The Walk Of Echoes Beckons!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Walk of Echoes » The Walk of Echoes Beckons!
The Walk of Echoes Beckons!
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Leviathan.Optimis
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: optimisx
By Leviathan.Optimis 2010-06-15 03:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The Walk of Echoes Beckons! (06/15/2010)The upcoming version update will see a section of the long-awaited Walk of Echoes area opened for access. There, adventurers will find thrilling new battlefields tailored to pose a challenge to seasoned veterans.

The Walk of Echoes
At the behest of a certain moogle of dubious origin and purpose, brave and trusting adventurers shall step forth into a realm forgotten by time. Upon arrival, they will encounter gateways to myriad battlefields wherein fearsome adversaries lie in wait. Conquer each battlefield in succession, and the opportunity to square off against mightier foes and reap richer rewards shall be granted to you.

The Rules of Engagement
To facilitate ease of access, the development team has omitted from the Walk of Echoes the need to lay claim to battlefields. Even if a battle has already been joined, it is possible for other adventurers to step in midway and lend their sword arms to the struggle, so long as the participant limit permits. Moreover, in the same vein as battles waged in Besieged and Campaign, enemies are not claimed when engaged by individual combatants. Battlefield participants are encouraged to use this freedom to their strategic advantage in the effort to dispatch the enemy hordes.

Copious Rewards
Materials used in the synthesis of all-new equipment level 76 and beyond form but a small part of the veritable treasure trove of items that awaits dauntless adventurers. Furthermore, ample opportunities to obtain a share of the spoils have been made available as follows:
- All battlefield participants may cast lots upon items dropped by monsters.
- Vanquishing all foes within the allotted time will produce a treasure chest, and only those participants whose contribution to the battle was deemed satisfactory will be granted the right to cast lots upon the contents.
- Highly evaluated combatants will be further rewarded with bounty befitting their standing.

*To enjoy the battle content offered in the Walk of Echoes, players must be level 70 or above and have progressed to the "Cait Sith" mission of the Wings of the Goddess expansion.

[+]
 Leviathan.Optimis
By Leviathan.Optimis 2010-06-15 03:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds fun =0
 Lakshmi.Greggles
Server: Lakshmi
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2010-06-15 03:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess we'll all get to use Walk of Echoes. According to this, you only need to be on mission 3 ;) Kinda cool, but invalidates all of the work I put into Wings of the Goddess in the last couple of weeks.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-06-15 03:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Sounds quite like Campaign Battles to me.

I was thinking the same thing, so it makes me wonder what will make people do this instead of Campaign. Or better yet, if this is too good, will people leave Campaign for this Walk of Echoes?
 Leviathan.Optimis
By Leviathan.Optimis 2010-06-15 03:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

it does just sound like Campaign =/ i will be a little disapointed if thats all it is
 Valefor.Ryukuro
Server: Valefor
user: Ryukuro
By Valefor.Ryukuro 2010-06-15 03:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Sounds quite like Campaign Battles to me.

I was thinking the same thing, so it makes me wonder what will make people do this instead of Campaign. Or better yet, if this is too good, will people leave Campaign for this Walk of Echoes?

1. This is new.

2. You need items from here to craft certain 76+ items.

3. There is not many pre-reqs to join so every tom, *** and harry will want a go.

4. NEW CONTENT!!!! FLOG IT TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-06-15 03:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for deletion above ^^ I meant to edit not delete but it is early here and I only had 3 hours sleep. lol

What I was going to add was... i'm glad the only requirements are that you need to be lvl 70 and on the Cait Sith mission. I'm looking forward to this update more than most of the previous ones over the two years I have played.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-15 03:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It does sound like campaign but like more reward oriented than xp.

The whole people who do really good get further reward and the participant limit sound good.

And stuff to make new armor hurrays. If participation is anything like campaign I think I'm going to have to do blu to 80 first lol
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-06-15 03:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what the participant limit will be.
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-06-15 04:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It does sound a lot like campaign. The required level is a lot higher though, so let's hope the extra challenge makes it feel fresh.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-15 04:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I sure can't wait to lot against 20+ people for each item >.>
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-15 04:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
It does sound a lot like campaign. The required level is a lot higher though, so let's hope the extra challenge makes it feel fresh.

nice, just what i wanted...to campaign moar for items.....*** you SE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >o

also, im not even going to bother finishing wotg missions if those rewards arent worth getting >o

inb4 str+4 ring (+25 during cb) -_-;;;;;;;
[+]
 Fenrir.Xeonerable
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Xeonerable 2010-06-15 04:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I sure can't wait to lot against 20 people for each item >.>

lol I sure hope that isn't the case... In campaign unions I almost never win anything because my lotting luck fails so much...
Fairy.Ghaleon said:
Asura.Kowen said:
also, im not even going to bother finishing wotg missions if those rewards arent worth getting >o

It says on the website you only need to be up to the "Cait Sith" mission in Wings of the Goddess... that is Mission 3.. and super easy to get to. >_> ***most people are probably past that mission anyway.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-06-15 04:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So, does this mean all the people rushing their wotg missions to end so they could access this wasted their time?(barring the end rewards when their done) Or is this just one of the new things being added requiring wotg missions, and more things later will require higher missions to be done?

