2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI Replacement MMO
FFXI Replacement MMO
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15
By rkhan 2015-04-25 16:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
How is FFXIV now anyway? I was on the beta for part 2 but the whole armory system really felt weird to me. How does the character class balance feel like when playing?

The jobs are well balanced. You could make an argument for SMN being a bit underpowered, but it can still pump out adequate DPS with the right rotation and pet management.

WHM isn't quite as good as SCH in the absolute end game, but it's still a safer option to roll with a WHM and SCH over two SCH's.

WAR and PLD can both main tank and off tank, and PLD actually pumps out good DPS if it's in Sword Oath. PLD has the benefit of having more skills to use to avoid tank-busters, and is therefore generally relegated to MT whilst the WAR deals damage and helps with adds as the OT.

BLM is really strong on groups, and strong at single target, though you are limited by how good your tank is, and how many procs you get. A lot of BLM's are bad at AOE rotation and you'll notice the difference between a BLM using flare as much as possible, and one not using flare much at all.

BRD is pretty essential for all end game content, it has good DPS and has a really versatile skillset, which results in people wanting it for most content. You could probably do without it, but it's a great job for buffing mages and keeping TP high in long fights. You won't find many end game groups running without a BRD.

NIN is really versatile too, but you don't see too many in raid groups, mainly because a NIN with lag provides a lot less DPS than the other DDs. When a NIN is played right though, it has a really versatile moveset and can be really bursty. I actually think NIN is a bit underrated, I think it's a bit OP at times.

MNK is the king of DPS if you play it right and the battle isn't particularly mobile. It takes a bit of practice because it's heavily positional based, but when it's perfected it has a lot of DPS. It only really provides DPS though, so if you're looking for a more versatile job, MNK isn't really for you.

DRG is a bursty version of MNK. It has a ridiculously strong opener and is really good at closing distance. I don't rate DRG too highly tbh. I think it can work, and great DRGs pump out really good damage, but I just don't really like it. It's really good at AOE though.
By Voren 2015-04-25 19:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladins should stance swap when off-tanking so that they can be as close to second place on the threat meter as possible. Things happen, and if the MT goes down you won't have to work near as much to keep the DPS from being face-raped.

I'm now leveling LNC to 34 to get blood for blood and after that looking at my DPS options. MNK and NIN are both OP imo. NIN will beat out MNK if MNK is unable to keep up stacks and having to reposition constantly where as NIN's DPS isn't based on position.

BRD is a more worry-free DPS option and a pre-formed party shouldn't be rolling without one imo. I've ran out of TP on PLD while tanking and it's nice to have a BRD hit with Paeon then goad.
By missdivine 2015-04-29 06:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
Your reply is so late, that Lak is now 642. We be doing it like the Rarabs in West Sarutabaruta with our population.

It also ties into the not so hidden secret that XI's playerbase has aged, and the time / day of the week impact player numbers. I blame all them dang kids and careers and soccer.
did you log on JP prime time? /blush.jpg
By Masterbuyer 2015-05-05 11:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well they could just buff final fantasy XI so that they have a dungeon system in place like any other mmo successor have done which is lacking here in this game.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-05 11:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you talking about, this game is full of dungeons.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-05-05 12:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, iLevel 106 PLD now. Two fights from the end of story mode, done many quests. Beat WoD, opened SCOB, etc. Still need to run a few more dungeons to see them and upgrade my iLevel so I can do FCOB. Haven't subscribed yet. I will likely hit 50 goldsmith tonight. I'm only 25 or 26 miner for reasons I'll outline (but it's my main job because I'm galka).

FFXIV has some failings, but overall I'd say it's an improvement on FFXI for me.

Failings:
1) It has a more active battle system than FFXI, which means your hands are never free. This is engaging, but means that there's essentially no way to communicate during battle. They should have charged another dollar or two a month, partnered with Skype or someone, and provided a multichannel voice chat (multiple keybinds for say, party, tell, etc.)

2) Even if you could type during battle, you still can't send or receive tells during Duty. This is another major failing, because people spend a lot of time in Duty and you essentially can't privately communicate with your friends because either they're in duty or you're in duty.

