FFXI Replacement MMO
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 13 14 15
 Lakshmi.Phaffi
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: phafi
By Lakshmi.Phaffi 2015-04-17 16:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

it's practically a requirement to use voip to talk to anyone for anything of weight, but for your daily dungeons, yeah you'll never talk to anyone unless you queue with them. the combat system isn't conducive to speaking to people. you'll also find that even if you do talk because you're the one in eight people that can type three or four words between GCDs, no one reads the chatlog during combat anyway.
By anik 2015-04-17 16:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Balloon said: »
Never become an adult.

That's the problem I'm having, I haven't even played XI in a while but I just.. everytime I play a new MMO I find myself wishing for some of XIs mechanics.

It was old, it was kinda janky, but it was quite unique, and I don't see many, or any, future MMOs playing like XI does.

This is too true, but i think the majority of the ffxi community was a different breed. We were distance runners with a lot of stamina, and dedicated to a group of other people (linkshell). Well, I say majority because there were some who simply couldn't play the game as it was designed, and needed the crutches and an ambulance to help them get their gimp *** to the finish line. In a lot of cases it's a child that never grew up, and was never taught how to lose, like a little 4 year old girl playing with her older brothers outside on the playground. Then she loses at a game of tag only to cry and force oldest brother to then change the rules, just so she isn't crying when they get home.

Now, today, when i play ffxi, I feel like every shout group has speed hackers, and I am the one left thinking, ITS NOT FAIR!!!
[+]
By anik 2015-04-17 16:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I digress, for me and for most people who enjoy/ed playing FFXI, there is no replacement. It's a one of a kind game that had the best community experience to offer anyone who desired to be a part of an online community.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2015-04-18 12:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

After careful deliberation, and considering everything. I believe there really is no replacement for FFXI. The MMO industry nowadays is catering to a younger generation that wants everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Even FFXI itself has steered in that direction somewhat from the so-called glory days. And it won't stop. Most of the younger people that play video games these days don't want content that will give them a sense of accomplishment. They just want the "shinies" handed to them straight out. I doubt the MMO line will ever go back to what FFXI used to be. Too many people will complain and quit because things are "too hard".

So, I have decided. On January 1, 2016. After I have seen FFXI through it's final version updates, and played through it a bit. I will be deleting my character and retiring from the MMO genre of video games completely. The timing works out well. I guess you can call it a New Years' resolution, of sorts.

It's probably for the best. Time to move on to more realistic endeavors.
[+]
By barkley1 2015-04-18 13:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
After careful deliberation, and considering everything. I believe there really is no replacement for FFXI. The MMO industry nowadays is catering to a younger generation that wants everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Even FFXI itself has steered in that direction somewhat from the so-called glory days. And it won't stop. Most of the younger people that play video games these days don't want content that will give them a sense of accomplishment. They just want the "shinies" handed to them straight out. I doubt the MMO line will ever go back to what FFXI used to be. Too many people will complain and quit because things are "too hard".

So, I have decided. On January 1, 2016. After I have seen FFXI through it's final version updates, and played through it a bit. I will be deleting my character and retiring from the MMO genre of video games completely. The timing works out well. I guess you can call it a New Years' resolution, of sorts.

I was the younger generation once upon a time, but as an adult with much more responsibilities, I started to appreciate the way developers are handling the current MMOs (Seriously, I really hated the way XI was watered down). I cannot schedule my time around a game (Aka ground kings, sky NMs), but now, it appears that the developers are catering to the schedule of all individuals.

I truly loathed the route XIV took,but learned to appreciate it after some deep reflection, "How in the world can I do these serious/hardcore oldschool XI grinds with my schedule anyway?" I could not...

Sure I could.....would take some time perhaps.

Look around the XI forums, there are those wishing for lessen restrictions (And some whom detest it), also, more ppl are doing relics and mythics (More ppl subbing for the grind perhaps).

The grind is still there, just more tolerable for the casuals. Imo, XI does a great job of finding a balance, otherwise they will lose the casual subs. Devs want to produce a game that anyone can pick up and play, which results in more $$$.

Imo, there is no instant gratification in XI, it takes some time to make a REM, just less time than before. XI is not hard at all, just requires people; as a casual bst, can solo nearly everything i need, even some Delve outsiders. I am not even the best player nor try to be; XI just requires ppl, an attention span, and a few macros. XI is not Mega Man X/Ninja Gaiden gamepad hard.

