users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-02 11:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Leonlionheart said: »
I don't get how people can think Rey is Luke's daughter.

Was Luke like "I WAS STRANDED WITHOUT PARENTS ON A DESERT PLANET, SO YOU WILL BE TOO!!" ?

Even more preposterous is thinking she's Kylo's brother. Were Leia and Han in married in China? Could they only have one child so they threw away their daughter?

Seriously we're talking about characters who are pretty much the spokesmen/women for justice in the universe...
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2016-01-02 12:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It does annoy me when people refer to Kylo as a Sith.... he is a Knight of Ren who aren't sith they are just darkside users he hasn't even completed his train either. No where in the movie does it even mention that Kylo is a Sith they do however refer to him being a Knight and that he has gone to the darkside.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Shruiken 2016-01-02 13:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

People keep making a fuss about Rey stomping out Kylo Ren, but I think they're forgetting that Kylo Ren was badly wounded by Chewbacca's bowcaster right before the fight. They make a point of showing how powerful the bowcaster is all movie long, with Han being shocked by its power, asking to borrow it later on, and saying "I like this thing!" after killing a stormtrooper. Then they show Kylo bleeding and struggling with his wound during the whole fight with Finn and Rey.

Now this is just my theory, but I think Rey was a youngling in Luke's new Jedi Order before Kylo Ren murdered them all, meaning she had also been receiving training prior to being stranded on Jakku. It's my belief that Kylo spared Rey's life, as he couldn't bring himself to murder his little cousin (Rey being Luke's daughter). So instead, he blocked her memory and stranded her on Jakku. In this case, Luke didn't abandon her; he didn't know where she was or if she was even alive.

When Kylo Ren is told that Finn and BB-8 were aided by "some girl" in their escape from Jakku, he freaks out and yells "WHAT GIRL?", which would lead me to believe he already knew it was Rey.

[+]
Server: Asura
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2016-01-02 13:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
I don't get how people can think Rey is Luke's daughter.

Was Luke like "I WAS STRANDED WITHOUT PARENTS ON A DESERT PLANET, SO YOU WILL BE TOO!!" ?

Even more preposterous is thinking she's Kylo's brother. Were Leia and Han in married in China? Could they only have one child so they threw away their daughter?

Seriously we're talking about characters who are pretty much the spokesmen/women for justice in the universe...

All EU canon is officially thrown out, and while I do think there are some things that could possibly point to Luke being the father (most of them having to do with his lightsaber), I think that it's just too convenient or too easy. I honestly think it's more likely she's Luke's cousin, as in Anakin's mother had another child and that child is the parent of Rey, or the parent of the parent of Rey. That makes her a Skywalker.

That being said, I think the most likely theory I've heard is that simply JJ Abrams has absolutely no idea who the parents are, and is leaving that up to the director and writer of Episode VIII, Ryan Johnson.

Edit: I also like the theory above this post
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-02 13:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually kind of curious about the whole lightsaber thing. Didn't Anakin's lightsaber go flying off into space with Luke's hand when he faced Vader the first time? Vader even comments on him making a new lightsaber when they meet again in Return.
Server: Asura
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2016-01-02 13:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah the first thing that shocked me when walking out of the theatre was that absolutely no one was talking about the fact that Luke's final lightsaber isn't even blue.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-01-02 13:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

All I know is that ***finally stopped happening long enough for me to go and see it and I loved it.

Generally feeling that if you consider yourself a lifelong fan of the franchise and you left disappointed, you were expecting more than anyone could have given you.

Getting too hung up on "continuity and plot holes" is kind of rough for a series that perfected the art of retconning before it was even a known "thing" and since before many posters here were even alive.

Have fun making your guesses about who is who and what children are which and what was pulled from and/or written out of the story as relates to the EU, but try not to get too caught up in it and enjoy the first good new Star Wars movie we've had in three decades.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2016-01-02 13:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually kind of curious about the whole lightsaber thing. Didn't Anakin's lightsaber go flying off into space with Luke's hand when he faced Vader the first time? Vader even comments on him making a new lightsaber when they meet again in Return.

Luke does make a new lightsaber, but Anakin's (the one that Rey now has) was recovered in both canon and the EU. The EU's explanation is:
Canonically, it probably survived the fall in much the same way. How it came to be in Maz Kanata's hands is the real story.

