshot is better for parties, but how often do PUP get parties?

I don't think skilling up the Sharpshot is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be because you can sub PUP on any of your 75-80 jobs and tank for him (up to 37-40).

Take Valoredge last. It is the least useful frame at lower levels.
 Bismarck.Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2010-08-09 09:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Cymmina said:
but how often do PUP get parties

Full time lol and if you dont want to wait, creat your pt (or do like me : play in jp time and seek with a french tag, jp will invite you a lot xD)
You just need to buy enough oils when you go pt to save your automaton and to be a real DD.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xyclo
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xyclo
By Quetzalcoatl.Xyclo 2010-08-09 09:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, my best companion while soloing was the valoredge frame. I don't know how everyone 'regrets' not picking that one to begin with, but again, my experience with pup is different from everyone.
The best thing I liked about that frame was its survivability.

I didn't pick up any of the mage frames until 30+ (obviously whm and blm at 40 and 50 respectively).
 Lakshmi.Giti
Server: Lakshmi
user: giti
By Lakshmi.Giti 2010-08-09 09:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Rng frame at level 10 for sure if you don't you will want to shoot yourself later.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-09 10:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Shiva.Xellith said:
Bismarck.Touvan said:
Don't level lolpup.

/sigh.. another person who has no idea how to play the job..

Id say use the sharpshot frame since you get melee skillups too which are good for your valoredge. Magic skillups you can get solo either from yes.. soloing or by doing the skillup trick in beadeaux.

Look, you can not say they have no idea how to play the job then say the reason you get Sharpshot is because you can get archery and melee skill ups which are good for Valoredge. It has nothing to do with Valoredge in anyway, period.

Sharpshot is used in a party because it does the most damage out of any frame on anything thats weak to piercing damage. If you are using anything besides Sharpshot in a party you are doing it wrong or your pt sucks.

Half the information on this page is correct and half is wrong. Some posts are half correct and half incorrect. This is why every single thread you people get lolpup, at least from me.
Using Soulsoother in a party is ok if the healer needs help or sucks. Using Valoredge in a party might work if the tank fails or needs help.

edit: thats because you're an idiot
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sharkycan
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sharkycan
By Carbuncle.Sharkycan 2010-08-09 11:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The same could be said about your post spiceryan, as you are half correct as well. Sharpshot doesn't always do the most damage. Spiritreaver can out damage Sharpshot on most mobs with the right gear and attachments.

2nd you shouldn't play a game in absolutes. If someone wants to use a different frame because it is fun, so be it. If you think otherwise, your a douche. Your initial post shows that anyway.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-09 11:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sharkycan said:
The same could be said about your post spiceryan, as you are half correct as well. Sharpshot doesn't always do the most damage. Spiritreaver can out damage Sharpshot on most mobs with the right gear and attachments.

2nd you shouldn't play a game in absolutes. If someone wants to use a different frame because it is fun, so be it. If you think otherwise, your a douche. Your initial post shows that anyway.

It's your $12.95, but our $64.75.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sharkycan
By Carbuncle.Sharkycan 2010-08-09 11:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

A 2500 nuke followed by a 1250 nuke every ~1-1.5 min is hard to beat. If you know a sharpshot that can do better without taking hate and dieing now and then, please show me.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sharkycan
By Carbuncle.Sharkycan 2010-08-09 11:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You just answer with an insult without stating any facts. You don't seem to know much about the job. Why are you even reading pup forums with no other reason to be a douche?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Drekien
Server: Lakshmi
user: Drekien
By Lakshmi.Drekien 2010-08-09 12:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I got stormwaker first, probably the best imo for solo. I got Sharpshot at 20 and I'm 24 now.. it's a *** skilling up ranged so I see why people say to get it first, but as I see it I never get party invites anyway so I have to rely on solo more anyway; stormwaker helps a lot with that.
 Bismarck.Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2010-08-09 12:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys know that Valoredge is not a tank only ? it can be a very good DoT DD with the correct attachment, and not on kirin onry, on regular mobs too >_>
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sharkycan
By Carbuncle.Sharkycan 2010-08-09 12:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You can still give proof without needing to be on the same server. Typing in numbers is one way (eg approx damage from sharpshot of your "friend" in 1-1.5min on a certain mob type) But you claim you are right with nothing to back you up.

Of course it's true that a Sharpshot can out dd a Spiritreaver
on colibri and similar enemies. You said if you are in a party you should have Sharpshot frame. This is only half right, like you stated in a previous post. In a party vs Flans are you going to use a Sharpshot frame? Don't be a hypocrite.

Ifrit.Ineedmoney
By Ifrit.Ineedmoney 2010-08-09 12:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Go with sharpshot first it’s your best bet. Skilling up ranged is a *** I didn’t get mine till 30 and I spent many hours skilling it up at least with your normal frame you can still get magic skilll

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3