(Speaking of Mega Man, any Mega Man X fans in here lol? There was a Mega Man MMO in the works which was scrapped awhile ago, that would have been nice)

I wholly understand were you are coming from, but I learned to appreciate the current trend; that is just me though. Everquest Next could be the sandbox MMO you are waiting for. Also, afterglow appears to be hardcore -esque, not sure how many ppl are willing to do that.
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-04-18 13:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel 100% the same way as you do from this message. example there is a kid on my server who well lets just says people get pissed off easy. I have been on the headset with him. He crys and *** that things are to hard and that he wants people to do it for him. He has asked me many times and i wont even tell him any thing about the story lines i tell him look it up on bg and wiki like the rest of us. But i wont leave 11 something i told people years a go the only way i will stop playing is i get banned the servers shut down or i run out of money.

i have put this much time in i am going to see it to the end.

Then later what gets me to pick my next main mmo is simple what game a decent % of the people i know or met from ffxi are going to play and if i can play with them on the same server i will remake my linkshell there and start from that.
 Asura.Calinzt
Server: Asura
user: Calinz
By Asura.Calinzt 2015-04-18 14:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There will never be another XI. It's just not how games work anymore. Even getting a simple map used to be an adventure:

- Oh, you don't have a map of the area? Tough. Go buy one.
- Oh, you don't have enough money to buy one? Tough. Go make money.
- Oh, you do have money but the map isn't purchasable from NPCs? Tough. Go look for a chest with the map.
- Oh, you can't kill the mobs that drop the chest key? Tough. Get friends to help you.
- Oh, you don't have friends? MAKE SOME!

modern player:
- wut? *downloads map plugin/application*

FFXI in a nutshell.
[+]
 Garuda.Finuve
Server: Garuda
user: Finuve
By Garuda.Finuve 2015-04-18 15:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calinzt said: »
There will never be another XI. It's just not how games work anymore. Even getting a simple map used to be an adventure:

- Oh, you do have money but the map isn't purchasable from NPCs? Tough. Go look for a chest with the map.
- Oh, you can't kill the mobs that drop the chest key? Tough. Get friends to help you.

modern player:

FFXI in a nutshell.
FFXI's approach to "heres your charcter, now !&@# off" was its greatest strength. There is a sense of discovery that it led to is unrivaled.

I find it interesting that with games like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne bringing that back to single player experiences, MMOs refuse to do anything except the modern handhold style.

Modern MMO combat is also garbage. You roll through a set rotation without deviating, and difficulty is added via stupid dodging and figuring out nonsense mechanics and going through the motions.

Using FFXIV as an example, Titan extreme, still to this day, like a year after quitting, I still could rattle off the exact pattern of his attacks. The fight was never hard, you just spent 5-6 runs memorizing it, then go through the motions. If you lagged at all though, you lose.

Then you have Twintania, where the challenge is literally figuring out how the stupid ***works. Oh an icon appears over your head, wipe 20 times in a row until you figure out what that icon does, or wait 3 weeks and watch a video of someone else who went through that stupid crap and figured out that, oh, if you run around but dont ever touch your own path, the twister misses, then go beat the fight.

FFXI started adding crap like this with delve and it annoyed me, but it was never as bad. At least in XI a bit of lag doesnt just kill your whole party.

Im basically done with MMOs after XI closes. Withoutout even getting into all the other problems MMOs have like itemization and vertical progression, I just hate everything this genre has become.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-04-18 15:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You could clear Titan EX without even memorizing its pattern. I remember collecting a pizza from the door and coming back to me being still alive, I was solo tank.

The fight is a joke, people need to stop making mountains out of that kind of content.
 Garuda.Finuve
Server: Garuda
user: Finuve
By Garuda.Finuve 2015-04-18 15:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
You could clear Titan EX without even memorizing its pattern. I remember collecting a pizza from the door and coming back to me being still alive, I was solo tank.

The fight is a joke, people need to stop making mountains out of that kind of content.
yea it wasnt hard to beat without memorizing as long as you just reacted to each move, and knew the stupid mechanics like separating gaols. Its just that since the fight is 100% scripted, you will memorize it anyway, just like every fight in that game
By Voren 2015-04-18 17:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm almost to that fight, been hearing mixed things, some say it's rough, some say it's a walk in the park. I suppose it comes down to if you get a decent group or a crap group.

I'm looking forward to shiva and ramuh ex, mainly ramuh because dat beard.
By Bloodrose 2015-04-18 17:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a rough walk in the park.

