FFXI Replacement MMO
First Page 2 3 4 ... 13 14 15
 Asura.Crevox
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2015-03-19 13:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I can tell, there aren't really any good upcoming MMOs I'm looking forward to. Tree of Savior looks good, but I don't see that filling the huge void.

I haven't been playing FFXI for very long (maybe about a year at this point, or a little bit less due to a couple large breaks) but it has been enjoyable. I'm just so tired of every MMO being the same thing over and over.

I first started with Dark Age of Camelot, and that was fun for a long time, until World of Warcraft came out. I played that for a long time. After getting sick of WoW, I learned that every other game in the market has become WoW, trying to copy it in every way. I can't play any MMO without feeling like I'm just playing WoW again, because they all copied the things that made WoW successful. Quests, instanced dungeons, vertical gear progression, item level, everything is so systematic. On top of that, every game is so easy and feels like it's designed for you to win, with no attempts at difficulty. There is no challenge, and there's not even any thought in gearing your character, specializing, etc. It quickly becomes a question of "why am I even playing this?"

I played FFXIV 1.0 and ARR as well, and ever since they went ARR I've been getting that WoW feeling again. I'm currently downing Turn 13 every week, and while I enjoy the game and the content they put out, I'm just so sick of the WoW formula. We're back to vertical progression, gear becoming useless every other patch, constant nerfing of content, etc, etc. I want to play Heavensward, but a part of me is like "are we really doing this again?"

FFXI has been fun, and I'm disappointed that there is now an "end" in sight. It's certainly a demotivator. Not entirely sure what I'll do next, but I'm glad I got a chance to play and experience FFXI before it ended. For now, I'm going to keep enjoying it while it lasts.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-03-19 13:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be hilarious if by changing the game to work on mobile they fix everything -.-
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-19 13:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The game lasted 13 years I think that is a big success. No MMO will last forever. Even the fabled WoW will end eventually.
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-03-19 13:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The game lasted 13 years I think that is a big success. No MMO will last forever. Even the fabled WoW will end eventually.

You can still play the original EverQuest, which is the game that inspired both FFXI and WoW. (more so FFXI)

Its not that FFXI has accomplished something truly unique in lasting so long.. its that it is in itself a very unique game that has yet to have an equal.

Most MMOs fit into two categories, WoW Clone or Failed MMO.

That is why FFXI was so important to us, it was in its own third category.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-03-19 13:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

At the moment, I think I'll maybe try FFXIV if I can see a break coming at work. Otherwise I'll likely stick to single player games for the immediate future.
 Valefor.Haydez
Server: Valefor
user: haydez
By Valefor.Haydez 2015-03-19 13:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think I'll play any MMOs. I tried FFXIV and just couldn't get into it. I just kept comparing everything to FFXI instead. I really wish they'd sell it off for a 3rd party to manage or something. Oh well. :-(
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-19 13:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
My problem with alot of MMOs is that they aren't social. Like, not at all.

FFXIV in many ways is a HUGE improvement on XI. But the social aspect is completely bunk. There is no time for banter anywhere and the rando grouping system assures you every *** under the sun will attempt to ruin your day by being ***.

So lets say you're this new player and you're EXCITED to play some FINAL FANTASY. HOORAH!

You get into a FC and quickly find there is no reason to group with anyone. Everyones doing their own thing, there is no need to 'lend a hand' because DF 'dat ***!

You got this sweet FC house you paid money and crafted items for. COOL STORY MAN. Then you realize its essentially worthless as you'll be spending little if any time there. That Garuda chair looks pretty *** sweet 'tho.

Two weeks after any content drops you better be a goddamn dance pro because its EXPERTS *** ONLY for these runs. If you want to learn how to play? GET OUT OF MY PARTY. Worse still, because the game is an individualists orgasm, you're expected to know everything and no one explains anything!

Unless you wipe the raid not knowing the mechanics. THEN *** YOU Asavgkerwsbgarvotwqrbatbwob. Go watch an Encyclopedia Britannica length MrHappy video you scrub.

And that's FFXI: A Realm Reborn in a nutshell. Stay tuned next time where I'll explain how the games economy is worthless.
That pretty much sums up how I feel about XIV, except I'm even guilty of asking for experienced players to do content. Reason being, if your group doesn't clear it in 1-2 attempts, someone important will drop, usually the tank or healer, that took you 2 hours to find, and now the whole group just disbanded.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 13:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
My problem with alot of MMOs is that they aren't social. Like, not at all.

FFXIV in many ways is a HUGE improvement on XI. But the social aspect is completely bunk. There is no time for banter anywhere and the rando grouping system assures you every *** under the sun will attempt to ruin your day by being ***.

