Is Evasion+ Gear Worthless??

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is Evasion+ gear worthless??
Is Evasion+ gear worthless??
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-07-16 12:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So I was talking with a Ninja today, we were on the subject of solo, because I was giving Ancient Goobbue a go on DNC. From what he was telling me, Evasion+ gear is only useful when your evasion skill isn't capped, and Evasion Skill+ maximizes the chance of evading. Is this true? If someone could clear things up, that would help me out tremendously.
By Raldo 2010-07-16 12:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

No, evasion gear still boosts your evasion even if your evasion skill is capped.

Evasion skill+ and evasion+ boost your evasion by roughly the same amount.

I don't dwell on numbers, but I think the consensus is that it's roughly -1% hit rate for every +2 evasion or evasion skill you add.

I defer to anyone else with more knowledge on the subject, but I think that's the gist of the last thread that popped up related to this.
 Carbuncle.Shadowwind
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Shadowwind 2010-07-16 13:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hit Rate = 75% + (Accuracy - Evasion)*0.5% + (Attacker's Level - Defender's Level)*2%

use it, love it. Just know hit rate can't drop below 20% for anyone, including the mob. So if you use that formula and start getting some numbers below 20%, then know you can take off gear and supplement something else.

EDIT: Still prioritize haste mostly though where you can.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-07-16 13:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually took some time and went to the tree to test the effects of +10 eva vs +10 eva skill. These are the results of my findings with over 1000 attack rounds under no evasion, +10 evasion and then +10 evasion skill.

No evasion: 22.48% Evade rate
+10 evasion: 29.71% Evade rate
+10 evasion skill: 27.49% Evade rate

(click images for hugeness)

Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-07-16 13:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Having more evasion skill still gives you room to play around and substitute gear with other useful stats. Would depend on the mob's acc and whatnot too, I'd imagine.
By Stefo 2010-07-16 13:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Difference between Evasion skill+ and evasion+ works like this:
Evasion skill is compared to the targets attack skill. like in PvP if a THF and WAR were sparring, the evasion skill would be compared to the opponent's Great axe for example.
So it is likely that an EM+ would generally have close to the approx.skill cap to compare to your skill cap.
Evasion+ is compared to the target's accuracy+... just like you would equip more acc+ when fighting a target with high evasion.
Basically everything has a yin and yang so to speak:
DEX vs. AGI
VIT vs. STR
Attack vs. defense
accuracy vs. evasion etc., etc...
These are generally how things work in a nutshell with exceptions to the rule obviously. Such as:
the Behemoth NM you pop for FoV elite training in Behemoth's Dominion has IMMACULATE accuracy and ridiculous Triple attack rate. So even a THF with 300+ evasion skill and evasion+ gear on will still get pummeled.
When you fight Charybdis in another example, you would want to tank on THF or NIN with as much Evasion Skill+ and then pile on as much evasion and subtle blow+ as you can after that and simply whittle away at it til its dead.