"The Future Of FFXI" The Review Of Updates In A Nutshell~

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » "The Future of FFXI" The review of updates in a nutshell~
"The Future of FFXI" The review of updates in a nutshell~
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-06-25 14:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Screamingbabies said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Ragnarok.Shadowknoll said:
I’ve never seen this done in MMO history getting 5 new lvls to xp and not getting new mobs or zones to lvl off . . .
Umm... They did get level increases back when the game was first released... :[
50 -> 55 -> 60 -> 65 -> 70 -> 75, IIRC, hence Genkai (Limit breakers/Maat quests, for the newer players.) They need to make it possible to skill-up while synced, but just keep you capped at sync level. (SE, if you're reading, make it happen.) BTW, is there a 75 -> 80 genkai?
Yep, you just speak to the nomad moogle beside Maat and trade it 5 KS and 3 merits.
I could have sworn SE said no more level cap quests. But I asked anyway because SE is scatterbrained to all hell. (SE, if you're reading this, I can't help it, it's true.)
Haha they probably did say something like "Oh yeah, we won't be doing the Maat thing anymore" and just left it open to interpretation. XD
Basically. What I heard was that they said there would be a "requirement".

I basically heard there would be no requirement. Also, how is meriting handled after 75?
By Helix 2010-06-25 14:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious...

How many ppl have actually beaten all content up to WoG?

Rank 10 in all 3 nations, RoZ completed, CoP completed and ToAU completed? WoG is still expanding so ...

I think SE is attempting to give everyone who has played (and paid) the opportunity to actually complete the stories before the servers are shut down...

Just a thought
 Bismarck.Ryokko
Server: Bismarck
user: mhua84
By Bismarck.Ryokko 2010-06-25 14:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The creator of this post makes a good point. No one likes to put time into something that they are insecure about. Some people have brought up the point that SE hasn't really showed us what the final destination is, but that's exactly what makes it annoying for some us. If we don't know what the future holds, how do we know what to invest our time in now. If I knew Salvage gear was going to be outclassed 3-4 years down the road, I would have invested my time on Relics. I hate it when people say, "If you don't like the game then don't play it." The problem is we're gamers and we need a game like FFXI to fill that void for us. If we have been playing FFXI up till now, that means it was serving its purpose. But now SE comes in and screws up our experience, how can we not complain? This game was my source of cheap entertainment, and now I don't know what to think of it. I love the game but then I hate the game, this is the problem. It's really not that simple for someone who has been investing his time in something for 4 years to just get up and walk out of it in a snap. People need to read the minds of people that makes posts here and really think about what they are trying to say.
[+]
Server: Siren
user: beesknees
By Siren.Screamingbabies 2010-06-25 14:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You just switch back and forth whenever you want. I think.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-06-25 14:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You just switch back and forth whenever you want. I think.

So basically handled the same as it is at 75? Not too bad.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-06-25 14:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Ragnarok.Shadowknoll said:
I’ve never seen this done in MMO history getting 5 new lvls to xp and not getting new mobs or zones to lvl off . . .
Umm... They did get level increases back when the game was first released... :[
50 -> 55 -> 60 -> 65 -> 70 -> 75, IIRC, hence Genkai (Limit breakers/Maat quests, for the newer players.) They need to make it possible to skill-up while synced, but just keep you capped at sync level. (SE, if you're reading, make it happen.) BTW, is there a 75 -> 80 genkai?
Yep, you just speak to the nomad moogle beside Maat and trade it 5 KS and 3 merits.
I could have sworn SE said no more level cap quests. But I asked anyway because SE is scatterbrained to all hell. (SE, if you're reading this, I can't help it, it's true.)
Haha they probably did say something like "Oh yeah, we won't be doing the Maat thing anymore" and just left it open to interpretation. XD
Basically. What I heard was that they said there would be a "requirement".

I basically heard there would be no requirement. Also, how is meriting handled after 75?

It's being handled the same way; you can still switch back and forth between xp and merit mode after genkai, everyone's just more focused on getting to 80 than meriting atm.

Which is good though, I was really worried that we wouldn't be able to merit again till after 99 so I'm glad they did it this way. :D
 Caitsith.Zefiris
Server: Caitsith
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-06-25 14:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't bought a piece of gear, but I am a part of a mercenary group. I've seen way less drama said group compared to other 'normal' sky/sea/dynamis/limbus linkshells I've participated in.

