Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12
By fonewear 2016-01-01 11:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Altimaomega said: »
J.J. Abrams is such a fangirl of Star Wars, he's probably put that in there is a tribute to the original movie.

Turns out he did the entire movie like this. Somehow however, it turned out fairly good. I'm curious to see the opinions about in 10-20 years though.

The movie was okay. It was entertaining, although I'm not in a hurry to go see it again, and I'm on the fence about whether I'd want to own it on Blu Ray (which is always my measure of how good a film is).

The main problem I had with the movie was that it didn't feel like a new movie, it felt like a fan film. It spent too much time recreating elements of "A New Hope" and not enough time defining itself. It also didn't help that the new villain was comical rather than menacing.

How dare you be objective about a movie that means more to me than life itself !
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2016-01-01 11:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The main problem I had with the movie was that it didn't feel like a new movie, it felt like a fan film. It spent too much time recreating elements of "A New Hope" and not enough time defining itself. It also didn't help that the new villain was comical rather than menacing.
Thank you!

Hell, nobody in my family felt that was the case, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.
I felt like they really letdown what Kylo Ren could have been. They let us get really really touchy feely with him as a character, and well, that just doesn't work if you want a villain to be intimidating. Plus they basically let Rey steamroll him without any training, so, I mean... I liked him up until he doffed the helmet. It was all downhill from there.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-01 12:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Thank you!

Hell, nobody in my family felt that was the case, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.
I felt like they really letdown what Kylo Ren could have been. They let us get really really touchy feely with him as a character, and well, that just doesn't work if you want a villain to be intimidating. Plus they basically let Rey steamroll him without any training, so, I mean... I liked him up until he doffed the helmet. It was all downhill from there.
What really gets me is that, even though I knew that they weren't going to follow the books at all, but to ignore them completely?

Also, that setup to Episode VIII. If you think recreating "A New Hope" was obvious, that setup is pathetic.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-01-01 12:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure, but I was irritated with a few of the ways they just happened to "throw" certai elements of star wars RIGHT into the movie, without any reasonable explanation.

"Hey, they're attacking Jakku. Lets run to that cruiser over there!" -Rey
"What about that thing over there (Millennium Falcon)" - Finn
"No, that's a piece of junk" - Rey

So that ship just HAPPENED to be on Jakku? I get it, it was stolen, sold like 20 times over, and then she flies it out of that system. And then....guess who....HAN all of a sudden finds them in space without any reasonable explanation?

"Oh, I went back to smuggling". yeah, ok. That could have been developed maybe 100x better. Could have thrown a bounty hunter in there somewhere, since they've always been trying to capture Han since way back. but whatever.

Also thought it was kind of OBVIOUSLY subliminal how similar Finn's character was to Lando, and not just because of the skin color. Too much to debate right now, but it's clear they are bringing Lando back into the future.

The whole Rey walking off the ship after Han dies and then hugs Leia....I didn't get that. At no point in the movie did Leia ever meet Rey, so how did they just hug after Han's death? Yeah, I get that she knew Han and Leia were involved and were lovers (or does she), but she never shares one line of dialogue with Leia at all in the movie. So I just thought the idea of them hugging without ever officially meeting was kind of silly. Though, to the star wars fans, we could reason the force had something to do with it.

But give me a break. Luke spent such a long time training with Yoda in the older movies until he could ever stand against a Sith. So how could Rey just think about the force and then she;s having a lightsaber battle with the next obvious sith lord? With absolutely no training whatsoever. That would theoretically make her stronger than Luke and Anakin, since both of them needed extensive training before ever being considered a Jedi.

Overall loved the movie, but thought they rushed certain parts, and didn't explain a whole bunch to those who know the story well. To newcomer star wars fans, they probably didn't notice anything.
[+]
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2016-01-01 12:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

you also gotta remember, both Rey and Leia have knowledge of the Force, so theres that connection
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-01 12:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't like the fact that the whole story was to "find" Luke, and then ended up very easily finding him at the end.

I get that there are a lot of stars out in the universe, but for them to find him "just around the corner," it's like, are you even trying?

And how in the hell does Rey just home in on him, happen to land on that very island that is devoid of technology, that she never been to in her life, that he just happened to be on. Planets are big, it would take a long freaking time to find somebody on it, especially on a planet filled with little islands such as that one.

They should have used the Thrawn books as Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-01 12:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Schizm Gallantry said: »
It's because all of them are Skywalkers....

(And from rumors, so is Rey)
Not a rumor, that's their setup.

Episode VIII - "Rey, I am your brother!"

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-01 13:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually they are thinking she is actually Luke's daughter. If you can't kill your sister's kid, then you don't want that person to kill your daughter.
Naw, the setup I'm seeing is that Rey and Kylo Ren are siblings.

It makes sense. Both are relatively unknowns, both are about the same age, both look up to Han, Han obviously knew Rey (remember the part when Maz Kanata asked Han "who's the girl" in that cantata scene, but the scene was cut off), Han was going to invite her to be a crewmate on the Falcon, etc.