Seriously, cleared it first try.
By Voren 2015-04-18 17:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

World of Darkness is fun. Ran that last night, almost the entire time because some jack-wagon that wanted to tank couldn't hold hate off of a paper bag.

I was pulling hate without even having shield oath up. Wiped 3 times to Cerberus before I took over tanking. Same thing on the last boss because some people derp on mechanics such as get off the boss and get to the small clouds and dps them so we don't wipe.

Yes it's easy to play, I was doing WoD in i93 gear and not having much of an issue.

In my case FFXI is terminating my ability to play come next march, and no I'm not buying a comp to simply play FFXI as I have no other use for a comp. My friends from 11 are now playing 14, met new friends, have fun in Skype.

It's not only content that makes an MMO, it's the friends you gain along the way and having fun.
[+]
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-04-19 11:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calinzt said: »

modern player:

FFXI in a nutshell.
Now i am not saying your wrong about the older player base of mmos. but i am one of the people in the old mmo base and i will say i have heard and said all of what you gave as examples. but yes i will say the fact i can pull up maps on my laptop when i play is a big help. and yes i did do the quest for a decent % of my maps and chest maps. but Sometimes it was just easyer to look it up on atlas.

so you cant really count that as a modern example. but yes i do say most modern gamers look for the 3rd party tools rather then just putting a little work in to read the quests in game or online.

very good example is this. How many people of the new base want to do all of a mission line the day it comes out from what i have seen not a lot of them but that is me. What i am getting at is when ToA game out i did all the way to the black coffin week one. why you ask fun and i love the ffxi story. The story is why i will be buying the shitty app when the maplestory devs get done messing up are game.
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-04-19 11:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Finuve said: »
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

yea it wasnt hard to beat without memorizing as long as you just reacted to each move, and knew the stupid mechanics like separating gaols. Its just that since the fight is 100% scripted, you will memorize it anyway, just like every fight in that game
What I am about to say about 14 and 11 people have trying to give me a new hole over every time. 14 is a joke people on 14 ask me how i can tank a fight at level 20 and not lose hate.

lets break this down look at my mp it is 0 look at 14 tanks they have about 30-50% mp still and are not flashing or voking.

people ask in 14 how can i tank so well i say i learned on 11 and yes i been told i am one of the best tanks on my server in 11. (btw to the people who do not like me shut up i know i am not one of the best in my eyes i think thought i am still top 30.)

but people forget how much someone had to learn how to play there class in more then 1 way in 11. for example i used to tank in mp burn partys and pull for the party all as pld at 75. i know people who would of gotten killed easy doing this.

or jelly ring nm with a 75 drk and 2 plds 60 and 70 acting as the healers for the drk.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-19 11:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Voren said: »
World of Darkness is fun. Ran that last night, almost the entire time because some jack-wagon that wanted to tank couldn't hold hate off of a paper bag.

I was pulling hate without even having shield oath up. Wiped 3 times to Cerberus before I took over tanking. Same thing on the last boss because some people derp on mechanics such as get off the boss and get to the small clouds and dps them so we don't wipe.

Yes it's easy to play, I was doing WoD in i93 gear and not having much of an issue.

In my case FFXI is terminating my ability to play come next march, and no I'm not buying a comp to simply play FFXI as I have no other use for a comp. My friends from 11 are now playing 14, met new friends, have fun in Skype.

It's not only content that makes an MMO, it's the friends you gain along the way and having fun.
Most of my friends quit shortly after Seekers. I kinda thing Seekers just wasn't for everyone. FFXI was for everyone, Seekers didn't have that feel for me.

WoD can be fun but you have to be in the mood to tolerate screwing around, I like to go with people I know...so we can complain and joke in LS or FC or something. lol Finally got Puff of Darkness this week, I call her Puff-chan. >.>
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2015-04-19 12:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

barkley1 said: »

I was the younger generation once upon a time, but as an adult with much more responsibilities, I started to appreciate the way developers are handling the current MMOs (Seriously, I really hated the way XI was watered down). I cannot schedule my time around a game (Aka ground kings, sky NMs), but now, it appears that the developers are catering to the schedule of all individuals.

I truly loathed the route XIV took,but learned to appreciate it after some deep reflection, "How in the world can I do these serious/hardcore oldschool XI grinds with my schedule anyway?" I could not...

Sure I could.....would take some time perhaps.

Look around the XI forums, there are those wishing for lessen restrictions (And some whom detest it), also, more ppl are doing relics and mythics (More ppl subbing for the grind perhaps).

