First Page 2
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-28 04:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi,

I didn't include /THF in the title because that's kinda a given. Ok so I will go over the cons and negatives of each sub, everyone is welcome to add something or correct me if I'm mistaken.

RDM Benefits:
1- Fast cast II 15% on all spells.
2- Convert.
3- Phalanx.
4- Stone skin.
5- Blink.
6- Cure spells frees up Lunar or magic fruit.
7- Bar spells.
8- DWI from traits as BLU.
9- Aquaviel for tanking.
10- En spells (more DPS).
11- Spike spells.
12- MAB bonus.
13- More base MND and INT.
14- Die II in addition to Frightful roar = 20% enemy def down.
15- Regen.
16- Pro II and Shell II.

NIN Benefits:
1- DW II.
2- Utsusemi Ichi/Ni.
3- More base DEX and STR.

DNC Benefits:
1- DW II.
2- Cures without MP.
3- More base DEX and STR from /rdm.
4- Steps.

------------------------
Do you think we can finally say lol/nin ?

Edit: thx holyman fastcast/dw edit.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-28 04:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

/nin still has plenty of uses. Like any time you are taking a decent amount of hits that do decent dmg.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-28 04:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
/nin still has plenty of uses. Like any time you are taking a decent amount of hits that do decent dmg.

You are right in that situation, tho i tested 80blu/rdm on tough imps, couldn't find any tougher to test on, anyhow with cocoon/phalanx/stonskin/proII/food. imp was hitting me for 30-40~ and i'm a taru. and most of the time it was paralyzed from ice spikes.
 Fenrir.Akuma
Server: Fenrir
user: nasamoo
By Fenrir.Akuma 2010-06-28 04:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i really wish they'd let cocoon last longer though ><
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-28 05:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah but imps especially T imps hit like ***. With a decent PDT set I could get there dmg that low with any sub lol. Also 30-40 is still more than 0 so eats into the mp you got from convert. Though the healing skill ups your blu cures a bit.

I wanna try blu/rdm as main healer though maybe
 Ragnarok.Holyman
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-06-28 05:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Correction:

You get 15% Fast Cast on spell with Fast Cast II , & /DNC DWII ^^/
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-28 05:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

thx edited.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-06-28 10:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

/NIN and /DNC give Subtle Blow, /NIN gives the second tier

/DNC gives ACC and EVA bonus I, though ACC bonus is common to get from spells anyway.

/DNC gives Sambas for strong regen or a bit of (mob dependent) refresh when meleeing

/DNC also has Flourishes to couple with Steps. Notably for 80, Reverse Flourish becomes available. While Finishing Moves are nerfed for sub, this still allows for setting aside a bit of TP.

In the longer term, /DNC also will net Skillchain Bonus.
Quote:

I'd be more inclined to use /SCH for that, as you'd get a more robust set of healing spells under Addendum: White, along with B+ skills from arts. Half-level skill from RDM will hinder the use of most offensive spells, or even some buffs (such as Enspells).

/RDM is probably more attractive in other respects though, as it does have a more diverse spell library.
 Caitsith.Jar
Server: Caitsith
user: Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-06-28 21:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Embrace wasnt affected by healing magic skill when i did /nin /rdm testing o/ 660~ was the highest i got it with +80 MND on an elvaan 80BLU/40RDM
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-28 21:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said:
Quote:
I'd be more inclined to use /SCH for that, as you'd get a more robust set of healing spells under Addendum: White, along with B + skills from arts. Half-level skill from RDM will hinder the use of most offensive spells, or even some buffs (such as Enspells). /RDM is probably more attractive in other respects though, as it does have a more diverse spell library.
You wont get that much more on your healing /sch vs /rdm. And it's not just healing debuffing and nuking too. Only using rdm for the stats and vert well and MAB/MDB I guess.

I don't really plan on using much of the subjobs spells. Well probably dia II lol.

Basically play it more like a rdm minus a few buffs but different debuffs too
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-28 23:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
9- Aquaviel for tanking.
Blood tanking is long dead for 99% of the game's content. For the rest, this is fairly unnecessary, especially if you have a -interrupt set.
Quote:
Do you think we can finally say lol/nin ?
Sadly, no.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-06-28 23:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i tried out Blu/Rdm seems Solid to me in a Besieged Level 8 Trolls
 Odin.Lowblow
Server: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-06-28 23:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Those all can be fun.

But im more interested for stacking Acc Traits, Atk traits, dual wield trait and double atk.
Then setting warm up and Triumphant war.

And testing out a nice /war setup. Berserk/warcry

With a proper TP / WS build i think blu/war would make a damn good Sword DD'er.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-29 02:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Blood tanking is long dead for 99% of the game's content. For the rest, this is fairly unnecessary, especially if you have a -interrupt set.

Not really 99% of the content, which game are you playing?. anyhow, Aquaveil could save you by casting the last curing spell on yourself before you die. don't underestimate it.

