[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-04-04 17:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Katsuras said: »
Honestly if after how badly Square have treated you and FFXI if you get addicted to another of their mmo titles you deserve whatever bad treatment they give you in the future.

Square are a horrible company to play an mmo with, after you play almost any other companies titles you see that. After I played WoW for a year I was amazed at how seriously they take customer service and how much they value their players.

I would play pong over getting into another Square mmo.

That aside form the fact that they are probably skuppring FFXI on purpose in the hope XI players will go over to XIV. Mainly cause a subscriber on XIV is worth many times more than a subscriber on XI, cause of that horrible cash shop it has.

That's not SE, thats JPRPG style, they make the game, you deal with their BS.

14 doesn't actually treat you badly, the RNG is Harch sometimes but it is in any game, otherwise theres actual things you can work towards

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-04-04 18:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeaaah, the main reason I don't want to play FFXIV (more than all the two-steppin themepark WoW-cloneness) is that it's managed by SquareEnix.

See, I'd go so far as to say that the worst part of FFXI was SquareEnix. They employ some talented people and then yoke them under idiots that haven't been told "no" in so long that they can't tell a good idea from a bad idea anymore. Their design decisions tend to suck. Their customer service consistently sucks. They're really just terrible.

I don't want to play another game managed by those fools. Even if they manage to churn out enough content that some of it is fun, all high level policy decisions will inevitably be made by idiots
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-04-04 20:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Yeaaah, the main reason I don't want to play FFXIV (more than all the two-steppin themepark WoW-cloneness) is that it's managed by SquareEnix.

See, I'd go so far as to say that the worst part of FFXI was SquareEnix. They employ some talented people and then yoke them under idiots that haven't been told "no" in so long that they can't tell a good idea from a bad idea anymore. Their design decisions tend to suck. Their customer service consistently sucks. They're really just terrible.

I don't want to play another game managed by those fools. Even if they manage to churn out enough content that some of it is fun, all high level policy decisions will inevitably be made by idiots

Oh I'm not saying SE was run by smart people, lets not be crazy now.

I'm merely pointing out that it something intrinsically linked to their culture rather than just 1 companies ethos.

And in terms of Blizzard, they have 0 control over cheaters and "gives noobs items for lols" which pisses me off more than 0 tolerance.
By Mesic 2015-04-04 23:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
once you figure out the hokey pokey steps nothing in 14 is challenging lol

Yes, as with everything, including calculus, once you figure it out, it's easy.
 Fenrir.Aisere
Server: Fenrir
user: Aisere
By Fenrir.Aisere 2015-04-05 02:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

MMO? I'm currently in XIV, but I'm really just waiting for Tree of Savior.

Mmmmmmm... Tree of Savior~
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-04-05 02:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Too hell with SE, still sticking around and playing 11 til they change plans or /kick me. Beyond 11 zero MMO plans.
By pchan 2015-04-05 02:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Mdk told me that that all the wow-tards that FF14 had at start are no longer here and that it feels different and better ( retards that won't do any dujeons w/o skype [for info doing a level 20 FFXI BCNM is 100 times harder than any FFXIV dunjeon], or tanks that check your gear and quit the PT when your gear sucks, it's like kicking a noob in the dunes because he still equips his level 7 equippement). Otherwise it's still the same game.
 Asura.Voidwolf
Server: Asura
user: Voidwolf
By Asura.Voidwolf 2015-04-05 03:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

FF14 is really cool for the most part, until you get to raiding. Feels more like dance choreography than a fight.

The questing also needs some serious work

Talk to this guy.
Now port and talk that guy.
Come back and talk to me.
Talk to her.
Pick up that loaf of bread.
Bring it to him.
Okay now come back and talk to me again.
Now talk him.
KILL TITAN
Talk to me.
Bring this wine to my friend George.
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-04-05 03:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Voidwolf said: »
FF14 is really cool for the most part, until you get to raiding. Feels more like dance choreography than a fight.

The questing also needs some serious work

Talk to this guy.
Now port and talk that guy.
Come back and talk to me.
Talk to her.
Pick up that loaf of bread.
Bring it to him.
Okay now come back and talk to me again.
Now talk him.
KILL TITAN
Talk to me.
Bring this wine to my friend George.

don't you think most mmo rpg are like that lol

might try out elder scroll online which is free to play now
By gargurty 2015-04-05 04:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Atm im playing realy old school :)
Dungeon & dragons online, also ftp :)
[+]
By Malebolge 2015-04-05 05:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Mesic said: »
Malebolge said: »
Man, *** FFXIV. Do I want to log in and jump into duty finder to grind out my allotted cap of gear tokens, or would I rather keep an open window of Progress Quest and scratch that same itch for mindless incremental progress? It's a tough choice, FFXIV isn't free but it's just got so much more gwaphics.

