First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-01-06 12:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
I think my biggest issue with the movie is Finn.

He some random dude who got stripped away from his parents at a young age. Goes through training and mental conditioning to become a storm trooper. Does sanitation duty on the death star mk III. Gets to go on his first combat mission on Jakku. Gets into a fire fight with resistance members/sympathizers and sees his fellow troopers get shot and killed. Then decides to have a change of heart and not kill the people who were captured/trying to kill him.

Then on the escape he kills his fellow soldiers. like wtf

they call him a traitor and I get that but what i don't get is why he has this sudden change to help out the resistance. just doesn't make sense to me

More JRPG logic. Former bad guy has a change of heart because of mass deaths but has no problem killing scores of bad guys so long as it adheres to personal morality.

Or less complex, Finn is force sensitive and the brainwashing never stuck.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-01-06 12:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You're missing the most obvious of all.

Doing it for the girl, yo.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2016-01-06 12:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
You're missing the most obvious of all.

Doing it for the girl, yo.

This...

100x....

This....

How do they get us to do whatever they want EVERY SINGLE TIME?
By Ramyrez 2016-01-06 13:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »

At the risk of a sarcastic answer reminding me of where we're discussing this, and the nature of the discussion...

...you've had sex with a girl, right? I mean, it's pretty great.

[Insert Lonely Island's "I Just Had Sex," as I'm not sure the mods would let a video of it fly.]
By Jetackuu 2016-01-06 13:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
I think my biggest issue with the movie is Finn.

He some random dude who got stripped away from his parents at a young age. Goes through training and mental conditioning to become a storm trooper. Does sanitation duty on the death star mk III. Gets to go on his first combat mission on Jakku. Gets into a fire fight with resistance members/sympathizers and sees his fellow troopers get shot and killed. Then decides to have a change of heart and not kill the people who were captured/trying to kill him.

Then on the escape he kills his fellow soldiers. like wtf

they call him a traitor and I get that but what i don't get is why he has this sudden change to help out the resistance. just doesn't make sense to me
Were you watching the same movie as everyone else?

It's pretty clear that he was taking issue with the senseless slaughter of the town, not just death itself.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2016-01-06 13:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

At the risk of a sarcastic answer reminding me of where we're discussing this, and the nature of the discussion...

...you've had sex with a girl, right? I mean, it's pretty great.

[Insert Lonely Island's "I Just Had Sex," as I'm not sure the mods would let a video of it fly.]

It was a sarcastic question...

and in spite of sounding like as *** with this response...

WHOOSH...
By Ramyrez 2016-01-06 13:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2016-01-06 13:27:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I see that GIF and I stare at post counts on this forum, I wonder which one of us spends more time on the internet?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-01-06 13:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

A post count argument, been some time since I've seen that card.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-01-06 13:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

clearly the purple light saber means the user has been in contact with the dark side of force, but the dark side of the force is just taking time to proc and the sword has not turned red yet.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-01-06 14:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I see that GIF and I stare at post counts on this forum, I wonder which one of us spends more time on the internet?

Or maybe it means they're just such a bad mother *** that they can use some Dark Side powers and it ain't no thang.
By Ramyrez 2016-01-06 14:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That's unfortunate, because you were supposed to see the gif and realize that the response you gave me was the result of you being "whooshed," not the other way around.

I admit it lost a little something by not actually being able to post the video, but I didn't think about it until after I had already almost done it. Ah well.

It's okay. Sometimes I'm too subtle. And sometimes I'm actually taking something too literally and being serious. Either way, tone down the passive aggressive digs and tropesque arguments there, because my post count is less indicative of "time on the internet without a life" and more indicative of "I spend a lot of time on the phone at work calling places that leave me on hold for minutes at a time, and this fills the gaps better than muzak."
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2016-01-06 15:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually liked Finn.. keep in mind that some of his plotline is shoddy, and I admit that.

But the coolest thing for me is having a slightly different brand of hero. Been done before.. sure, but rare. Not his change of heart either.. but the fact that in this type of movie, rather than wake up the next day as Rambo - he wants no parts.

Most movies would've had him turn into a bada*s over night instead of a flight-risk possible coward who is swayed by the all powerful vag.

His motivation is in getting the hell out of the area. Sure he kills a few people, but he just doesn't want to wantonly kill people for no reason.. like when they order them to shoot all the prisoners.. and once he gets out, he just wants to get gone. But having no family and friends his whole life, he finally bonds with a girl.. and has a change of heart.