@Lowblow
thanks for the idea, I'd love to test that soon, I hope it's possible to stack frightful roar with that setup also.
 Carbuncle.Vontri
Server: Carbuncle
user: Vontri
By Carbuncle.Vontri 2010-06-29 06:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You wont get that much more on your healing /sch vs /rdm. And

I'd love to see your math on that.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-06-29 06:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:
Embrace wasnt affected by healing magic skill when i did /nin /rdm testing o/ 660~ was the highest i got it with 80 MND on an elvaan 80BLU/40RDM

How the hell are you getting 660 /NIN? And I've already confirmed Healing Skill affects it /NIN vs /SCH.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-29 13:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Not really 99% of the content, which game are you playing?
What game are you playing where more than a small fraction of anything that you'd blood tank instead of blink tank actually demands a true tank?
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-06-29 13:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm enjoying BLU/RDM in few times I have used it.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-29 13:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to list all mobs in the game that better be blood tanked, but something that hits fast/casts aoe/or aoe JAs, /nin is really stupid on. Maybe when you level PLD, RDM, or NIN you can argue better than saying 99%.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-29 13:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ad hominem is a terrible fallacy, especially when this isn't my first time around the block. Start listing, I really want to know all these bloodtankable mobs that couldn't be killed more efficiently with DDs bouncing hate.
[+]
 Sylph.Spiriel
Server: Sylph
user: Spiriel
By Sylph.Spiriel 2010-06-29 13:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Inspired by Vitaru's current job setup.
<forum reference>
OMFG u gaiz dont understand teh powa of mai blu/rng in meripo! i can shot 800 damge sidewinderz!
</forum reference>

Anyway, I think the usual DD "***'s situational" goes here.

/NIN is still going to be needed for shadows. Sorry, it will never go away, unless someone can get Zephyr Mantle's recast so low that you don't NEED /NIN.

/RDM with Convert definitely could have uses, helping to keep your MP up in situations where resting and refresh aren't available. Of course, now BLU has refresh, and in 3 months, you'll have it twice. Fast Cast is nice. I can see using this sub, as it just makes BLU ever more flexible.

/DNC I can see as useful in a low-man or farming situation, or when helping friends. You'd lose the shadows, and doing any weapon skills, chain affinity, or self-skillchains would be counter-productive since TP = Cures.

The level cap increase seems to have given BLU some new ways to be flexible, but I don't think it's a game-changer.
 Alexander.Abercrombiepat
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Abercrombiepat 2010-07-07 00:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i actually enjoyed blu/rdm alot. if you wanted more attack you could do blu/war. but i was pretty good doing solo w/s in xp pt's , and i was a pretty good healer as a blu/whm. i had a full healing gear set and a full mele set as well.
 Odin.Lowblow
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-07-07 00:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

No one else thinks a whicked TP/WS setup as /war woul dbe hot?
; ; /cry
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2010-07-07 03:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lowblow said:
; ; /cry

I do.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-07-07 04:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ad hominem is a terrible fallacy, especially when this isn't my first time around the block. Start listing, I really want to know all these bloodtankable mobs that couldn't be killed more efficiently with DDs bouncing hate.

Yilbegan and Orcus.

Chasmic Hornet.

Those are just 3 that come to mind. Special cases yes, but a PLD/BLU defense tanking is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than faketank/NIN. Divine Emblem made PLD/BLU a lot more stable on hate too.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-07 04:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If magic fruit is boosted by healing skill, and embrace is as well (think one of you said it was confirmed to), wouldn't /sch just be the nuts? I mean B+ skill for MAIN JOB level is huge...I'll have to try some embrace builds on my 77 blu/sch and blu/rdm to see whats better..
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-07 05:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure /sch will heal more. But /rdm will afford you alot more mp. Then again /sch gets you most the nas and erase.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-07 07:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Yilbegan and Orcus.

Chasmic Hornet.

Those are just 3 that come to mind. Special cases yes, but a PLD/BLU defense tanking is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than faketank/NIN. Divine Emblem made PLD/BLU a lot more stable on hate too.
There's not much after those 3. The situation exists, but like I said, 1%. Will be interesting to see if that changes in the future.
Odin.Lowblow said:
; ; /cry
Settable DA and Sanguine Blade took a lot of the potential shine out of BLU/WAR. Our spell:melee split is also going to be tilted towards spells in many situations; not a bad idea to enhance the more prominent aspect when going for full DD.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-07-07 08:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

/thf unless you're soloing. I like to die.....A lot.

I know you didn't include it, but I like to die.

/nin still wins for me though of the choices you provided. I've had a little fun with /sch as a main healer now too.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-07-07 13:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu has a massive amount of mnd gear available for ss as well as being able to wear stone gorget and mufflers for an extra 60 damage absorbed but capping would be insanely hard even with some of the best gear available.

/40 rdm gives 118 enhancing skill sans hands and neck for the +60 absorb and weapon and sub slot of course, the most mnd a blu can get from gear is 71. Base stats would depend on your race but I think capping is possible with a few spells set for mnd.

Sadly, subbed phanlax only has minimal gains. Aquaveil's uses are more toward getting off spells that are not based in blu magic such as blink and ss. I have little trouble casting a blu spell with out interruption with as much skill as we have in it. If interruption is a problem then you can always toss on a capped spell interruption build and get any cast you want off.
First Page 2