user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 15:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Hey guys.
I'm new to the raid, mind going over the mechanics?
*** YOU *** *** *** *** DIARRHEA *** *** *** ***
*** TANK DOESNT *** *** THE *** RUN
Er, are we going to explain the fight?
*second tank runs in*
Ok...
*inevitable wipe due to not understanding mechanics*
LOOK *** THE *** *** *** *** OFFTANK *** SUCKS.
*Vote dismiss begins*
Guys, can we just stop and explain the raid?
*The Navel (Extreme) has ended*
*Limsa music plays*
Welp, that was productive.
Been playing since ARR release. Have not seen anything like that once.

Honestly it's limited to 'endgame' where endgame is EX and Coil. As a tank I've never seen anyone go ballistic in other content other than the usual whiners but once you sign up for EX or Coil? It gets bad.
So, the stuff I've been doing as soon as I got my relic zenith in 2.0? Still haven't seen anything like that.

I've never seen this either tbh.

Perhaps he's just playing with 1 ***.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2015-03-19 15:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 15:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

On A Side Note:

I just rage Quit a Dungeon because some Stupid *** Tank at 45 didn't know how to use flash to hold Hoardes of mobs, consideing its the first *** spell you get as PLD and your ONLY METHOD for tanking groups of mobs, and ya know a Healer has to toss you at least 1 bloody cure to stop you *** dieing after 20 seconds into a fight you've still not used Flash on.

Now I have to wait 30 mins to flag up again because I refuse to play with retards.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-03-19 15:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Did I say it didn't? It was presented as being the norm, when it most definitely is not.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-03-19 15:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
League of legends' community will put all other games' crappy communities to shame.

they are the champions of terrible.
LoL is just the perfect example of what some people have issues with XIV. The whole drop in / out system, you never stay and get to know anyone, become friends, etc, unless one or both of you make a huge effort to stay connected after a match.

Dropping in and out just lets people be who they really are, and not treat you a certain way because you're stuck together for hours. They can be an ***, do some douchey stuff, and leave happy to do it again, never seeing you again.

I'm not saying XIV is as bad as LOL >_> please don't think that. Just, when you have systems like DF and PF, where you are free to join and leave if you meet the entry requirements, there is no incentive for them to give you a chance to warm up as a group. You all might know how to do the fight 100%, but because you are all new to playing with each other, you might need a few tries to get to know each other and sync up with each others play styles.

That's why I hate seeing some random tank/healer leave after the second try. Unless the group has played together before, there is no way you all are on the same page unless the strategy is so simple, or you are all geared to a point where mistakes aren't that bad, that anyone can do it, like primals today.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 15:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

And just because you've experienced this doesn't make it the norm.

I.E people get raped, it isn't the norm.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-19 15:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I might just go back to playing this game instead:
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-19 15:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »

And just because you've experienced this doesn't make it the norm.

I.E people get raped, it isn't the norm.

And now for something completely unexpected !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-19 15:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I think I might just go back to playing this game instead:

Commie sympathizer !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-19 15:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Did I say it didn't? It was presented as being the norm, when it most definitely is not.

I'm not presenting it as the norm.

What I will say is that most PF content at this point want high ilvl, experienced speedruns of content. Most people shun soldiery peeps. There are very few training runs on my server and what they are for is usually FCOB. I'm not new to XIV but I take breaks and when you do, whatever content you miss becomes something you're expected to know.

So you can either make your own training runs or brave the DF where people will do exactly as I laid out above. I can imagine it's even worse for newer players who have no idea how to do the content.
[+]
By Wordspoken 2015-03-19 15:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no replacement for ffxi, imo. Reason being <job change>, There might be few mmos that have a similar system, but are otherwise lacking.

I don't like having to pick one class, I like trying different stuff out. Sure you can roll out another character, but it usually has downsides to it, like starting a level 1 n00b.
By cervelo84 2015-03-19 16:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

EQN will be the one mmo to rule them all, or so I hope.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-19 16:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Wordspoken said: »
There is no replacement for ffxi, imo. Reason being <job change>, There might be few mmos that have a similar system, but are otherwise lacking.