The grind is still there, just more tolerable for the casuals. Imo, XI does a great job of finding a balance, otherwise they will lose the casual subs. Devs want to produce a game that anyone can pick up and play, which results in more $$$.

Imo, there is no instant gratification in XI, it takes some time to make a REM, just less time than before. XI is not hard at all, just requires people; as a casual bst, can solo nearly everything i need, even some Delve outsiders. I am not even the best player nor try to be; XI just requires ppl, an attention span, and a few macros. XI is not Mega Man X/Ninja Gaiden gamepad hard.

(Speaking of Mega Man, any Mega Man X fans in here lol? There was a Mega Man MMO in the works which was scrapped awhile ago, that would have been nice)

I wholly understand were you are coming from, but I learned to appreciate the current trend; that is just me though. Everquest Next could be the sandbox MMO you are waiting for. Also, afterglow appears to be hardcore -esque, not sure how many ppl are willing to do that.

I actually understand where you are coming from with the RL free time factor. My in-game time is nowhere near what it used to be 10 years ago. Nowadays, most of the time I see people in my LS's scheduling events, I can't be there because I need to be at work. Or I need to be up early the next day.

So, lately I spend my time either doing solo FFXI stuff, which I have gotten severely burnt out on, or waiting for shouts I want to partake in, which mostly happen AFTER I leave for work, or while I am at work. (Screw you, Murphy's Law.)

But even through all this, I wish there was some kind of middle ground. I mean, yeah, HNM Kings were fun back in the day when my schedule was more open, and now would suck because I wouldn't really be able to join them if ever due to work.

But, I mean, I don't know... maybe I'm just partly nostalgic for the wonder years.

YouTube Video Placeholder

And while writing this.... I was reminded of this song... I think it fits well.

"A little voice inside my head says, "Don't look back, you can never look back."".
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2015-04-19 14:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've said it before and I'll say it again, FFXI can never be replaced. It's more than just a game to some. It was a lifestyle. The FFXI Community was/is the most kind, loving, understanding, helpful, and overall fun of any game community.

Just think about all the people you met in the game. How many you helped. How many helped you. What other game can you say that about? None.

FFXI is a game that will stay with us for entire lives. We all have vivid fond memories of the game. Everything was on a whole different scale than MMOs then and today.

Nothing in gaming today even comes close to the way the game is/was. I haven't played since 2010 and I still come back to this site to post about the game and keep track of all the new updates, gear, check up on old friend's accomplishments.

Even down to the core of the game its apparent that it was designed with can you believe it MULTIPLAYER IN MIND. OMG IKNORITE!? UNHEARD OF! MMOs today often center around what YOU bring to the table and what YOU can do. There is no WE or OUR. FFXI capitalized on group interaction. Want to level? Great, sit in the dunes and throw up your party flag. Want to deal considerable damage? Great, time your skills within coordination of another player to make a skillchain that ANOTHER player can magic burst to deal even MORE damage. AS A TEAM WHAT!?

MMO's today are so worried about fitting in with everyone's schedules that its all solo. Like what do these devs think MMO means? MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER wasn't just the genre for FFXI it was the main focus of everything from the economy all the way to it's combat.

It truly is/was the quintessential MMO of all time.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-04-19 15:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Voren said: »

Most of my friends quit shortly after Seekers. I kinda thing Seekers just wasn't for everyone. FFXI was for everyone, Seekers didn't have that feel for me.

WoD can be fun but you have to be in the mood to tolerate screwing around, I like to go with people I know...so we can complain and joke in LS or FC or something. lol Finally got Puff of Darkness this week, I call her Puff-chan. >.>

SoA was poorly done, Delve I was the most fun I had in the game group wise, but adding delve I before yorcia skirmish and such was an awfull idea.
[+]
 Asura.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-04-20 05:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI's epicness was in its hardcore gameplay, forcing people to team up and coordinate even for leveling and quests, right as you step outside the starter areas and dealing with various road blocks to gain access to content.

HNM pop timers, waiting for jp midnight on missions, partying without level sync, requiring several people to open a freaking gate in a dungeon... They all sound ridicilous, but what made us love this game and FFXI unique was the sense of achievement once you complete something despite all that.

This is one of those games you love to hate and there arent't many of those. Almost every single MMO other than vanilla FFXI can be summed up as; level solo all the way > spam instances with little to no interaction among players.