So lets say you're this new player and you're EXCITED to play some FINAL FANTASY. HOORAH!

You get into a FC and quickly find there is no reason to group with anyone. Everyones doing their own thing, there is no need to 'lend a hand' because DF 'dat ***!

You got this sweet FC house you paid money and crafted items for. COOL STORY MAN. Then you realize its essentially worthless as you'll be spending little if any time there. That Garuda chair looks pretty *** sweet 'tho.

Two weeks after any content drops you better be a goddamn dance pro because its EXPERTS *** ONLY for these runs. If you want to learn how to play? GET OUT OF MY PARTY. Worse still, because the game is an individualists orgasm, you're expected to know everything and no one explains anything!

Unless you wipe the raid not knowing the mechanics. THEN *** YOU Asavgkerwsbgarvotwqrbatbwob. Go watch an Encyclopedia Britannica length MrHappy video you scrub.

And that's FFXI: A Realm Reborn in a nutshell. Stay tuned next time where I'll explain how the games economy is worthless.
That pretty much sums up how I feel about XIV, except I'm even guilty of asking for experienced players to do content. Reason being, if your group doesn't clear it in 1-2 attempts, someone important will drop, usually the tank or healer, that took you 2 hours to find, and now the whole group just disbanded.

The game really isn't like this, theres loads of shouts for Training groups who dont expect you to know your ***.

And yes watch a damn video that shows you how to do something, it only shows you, you still have to then use the knowledge and gets used to it.

I'm not spending my time for 7 hours teaching someone too lazy to watch a 5~7minute video.

Thats Life get used to this idea.

I do agree though that if you do anything in DF, it sucks however I've done most things with my FC, so perhaps you just joined ***Company's
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-03-19 14:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I will say that when I came back to XIV briefly during the holiday season, people did seem a bit less dickish.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-19 14:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

During the first two weeks after a content update it is.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-19 14:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

During the first two weeks after a content update it is.
I'm fine with derping around a bit till people figure stuff out. Oddly, there are still people who don't know how WoD works yet.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-19 14:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Reason being, if your group doesn't clear it in 1-2 attempts, someone important will drop, usually the tank or healer, that took you 2 hours to find, and now the whole group just disbanded.

Sounds like oldschool FFXI exp parties.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-19 14:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
I do agree though that if you do anything in DF, it sucks

I've done most things with my FC, so perhaps you just joined ***Company's

The game really isn't like this, theres loads of shouts for Training groups who dont expect you to know your ***.

I'm not spending my time for 7 hours teaching someone too lazy to watch a 5~7minute video.

The game isn't like that for you because you are within the security of your company. You know each other's play style. You can trust them in a way you never could with someone you just invited through a DF group.

The game is completely different if you don't have a FC to do content with you, to get you through the content while 95% of the server is stuck trying to clear it.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-19 14:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This is backwards. Those videos are on average 20 minutes long and it takes only a few lines to explain someone what to do.
[+]
By Mookies 2015-03-19 14:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

14 suffers from the same issues WoW does. Except they went to the extremes with content gating and stagnation of content updates.

14 also had no idea how to properly do ILVL gear, they were at one point releasing hard mode dungeons that rewarded ILVL gear that was already below the essentially free "point" gear you get from accruing points from completing dungeons (wow system).

They flat out copied WoW in many aspects, including the boring combat, except they somehow made it even more boring.

Warrior's can't dd, tanks onry, minor thing to complain about but I was kind of mad about that. Personal grievance.

I try to go back to 14 every once in a while but I get the feeling that it's an ocean with the depth of a puddle every time I try. The game looks pretty and all, but there isnt much behind it, especially when it comes to combat.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-19 14:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Mookies said: »
14 suffers from the same issues WoW does. Except they went to the extremes with content gating and stagnation of content updates.

14 also had no idea how to properly do ILVL gear, they were at one point releasing hard mode dungeons that rewarded ILVL gear that was already below the essentially free "point" gear you get from accruing points from completing dungeons (wow system).

They flat out copied WoW in many aspects, including the boring combat, except they somehow made it even more boring.

Warrior's can't dd, tanks onry, minor thing to complain about but I was kind of mad about that. Personal grievance.

I try to go back to 14 every once in a while but I get the feeling that it's an ocean with the depth of a puddle every time I try. The game looks pretty and all, but there isnt much behind it, especially when it comes to combat.
Warriors can be pretty powerful though. Also, even though your stats are limited to like 8 attributes, vs the 3000 XI had, it still gets pretty complicated knowing what gear is better than something else at times.

