Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Shadro
By Valefor.Vasante 2010-06-10 01:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Straight from the FFXIV YouTube page!

http://www.youtube.com/user/finalfantasyxiv

Enjoy, it's pretty good.

...Except for the guy who sounds like he's trying to imitate David Hayter.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-10 02:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You gotta admit, it's damn pretty. The prettiness actually interests me, although perhaps I'm reading too much into it:

WoW specifically decided during development to cartoonify their graphics and lower their poly counts, having discovered they could get more people into the game with less cutting edge hardware, and the hard-core folks would still play anyway. It's worked out terrifically well for them, and I would expect other MMO companies to have taken notice.

If FFXIV is going the other way and pushing the graphics bar ever higher, perhaps their gameplay will similarly be less casual-player friendly than we might have been led to believe?

These would be easy questions to answer if I were in the beta. Unfortunately, they seem to be keeping myself, Scragg, and the rest of us out. Probably because I dutifully and honestly answered "Yes" for the question asking if I was in the gaming industry, and "FFXIAH.com" for the "do you run a fan site" question. Kiss of death, perhaps? =p
 Valefor.Vasante
By Valefor.Vasante 2010-06-10 02:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The graphics blew my mind when I saw the first gameplay video, the draw distance is intense and the level of quality seen in the video for character creation is pretty outstanding.

Damn I want in on the Beta.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-10 02:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks gorgeous. My preorder is at gamestop and its almost paid up. Dec 31st here we come! (eventually)
 Leviathan.Lexington
Server: Leviathan
user: Lexington
By Leviathan.Lexington 2010-06-10 02:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm impressed, the graphics really do look quite pretty. Can't wait to see what else they show at E3 :D
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-06-10 02:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Character customisation looks nice. I like the fact we will be able to have first and last names too.
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-06-10 02:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
You gotta admit, it's damn pretty. The prettiness actually interests me, although perhaps I'm reading too much into it:

WoW specifically decided during development to cartoonify their graphics and lower their poly counts, having discovered they could get more people into the game with less cutting edge hardware, and the hard-core folks would still play anyway. It's worked out terrifically well for them, and I would expect other MMO companies to have taken notice.

If FFXIV is going the other way and pushing the graphics bar ever higher, perhaps their gameplay will similarly be less casual-player friendly than we might have been led to believe?

These would be easy questions to answer if I were in the beta. Unfortunately, they seem to be keeping myself, Scragg, and the rest of us out. Probably because I dutifully and honestly answered "Yes" for the question asking if I was in the gaming industry, and "FFXIAH.com" for the "do you run a fan site" question. Kiss of death, perhaps? =p

I honestly wouldn't be surprised... You could be out to steal their ground breaking ideas.

Also back on topic, they have completely redone the Char Creation from the ground up, no Miqo'te on the Alpha currently either, so I can finally be a... Err.. <Insert a witty male version of Miqo'te> when it trickles down to us.
 Fenrir.Xeonerable
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Xeonerable 2010-06-10 02:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

looks awesome... going to be interesting to have a more diverse game population with all the customization.

can't wait for the game to come out, hopefully its designed to utilize more than one CPU core.... and that my graphics card will be fine xD

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Zekko 2010-06-10 02:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

The graphics may be the reason it might not do so well. Then again lots have a ps3 so it might even out between those who cant afford a PC to play it on
 Odin.Ahligieri
Server: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2010-06-10 02:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cat ladies actually look nice this time! :P
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-10 02:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i cant watch the vid D:, said it was taken down due to copyright nonsense etc.

this is what i get:

"FINAL FANTASY XIV "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE""
You must be logged in to view this video.
The following content has been identified by the YouTube community as being potentially offensive or inappropriate. Viewer discretion is advised. Please confirm that you wish to view this video.
This video or group may contain content that is inappropriate for some users, as flagged by YouTube's user community. Please confirm that you wish to view this video.
This video is unavailable.
This featured video is available for rental by clicking here.
This video contains content from Square Enix Co., Ltd., who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

(yes, i am logged in.)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Vasante
By Valefor.Vasante 2010-06-10 02:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said:

I lol'd.