Yeah the first thing that shocked me when walking out of the theatre was that absolutely no one was talking about the fact that Luke's final lightsaber isn't even blue.

It can be assumed that Luke is still in possession of his second (green) lightsaber.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-01-02 14:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

T H A N K

Y O U

Thought I was the only person who noticed this. But hey, "We needed to throw in an orange grandmom with huge eyes who apparently knows everything about Luke and his family somewhere, so let's hope nobody noticed this huge gaffe" - Disney
By fonewear 2016-01-02 14:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

As someone that didn't watch it and spoiled the story reading it online. I give it 9.5/10 stars needs yellow light sabers !
By Altimaomega 2016-01-02 16:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

T H A N K

Y O U

Thought I was the only person who noticed this. But hey, "We needed to throw in an orange grandmom with huge eyes who apparently knows everything about Luke and his family somewhere, so let's hope nobody noticed this huge gaffe" - Disney

Guess I'm confused. The light saber Rey has is Blue, just like the one Obi-wan gave Luke after he took it from Anikin.

Lukes second light saber that he makes as part of becoming a Jedi is green, and we never see him light it up in the new movie.

So either you guys are insane, or I'm missing something here.

On another note, light saber colors actually have meaning believe it or not. Blue is the color of a soldier/master swordsman, Green is more for the jedi that have a deeper understanding of the force. I bet you can figure out what the red ones stand for.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-02 16:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

T H A N K

Y O U

Guess I'm confused. The light saber Rey has is Blue, just like the one Obi-wan gave Luke after he took it from Anikin.

Lukes second light saber that he makes as part of becoming a Jedi is green, and we never see him light it up in the new movie.

So either you guys are insane, or I'm missing something here.

On another note, light saber colors actually have meaning believe it or not. Blue is the color of a soldier/master swordsman, Green is more for the jedi that have a deeper understanding of the force. I bet you can figure out what the red ones stand for.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-02 16:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly.

I have not read much of the new canon yet so I didn't know about the Blue and Green thing. Although, Anikins was made before that would have been a problem.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-02 16:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly.

I have not read much of the new canon yet so I didn't know about the Blue and Green thing. Although, Anikins was made before that would have been a problem.

That's the assumption, but I got the impression they were talking more like old republic days when the color really meant something. I'm sure someone who's read more of the accompanying material would know better.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-02 16:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Na no assuming about it. The Clone Wars cartoon has been stated as full cannon and a few episode are devoted to the color of light sabers and how the young lings acquire them. Anikin made his light saber before these events.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-02 16:41:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the animated series was not part of the canon, interesting.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-02 16:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Schizm Gallantry said: »
Exactly.

In Jedi they had to make his lightsaber green due to blue backgrounds on the sarlacc pit scene. While maybe the fanboys wrote some other reason, they clearly stated that, THAT was the reason for changing the color while filming.

Now while the Star Wars cannon might say something else, even Samuel Jackson wanted his to be purple so he can spot himself during fight scenes.

That stuff was added as canon AFTER Phantom Menace apparently. Sam Jackson requested the purple one, and they came up with a reason for it.
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2016-01-02 17:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I do have to wonder if there will be a "director's cut" version of this on blu-ray in the future, as it does feel like there has to about 10 or so deleted scenes that are actually integral to fleshing out the story as it unfolds. Crying scenes for Leia and Chewie for Han? The initial meeting of Leia and Rey? The second half of the film seems very rushed and cut up. Also, Snoke looks to be the silliest villain leader ever, bet he's Yoda sized or something,lol.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-02 19:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

In Jedi they had to make his lightsaber green due to blue backgrounds on the sarlacc pit scene. While maybe the fanboys wrote some other reason, they clearly stated that, THAT was the reason for changing the color while filming.

So they added a more interesting background for light sabers due to production challenges. Why does this even matter, when it gives the story more depth? (oh noes we have to actually think when watching a movie)

That stuff was added as canon AFTER Phantom Menace apparently. Sam Jackson requested the purple one, and they came up with a reason for it.
Could have been, not totally sure. If Jackson is the reason for all the different color light sabers which now add to the character of the jedi using them I give him props. I seem to doubt it though. The purple light sabers meaning is something to do with tapping into the darkside just and fyi.
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2016-01-02 19:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Could have been, not totally sure. If Jackson is the reason for all the different color light sabers which now add to the character of the jedi using them I give him props. I seem to doubt it though. The purple light sabers meaning is something to do with tapping into the darkside just and fyi.