I also like how you fight, it's just I don't like how enemies fight. They are full with cheap instant kill mechanics when you get high enough in coil.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 14:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I do agree though that if you do anything in DF, it sucks

I've done most things with my FC, so perhaps you just joined ***Company's

The game isn't like that for you because you are within the security of your company. You know each other's play style. You can trust them in a way you never could with someone you just invited through a DF group.

The game is completely different if you don't have a FC to do content with you, to get you through the content while 95% of the server is stuck trying to clear it.

Join a better FC?

I'm not going to argue that having a good LS/FC makes your life easier, because thats the same anywhere and rather common sense.

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
This is backwards. Those videos are on average 20 minutes long and it takes only a few lines to explain someone what to do.

Some Videos are 20 minutes Long.

YouTube Video Placeholder

T5 Guide 10 mins 36 seconds, is not 20 minutes, don't use the longest video you can think of in a one off as "the norm" when it's clearly not.

Picked T5 because alot of people struggle on it, and it is the introductory really for Bahamuts Coil.

Really if you want to do this, you will undoubtedly have 5 minutes to at least watch part of the video, you can ask "what should I avoid" but really if you don't want to ask and have people be funny with you, go with your FC or watch a short ish video which you will more than have time for while looking for group/members.

It's not really bad compared to ff11's guides or doing stuff where you spent 4 hours with your party flag up.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-19 14:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

People don't want to be stuck doing content only with their FC. This is an MMO, not a Join an 8 man group to do content with them, and only them, for the rest of the time you play this game.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-03-19 14:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Combat in XIV is far more dynamic and engaging than it ever was in XI.

XI combat consists of standing in place auto-attacking while waiting for TP to WS and using abilities as they come off cool down. That's it, with the exception of a few classes like Thief that have positionals.

And Warrior DPS is on par with Bard DPS. Marauder has even higher DPS potential.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-19 14:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

People don't want to be stuck doing content only with their FC. This is an MMO, not a Join an 8 man group to do content with them, and only them, for the rest of the time you play this game.
For one, your FC was very small, I think I saw like 21-22 members before you quit logging on. You get much more variety with a bigger FC. I've even gotten to meet new people and have started talking to them more.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 14:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Warriors can be pretty powerful though. Also, even though your stats are limited to like 8 attributes, vs the 3000 XI had, it still gets pretty complicated knowing what gear is better than something else at times.

I also like how you fight, it's just I don't like how enemies fight. They are full with cheap instant kill mechanics when you get high enough in coil.

Warriors are Actually Overpowered in 14.

CONSIDERING BALANCED PARTIES SCREW UP BADLY ON THIS! Knowing a strat means you don't need Heals Really shows people up.

Video Link:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-19 14:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't want to be stuck doing content only with my FC, because I can't trust someone I invite from DF to stay and complete the objective without leaving to join another group that might be different.
 Seraph.Koroma
Server: Seraph
user: Koroma
By Seraph.Koroma 2015-03-19 14:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV doesn't play anything at all like Final Fantasy XI, No MMO does that's the problem. Hell i can't even think of another MMO that doesn't have a hotbar except for a few action based MMO's.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-03-19 14:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't want to be stuck doing content only with my FC, because I can't trust someone I invite from DF to stay and complete the objective without leaving to join another group that might be different.

When we do stuff it's usually like half FC, half DF

That way it's not so bad if someone leaves because it won't really cause a chain reaction lol
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-19 14:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

They still leave though.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-03-19 14:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Um, the ilvl 80/90 gear from hard mode dungeons and hard mode primals is useful for fresh 50's. It helps to get your average ilvl up to clear ilvl requirements.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 14:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

They still leave though.

That's life.

That in ff11, I won't stay in a group that wipe in Delve, because frankly the content isn't new and I can solo half of it as SCH, why would I waste my time because someone:

A. Failed to get SKirmish Gear.
B. Sucks at their job.
C. Can't step sideways or Stay in 5 yalms to avoid Dieing in one hit.

That's in every game , dont try and make out its ff14 only, or even WOW.

14 actually encourages you to help new peeps to some degree by giving bonus to rewards, but no one wants to spend 7 hours wasting their time because for example someone doesn't know the strat and couldn't watch a 10 minute video.

I'd call the person who refuses to watch it, an arsehole and blacklist them for wasting 7 other peoples time.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 14:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Really if someone wants to learn the strat join the "Training " shouts where people expect to fail, after that if you sucked watch a video, people are too keen to run before they can walk in everything these days.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 13 14 15