Asura.Ccl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-04-21 15:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
Bismarck.Zubuis said: »
Therefore if you could kill Fafnir with 10 people, bringing an extra person didnt hurt you.

>.>

Unless that extra person had no clue what to do and stood behind Fafnir causing your hole party to die.

I think we all get your point, but this was a bad example.

I have been involved with carrying people through content and I have been carried through content in my lesser days. It is definitely easier to get people to complete something in FFXI than FFXIV.. but FFXIV still feels easier overall.

*EDIT

Come to think of it.. even when selling delve clears we would demand that the buyer not do anything so they didn't mess the run up. Just because you can carry people doesn't mean that a group of average players can clear all of the content in FFXI.

XIV is easier when you know the fight script; it feels harder at first when it's brand new.

Also XI was "harder" cause it has much more depth on the gearing paradigm so it took longer to figure what was best.
[+]
 Bismarck.Zubuis
Server: Bismarck
user: Zubuis
By Bismarck.Zubuis 2015-04-21 15:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Therefore if you could kill Fafnir with 10 people, bringing an extra person didnt hurt you.

>.>

Unless that extra person had no clue what to do and stood behind Fafnir causing your hole party to die.

I have been involved with carrying people through content and I have been carried through content in my lesser days. It is definitely easier to get people to complete something in FFXI than FFXIV.. but FFXIV still feels easier overall.

*EDIT

Come to think of it.. even when selling delve clears we would demand that the buyer not do anything so they didn't mess the run up. Just because you can carry people doesn't mean that a group of average players can clear all of the content in FFXI.

Maybe its a bad example but all you had to do was tell that person to stand on fafnirs front feet, NOT MOVE, and sing songs.

In FF14, you have to tell people to go to youtube, watch the video 3 times and memorize it. And average person stil might trouble with the mechanics.

>.>

*EDIT

I dont think its really a bad example. For fafnir all you had to do was tell a new person to sit on its front feet, NOT MOVE, and sing their songs. Put up stoneskin after hurricane wing and help with cures. Its a MMO so communication is still needed, but all it took was 1 minute of communication assuming the person could read.

In FF14, you have to tell a person to go watch a youtube video for a fight, watch it 3 times and memorize it. And an average person whos never experienced the fight is still probably going to die even after doing that because a frightening red circle on the ground touched their toenail.
 Quetzalcoatl.Senyn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senyn
By Quetzalcoatl.Senyn 2015-04-21 16:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

assuming the person could read.

Assuming people that play ffxi can read, that was your mistake.

I've got no dog in the fight for 14 vs 11, but having someone watch youtube (like they do everyday anyway) for a battle strat is ALOT easier than assuming someone can read.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-04-21 19:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I've chosen WoW as my replacement because I can have this as my Hunter pet:

Which is about the same as having this for BST:
[+]
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-04-21 20:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

simplely put there is nothing now a days that will or can replace 11. but as a way to keep my 11 fix going i cant wait for the app game. Just the one thing making me sadly hope it dies when it is being made is the maplestory company is working on it. I do not think they will do it wrong i just cant see someone from the outside understanding this game we love for so many years.
 Sylph.Kawar
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-04-21 20:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »

>.>

*EDIT

XIV is easier when you know the fight script; it feels harder at first when it's brand new.

Also XI was "harder" cause it has much more depth on the gearing paradigm so it took longer to figure what was best.
Are you High XIV is not hard in any way. I cant wait for next month that is one of the last big big updates for 11.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-04-21 22:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Difficulty in FFXI is almost entirely based on dice rolls and how much you can overbalance your side vs the boss NMs. If you can increase your stats to the point that they overpower the boss NM's stats, then suddenly it seems "easy". If you can't do that, then it seems "hard". There is very little room for battle mechanics because SE's developers have no f*cking clue how to do that properly, they rely too much on random number generation and giant 360 degree AOE attacks. It seems they got a little bit smarter in FFXIV but there should be more to battle mechanics then dancing around a battlefield.
[+]
 Sylph.Zenairis
user: Altairis
By Sylph.Zenairis 2015-04-21 22:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I will be watching Xenoblade Chronicles X and possibly the new White Knight Chronicles. Although, I am currently playing on a private server that's based on FFXI's ToAU era that actually has a fairly modest and active server population.

Edit: I haven't been able to find a replacement for the original FFXI in all my years of playing it. the only other game I enjoyed close to as much as this was killed off by NCsoft.
By missdivine 2015-04-23 21:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the population on ffxi servers? I don't want to pay that ridiculous fee to just check the numbers, but i guess it got worse than ever with the mass ban. I would like to know the status on levi and lakshmi.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-23 21:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

365 on Lak currently. I know not what this mass ban people keep speaking of is about, but I'm gonna guess from the people I've seen on Lak complaining about getting banned by these "mass bans", that SE finally grew a pair and did the right thing.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-04-24 00:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe not quite an mmo.... But fable legends looked OK until I read windows 10 only (no thanks). Thats too bad, sounded kinda fun.
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-04-24 02:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
They should announce FFXI is ending more often I haven't seen this many active users in a long time !