If you don't like the idea, that's fine, you don't have to buy the gear. But it's just an option for people who have a knack for making gil, and are tired with the inevitable drama that comes from end game shells. :3
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-06-25 14:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Eneas said:
Lakshmi.Icephase said:
The reason why some end gamers don't like the new add-ons is because they can't control the currency and drops to make their 200000000000 gil by exploiting other players for a piece of crap Relic that might drop.

Thats so true!

But i am still worried for the rest of the ingame economy though.

There is nothing to worry about, economy run by kiddos, you will soon see mat prices on AH drop below NPC buy rates, as happened to most items before. Supply and demand eh? lol...
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-06-25 14:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ignoring me? Read and response to post plz
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-25 14:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
I haven't bought a piece of gear, but I am a part of a mercenary group. I've seen way less drama said group compared to other 'normal' sky/sea/dynamis/limbus linkshells I've participated in.

If you don't like the idea, that's fine, you don't have to buy the gear. But it's just an option for people who have a knack for making gil, and are tired with the inevitable drama that comes from end game shells. :3

Like mercenary shells don't have drama. Any time there's "Something" At stake (Including Gil) there will be fuel for drama.

What payoff you choose is arbitrary to the fact that you're still dedicating time for a reward.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kailynn
user: Kailynn
By Phoenix.Kailynn 2010-06-25 14:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Buying certain pieces makes sense. I don't have time to do every end-game event. There is too much to do. I have a RL. I already do Dynamis, ZNM, VMN, Limbus and Einherjar. I don't play 7 days a week.

I've done sky to death. I earned my N. body, N. hands, N. feet, B. Haidate, Suzy Feet, Seiryu Hands

When VNM came out, I had to make a decision, sky or VNM. I dropped sky.

I still wanted A. Head for my BLM. (Yes, yes Demon Helm +1, but I wanted the MP and MND from the Z Crown +1, I'm not a BLM main.) I bought my A. Head from a shell for 200k. Could I have earned that by staying with my sky shell, yes. But I have more fun chasing VNMs, which is something new, and intersting to me than killing Kirin for the 200th time.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-06-25 14:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I only stated my personal experiences in each type of group, and I understand that everyone sees things differently. My main point was that we all have a choice and there's no reason to hate them. XD
 Phoenix.Kailynn
By Phoenix.Kailynn 2010-06-25 15:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rihoko said:
There is nothing to worry about, economy run by kiddos, you will soon see mat prices on AH drop below NPC buy rates, as happened to most items before. Supply and demand eh? lol...

The economy always goes through turmoil when there's a major update. And it always balances back out. Take a chill pill, enjoy the new content and have fun. It's a video GAME. One of the things I love about this game is its capitalism at its best. It's almost pure free market for all of this stuff.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-25 15:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
I only stated my personal experiences in each type of group, and I understand that everyone sees things differently. My main point was that we all have a choice and there's no reason to hate them. XD

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but there's reason to hate eachother on both sides.

Mercenary groups hate Item-based LS's because it denies them gil.

Item-Based LS's hate Mercenary LS's because it denies them the ability to "rightly earn" their Rare/ex, instead selling it to Dr.Retard because he just spent half his Paycheck at IGE.com.

My point is, everyone's the same, we all want ***. It's just from a game design standpoint, the concept of rare/ex in FFXI is strictly so that you CANNOT sell them. So, score 1 for Merc LS's for beating the system.
 Phoenix.Kailynn
By Phoenix.Kailynn 2010-06-25 15:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but there's reason to hate eachother on both sides. Mercenary groups hate Item-based LS's because it denies them gil. Item-Based LS's hate Mercenary LS's because it denies them the ability to "rightly earn" their Rare/ex, instead selling it to Dr.Retard because he just spent half his Paycheck at IGE.com. My point is, everyone's the same, we all want ***. It's just from a game design standpoint, the concept of rare/ex in FFXI is strictly so that you CANNOT sell them. So, score 1 for Merc LS's for beating the system.

Personally I see the item and merc shells co-existing well on my servers. The merc shells never mess with us and we don't mess with them. It's not like they're, "I hate you guys, you killed Odin, you should buy your stuff from us mwuahahahaha." Besides, largely we do different events. Merc shells are at Kings, KA, worthwhile HNMs, etc. We're at dynamis, limbus, einherjar, etc. As far as I know the major merc shell on our server doesn't touch sky. I know they mess around in dynamis and limbus occasionally, but it's not like they're zone stealing or anything.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-25 15:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kailynn said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but there's reason to hate eachother on both sides. Mercenary groups hate Item-based LS's because it denies them gil. Item-Based LS's hate Mercenary LS's because it denies them the ability to "rightly earn" their Rare/ex, instead selling it to Dr.Retard because he just spent half his Paycheck at IGE.com. My point is, everyone's the same, we all want ***. It's just from a game design standpoint, the concept of rare/ex in FFXI is strictly so that you CANNOT sell them. So, score 1 for Merc LS's for beating the system.

