FFXI Replacement MMO
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 13 14 15
 Phoenix.Zumi
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Zumi
By Phoenix.Zumi 2015-03-20 05:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I would play FFXIV, its like a major improvement over FFXI in almost every way.
 Bahamut.Liuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Liuu
By Bahamut.Liuu 2015-03-20 06:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry but FFXIV isn't a replacement to FFXI, it just isn't. I'm not saying its a bad game but it's core principles are completely different.

FFXI:> Slower progression gradient and focus on player community.

FFXIV:> Quest based, solo oriented and built for convenience.

I don't think there will ever be an MMO that does what FFXI did back at it's peak. The market has moved on and developers can't justify the cost if they think their target audience wants convenience and the ability to solo.
[+]
 Asura.Aldrai
Server: Asura
user: Aldrai
By Asura.Aldrai 2015-03-20 06:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing can replace FFXI. It is, and will always be it's own.
[+]
 Asura.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-03-20 06:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Is ESO really as bad as people make it out to be?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-03-20 06:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually like ESO
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2015-03-20 07:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »

There is a looming darkness on the horizon. FFXI's time is drawing nigh. Where will you go?

Blade & Soul - Looks cool as a concept RPG, but it suffers badly from balance issues (everything is soloable) and I'm not sure it has a US release date at the moment. You can still use an english mod on russian or chinese servers, but essentially the entire game is soloable at this point.

Black Desert Online - Similar deal to Blade & Soul, but different feel.

Camelot Unchained - I like everything I've heard about Camelot Unchained *except* that it's not going to have a PvE component, which entirely kills the game for me. It's also dragging *** because it's essentially just a successful kickstarter so they're both building a studio and a game at the same time.

FFXIV: Heavensword - Themepark expansion, now with flying! I'll probably try XIV at some point, but if half of what I've heard about it is true then I doubt I'll stay.

Landmark/Everquest Next - Landmark doesn't look like something I'd be interested in, but EQN could be good depending what they choose to do.

Skyforge - This looks like it has potential (and a job system), but I'm not sure I will like the character development system.

... or just not go anywhere, play single player games for a while, and finally become an adult.

Finally becoming an adult? Good idea for you guys after ffxi. (No disrespect intended)

One MMO only.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-20 07:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

One MMO to rule them all!
[+]
 Asura.Emoneaone
user: Oldsarge
By Asura.Emoneaone 2015-03-20 07:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
... or just not go anywhere, play single player games for a while, and finally become an adult.

I'm 55, way too old to become an adult at this stage!
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-20 07:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Amymy said: »
Finally becoming an adult? Good idea for you guys after ffxi. (No disrespect intended)

Used with permission, hotlink provided by the artist, in case Lye is wondering!
[+]
 Leviathan.Dazusu
user: Dazusu
By Leviathan.Dazusu 2015-03-20 10:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I'll stick to the FFXI private server I play on. I love re-doing the CoP/RoTZ era and killing Kirin with BLMs, SMNs and RNGs. If SE released such a server, I'd go do it officially!

Until then, I have my FFXI fix there with some great friends I met on FFXI Leviathan
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-03-20 14:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I think that SE could maintain most of my interest in FFXI if they just motivated high-end content by setting up challenges, like beating the max level Incursion boss or clearing 100 waves in Hall of Mul.
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-03-20 14:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I think adding content working like incursion/hall of mul progression wise(might as well make it drop gear/synth+ rem mats at this point) and world spawn HNM and we'll keep playing forever lol
 Carbuncle.Riaka
Server: Carbuncle
user: Grimix88
By Carbuncle.Riaka 2015-03-20 14:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Who knows wtf SE is really planning with this game lol.

It would be really funny this was an elaborate marketing ploy to get people to come back to the game and we find out about a ffxi 2.0 vanadiel reborn lmao
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-20 14:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Oculus Rift is cool etc but an Oculus Rift MMO doesn't excite me at all.
The only VR technology I'm really interested in is miles away atm and I'm not sure I'll manage to see it before I die.
I'm talking about brain connection, data directly transmitted to your brain etc.

That sort of VR would be a real VR and would seriously interest me. But will it ever happen? Certainly not anytime soon.

Personally I keep saying FFXI will likely be the last MMO I'll play. I might have fun a bit in other MMOs but I don't think I'll ever play anything else seriously and regularly.
If a new cool game that excite me will be announced I'll be ready to change my mind but so far nothing even close to what I'd want in an MMO has been announced, so yeah... don't see it happening.

Really we should invest money in Stasis Animation, Freeze ourselves at like 30/40 (Expectations for it to be completed before I'm 40........................... Screw the family!) and then only get unfrozen when A: Apocalypse happens and the world becomes like a Fallout Game (Real world becomes VR) or True VR happens.

Either way its a win, one just has the whole SaO sorta Life/death version >_>.

OR better yet, once VR is completed, I stay in animation, but my Mind keeps working? (Intravenious and effectively immortal!) and get to troll people for Millennia in VR/MMO style games.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-03-20 14:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Never happening, I don't see why people even think it's an option (even a veeeeery unlikely one)
 Leviathan.Siratus
By Leviathan.Siratus 2015-03-20 14:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Tera is nice if you have a PC that can run it.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-03-20 14:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The only game really comparable to XI by this point that has a degree of success and long term life in it is EVE Online, in my opinion. It is heavily community driven, which works wonders for the sandbox nature of the game. The game has very minimal specs to run, you can dual or more box, and it has heavy support with third party applications from the playerbase. The slow nature of the gameplay hides the sheer depth and complexity of the game mechanics, which should sound familiar to most players.