And ppl that quit 2+ years ago show too :D
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-04-24 06:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

365 is hardly a healthy server population even for offpeak times.

I hit 50 in ffxiv and spent some time unlocking random dungeons and doing level 50 quests. Going to start running hard mode instances or perhaps i will finish off CNJ tomorrow.

Over the last few nights I have been facing kind of a weird state where my gear is perfectly sufficient to tank the monsters I am fighting (no acc problems, normal looking damage, etc.) but it is woefully inadequate to hold hate off people in high ilevel gear. The lack of level sync makes this a problem. As such, I am probably going to end up unable to play my role in the next few dungeons until I get some drops. It is kind of a shitty endgame transition that would have been solved by i level sync.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-24 06:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »

I hit 50 in ffxiv and spent some time unlocking random dungeons and doing level 50 quests. Going to start running hard mode instances or perhaps i will finish off CNJ tomorrow.

Over the last few nights I have been facing kind of a weird state where my gear is perfectly sufficient to tank the monsters I am fighting (no acc problems, normal looking damage, etc.) but it is woefully inadequate to hold hate off people in high ilevel gear. The lack of level sync makes this a problem. As such, I am probably going to end up unable to play my role in the next few dungeons until I get some drops. It is kind of a shitty endgame transition that would have been solved by i level sync.
Some dungeons are synced at ilv 110, I don't remember if there are syncs lower than that.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-24 06:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Upgrade your weapon as soon as possible and that will help a lot, generally the cheapest way to increase your enmity generation the most
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-04-24 06:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Zenairis said: »
I will be watching Xenoblade Chronicles X and possibly the new White Knight Chronicles. Although, I am currently playing on a private server that's based on FFXI's ToAU era that actually has a fairly modest and active server population.

Edit: I haven't been able to find a replacement for the original FFXI in all my years of playing it. the only other game I enjoyed close to as much as this was killed off by NCsoft.

DDO by turbine does a decent enough job of it. You have an amazing variety of character builds there is enough flavor and options present that you can still have uniqueness without sacrificing run efficiency. Melee DPS, tanks, magic DPS, buffing, crowd control and trap removal all play a part in each dungeon or event. There are at ton of bonus treasure and XP you get from completing challenges mid run and lots of boss fights rely on non stat related battle mechanics.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2015-04-24 07:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »

>.>

*EDIT

Are you High XIV is not hard in any way. I cant wait for next month that is one of the last big big updates for 11.
Sylph.Kawar said: »

>.>

*EDIT

Then why less than 5% of EU/NA population have cleared endgame if it's' not hard in any way?
FFXI had some hard, challenging and fun contents that SE nerfed/messed up. It was Neo nyzul, new salvage, Legion at their prime and Delve before they augmented the stats and ilvl. Otherwise you just had to overgear to beat the contents.
Hell even last tier of voidwatch was hard and fun. Now I feel like you just need to throw some brds and sams at everything and it's'a win.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-04-24 08:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Upgrade your weapon as soon as possible and that will help a lot, generally the cheapest way to increase your enmity generation the most

I am using an I level 52 sword now or something. I turned in the weapon for Excalibur. Just need to do the fight. I was going to do that one first and then head to some of the lower level dungeons.
 Fenrir.Shinun
Server: Fenrir
user: Shinun
By Fenrir.Shinun 2015-04-24 08:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I am using an I level 52 sword now or something. I turned in the weapon for Excalibur. Just need to do the fight. I was going to do that one first and then head to some of the lower level dungeons.

Early stages of Excalibur won't help much either. Low ilvl sync is coming in expansion but, until then the quickest method to being able to hold hate is to run the Crystal Tower series. Can get some I80 (Labyrinth), I100 (Syrcus), I120 (World of Darkness) gear, Syrcus/Labyrinth also have low Ilvl requirements of I50 for Labyrinth, I70 for Syrcus, I90 for WoD. You can also get the items needed to make I110 Weapons from Syrcus, and I130 Weapons from WoD. I advise this route mostly since your in alliances with multiple tanks low ilvl tanks won't have to tank the mob.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-04-24 08:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

How is FFXIV now anyway? I was on the beta for part 2 but the whole armory system really felt weird to me. How does the character class balance feel like when playing?
 Bahamut.Menty
Server: Bahamut
user: mental
By Bahamut.Menty 2015-04-24 09:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I play this on the Tablet or Mobile.