Personally I see the item and merc shells co-existing well on my servers. The merc shells never mess with us and we don't mess with them. Largely we do different events. Merc shells are at Kings, KA, worthwhile HNMs, etc. We're at dynamis, limbus, einherjar, etc. As far as I know the major merc shell on our server doesn't touch sky. I know they mess around in dynamis and limbus occasionally, but it's not like they're zone stealing or anything.

If Odin has a dedicated Merc shell, I haven't seen it. Sure, my LS is as guilty as the next of selling stuff we don't need, and it sure does look tempting when you score 2x Mbody and sell both for 20m each, but at the end of the day, I personally just can't compete against others simply for gil. That's just my personal choice. That's why I prefer things like Digging, gardening and Mining for Gil, sure it's not as awesomesauce as scoring 2m for killing faf, but it's also a lot more laid back and just good wholesome, drama free gil.

On the other hand, I have no problem killing uncamped things for gil. Some LS's got together in basically what I'd describe as an Ixion Cartel on Odin, and just shared the damn thing. So it was a real easy camp, for pretty monster gil. Not to mention a fun fight. But of Course, Maint set it back to JP time and 1LS held it in the same 5hr window for about 2months.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-06-25 17:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't enjoy competing with others either; I've never done Kings and even sky and sea were pretty painful sometimes. Limbus, ZNM, Salvage, Einherjar are much more fun. :3
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-25 17:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Helix said:
I'm curious...

How many ppl have actually beaten all content up to WoG?

Rank 10 in all 3 nations, RoZ completed, CoP completed and ToAU completed? WoG is still expanding so ...

I think SE is attempting to give everyone who has played (and paid) the opportunity to actually complete the stories before the servers are shut down...

Just a thought

nuuu don't make it sound like the end is near ; ; this game should stretch enough for me to get thf hands and rdm hat to feel accomplished ;-;/!
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-06-25 17:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ricco said:
To me its silly to *** about this simply because we do not know what gear is coming out what SE plans to with with gear etc. Just because we are a higher level doesn't mean your gear is total ***I sure as hell know I wouldn't be bitching if I had some usu or morrigans ***. There is a reason why many MNKs still wear okotes at 75 cause theres not much better if anything... and those are level 34... so please stop bitching til we know what they plan to do at least.

Totally!

Also, maybe this is just me, but the adventure, fun, time and effort I put into getting something is more important than that it ups my acc 1 or I cap haste. And to be honest, if the stats are people's reward... sorry to hear that.

And aside from that, the gear absolutely does not make the player. Sure better gear is better gear, and we all work to improve ourselves in game. But I think there's a hint for all of the uberelites out there. In game, more and more, I am hearing things like:

"I don't care about <whoever> not having <whatever item>, they showed up, pay attention and are fun."

At the same time in forums, I see more and more full-Usu type people all butt hurt about, well, everything.

Maybe that it's a GAME is actually catching on.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-06-25 17:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ryokko said:
If I knew Salvage gear was going to be outclassed 3-4 years down the road, I would have invested my time on Relics.

Do you really mean this? I mean, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people who don't plan on keeping a car for that long, or a house. Or a spouse! The fact that the game even exists today is pretty surprising, let alone that you would be wearing the same gear.

Carbuncle.Luthian
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Luthian 2010-06-26 01:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the people who say, "If you don't like it then leave." That's good advice, really practical too. Can you sense the sarcasm?

People play this game because they ENJOY it. When SE bones everyone, I'm looking at you Salvage people, then they have a right to ***.

So, bend over and take it with a smile or turn it off? How about fight back! Argue! Make your feelings known so the company that you spend time and money supporting can get some feedback and get their game straight.

Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-26 01:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Luthian said:
I like the people who say, "If you don't like it then leave." That's good advice, really practical too. Can you sense the sarcasm?

People play this game because they ENJOY it. When SE bones everyone, I'm looking at you Salvage people, then they have a right to ***.