This article talks about it:
Samuel L. Jackson Was Refused A Purple Lightsaber
But Mace Windu was eventually given what he wanted…

His main reason for wanting a purple lightsaber was:
Samuel L. Jackson said:
“We had this big arena, this fight scene with all these Jedi and they’re fightin’ or whatever. And I was like, ‘well s—, I wanna be able to find myself in this big ol’ scene’"

Any something, something, dark side explanation they came up with was written in after the fact.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-01-02 21:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, in the video games, blue and green are for sentinel and guardian. They have different roles, that are expressed by the color of the saber. Yellow is a third color I believe but I forgot for what exactly. I believe that it was explained in KOTOR but it may have been explained earlier (I remember discovering this in KOTOR). They might go deeper in SWTOR, I haven't played Jedis yet so I can't tell.

At the end of the day, most (all?) SW games allowed you to use any crystal you wanted and yes, they all came from a specific planet or were altered with certain powers.

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-02 22:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I am just saying, I don't think Lucasarts said anything, other people made the ***up. Seriously, I don't think anywhere in Jedi they actually said the color green made him into a full fledge jedi.

You misunderstand, nobody said this. He lost his fathers light saber in ESB and made a new green one in ROJ. The color had nothing to do with him being a Jedi.

Sometime later, I don't think we have figured it out yet. The light saber colors became a symbol for the way each Jedi used the force.

Blue- sword skills
Green- force understanding
Purple- tapping into the darkside
orange- bravery
yellow- guardians
Red- sith/darkside Also, depending on the source the sith make their own crystals.
Hell, even a black sword exists. And I hear Asoka tono now has two white ones. I haven't started watching the new season of Rebels with my kids yet to know for sure.

The entire point is, Lucas or someone made the colors have meaning and thus created an even more interesting universe.

I, myself, coming out of the Force awakens was wondering what color light saber Rey would make during her training. As it tells you something about the person wielding it. My guess is it will be blue.

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-02 23:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It means something to that effect. It would probably take a 3 sec google search to find out exactly but w/e.

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
In fact I am going to say purple light sabers don't actually have a meaning outside of vanity.

And as usual you would be wrong.
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2016-01-02 23:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
I don't believe the purple light saber actually means this.

In fact I am going to say purple light sabers don't actually have a meaning outside of vanity.

Personally, I don't care about lightsaber colors at all because they're not discussed in the movies. That being said, it can be argued that purple may be caused by tapping into the power of the dark side, as Mace Windu used a form of lightsaber combat called Vaapad which

Wookieepedia said:
required the user to enjoy the fight, and relish the satisfaction of winning. The practitioner of Vaapad would accept the fury of their opponent, transforming them into one half of a superconducting loop, with the other half being the power of darkness inherent in the opponent. The form was also mentioned with a cautionary warning by the Jedi that use of Vaapad led the user perilously close to the dark side due to its focus on physical combat.

Edit: That's why Mace Windu was able to defeat Palpatine in 1 vs. 1 combat in Episode III. He was able to accept and redirect the power of the dark side back against Palpatine, which is made especially clear when he redirects the force lightning on Palpatine and disfigures him.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-03 00:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »
That's why Mace Windu was able to defeat Palpatine in 1 vs. 1 combat in Episode III. He was able to accept and redirect the power of the dark side back against Palpatine, which is made especially clear when he redirects the force lightning on Palpatine and disfigures him.

I always saw that scene as palpatine goading anakin into turning against the jedi. But, that makes sense as well.
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2016-01-03 00:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I always saw that scene as palpatine goading anakin into turning against the jedi. But, that makes sense as well.

Yeah, that's the other way people look at it. I think it's a mixture of both, in that Palpatine had a different plan/idea for how things would play out, but then he genuinely got whooped by Windu and had an "oh ***" moment. Then Anakin walked in and he played the situation to his advantage.

He's not more powerful than Yoda and Windu, moreso an equal. Palpatine defeated them by decades of manipulation and playing politics.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12