3) Gear gap between 50 and real endgame is huge. This is really important for tanks, who can't do their job without passable gear, but it's the hardest to solve for melees because they generally have so much lotting competition. SE will hopefully reset this problem with Heavensward, although their design prevents them from slaying it completely.

4) Gathering classes are boring. They did such a good job with crafting and such a bad job with gathering jobs, which is confusing because they could have used their own crafting jobs as a template.

5) Weekly vs. JP Midnight Daily vs. 4PM EST Daily vs. why does my challenge log reset on Tuesdays? vs. who the hell designed this? and timers are annoying. The upside is that I'm still a noob so I still have plenty of things to do, but I can see it getting cumbersome as time drags on.

6) I find the majority of FFXIV endgame fights are basically a Simon Says game where Simon doesn't actually say and instead just stares at you imploringly then slaps you if you fail to comply. Once you learn the fights they're easy, but they are unintuitive enough that you either need to watch a guide or spend some time dying to figure out their mechanisms. (Example: Twintania)

So far my favorite fights are Odin and Crysalis, although I haven't beaten either yet. My Duty Finder pickup groups keep failing the DPS checks (and/or sentience checks). I particularly like Odin because it's so straightforward.
[+]
By nerz 2015-05-05 12:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amusing how the same people who used to ride the FFXI > FFXIV bandwagon are now changing their tune because the end of FFXI is near. I remember seeing constant posts of you swearing you'd never play FFXIV and how much SE fails.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-05 12:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I dislike Odin primarily because he's a boring boss fight with that hard DPS check meaning that no matter how well everyone performs before the Zantet you're ***.

So essentially one loser can end the raid for you. Doesn't help Odin's loot is for the glams.

I'm a fan of Battle in the Big Keep.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-05-05 13:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I was never on the FFXI > FFXIV bandwagon, but what you're thinking about was this post. I'll note that the OP of this thread says:

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
FFXIV: Heavensword - Themepark expansion, now with flying! I'll probably try XIV at some point, but if half of what I've heard about it is true then I doubt I'll stay.

I don't think my posts have been very inconsistent and I still believe XIV will be flown into the ground with bad management decisions at some point, but I don't mind playing it casually for now.

Edit: I find Odin is kind of a check for both DPS and healers. It's just an HP check for tanks. I could have added this as a failing, but tanks don't need to have very competitive DPS in order to hold hate off DPS against a single target. You basically act like a DD that does worse damage and that's how you hold hate. I've been holding hate easily off most DPS since iLevel 90 or so. In group events the only people that occasionally take hate from me are other tanks. Warriors also seem to be much better at group tanking, so it's hard to hold hate over them in a group event (not that I have a reason to).

Battle of the Big Keep was funny, and I ended up duoing the last few % of Gilg with the other tank because everyone else had died. It was also fairly straightforward, but I think I went 1/1 on it so it wasn't that memorable for me.
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2015-05-05 13:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Once you learn the fights they're easy, but they are unintuitive enough that you either need to watch a guide or spend some time dying to figure out their mechanisms. (Example: Twintania)

when I played everyone complained an left if you didn't know mechanisms an said to watch video I hated that. I didn't want to watch the game being played I wanted to play it so I don't play it anymore don't want to watch everything before I do it
 Asura.Materdark
Server: Asura
By Asura.Materdark 2015-05-05 13:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
What are you talking about, this game is full of dungeons.

I mean dungeon system where it group you together so you have tank, healers,dps in final fantasy XI....
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-05 13:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that's how the game works. Plus support.
[+]
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-05-05 13:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that's how the game works. Plus support.

O.o talking about final fantasy XI there is no group system in place.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-05 13:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Me too. Welcome to the game. We have dungeons and class archetypes.
[+]
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-05-05 14:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Me too. Welcome to the game. We have dungeons and class archetypes.

That's why most players are leaving because not everyone is willing to /yell /shout for end game content which I spoken about this before. Most players just go AFK and see the "/yell" if they are interested they will join...
SE could have fixed this ages ago a group system in place for this game but now they are just milking us.

lol and you talking about final fantasy XIV ><
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-05-05 14:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

What you're asking for is Duty Finder, and Duty Finder is terrible. It's awesome for easy content, and completely useless for anything else.