The setup is strong with the movie.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-01-01 15:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually they are thinking she is actually Luke's daughter. If you can't kill your sister's kid, then you don't want that person to kill your daughter.

It makes sense. Both are relatively unknowns, both are about the same age, both look up to Han, Han obviously knew Rey (remember the part when Maz Kanata asked Han "who's the girl" in that cantata scene, but the scene was cut off), Han was going to invite her to be a crewmate on the Falcon, etc.

Either way, the scene where Rey is having a flashback of her parents leaving her on Jakku (ship flying away) was either Luke or Leia. The idea in star wars has and always will be 'children of the force are always hidden from the sith, so that they can live on'. Remember that Leia and Luke were separated at birth; Luke being raised by Obi Wan and Leia being a resistance member who was found to be under the direction of Lando and his kingdom. Nobody knew Leia was force sensitive until it was revealed they were brother and sister in RotJ. The same story dialogue applies to the new star wars theme. Rey is the new "Leia" in a sense. She was abandoned as a child (albeit purposefully) in order to hide her from the sith. Kylo Ren was apparently supposed to be the next Jedi warrior, but he gave into the dark side. Insert Rey, the next-in-line to conquer the Sith.

I'm sure they could throw in the idea that Rey and Ren are brother and sister, as its clear that either Luke or Leia left her on Jakku. The more logical idea is that they are actually cousins., Rey being Luke's Daughter (as noted above).
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-01-01 15:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So is this a **Spoilers Thread?

I do worry the biggest Ep VIII spoiler/reveal, though, will be...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-01 21:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

Either way, the scene where Rey is having a flashback of her parents leaving her on Jakku (ship flying away) was either Luke or Leia. The idea in star wars has and always will be 'children of the force are always hidden from the sith, so that they can live on'. Remember that Leia and Luke were separated at birth; Luke being raised by Obi Wan and Leia being a resistance member who was found to be under the direction of Lando and his kingdom. Nobody knew Leia was force sensitive until it was revealed they were brother and sister in RotJ. The same story dialogue applies to the new star wars theme. Rey is the new "Leia" in a sense. She was abandoned as a child (albeit purposefully) in order to hide her from the sith. Kylo Ren was apparently supposed to be the next Jedi warrior, but he gave into the dark side. Insert Rey, the next-in-line to conquer the Sith.

I'm sure they could throw in the idea that Rey and Ren are brother and sister, as its clear that either Luke or Leia left her on Jakku. The more logical idea is that they are actually cousins., Rey being Luke's Daughter (as noted above).
Yeah, problem is, in order for Rey to be Luke's daughter, that means that Luke had to shack up with some unknown woman. Not befitting to a Jedi to shack up and leave children with their mothers by themselves.

The only couple in the movie that could produce Jedi children are: Han Solo and Leia Organa-Solo (or Princess Leia if you want to completely ignore the books, like Disney is doing).
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-01 21:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, problem is, in order for Rey to be Luke's daughter, that means that Luke had to shack up with some unknown woman. Not befitting to a Jedi to shack up and leave children with their mothers by themselves.

The only couple in the movie that could produce Jedi children are: Han Solo and Leia Organa-Solo (or Princess Leia if you want to completely ignore the books, like Disney is doing).

There's a whole massive series of novels that are considered canon, and Luke not only does shack up with a woman, her name is known, and they do have a son.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-01 21:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »

There's a whole massive series of novels that are considered canon, and Luke not only does shack up with a woman, her name is known, and they do have a son.
Problem is, canon has been thrown out the door with Episode VII.

Assume the same with VIII and IX.
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2016-01-01 22:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

So I see most missed the part where supreme leader Snoke tells Kylo that it is time to complete his training. So yeah he's not a Sith yet.... and is Snoke just a Wizard of Oz copy?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-01 22:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Raistlinmaj said: »
So I see most missed the part where supreme leader Snoke tells Kylo that it is time to complete his training. So yeah he's not a Sith yet.... and is Snoke just a Wizard of Oz copy?
Wouldn't that make Supreme Leader Snoke a complete jackass then?

I mean, who sends out amateurs to do a Sith Lord's work? Talk about lazy!
By Altimaomega 2016-01-02 00:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

A bunch of new books and comics and both the Rebels and Clone war cartoons are now cannon. Disney has been busy!

On the note that Luke cannot be married because he is a Jedi. Nobody ever passed that information onto him in the new cannon. (I don't know about the old cannon only that he was married to a sith and had a son.)

They have been taking things out of the old non-canon books and reusing it in the new cannon. Not a bad thing as long as it works.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-01-02 01:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »

A bunch of new books and comics and both the Rebels and Clone war cartoons are now cannon. Disney has been busy!

On the note that Luke cannot be married because he is a Jedi. Nobody ever passed that information onto him in the new cannon. (I don't know about the old cannon only that he was married to a sith and had a son.)

They have been taking things out of the old non-canon books and reusing it in the new cannon. Not a bad thing as long as it works.
>Han dies before Chewbacca
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-01-02 01:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody missed this. But when we speak about Kylo, we've pretty much gotten past the point where we recognize him as a Padwan-type dark sider. He's about to be a Sith, similar to Anakin during godawful ORDER 66, when dude turned extra emo with red eyes killing all the younglings. Dudes go full retard when they do something pure emo.