If anything, private servers for old MMOs. The genre's stuck in this post-WoW hellscape where if you can't describe your game in the form of "It's like WoW, but..." then it doesn't get made. What kept me in FFXI was challenge, community, and storytelling and good luck finding some or any of those things in any MMO currently operating, XIV included.

You do one daily roulette just five times in one week and your done for tokens for the whole week. Takes a total time of about 30minutes in one day. What are you even talking about? You can get top tier weapons without grinds as well. You can even get great gear in pvp. Basically you just have to play the game to get good gear since they're so many ways of getting it. There really isn't anyone single grind you have to do unless you want to.
Log in for 30 minutes each of 5 days out of the week and I can get top tier weapons? Wow, you just blew my Progress Quest comparison out of the water!

I said I like old MMOs, grind doesn't bother me, grind is neither good nor bad inherently. But there's a difference between doing the same FATE a shitzillion times before you get enough Atma, and claiming Fafnir a shitzillion times before you get a Ridill. There's a difference between logging in daily to enter Duty Finder to get your allotment of tomestones from this patch's dungeon to get this patch's gear, and having the same community of dozens of people get together every few days for months of sponsored Dynamis runs to get enough currency for one person's relic weapon. That difference is the difference between a MMORPG and a co-op dungeon crawler with a persistent overworld lobby.

I ***on WoW earlier but the truth is that vanilla WoW was a legit MMO that I just happened to not get into at the time. But on the road to 10 million subscribers you have to make a few concessions to ideas like "every sub gets to see all the content" and "logging in often is more important than logging in for a long time", which kills the competition and community aspects of the genre.
By Mesic 2015-04-08 04:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, *** FFXIV. Do I want to log in and jump into duty finder to grind out my allotted cap of gear tokens, or would I rather keep an open window of Progress Quest and scratch that same itch for mindless incremental progress? It's a tough choice, FFXIV isn't free but it's just got so much more gwaphics.

If anything, private servers for old MMOs. The genre's stuck in this post-WoW hellscape where if you can't describe your game in the form of "It's like WoW, but..." then it doesn't get made. What kept me in FFXI was challenge, community, and storytelling and good luck finding some or any of those things in any MMO currently operating, XIV included.

You do one daily roulette just five times in one week and your done for tokens for the whole week. Takes a total time of about 30minutes in one day. What are you even talking about? You can get top tier weapons without grinds as well. You can even get great gear in pvp. Basically you just have to play the game to get good gear since they're so many ways of getting it. There really isn't anyone single grind you have to do unless you want to.
Log in for 30 minutes each of 5 days out of the week and I can get top tier weapons? Wow, you just blew my Progress Quest comparison out of the water!

I said I like old MMOs, grind doesn't bother me, grind is neither good nor bad inherently. But there's a difference between doing the same FATE a shitzillion times before you get enough Atma, and claiming Fafnir a shitzillion times before you get a Ridill. There's a difference between logging in daily to enter Duty Finder to get your allotment of tomestones from this patch's dungeon to get this patch's gear, and having the same community of dozens of people get together every few days for months of sponsored Dynamis runs to get enough currency for one person's relic weapon. That difference is the difference between a MMORPG and a co-op dungeon crawler with a persistent overworld lobby.

I ***on WoW earlier but the truth is that vanilla WoW was a legit MMO that I just happened to not get into at the time. But on the road to 10 million subscribers you have to make a few concessions to ideas like "every sub gets to see all the content" and "logging in often is more important than logging in for a long time", which kills the competition and community aspects of the genre.

I was simply refereeing to you calling capping tokens a "grind" ("Do I want to log in and jump into duty finder to grind out my allotted cap of gear tokens") and pointing out that it wasn't. Thats all. Lol.
By Mesic 2015-04-08 04:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

pchan said: »
Mdk told me that that all the wow-tards that FF14 had at start are no longer here and that it feels different and better ( retards that won't do any dujeons w/o skype [for info doing a level 20 FFXI BCNM is 100 times harder than any FFXIV dunjeon], or tanks that check your gear and quit the PT when your gear sucks, it's like kicking a noob in the dunes because he still equips his level 7 equippement). Otherwise it's still the same game.

I used to trio box PCC bcnm w/3 Blms by myself just by hitting ctrl enter a few times. I don't think I was running skype at the time. But i guess I could've been. Difficulty is mostly just a matter of experience. Everyone remembers their frustrations the first few times so that they can feel like a pro when they've mastered it.

At any rate I'm not trying to say one game is better than the other, though awhile ago I probably would've argued otherwise. Malebolge did a good job of pointing out the differences, and if that community still existed I'd probably still be going back and forth between each game.