I played TERA for a while up to level 50 something and saw that you could literally do all the instances without writing a single word in chat. Everything is straight forward, the game leads you through the instance, everybody acts seperately, there is hardly any reason to coordinate abilities. When you add the seemingly endless fetch quests and absolutely no reason to team up outside instances, the game feels so empty. Considering that this game has, in fact, relatively good battle mechanics with its action oriented gameplay, imagine how much more boring the most other MMOs are with their mostly static gameplay, on top of a shallow setting, lame story lines and mountains of fetch quests.

Edit: CoP was a huge slap in the face for most casual players with limited play time and sources. ToAU content was lackluster until Salvage which required extreme dedication which was another slap for those people. WotG took... years to be completed and still feels so empty. I just can't see WoE as its end game, nah. Add-ons... nothing to say. Abyssea added lots of battle content and was great at start, but then they made it into a cakewalk with atmas and people weren't ready for the huge gap in power.

However, despite all that, the game had a huge variety in content even at the time of ToAU which was released in 2006. It isn't only "spam instances", at least not until SoA, like the others. Some very old events are still relevant too. I highly doubt there is any MMO as rich in content in the market in proportion to its age.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-04-20 07:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 45 PLD in FFXIV now. I will probably hit 47 or 48 tonight. In the last 10 levels they've started introducing some difficulty by not telegraphing TP moves with red area of effect projections on the ground, but it's still not hard to avoid them. Still haven't met anyone from my server in DF, though.

I like the crafting system much more than the battle system, but I think it will get boring when I cap it out. What's fun about it right now is that the strategies I employ seem to change every time I get a new ability. I've heard that this will continue to happen pretty much until I hit level 50 in every craft.

FFXIV's social structure in classic American poetry:
Quote:
Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-04-20 09:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

But isn't it kind of our fault that we're only social in games when we absolutely have to be? Should the game have to force it on us, or should we take it upon ourselves to be more social without being prodded? Instead of asking developers if they know what MMO means, maybe they should be asking us, because it seems a lot of people go into MMOs with no intention of ever being social.
By missdivine 2015-04-20 09:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I started playing FFXIV free trial and ended up buying the game. I haven't subscribed yet, but perhaps I will. It's much more "go at your own pace, because you're always solo"-y.

The downside is that I'm level 35 and haven't done an event of any kind with anyone from my server yet. The game is designed in an antisocial way. There's kind of no point in talking to people during events because you're all from different servers and there's effectively no need for strategy. Someone gives a 2 second spiel laying out gimmicks before the boss fight and you're good to go.

Fortunately many of my FFXI friends went to the same server, so I'm in a linkshell with them and have someone to chat with. As it stands, though, it's basically a 1P game with a built in chat service and you're occasionally assisted by human-like NPCs. I don't hate it and that's an interesting concept (human-like AI by virtue of having your NPCs be humans), but it's not like FFXI at all.
It's quite the contrary once you hit level 50, the game gets very strategic and hard on dungeons /endgame
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-04-20 10:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
But isn't it kind of our fault that we're only social in games when we absolutely have to be?
In the sense that hardwired behaviors are encouraged by the game's design... So technically no, because worldbuilding is their job. I've been saying this for years, MMO devs don't give enough consideration to game theory and player psychology. Dev visions of the way players will interact with their world tend to be as much of a fantasy as the world itself.

The good things about FFXI still have a place in modern MMO design. It's not the grind, no matter how the more masochistic segments of the community might claim otherwise. It's the relatively open world design, encouraging community and communication (lack of automatic party finder; capacity for communication midfight without VOIP was a necessity in 2001 and even now is a favorable property), and the fundamental strengths of its battle mechanics.

FFXI's battle mechanics, underneath all its design and balance flaws, are surprisingly deep and flexible. It manages to cater to a wide range of interests and skill levels: less skilled players can engage content with more players, while experienced players have the option of running cutting-edge strategies that reduce the number of players required for most content in a favorable manner. Competence is richly rewarded, both in content progression/gear acquisition and in intangibles such as the status that comes with pioneering or executing a difficult solo/lowman strat. Yet it also strikes a balance by encouraging grouping for other content; skill is still rewarded in these cases by shortening run duration and/or allowing you to do more in the same timeframe. While this side of the coin was perhaps underweighted in FFXI, it at least demonstrates that it is possible to reward skill without marginalizing incentives for operating in full party/alliance units. These attributes can translate into modern MMOs, the problem is that nobody's trying to implement them. Instead we have strictly boxed-in battle mechanics (rotations) and class designs (inflexible role divisions with minimal crossover), coupled to the inherently flawed themepark and vertical progression models. WoW may have succeeded through these models (and some other notable design choices that I don't mean to understate), but now everyone else is trying to replicate that model without realizing why Blizzard succeeded with that model, and why nobody will ever fully replicate that success with the same model.