If XI doesn't reduce the sub fee or go F2P, I'm going to likely mess with EVE more seriously than I have in the past during XI breaks. XI costs me $17.95 a month due to having 4 mules so that I can freely play any of my jobs with moderate gear, with no chance of a discount on the sub fee.

As a XIV legacy, I can pay 6 months of sub and pay about $7 or $8 a month. EVE I can pay for a year sub for $12 a month. It costs me less to play two healthier MMOs than it does to play my preferred game, which I'm sure also influenced other players on their spending habits.

SE is gonna keep making bad decisions regardless of what the player base asks for, so I expect a saving move like a XI/XIV bundle like in times past or introducing a XI "Legacy" status, or going F2P once major content patches end in March 2016 to go into the same burn pile as begging for server merges.
By darthsnuggie 2015-03-20 15:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I seriously doubt a 2.0 version of XI because XIV failing also meant SE going out of business for the most part. They had so much tied into the future of Square resting on that game a remake of 1.0 was absolutely needed. XIV has solid sub numbers now, it doesn't appeal to old school mmo players but is a WoW alternative with FF flavor and for a lot of people that's great. FFXI isn't really needed anymore as an income source for SE, its all gravy at this point. Them axing console support is just the easiest path for them, less resources for code porting, and this final scenario is just enough carrot to keep the 50 thousand peeps forking over a sub for a litle while longer. Don't be surprised if they hand the whole game over to Nexon at some point and turn it all into a pay to win ***fest.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2015-03-20 15:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Wildstar. Been playing since BETA and it has been my MMO of choice since.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-20 15:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Never happening, I don't see why people even think it's an option (even a veeeeery unlikely one)

Thinking and wishing are very different things.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2015-03-20 16:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I'd say that for suggestions related to the topic... you've got plenty of those. If you were me and I was you, I'd make you try FFXIV out on Excalibur Server. Then you could make fun of Dracondria/tickle him/boobear :P

On a more personal slant, I went to FFXIV after FFXI. Somewhat ironically, it was Kalila who got me into it. It was exciting at first, particularly when I learned I could dodge enemy specials. The game didn't lose any of its luster for me for quite a long while. It was only after I'd successfully done endgame content as all 3 of the roles that it started to feel stale. Even then though, it was engaging enough to still be fun, and the people who I play with made it loads more fun. The content rolls out quickly enough that you get a bit of fresh smell every few months as well.

The thing is though, all of the serious content is 8 player combat with weekly gear lockouts. The combat tactics the game uses are taught to you over the course of leveling to max level via Dungeons and Guildhests(though literally both of those are optional). Once you've got a good grasp on the general breakdown of high level combat all of the fights can be broken down into being the same thing, more or less. Each will have several gimmicks referred to as mechanics. Each gimmick is divied out to a particular role.
Gimmicks are intended as pass/fail checks for a group, but actually only test each member of the group as individuals. This causes individuals to wipe groups quite often.
Some people find them to be incredibly boring, and in some of the fights they are derisively boring. This causes many players to lose interest in fights, particularly after clearing them.

Combine this with the WoW dropouts that comprise the majority of the playerbase, and it makes for a fairly bitter soup if you're on your own.

For general content though, things like crafting, gathering, questing, dungeons, 24 man raids etc. You have total freedom. You can do them with anybody and have a 90% success rate. You don't have to wait on anybody. You don't have to search or make a party. If someone leaves, they'll be replaced automagically. It's a casual pick-up, put down dream.

The saddest thing for me is, is that quite a few of my favorite people lost interest, and stopped playing before ARR was even a year old. It got a lot less fun without them, even though I only got to play with them every so often due to the nature of the 8 man system. Sometimes it's a really lonely game.

Also sometimes you'll have friends in groups who do things certain ways, and when they try to interact with people from other groups, there's tension.

All in all though, you can't really tell if you'll enjoy it until you play it. Get out there and try something.
[+]
By Trapjaw 2015-03-20 16:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I joined a WOW vanilla private server called Nostalrius. Tons of people playing(too many actually) and it runs 99% perfectly.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-03-20 16:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Trapjaw said: »
I joined a WOW vanilla private server called Nostalrius. Tons of people playing(too many actually) and it runs 99% perfectly.
Are there TBC WoW private servers?
If so send me a PM please, I'd love to play on one for a few days ;)
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-03-20 17:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie said: »
Wildstar. Been playing since BETA and it has been my MMO of choice since.
WildStar is dead though, it has less players than FFXI. Not even exaggerating.

Tera is pretty decent, Blade and Soul: Censored edition is coming out "soon" and there is always GW2. Or, obviously, FFXIV. Other than that, SWTOR is trying to stay relevant, I didn't hear of any other MMO lately. Rift, maybe?
[+]
By Voren 2015-03-20 17:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

There's always DC Universe Online. Last I checked there were a fair amount of people and it's free to play. Pay $10/mo and get more stuffs faster, but it's not necessary.

If anyone does try it out I will say that lightning power and staff weapon is absolutely broken, like SAM and fudo is now, only make it during level 75 cap with an i119 weapon broken.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2015-03-20 18:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll probably just play FFXIV. I know it the best compared to other ones.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2015-03-20 19:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably see out the last new content here, than jump over to 14 sometime next year, by that time Heavensward will be really far developed and the game will have a good chunk of new content to catch up on.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Pretre
Server: Phoenix
user: pretre
By Phoenix.Pretre 2015-03-20 20:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

vr headsets are out next year vr mmo yes please
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 13 14 15