Which leads me to a rather off topic question, why in the f*** have they still not done another server merge? That should have happened two years ago. The f***ing game got to a point to where you were lucky if 1 event took place all night sunday - thursday, and if it did, if you got in. At least thats how i felt around when i stopped. Simple solution, never happened.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-04-08 06:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

...unless it's managed by SquareEnix...
By Malebolge 2015-04-08 12:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I was simply refereeing to you calling capping tokens a "grind" ("Do I want to log in and jump into duty finder to grind out my allotted cap of gear tokens") and pointing out that it wasn't. Thats all. Lol.
"Mindless" was meant to be the insulting part of that description. It is a grind. An easy, rate-capped grind.
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2015-04-08 14:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I'm gona try out lord of the ring online

Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-04-08 14:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

gargurty said: »
Atm im playing realy old school :)
Dungeon & dragons online, also ftp :)

If that's really old school, then I'm ancient. I've gone back to Ultima Online!

(although to be fair, I'm playing on a player-run shard, not one of the production shards)
By cervelo84 2015-04-09 14:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

After playing FFXI, most other MMO seem to be a step down. I enjoy WoW for pvp only. I enjoy FF14 for graphics and crafting. Everquest Next may be the next one I sink into.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-04-09 15:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
once you figure out the hokey pokey steps nothing in 14 is challenging lol

Yes, as with everything, including calculus, once you figure it out, it's easy.
more pointing out the fact that they throw 0 curve balls always a fastball down the middle lol
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-04-09 15:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole rock/paper/scissors aspect of ffxi seemed to be lacking in ffxiv last I played. BLM elements for instance immediately stood out. Then the whole lack of sc or mb or jas or traits. I mean the list just went on for too long. Extreme blah mode
Heavensward looks damn exciting atleast. Just wish they'd add some more depth to that vanilla combat system.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By cervelo84 2015-04-10 21:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
The whole rock/paper/scissors aspect of ffxi seemed to be lacking in ffxiv last I played. BLM elements for instance immediately stood out. Then the whole lack of sc or mb or jas or traits. I mean the list just went on for too long. Extreme blah mode
Heavensward looks damn exciting atleast. Just wish they'd add some more depth to that vanilla combat system.

Like I said, we are spoiled with FF11. no current MMo has any depth. I guess people don't like gearswap, multiple item sets, etc? If they did it would be in all big name mmo's. Simplicity is the main calling from all MMO's. Money > what a small % of people want - hence why we complain about 14 ( or any other # of mmo's out there) but we are 1% of the people complaining. MOney > your opinion
[+]
 Phoenix.Audacity
Server: Phoenix
user: Crumpet
By Phoenix.Audacity 2015-04-11 21:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still subbed to FFXI, but spend most of my time on FFXIV. I don't have high hopes for Heavensward and if it doesn't live up to my expectations I will also probably try to steer clear of MMO's.

Reading this thread has made me so sad though, I too started playing in late 2007 when I was just 15 and I've met a hell of a lot cool people along the way. Wherever you guys end up, I salute you, It's been one hell of a ride.
By Neuman 2015-04-13 16:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

DRAGON QUEST X. It would be really nice if they bring this to the west.
By barkley1 2015-04-17 15:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

For me personally? FFXI has been replaced since like...2012

I will hop on occasionally; or afk while playing DCUO or something.

This news does not affect me at all; I am like "Eh, XI's appeal wore off years ago." Other titles have occupied my free time, DCUO, Wildstar, SWTOR, etc, oh-well, had a good run.

Imo, monstrosity had potential, but it appears they have scrapped it, but I digress...

..DCUO, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, TESO, take your pick.

Black Desert, Monster Hunter, Civilization Online among other TBA titles look appealing; notably Black Desert, models are crazy, truly next level stuff.

Personally, I have taken a liking to superhero MMOs due to the customization.

As it pertains to XIV, it is antisocial; until the raids that is, then all the crazy kids come out of everyone.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-04-17 15:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I started playing FFXIV free trial and ended up buying the game. I haven't subscribed yet, but perhaps I will. It's much more "go at your own pace, because you're always solo"-y.

The downside is that I'm level 35 and haven't done an event of any kind with anyone from my server yet. The game is designed in an antisocial way. There's kind of no point in talking to people during events because you're all from different servers and there's effectively no need for strategy. Someone gives a 2 second spiel laying out gimmicks before the boss fight and you're good to go.

Fortunately many of my FFXI friends went to the same server, so I'm in a linkshell with them and have someone to chat with. As it stands, though, it's basically a 1P game with a built in chat service and you're occasionally assisted by human-like NPCs. I don't hate it and that's an interesting concept (human-like AI by virtue of having your NPCs be humans), but it's not like FFXI at all.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 13 14 15