New version update march/2015
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-03-02 00:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

How are long keyboard strokes and dodging predetermined moves much different from "wsing at 1000tp(which you get every half second at max haste), using JA when up, and stunning moves so they never even hit you".
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2015-03-02 00:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

they're not really different, but there's more variability in XI.

for example, if you're fighting gram and the person in charge of crowd control gets a set of resisted sleepga, they're going to get absolutely wrekt in a matter of seconds. the other supporting mages need to be able to notice that while they're focusing on stunning/singing etc. and be able to take control of the situation while performing their own roles. if you have two people working on alternating stuns, they have to figure out which one would be wiser to use to sleep the mobs without *** up the stun order (mighty strikes could be up, and a missed merciless mauling is basically game over for the DDs). and then the blm needs to be able to rebuild sufficient hate before the mobs wake up so the stunner doesn't get destroyed from having mob hate.

another problem is that with FF14, if you wipe, there's basically no consequence. you just hit the restart button and you get to start the fight over again immediately. with ffxi, you have to figure out if you wanna salvage the run and see if you can still win after a big wipe, if not, then you have to exit, restock meds/food etc, farm another pop. there's a lot more to lose when you die in 11 than in 14.

obviously there is a lot more to compare, but these are just some examples that stand out to me.

edit: also i'd compare dodging more to changing equipment in response to actions
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-02 01:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I find FFXIV fights all boil down to doing most fights one way without enough variation. In FFXI, after I forced myself to stop zerging any and every fight, things became fun and alot more varied.

If someone shouts for the optimal jobs and another shouts something crazy with a low chance for success, I'd rather take the low success run even if I'm just curious what kind of strategy the party comes up with. Nothing like walking into a Delve run without any stuns, a couple of light armor tanks/DD and still walking away with a victory =D

Also, if I want to play something like FFXIV, I can just pick up any other MMO.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zabimaru
Server: Caitsith
user: Zabimaru
By Caitsith.Zabimaru 2015-03-02 03:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully GEO empy gear will be the one from the artwork famitsu published a couple of years ago, before SoA came out. It looks like the Geomancer outfit from FF3 with the blue hood and everything.

[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-03-02 07:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if theyre going to rename other job af3. Probably going to lose our blue boxes :/

Lancer's -> Halbardier's
Savant's -> Illuminant's
Raider's -> Brigand's
Estoqueur's -> Mousquetaire's
Mavi -> Olumsuz
Ravager's -> Slayer's
Ferine -> Bestial
Creed -> Resplendent
Bale -> Daemonic
Navarch -> Admiral
Iga -> Yagyu
Aoiodos -> Dionysian
Unkai -> Genji
Orison -> Diviner
Cirque-> Thespian
Charis -> Acrobat
Sylvan -> Huntsman
Caller -> Prophetic

Can't think of the rest :/
By Pantafernando 2015-03-02 11:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Drg -> drake
Sch -> theorist
Thf -> gatuno
Rdm -> bretteur
Blu -> imitator
War -> destroyer
Bst -> animalist
Pld -> enlightener
Cor -> pirata
Nin -> hanzo
Brd -> flautista
Sam -> nobunaga
Whm -> devout
Pup -> lol
Dnc -> danseur
Rng -> predator
Smn -> conjurer
Drk -> slaughterous
Blm -> maleficus
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-02 11:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zabimaru said: »
Hopefully GEO empy gear will be the one from the artwork famitsu published a couple of years ago, before SoA came out. It looks like the Geomancer outfit from FF3 with the blue hood and everything.

Kinda doubt it. I mean, it's possible given that the AF3 is a departure from the AF1-2, but never that complete.

While you may get lucky, in short I'd say:
By Ramyrez 2015-03-02 11:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
That picture is from FFXI concept art so here's hoping.

You might get it to be blue. But I would except, at the very least, the hood to go away in favor of more silly hats.

Possibly a funky fruit hat.

Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-03-02 11:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Empyrean tends to look more old school. SAM's got the crescent moon crest on their Kabuto.

Also slightly off topic but why cant we get capes? There's npcs that have nice flowing capes like look at Cornelia!
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-02 11:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd wager the armor sets will have the same name as the JSE capes (Mauler's, Canny, Ghostfyre, etc). I'm also guessing that this weird *** RUN armor from the Ergon quest is the empyrean armor:

[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-02 11:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh..no. Looks just like the runeist/futhark set minus the helm.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-03-02 11:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Seha who let you out of my trunk?
 Cerberus.Avalon
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-03-02 12:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »

Anji, come back to Cerberus and hang out with us.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-02 12:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Kinda doubt it. I mean, it's possible given that the AF3 is a departure from the AF1-2, but never that complete.

PUP. I rest my case.
[+]
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2015-03-02 12:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It could be. I mean you could infer that RUN is a departure of FF3's "M. knight", which is maybe what inspired that armor set.

The new FF3 turned M knights in "Dark Knights" but the original M Knights used white magic and had magic swords that prevented mobs from splitting(they were technically 'dark swords' but named with Katana names like Masamune and Muramasa)
[+]
 Fenrir.Moldtech
Server: Fenrir
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2015-03-02 12:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zephr said: »
Vagary better be level 135+, we need content that can't be facerolled by a party of fresh item level 117 characters.

I feel a new expansion in the near-ish future myself. We have become overpowered already for all of our current content with much more power coming to us very soon. The only way to give us competition at this point is a new expansion since nothing SoA will be able to cut it.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-02 13:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy XI: Heavensward

Journey 1550 years into Vana'diels future and save the world from an omnious meteor headed towards the planet. With the adventurer gone, mindless fetch quests and obscure hints have gone unanswered long enough but for what purpose have you been brought to the future? Spoilers: Altanas asleep at the switches again.

Enjoy thrilling reskinned zones, NPCs who are obvious ripoffs of their present day family, obnoxious glowing weapons and armor, an android tarutaru companion and a plot that will be summarized utilizing more Deus ex Odin.

Order now and we'll throw in The Fate of Shantotto a thrilling add-on scenario for $15.99.
By Ramyrez 2015-03-02 13:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
PUP. I rest my case.

Not really that different. They added a mask and a few donglies.

Frankly never thought Puppetmaster deserved a jester's cap anyhow.
 Caitsith.Zabimaru
Server: Caitsith
user: Zabimaru
By Caitsith.Zabimaru 2015-03-02 13:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

The GEO artwork in question was part of this SoA artwork that was published in famitsu before SoA came out and all of it has been true so far. Even the Mekosuchinae Harness from Incursion was predicted by this artwork, years before Incursion existed in game. So I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic about that GEO empy gear.

And for reference here's the GEO costume from FF3 featuring the blue hood with white pom pom on top:

Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-03-02 13:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Avalon said: »
Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »

Anji, come back to Cerberus and hang out with us.

Iwill be making a char there soonish visiting all my homes before high noon on my eyesight
 Lye
By Lye 2015-03-02 14:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Has that white dragon made it into the game yet?
By fillerbunny9 2015-03-02 14:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

was used in the story. you don't ever fight him.
By Ramyrez 2015-03-02 14:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »
Has that white dragon made it into the game yet?

Yes, but (prepare for a valid use of the spoiler tag, if you don't want to know, don't open it).

Edit: Or, you know, Spoiler McFillerfella will just spill the beans.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2015-03-02 14:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If BST taught me anything it's that monsters can't be friends!

Kill the beast!

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fillerbunny9 2015-03-02 15:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

hey, I just said you don't fight him. I never said his intentions/implications/etc.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14