I don't like having to pick one class, I like trying different stuff out. Sure you can roll out another character, but it usually has downsides to it, like starting a level 1 n00b.
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-19 16:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If you like hardcore, play EVE.

You'll wish you were still playing a softcore game like XI.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-19 16:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe if you ask Zucker face he could fund your dream FFXI Reborn. Just enter your social security number home address and all your personal info !
 Bahamut.Caelestis
Server: Bahamut
user: Caelestis
By Bahamut.Caelestis 2015-03-19 16:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I havent played FFXI in what seems like half a year now, and although i did see that the next expansion scheduled to be released later this year will be the definite final expansion FFXI will ever get, will the game continue to get these monthly (or every 2~3 months, w/e it is now) patches/mini updateds that it has continued to get? If so, i dont really consider the game coming to a so-called "end"...the only issue will be how long (again, probably talking about more than a year from now, if not longer...depending on how good the expansion turns out to be) til ppl get bored of said mini-updates and start to finally realize there is just not more content to keep the majority of the player base happy.

Anyways, to get back to the topic of the OP, i dont know which, if any, OP out there (short of FFXI 14, which i havent played and dont really have an urge to do so) that will ever be as good to me as FFXI was/is...and i honestly dont know if thats a bad or good thing. I started playing FFXI during PS2 launch and i would never imagine that this game would appease to me as much as it has for the past 10 years or so.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-03-19 16:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you like hardcore, play EVE.

You'll wish you were still playing a softcore game like XI.

I played EvE a few years. Most people never go out and have fun in there and instead just chose to increase their ISK penis.
 Asura.Backstab
Server: Asura
user: backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2015-03-19 16:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

prob wont start playing another MMO any time soon. will get myself a xbone once fable legends or halo 5 comes out.

Focus on lvling up more in RL and then play FFVI or w/e in 30 years.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-19 17:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Backstab said: »
prob wont start playing another MMO any time soon. will get myself a xbone once fable legends or halo 5 comes out.

Focus on lvling up more in RL and then play FFVI or w/e in 30 years.

I'm boycotting Fable since the awful Fable 3.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-03-19 17:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
There is a looming darkness on the horizon. FFXI's time is drawing nigh. Where will you go?
Black Desert looks gorgeous but I lost faith in Korean MMOs.

Heavensward is, in history, the MMO expansion that has hyped me the least. It's basically just a more of the same with unimpressive scenery (except Ishgard, that city is unbelievably gorgeous).
They refused to apply any big change to the core element of the game, for good or for worse. The new jobs bear strange choices (DRK a tank? Mechanist? Astrologist? Where are the plethora of missing FF typical jobs that should come before those?) and avoided to fix the class/jobs discrepancies of the system by just making so the new ones won't have a class.
Cheap way to avoid fixing something broken.
I'm afraid of Flying mount (coming from WoW experience) and how they can change the levelling/questing experience, I also wonder how they will work in a game with zones... ungh

I dunno. FFXIV is a good game, but it's just what I want in a MMO. After getting to T13 with 2 Zodiacks I guess I've learned.
I might play it casually to enjoy the story which, despite being too hero-centric, I still like.

What I'll do? Or what I hope to do? Avoid playing any other MMO and hopefully focus on offline games and RL.
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2015-03-19 17:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think my next mmo will be 5+ years from now on a VR console.

honestly i'd even play ff14 VR first person if they made it happen.

make it happen pls :Q
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-03-19 17:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
League of legends' community will put all other games' crappy communities to shame.

they are the champions of terrible.
LoL is just the perfect example of what some people have issues with XIV. The whole drop in / out system, you never stay and get to know anyone, become friends, etc, unless one or both of you make a huge effort to stay connected after a match.