So, bend over and take it with a smile or turn it off? How about fight back! Argue! Make your feelings known so the company that you spend time and money supporting can get some feedback and get their game straight.

i can smell the sarcasm.
 Carbuncle.Luthian
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Luthian 2010-06-26 01:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Carbuncle.Luthian said:

i can smell the sarcasm.

Is that why your face is all squished in your picture?
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-06-26 02:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kailynn said:
I have a RL.
Quote:
I already do Dynamis, ZNM, VMN, Limbus and Einherjar. I don't play 7 days a week.

Problem.

Caitsith.Omicronceti
By Caitsith.Omicronceti 2010-06-26 08:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I can totally understand a lot of people's frustration and confusion with the direction, or lack thereof, SE is taking. People are getting bones and the time they put into items is starting to look like a waste, thing is at the end of it all we all don't know where this is headed. Have some patience.

And the people who just brush off legitimate complaints with "QQ, quit the game", shut the *** up. Seriously.
[+]
By Haduken 2010-06-26 09:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
It doesn't matter if its a non-ahable item or not, if it was AHable it would be on AH and guess what, you would be buying it. I think the main reason you are complaining is because of BOTS or your lack of skill to claim, not the fact that items are merc'd.

I must say the whole BOT scene has made many many good/nice players stop playing this game,while keeping the arrogant/selfish ones at the top ; ; It's just kinda sad,but what can one do? join them? not I.
By Lancenageem 2010-06-26 09:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Helix said:
I'm curious... How many ppl have actually beaten all content up to WoG? Rank 10 in all 3 nations, RoZ completed, CoP completed and ToAU completed? WoG is still expanding so ... I think SE is attempting to give everyone who has played (and paid) the opportunity to actually complete the stories before the servers are shut down... Just a thought

Done that... still working on\ff a few of the mini-expansions though & heading towards the Maat's Cap.

yes i have no life.
By Ryuke 2010-06-26 09:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

OP is Venting..... this is allowed is it not
Ppl responding about the OP QQing.... this is also venting is it not.... Where's the love man. Roll a carrot and sit down with Jesus.

But tbh, SE has failed a little with their mini add ons. WotG was OK as a product, But since ToAU I don't think we've really seen much addition to be excited about.

As for all this Jizzim about Merc shells... Now I'm not into this game like the AH community, i got kids and life and interesting things like lemons in my fridge, but i will take short cuts to help me along, but buying R/E items from MLS's for gil isn't -challenge- and is it not why ppl play games. Also what is the difference between the dude/bird that pays for an in game item and that of the 'evil' of gil buying, or even buying accounts for that matter. I think that's what happens when a game gets OLD and fades.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-06-26 10:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Omicronceti said:
I can totally understand a lot of people's frustration and confusion with the direction, or lack thereof, SE is taking. People are getting bones and the time they put into items is starting to look like a waste, thing is at the end of it all we all don't know where this is headed. Have some patience.

And the people who just brush off legitimate complaints with "QQ, quit the game", shut the *** up. Seriously.

Problem is most of these complaints aren't legit. It's almost like people have been in denial about the level cap raise. Is it really that surprising lvl 80 gear is better or at the very least dead even with some of the best 75 gear? We were told about this months in advance and seems certain types of players just didn't accept it and kept going on as if it wasn't really going to happen.

Face of the matter is, what SE is doing is the standard model for the genre right now, and SE is way WAY late to the party on it. Flat out, FFXI is seen as something of a joke in the genre. It's seen as the stubborn old man who can't (or won't) get with the times, and it seems that's starting to reflect in the player base.
 Ramuh.Rustytiger
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Rustytiger 2010-06-26 10:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

People read way too much into things sometimes, and that is the problem with hardcore MMO gamers. Sure its ok to have opinions but c'mon, some of the complaints I've been seeing are rather excessive and over-analytical.

I spoke about this with one of my co-workers who used to play MMOs (DAC; dark age of camelot respectfully and WoW) and he has gone through the roller coaster ride of updates and add-ons, whatever. He says us dealing with the updates are no different. Quite frankly I must be the only one who is not making a fuss about the update and this is my first and only MMO.

If people are making a big deal and want the "perfect MMO", go to school on making video games and RPGS and make a game better than the ones we play if aren't satisfying. It's no different than the sports nerds/geeks going on about play plays but the difference is the majority of them have played sports.

Overall the way I see it I'm enjoying this game regardless of others views and opinions. I don't care if its not the perfect MMO.