They took it down that quickly. Good job, SE. Maybe they were saving it for E3 and someone screwed up.
 Gilgamesh.Zythum
user: Zythum
By Gilgamesh.Zythum 2010-06-10 02:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said:

First i could but it was damn lagging, so i closed the tab and came back but had this message also :(
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-10 02:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

i JUST finished watching it too.

I admit it looks nice... for anyone who missed it it was just a detailed walk through of the character creation including race/hair type and color/jobs (they only showed the crafting ones mostly) and voices as well as misc options.

Didn't miss anything too groundbreaking or epic at least.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-10 02:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

But Sqeenix likes to cockblock. A LOT.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zandra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zandra
By Quetzalcoatl.Zandra 2010-06-10 03:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

god that guy was annoying. they shoulda let me translate instead ; ;
 Siren.Clinpachi
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-10 03:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

video is back up again ^^
 Ragnarok.Ahtos
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ahtos
By Ragnarok.Ahtos 2010-06-10 04:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Xeonerable said:
hopefully its designed to utilize more than one CPU core....

SE already said a few month ago the final version support multi-core CPU's. ^^
 Asura.Kowen
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-06-10 04:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Vasante said:
Fairy.Ghaleon said:

I lol'd.

They took it down that quickly. Good job, SE. Maybe they were saving it for E3 and someone screwed up.

Hiromichi Tanaka himself posted it on twitter, so I don't think that's case. The block was probably just some kind of mistake.

It's looking great so far, but only 8 hairstyles? That's a little disappointing.
 Gilgamesh.Zythum
user: Zythum
By Gilgamesh.Zythum 2010-06-10 04:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Though it's beautiful, there aren't that many possibilities. They should consider putting at least a few parameters fully customizable, a bit like on aion, and not only predefined stuff with so few choices.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-06-10 16:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
WoW specifically decided during development to cartoonify their graphics and lower their poly counts, having discovered they could get more people into the game with less cutting edge hardware.

They also dumb downed their gameplay to match the graphics. xD

It isn't 2002 anymore and more and more new computers are able to display pretty graphics. They could always include an option to turn on or off graphics. EQ2 has a ton of different graphic setting you can tweak to make it run fast and still look nice.
 Sylph.Spiriel
Server: Sylph
user: Spiriel
By Sylph.Spiriel 2010-06-10 16:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Does it let you change video settings from within the game this time? That's the important question.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-06-10 16:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

omfg

it's FFXI with Phantasy Star Universe customization!!!!

game's sold for me
 Siren.Krystale
user: vaness
By Siren.Krystale 2010-06-10 16:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh my, I cant wait ;;
 Odin.Lowblow
Server: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-06-10 16:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

sexy
 Fenrir.Anberlin
Server: Fenrir
user: Kike
By Fenrir.Anberlin 2010-06-10 16:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The guy is so damn annoying. That said the character creation looks decent. It's an improvement from Final Fantasy XI but it still seems a tad bland. Eight hairstyles? I was expecting more. Let's hope they add more before release.
 Asura.Tristean
user: Tristean
By Asura.Tristean 2010-06-11 11:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still hoping male miqo'te. I noticed they put the gender symbol next to the miqo'te race/clan options. I don't think they would've put the gender symbol there if they weren't thinking about adding male miqo'te later. It's obvious things with boobs are women. SE keeps hinting that's it's still possible that they are playable. I'll flip my s*** if they are available at release.

I've always wanted to be a manthra(but not like the emo one in the WotG storyline... but even he is kind've cool)
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-11 11:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I love all the new customization and feature options for the character selection process. Not to mention the first/last name, along with profession/discipline and clan selection was very interesting.

Not sure why it was taken down for awhile or even noted that it would contain inappropriate content >_>
Not like we got to see any miqo'te boobs...

Anyways, lookin forward to XIV!