I stopped at 17 cause the story lines were ***, i'd rather not finish them tbh....
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-15 04:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I got my WotG mission to the end because I enjoyed the story and wanted to be ready for more missions. I didn't even give a thought to needing to have them complete for zone access. Having said that, since Walk of Echoes Pt1 is so *** disappointing, hopefully Pt2 will be the sea/sky area that we've been waiting for for... 5 years? (and will require having the missions complete)
[+]
 Asura.Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-06-15 04:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Samuraiking said:
I stopped at 17 cause the story lines were ***, i'd rather not finish them tbh....

Did you really not like the story? Personally, the only incentive I found to keep doing the missions was that I enjoyed the plot.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-06-15 04:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I got my WotG mission to the end because I enjoyed the story and wanted to be ready for more missions. I didn't even give a thought to needing to have them complete for zone access. Having said that, since Walk of Echoes Pt1 is so *** disappointing, hopefully Pt2 will be the sea/sky area that we've been waiting for for... 5 years? (and will require having the missions complete)

ugh don't say that last part. My theory is though, if I *** need it at some point i'll grab a shout group and burn it in 1-2 days. Right now it's not needed. Granted, i'd get a shitload of crappy pickups, but i'm a procrastinator.

I've always hated besieged and campaign, and how the fights actually play out.(with me dying) So i'm not too enthralled with this. Hopefully they didn't just half-*** some ***again and this will actually be fun and rewarding.

edit:
Asura.Kowen said:

Did you really not like the story? Personally, the only incentive I found to keep doing the missions was that I enjoyed the plot.

No, I hated it. Granted I only did the sandy ones(I have pld and wanted the armor there) and i've never liked anything about sandy ever. I don't see the other being more appealing though, and from what I hear their missions are more annoying.

That being said though, I didn't even like ZM/CoP storylines which everyone praises. Sitting through cut-scenes, especially poorly made ones with no actual voice acting(all of them) it's not my cup o' tea. All the power to those that love it, but I do not.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-15 04:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Gl winning lot on 76+ mats
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-15 05:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't like the Sandy story-line at first, but once I got over how much I hated the ugly elf kid with the point face I really started to enjoy it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ouch
By Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie 2010-06-15 05:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I can only hope that the number of items in the pool adjusts according to the number of participants, but I'm not really holding my breath. Trying to win lots on anything in a campaign battle is bad enough; this is going to be a damned nightmare.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-06-15 05:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie said:
I can only hope that the number of items in the pool adjusts according to the number of participants, but I'm not really holding my breath. Trying to win lots on anything in a campaign battle is bad enough; this is going to be a damned nightmare.

I only ever get the rubbish stuff in campaign, that is if I get anything at all. I have appalling luck with lotting. lol
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-06-15 05:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds fail.

First anyone entering will be able to mpk you, tp feed the mob you were tanking or alterate you strategy. This leads me to believe that this is Beseiged/campaign II.

Secondly, they said not all areas will be released at first, meaning they reserve new crafting eq / mat for further updates, which means the current equipement will be only level 76-80 and therefore completely trash at later levels.

Thirdly, the fact that anyone can join at any time leads me to believe that success will only be possible in alliances, and that the mobs are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE alla campaign boss.

From what I understand, this is not endgame, but farming ... I'm closer and closer to quit, as nothing good has been released since salvage and we are more and more in the process of experimenting FFXIV bĂȘta.

[+]
 Asura.Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-06-15 05:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Another possible problem is the with way that they're going to choose which players' contributions are "satisfactory" enough for the extra items. If it's anything like campaign's EXP calculating, people on jobs like RDM, PLD, BLU, and DNC will have a much easier time qualifying.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-06-15 05:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
Another possible problem is the with way that they're going to choose which players' contributions are "satisfactory" enough for the extra items. If it's anything like campaign's EXP calculating, people on jobs like RDM, PLD, BLU, and DNC will have a much easier time qualifying.

qft

My MNK always gets less exp/notes than my DNC and my fiance who plays PLD always gets more than both of them.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-06-15 05:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Asura.Kowen said:

qft

My MNK always gets less exp/notes than my DNC and my fiance who plays PLD always gets more than both of them.

MNK/DNC get really good exp in campign, do you not tank with guard gear or eva gear if u have low guard? PLD and DNC no doubt have some of the easiest times, but my mnk destroys ***in campaign.