And killing Han was the most emo moment of the movie.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-01-02 01:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Who also happens to be named Ben, but as noted all the old EU books are now non-canon. Rey also seems to be a bit of a Jaina (one of Han & Leia's twin children) expy - Jedi, gifted pilot and duelist, knack for all things technological. Jacen (her twin brother) seems absent from the story though. Probably for the best considering how badly the EU books butchered him at the end.

So far as we know, Luke is either unaware of previous Order rules regarding marriage or would have had to stumble across that information on his own. Even if he did know, that's not necessarily to say he'd attempt to enforce that rule going forwards.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2016-01-02 01:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Luke got it on like donkey kong with Mara Jade in the old EU. And yeah, nobody ever told Luke not to get it on like donkey kong in the OT. Somewhere in the EU, it used to be stated that Jedi weren't supposed to form romantic bonds, because it leads to Force Dynasties, which are inevitably corrupted/charged by emotion etc.

As for people thinking you need to be Force Sensitive to have Force Sensitive children... nope! But it is guaranteed that if you are Force Sensitive and have children, that your children too, will be Force Sensitive. The Jedi used to scout out Force Sensitive children and take them away at early an age as possible, so that they'd be more easily impressed and not have a strong familial/emotional bond with someone.

I personally think that JJ isn't going to get clever with Rey's lineage. I think she'll be revealed to be Luke's daughter, and that most of the mystery will actually lie around who SL Snoke is and such.

However, I am really into this wild theory that has almost no ground in canon, that Rey is somehow Obi Wan's grand daughter. In just the movie canon, and clone wars asides, there's really no basis for it. We see Obi Wan be celibate and unattached for all the prequels and A New Hope. The time gaps and age disparities also don't play well into it, but it is possible, though the setup for it would need so much explaining that I don't think there'd be a satisfactory way to showcase it in the movie. It's just interesting, because all references to Obi Wan(outside of Kylo's other name) in VII are in Rey. Mind Trick, Starkiller disabling, sneaking around quite well under Imperial noses, English accent, clothing style, hair color, and hermit lifestyle. I'd like to think they're connected.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-01-02 01:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is where the story has lost me. If the Jedi are not supposed to procreate (ala Love), then what the heck? Doesn't that just aid the Sith's ultimate goal of making the Jedi extinct? That older order of business revealed in the earlier movies has to be long gone now, since the Jedi order is all but gone now.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-02 01:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
gifted pilot and duelist, knack for all things technological.

See this sounds like luke and darth vader too me. Obi didn't like flying actually.

Asura.Vyre said: »
Rey. Mind Trick, Starkiller disabling, sneaking around quite well under Imperial noses, English accent, clothing style, hair color, and hermit lifestyle. I'd like to think they're connected.
I took those things as just a call back too episode 4.

You could say she is a desert planet dweller that gets recruited to go on a mission that ends her up joining the resistance only to go and be trained by the last jedi master. Very lukeish.

It will actually be very hard to explain away all the similarity's between her and Luke and make the story line make sense and/or satisfactory going forward.

The next movie has very good potential if they do not throw out a stupid curve ball.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-02 02:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Who also happens to be named Ben, but as noted all the old EU books are now non-canon. Rey also seems to be a bit of a Jaina (one of Han & Leia's twin children) expy - Jedi, gifted pilot and duelist, knack for all things technological. Jacen (her twin brother) seems absent from the story though. Probably for the best considering how badly the EU books butchered him at the end.

So far as we know, Luke is either unaware of previous Order rules regarding marriage or would have had to stumble across that information on his own. Even if he did know, that's not necessarily to say he'd attempt to enforce that rule going forwards.

I was trying to avoid too many spoilers, and I've only begun to read most of the written material. Either way, I think it's a decent bet that Rey is Luke's daughter.
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2016-01-02 07:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It would also be my guess that Rey has had some previous Jedi training, but that her memories have been suppressed. I mean she totally stomps all over Kylo, all too easy like.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-02 09:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It would also be my guess that Rey has had some previous Jedi training, but that her memories have been suppressed. I mean she totally stomps all over Kylo, all too easy like.

That kind of bugged me, actually. Luke had far more training we knew about before he faced Vader the first time and he got his butt whooped. I know kylo is just a baby sith, but he's had far more training and practice even if his head is all over the place.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-02 09:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I still say that Rey and Kylo are siblings.

Only time (and Disney) will tell.

Still wished they didn't throw the entire EU out the door.....

I mean, how awesome would it have been to have a Thrawn trilogy? Even if they had to CG the entire movie?
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2016-01-02 10:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get how people can think Rey is Luke's daughter.

Was Luke like "I WAS STRANDED WITHOUT PARENTS ON A DESERT PLANET, SO YOU WILL BE TOO!!" ?

Even more preposterous is thinking she's Kylo's brother. Were Leia and Han in married in China? Could they only have one child so they threw away their daughter?

Seriously we're talking about characters who are pretty much the spokesmen/women for justice in the universe...
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12