Summoners-war

It's Social, quite fun with decent game mechanics.

It filled the hole FFXI left.

Global server, channel 420, Friendlygalka if you need an add, cheers.
By Cajj 2015-04-24 09:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

After playing XI on and off for years since the NA launch and XIV ARR for almost a year I think a fusion of the two games while coming a middle ground would be a prefect replacement. Or a MMO based off Log Horizon
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-24 09:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Get a Burtgang/Augmented Magitek sword (tomestone and carbontwine from weekly tower) while you upgrade your relic (if you want to), will make it MUCH easier to hold hate.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-24 12:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

For tank, the weapon's ilvl is THE most important aspect, since it directly relates to the amount of hate you generate with abilities and the like. Your weapon will always be your main priority on upgrading because of that reason.

At your point in the game, I would suggest possibly farming Ifrit HM for the ilvl 65 sword he can drop, or even doing a few rounds of Frontline PvP / Hunts to gather enough soldiery and points to do as Drac said, and get ilvl 100 weathered Burtgang. The second Crystal Tower drops the tomestones required to trade in for Burt, but I also recall you can purchase those with points from Hunts as well.

Asura.Saevel said: »
How is FFXIV now anyway? I was on the beta for part 2 but the whole armory system really felt weird to me. How does the character class balance feel like when playing?

The armory system is good and bad. It works since specific jobs use specific gear, but it is also bad because that doesn't allow variety. FF games have usually had a few different weapon types each class can utilize, while you're stuck with specific type in this game, which is causing some issues on what each one gets assigned. Red Mage uses swords traditionally, while this game has them set to PLD, meaning all your good swords will likely be a different type of sword, while Red may become a rapier front line caster. Or Dark Knight using Great Sword, when in prior games they used sword and shield, sans XI, which was big on scythes for promotional artwork.

As far as how each class functions, they do a good enough job of being unique from one another.

Tanks
WAR - Great DPS and multitarget hate, but eats healer MP
PLD - Great survival abilities and best single target tank

Healers
WHM - Great burst healing and has Holy, which is spammable AoE Stun
SCH - Fairies can main heal on trash content while you DPS, or makes you harder to kill in PvP or other content in a pinch.

Ranged DPS
BLM - Yoshi-P's personal favorite, and it shows. You wield the arcane and ain't nothing but a bad tank gonna ruin your day. Great DPS all around. Seriously, it's great. AoE or single target? It's already dead.
SMN - DoT DPS with the aid of pets, who can use abilities to enhance your DoTs. Has a Ranged / Melee / Tank pet so far, getting more with Heavensward.
BRD - Has songs that most people never seem to do in DF / Pugs, which can increase party running speed / TP regen / MP Refresh, at the cost of the BRD's DPS and TP. Has some decent AoE as well as single target, and can kite while DPSing, just not so well as levels scale.

Melee DPS
NIN - Has Goad, which is regen TP for a party member, and lots of damage options with ninjitsu, and fairly good consistent and burst damage output
MNK - Top DPS when geared and played right, last I recall. Lots of positioning and skill required to play properly.
DRG - Bursty DPS

At the end of the day, tanks gonna tank, healers gonna heal, and DPS gonna DPS. Usually for healers and tanks, you want one of each since they compliment each other so nicely, while DPS is usually stacked towards range to avoid overcuring from healers, and a single melee DPS to act as single target Limit Break user. Doesn't have to be like that, it just is a very efficient method of playing the game.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-04-24 13:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
FFXI Replacement MMO

Get on my level!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-24 13:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Not everyone knows the glory about playing as the microwave class.
[+]
By Masterbuyer 2015-04-24 14:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I play Dragons of Atlantis: Heirs on Android

and no it's not a replacement for mmorpg for pc ><
By missdivine 2015-04-25 00:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

365 wow
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-25 00:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Your reply is so late, that Lak is now 642. We be doing it like the Rarabs in West Sarutabaruta with our population.

It also ties into the not so hidden secret that XI's playerbase has aged, and the time / day of the week impact player numbers. I blame all them dang kids and careers and soccer.
 Bahamut.Menty
Server: Bahamut
user: mental
By Bahamut.Menty 2015-04-25 16:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I left in September of last year after solid 10 years, wonderful memories.

As Chilzen already stated, the player base has aged and life had moved on.

On topic, for convenience I play Summoners war on my Iphone / Tablet.

It's really quite good, I enjoy the game mechanics, it's social with Guild forums and Guild wars which are casual in format but take team work and strategy.

Have a browse if interested.

I'm on the global server, I hang out in 420 as the stoners are less childish and generally chilled. Add Friendlygalka if I can help.

All the best FFXI peeps,
Menty
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15