I kind of like the idea of qualifying though. Would you want a level 70rdm meleeing with swords not healing/raising anyone who contributed almost no dmg winning all the lots against the 80's who actually caused the win and most likely died multiple times?

In campaign i've seen so many HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE whm/nins meleeing and not raising when there are dead ppl all around them, not just 1 or 2, but all around them. The raise is not only going to give you more exp but you're not tanking or dealing out much dmg, why the *** are you wasting your's and the dead ppls time? /rage over
[+]
 Valefor.Endlesspath
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Endlesspath 2010-06-15 05:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I read the announcement is that this will be an Einherjar type event; possibly even rendering Einherjar obsolete (in regards to lv76+ items).
 Leviathan.Rihoko
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-06-15 05:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I kind of like the idea of qualifying though. Would you want a level 70rdm meleeing with swords not healing/raising anyone who contributed almost no dmg winning all the lots against the 80's who actually caused the win and most likely died multiple times?

In campaign i've seen so many HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE whm/nins meleeing and not raising when there are dead ppl all around them, not just 1 or 2, but all around them. The raise is not only going to give you more exp but you're not tanking or dealing out much dmg, why the *** are you wasting your's and the dead ppls time? /rage over

I very much agree with this, if you want loot, work your butt.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-06-15 05:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Asura.Kowen said:
qft My MNK always gets less exp/notes than my DNC and my fiance who plays PLD always gets more than both of them.
MNK/DNC get really good exp in campign, do you not tank with guard gear or eva gear if u have low guard? PLD and DNC no doubt have some of the easiest times, but my mnk destroys ***in campaign. I kind of like the idea of qualifying though. Would you want a level 70rdm meleeing with swords not healing/raising anyone who contributed almost no dmg winning all the lots against the 80's who actually caused the win and most likely died multiple times? In campaign i've seen so many HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE whm/nins meleeing and not raising when there are dead ppl all around them, not just 1 or 2, but all around them. The raise is not only going to give you more exp but you're not tanking or dealing out much dmg, why the *** are you wasting your's and the dead ppls time? /rage over

I have had my characters lying dead right next to a meleeing WHM many times in campaign and have wound up home pointing and coming back to the battle >.<
Same for my fiance... i've even had to hand in my tags and come back as WHM to raise his PLD on more than one occasion.
 Unicorn.Aleste
Server: Unicorn
user: Aleste
By Unicorn.Aleste 2010-06-15 06:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Asura.Kowen said:
qft My MNK always gets less exp/notes than my DNC and my fiance who plays PLD always gets more than both of them.
MNK/DNC get really good exp in campign, do you not tank with guard gear or eva gear if u have low guard? PLD and DNC no doubt have some of the easiest times, but my mnk destroys ***in campaign. I kind of like the idea of qualifying though. Would you want a level 70rdm meleeing with swords not healing/raising anyone who contributed almost no dmg winning all the lots against the 80's who actually caused the win and most likely died multiple times? In campaign i've seen so many HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE whm/nins meleeing and not raising when there are dead ppl all around them, not just 1 or 2, but all around them. The raise is not only going to give you more exp but you're not tanking or dealing out much dmg, why the *** are you wasting your's and the dead ppls time? /rage over

I have had my characters lying dead right next to a meleeing WHM many times in campaign and have wound up home pointing and coming back to the battle >.<
Same for my fiance... i've even had to hand in my tags and come back as WHM to raise his PLD on more than one occasion.

As one of those whm/nin's who campaigns a fair bit, I'd like to throw my opinion into the matter.

Out of all the time I've played in campaign /nin seems to net me most exp/notes (over time). Don't get me wrong, I used to /sch and stay backline hasting and curing people, but with the advent of the NPC healers and poor XP/note reward for doing so I stopped staying back out of range.

To me (at least) whinja offers me the ability to hit multiple categories at once and when paired with mystic boon (returning anywhere from 250-400mp) there is literally no downtime in campaign. I find that I'm capable of soloing a number of different mob types using a mixture of Afflictus Solace and Utsusemi, and throwing out flash every time its up gives a considerable XP/Note reward. While doing so, I will normally throw out the odd cure5, or haste to whoever is tanking (if I'm not) as they're effectively helping me by holding a mobs attention while I beat on it.

That said, raise (at 150mp) is nearly a quarter of my mp pool, and it is MP that I'll just end up having to rest back later while everyone else is in combat earning points. The downtime isn't justified after the second (or third) time some HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE player runs back into AOE range while weakened then QQ's /tells asking for yet another raise.

I would happily return to the back line in campaign V2 as long as they fix it to the point where playing my ACTUAL job gives me a better reward that being a pseudo DD.

*edit* damn you tab button clicking submit
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5