Dropping in and out just lets people be who they really are, and not treat you a certain way because you're stuck together for hours. They can be an ***, do some douchey stuff, and leave happy to do it again, never seeing you again.

I'm not saying XIV is as bad as LOL >_> please don't think that. Just, when you have systems like DF and PF, where you are free to join and leave if you meet the entry requirements, there is no incentive for them to give you a chance to warm up as a group. You all might know how to do the fight 100%, but because you are all new to playing with each other, you might need a few tries to get to know each other and sync up with each others play styles.

That's why I hate seeing some random tank/healer leave after the second try. Unless the group has played together before, there is no way you all are on the same page unless the strategy is so simple, or you are all geared to a point where mistakes aren't that bad, that anyone can do it, like primals today.
While I agree with you, it's more complicated than you think.

On one side you have a bad system that isn't helping and on the other you have a new mindset developed.

To be blunt: is there really a point to socialize in FFXIV?
Answer: there is absolutely none.

There is only one thing that socializing will bring you, and it's headaches. Not for everyone mind you, but for most people, it'll be headaches. FFXIV is designed in such a way that people can clear the whole content on release with pick ups, or small number of friends.
Therefore, you don't need to socialize to reach any of your objective. You just have to play, that's it. Whether it's George Kek or Top Michel that is on your team, they have an equal chance of getting the job done, and the job will be done at the end of the day.

And the thing is, if the game wasn't designed like that, it would have never made the money it's making.

Asura.Sechs said: »
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
There is a looming darkness on the horizon. FFXI's time is drawing nigh. Where will you go?
Black Desert looks gorgeous but I lost faith in Korean MMOs.
My only issue with Korean MMOs is the censorship. I understand not wanting to show something too sexy to kids under 13, it's normal, but when you understand that MMOs (especially Koreans, 100% of them) are aimed at 30yos NEET/who have money to spend, it's just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to remove what sells the game.

I forgot which one it is but NCSoft is currently localizing a MMO for the West and they're butchering the sexiness of the game with heavy censorship. While I don't get *** for video game characters, I'm not really fond of censorship when it's not really needed. I don't think any of those games are below 16.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2015-03-19 17:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to try out Dragonball: Xenoverse but that's not really considered an MMO isn't it? Just a lot of players in a lobby and going off to fight each other in the arena or some fecal matter like that.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-03-19 19:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Censorship is bad in general in all media and I'm always against it, period. But personally it doens't bother me much in the examples you made, or at least I view it as a secondary issue.
It's something that makes me mad, not something that makes me want to avoid a certain game, to explain it better.

My issues with Korean games are others. First the way they handle support post launch, especially outside of Korea.
Secondly their lack of ideas to make sustainable MMO environments.
It's like they act randomly, like "let's see how things go this way", like they have no clear and grand plans because they've focused too much on the graphic engine and the gameplay (two aspects where they often reach very high levels).

I never got those feelings from games like WoW, FFXIV, FFXI, partially I could name Rift I guess.
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-19 20:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

A) No more Updates after Nov 2015
B) Unlockables in Grandmaster from FFXI achievements
C) PS2 + XBOX360 support killed off
D) No port to Next Gen
E) iphone FFXI for newbs that don't need updates

Next MMO? That's a good question cuz this one is officially toast.
For me FFXI is the First and the Last. FFXIV didn't live up to expectations.
[+]
 Sylph.Arckain
Server: Sylph
user: Arck
By Sylph.Arckain 2015-03-20 03:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know where people get this idea that FFXIV community is made up of only elite ***, who will constantly shun every mistake that is made. Yeah you run into A-holes from time to time, but that's every game. If I had a nickel for every *** I ran into in ffxi through the years I played, I'd be rich. Also the progression and grind is a 1000 times more forgiving in FFXIV than it is in FFXI. You can miss a couple patches come back go only find a guide and what to do and be caught quick. In FFXI in your disappeared for while forget jumping into any current content time to hit that grind train through several outdated raids or farm 10000 NM for items that one had to goddamn time of day to help with, they were too busy having shout wars in Jueno. Not to bash on FFXI I loved that game for many years. but its well outlived its lifespan and it did not age well.