This is not to say that FFXI ever managed to really realize the potential of its mechanics, because it didn't. High forced JA/WS/spell delay (especially spell delay), an almost overwhelming emphasis on damage over utility, poor balance, and lazy content design are all notable strikes against battle content design (by no means a comprehensive list), and that's without getting into the game's flaws in other content. There are a bunch of sloppy or illogically implemented mechanics too.

Speaking of which, gearswapping is a really good (if illogical) mechanic that I don't think anyone else really has an equivalent to right now? It increases depth and raises the skill ceiling in meaningful yet accessible ways. A less weird implementation of the core idea (open-ended ability to manipulate stats midfight) would do wonders both for a modern MMO's battle system and the lifespan of its content, which would probably open the door for a shift away from the currently dominant vertical progression model and maybe even encourage devs to get more creative with class design.
[+]
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2015-04-20 10:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

missdivine said: »
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I started playing FFXIV free trial and ended up buying the game. I haven't subscribed yet, but perhaps I will. It's much more "go at your own pace, because you're always solo"-y.

The downside is that I'm level 35 and haven't done an event of any kind with anyone from my server yet. The game is designed in an antisocial way. There's kind of no point in talking to people during events because you're all from different servers and there's effectively no need for strategy. Someone gives a 2 second spiel laying out gimmicks before the boss fight and you're good to go.

Fortunately many of my FFXI friends went to the same server, so I'm in a linkshell with them and have someone to chat with. As it stands, though, it's basically a 1P game with a built in chat service and you're occasionally assisted by human-like NPCs. I don't hate it and that's an interesting concept (human-like AI by virtue of having your NPCs be humans), but it's not like FFXI at all.
It's quite the contrary once you hit level 50, the game gets very strategic and hard on dungeons /endgame
yep, sure sounds like someone hasn't played Binding Coil of Bahamut.

that's a thing I've noticed from ff11 players, they seem to have a form of Stockholm syndrome about the game. They're used to getting to like level ten, and be tormented with leveling, basically being thrown in the deep end of a pool when basically all you've done with a pool ever is stick your toe into it.

where 14 it's a slow difficulty curve, things really don't get difficult like that off the bat, they teach you how to play the game, how to use mechanics and let you have fun. It's not a torture grind right off the bat. Don't worry, those training wheels are going to come off
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-04-20 10:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV's progression content is "hard", but artificial and shallow. It's not so much strategy as choreography, which you repeat ad nauseam for the next 3-6 months.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-04-20 11:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope it's going to be hard. I killed Garuda last night on my second attempt. The first group did a "Vote to Abandon" after we tried 3 times. One of our DPS was a level 45 Rogue who apparently couldn't change target and kill feathers. He died about 20 seconds in to phase 2 each fight by running in to the wind wall. The other DPS also kept dying in phase 2 somehow, but he lasted longer. We still came very close to winning with just the healer and I.

Second group managed to kill it on the third attempt. The WHM didn't hide behind the pillars on the first attempt. Second attempt she died to Aerial Blast or ran behind me and got hit with a Slipstream or something. Third attempt she died about half a minute in to phase 2, but I stayed up quite a while anyway and our DPS powered Garuda down.

That was the roughest BC I've experienced so far, but it felt like a cakewalk compared to attempting to coordinate a successful mammet BC in FFXI. I mean, whatever. Failing 5 times and winning once with 7 strangers took like 40 minutes all told? I don't even get mad in this game when people are incompetent because the penalties for failure are so low.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-04-20 11:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Yeaaah, the main reason I don't want to play FFXIV (more than all the two-steppin themepark WoW-cloneness) is that it's managed by SquareEnix.

See, I'd go so far as to say that the worst part of FFXI was SquareEnix. They employ some talented people and then yoke them under idiots that haven't been told "no" in so long that they can't tell a good idea from a bad idea anymore. Their design decisions tend to suck. Their customer service consistently sucks. They're really just terrible.

I don't want to play another game managed by those fools. Even if they manage to churn out enough content that some of it is fun, all high level policy decisions will inevitably be made by idiots

Why do people say ***like that if you are gonna play the game anyway? lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-04-20 11:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Because the alternatives looked worse. Also, I played FFXI for years with those same gripes.
[+]
By volkom 2015-04-20 11:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

you should play league of legends.

you'd fit right in
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 13 14 15