It also depends on classes having pretty narrowly defined roles, which FFXI does not (and is in fact one of its tremendous strengths).
[+]
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-05-05 14:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
What you're asking for is Duty Finder, and Duty Finder is terrible. It's awesome for easy content, and completely useless for anything else.

Its not terrible, if it was most player would have left it ages ago that's with any other MMO that has that kind of feature in final fantasy XIV. I'm sorry not everyone will /shout /yell in final fantasy XI too do end game content and before you say ahh just join a linkshell that does it, You will find there are alot of elite linkshells and their standards are high lol
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-05-05 14:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Something can be popular and still be terrible.

Getting specific about XIV for a second: Duty Finder removes any need to interact with the other people in your group, and since it's cross server, you aren't going to see these people again, so you have zero motivation not to be a total asshat. (Some people are still nice! But there's zero incentive to be so.)

It does an excellent job of removing the social part of an MMO entirely, which in turns leads to a more toxic culture overall.
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2015-05-05 14:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a sort of bulletin system would be more suited to XI, like XIV's party finder or GW2's group finder. Otherwise, XI has too many different jobs with too many variations in what they do beyond just dps/tank/heal for a duty finder to effectively work imo.
[+]
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-05-05 14:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

moves any need to interact with the other people in your group, and since it's cross server, you aren't

Don't you think thats the same thing said for WoW game which has more then 8+ million subscribers, you have zero interaction in dungeons.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-05-05 14:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Party Finder would be nice! It'd basically be stickied shouts though, as the same people who won't /yell won't start a PF, either.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-05-05 14:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Materdark said: »
Don't you think thats the same thing said for WoW game which has more then 8+ million subscribers, you have zero interaction in dungeons.

I never said it wasn't popular. I said it was terrible, and it is, for exactly the reasons I laid out. It wouldn't work for XI anyway, because as Patrik and I both pointed out, FFXI's job system is too fluid and flexible to match reliably.
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2015-05-05 14:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Party Finder would be nice! It'd basically be stickied shouts though, as the same people who won't /yell won't start a PF, either.
Eh, I think it would promote a bit more things popping up. I always hated shouting largely because I didn't like sitting in front of the screen hitting shift, up, enter, over and over. As well as answering questions asked over and over in /tells that I could put in an ad.

But yea, in general it's just a nice little quality of life improvement.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-05-05 14:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It does an excellent job of removing the social part of an MMO entirely, which in turns leads to a more toxic culture overall.

I also blame the their battlesystem's communication-prohibiting design for those.

I mean, I did Guildleve roulette the other day on CNJ and got the Gilturtle one. For those of you that haven't played, the basic strategy is:
1) Fight starts where you have an Adamantoise and 5 adds.
2) You have to kill the adds and move the Adamantoise over to an NPC.
3) You then kill a Fire Elemental, interact with the NPC, and win before another wave of adds hits.

Our tank probably couldn't see what we were saying and didn't know the strategy because I ended up having to bounce the turtle over to the NPC using Fluid Aura. I'm guessing he's a controller player who accidentally tabbed to another log and couldn't figure out how to fix it.
[+]
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-05-05 14:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Materdark said: »

I never said it wasn't popular. I said it was terrible, and it is, for exactly the reasons I laid out. It wouldn't work for XI anyway, because as Patrik and I both pointed out, FFXI's job system is too fluid and flexible to match reliably.

which is why the game is slowly dying out ><
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-05 14:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Obvious troll.
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-05-05 14:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Obvious troll.
its called decision get use too it lol
Or if someone explain to me and the rest why players are leaving?
 Bismarck.Lizk
user: alucar
By Bismarck.Lizk 2015-05-05 14:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe you guys can stop with your nostalgia and move to XIV
 Bismarck.Valmur
user: Valmur
By Bismarck.Valmur 2015-05-05 14:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lizk said: »

Play both :3
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-05-05 14:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lizk said: »

Quote:
Play both :3

in due time lol till then i think i'm going to enjoy whats left of final fantasy XI.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15