If your expectations of FFXIV is its going to be FFXI 2.0 you will be disappointed. It's only similiar in names sake.

If you haven't played in a while or not sure if its the game for you. Check the ffxiv reddit. There are tons of "Why should I play this game?" threads where people will literally tell you everything the game has to offer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/
[+]
By maldini 2015-03-20 05:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

everyone who says FFXI is/was their last MMO clearly isn't taking everything into consideration...

With Virtual Reality MMO's (4/5th Gen MMOs) and Occulus Rift, there is no way I'm going to believe that the child in you isn't excited about this.

Just wait for FFXVI or FFXVII to be announced as an VRRPGMMO (Virtual reality RPG MMO). I bet at least 90% of the people here will be screaming "TAKE MY MONEY".

Be sentimental about XI, but don't for a moment think the future is going to be bad - on the contrary, there's going to be some amazing games coming out in the next 2-5 years.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-03-20 05:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If there is one thing to avoid, it's checking Reddit. That's literally worse than the OFs, which takes some seriously mentally unstable people to accomplish.

maldini said: »
everyone who says FFXI is/was their last MMO clearly isn't taking everything into consideration...

With Virtual Reality MMO's (4/5th Gen MMOs) and Occulus Rift, there is no way I'm going to believe that the child in you isn't excited about this.

Just wait for FFXVI or FFXVII to be announced as an VRRPGMMO (Virtual reality RPG MMO). I bet at least 90% of the people here will be screaming "TAKE MY MONEY".

Be sentimental about XI, but don't for a moment think the future is going to be bad - on the contrary, there's going to be some amazing games coming out in the next 2-5 years.
I can say it now, as of 2013, the games planned to be released by 2020 featured no proper MMO. It may have changed in the past year, I have no idea, this kind of information is kept secret "usually".

People may exaggerate, but there is a part of truth.

I'll give you my own example: started with Phantasy Star Online in 2002, switched to FFXI in 2004 when it came out in EU. Played a bit of GW, didn't make quit FFXI, played a bit of Aion, SWTOR and TERA, didn't make me quit FFXI.
I quit FFXI one day and I played other MMOs which allowed for easy access, such as TERA, GWII and CS: GO.

Was there a game that hooked me like FFXI did? Nope, absolutely none bar League of Legends, but 2 years of LoL do not compare to 10 of FFXI. Will there ever be another game that hook me like FFXI did? Unlikely the older I get.

I think that everyone has had this game, whether it's a MMO or not (more than one for the older people), that hooked them in a way that no other game ever will. I had my Smash Bros 64 phase, Super Tennis, CVS2/Garou, F-Zero X, Counter Strike, then FFXI and now LoL/CS: GO. Some people may have GW, WoW, Aion and so on.
Very few games will touch you, very few games will have an ever lasting good feel.

That being said, I'm not excited one bit by Occulus Rift and whatever game comes with it. Mainly because if something isn't out and accessible, I don't see the point to worry about it.

There will be awesome games coming out, but they'll be rarer and rarer as we move on. It takes too long for companies to develop a good game for the simple reason that they do not have the funds. It's sad.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-03-20 05:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Oculus Rift is cool etc but an Oculus Rift MMO doesn't excite me at all.
The only VR technology I'm really interested in is miles away atm and I'm not sure I'll manage to see it before I die.
I'm talking about brain connection, data directly transmitted to your brain etc.

That sort of VR would be a real VR and would seriously interest me. But will it ever happen? Certainly not anytime soon.

Personally I keep saying FFXI will likely be the last MMO I'll play. I might have fun a bit in other MMOs but I don't think I'll ever play anything else seriously and regularly.
If a new cool game that excite me will be announced I'll be ready to change my mind but so far nothing even close to what I'd want in an MMO has been announced, so yeah... don't see it happening.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 13 14 15