Also, Purple lightsabers.. the reason for them is because the CGI animator colors them purple. It's really that simple, what you need to tell yourself at night to make yourself go to sleep is something else altogether.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-01-06 20:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Finn's accuracy with a blaster went way up after he renounced being a Stormtrooper. I think he couldn't help but kill a few people, as a result, on the way out.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-01-06 20:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't recall him shooting anything while he was a Stormtrooper.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-01-06 21:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

No one ever follows Nik around, nitpicking his jokes apart. ;_; How does he manage it? Is it the Snidely Whiplash moustache? 9_-;;

I think I need a moustache... :p

/parkeredit
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2016-01-06 23:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just wondering if more hands will get cut off.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-06 23:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-01-07 08:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »

No one ever follows Nik around, nitpicking his jokes apart. ;_; How does he manage it? Is it the Snidely Whiplash moustache? 9_-;;

I think I need a moustache... :p

/parkeredit

Now you know what it's like to write a Star Wars movie.

It's actual quality doesn't matter.

Someone is going to be there to talk down about it with a smug Eurotrash sense of superiority.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-01-07 13:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Asura.Vyre said: »
I'm just wondering if more hands will get cut off.

Waiter, there is a hand in my soup.

Hands always get cut off.

Christopher Lee's reaction is priceless.
[+]
By Malebolge 2016-01-07 22:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

keel him. dew it.
By fonewear 2016-01-08 11:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

this review is amazing.

http://www.examiner.com/review/classic-film-review-star-wars-the-force-awakens-2015

But, then again, what is the point of criticizing “The Force Awakens” for a lack of originality? The fanboys have already arm-twisted the culture to ensure that it is considered an instant classic, so any attempt at criticism is moot. And at the screening I attended, the film was preceded with trailers for the new “Star Trek” adventure, the new “X-Men” flick, the next “Kung Fu Panda” caper and the “Batman v. Superman” mash-up. Anyone seeking originality in today’s popular culture probably have to search for it in a galaxy far, far away – because you will not find in today’s cinemas.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-01-08 12:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The fanboys have already arm-twisted the culture to ensure that it is considered an instant classic

Aside from the Fanboys who won't stop crying about how awful it is?

I'm sure this guy is out there supporting independent/small budget arts and entertainment films, helping them get distributed or see the light of day, right? I bet he totally is out there stumping for at least two or three up-and-comers who are cutting their teeth and just need an in with industry insiders.

This guy may as well be on FFXI expressing his opinion for all the good his whining about "lack of originality" is doing through a major publication.

Big budget movies are nearly always going to lack originality in some way. Even if it's a fresh take on an old favorite such as reworking James Bond or something. Studios are not going to -- and would be foolish to -- put down nine-figure budgets for unproven commodities.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-08 12:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The fanboys have already arm-twisted the culture to ensure that it is considered an instant classic

I'm sure this guy is out there supporting independent/small budget arts and entertainment films, helping them get distributed or see the light of day, right? I bet he totally is out there stumping for at least two or three up-and-comers who are cutting their teeth and just need an in with industry insiders.

This guy may as well be on FFXI expressing his opinion for all the good his whining about "lack of originality" is doing through a major publication.

Big budget movies are nearly always going to lack originality in some way. Even if it's a fresh take on an old favorite such as reworking James Bond or something. Studios are not going to -- and would be foolish to -- put down nine-figure budgets for unproven commodities.
I think there's a difference between making something new with something known (Lord of the Rings comes to mind), vs. the rehashing of more than 90% of the entire movie from a single prior movie in the series.

I mean, come on, only people who never seen New Hope would have never seen the similarities.
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-01-08 13:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I don't understand the complaints about the similarities.

All anyone would ask for, for decades, was new Star Wars that felt like the old ones. Well, you got it.

Episode VIII is Rian Johnson, so I expect it will be a very different sort of tone with new directions in story, but as a functional reboot* of the series? This was fine.

* = reboot in the sense that it was meant to wash away the taste of the prequels, and wipe out the EU so they can tell new stories.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-01-08 13:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I think there's a difference between making something new with something known (Lord of the Rings comes to mind), vs. the rehashing of more than 90% of the entire movie from a single prior movie in the series.

I mean, come on, only people who never seen New Hope would have never seen the similarities.

I'm not really taking this opportunity to defend the movie's lack of originality in any regard, whether I agree with that or not (I've already stated my opinions on this).

What I'm doing is stating why someone who is, at least ostensibly, a knowledgeable critic should know better than to whine about a lack of originality in big-budget films.

I'm talking business decisions here, something you -- of all people -- should be able to get behind me on. Even LotR was a massive gamble for which pieces had to fall into place correctly for everything to work. And even it still had massive detractors among diehard LotR fans, of which I am one (a fan, not a detractor). Some people simply can't be pleased with anything. The difference is, you simply didn't know as many of them and the internet wasn't quite what it was today yet.

See how poorly execs and producers subsequently handled The Hobbit for an example of how critically every step must be planned and executed lest you suffer tremendous blows to your bottom line.

As pertains to the topic, Star Wars itself (that is, episode IV), was low budget and basically just George Lucas rehashing the B-grade space operas of his youth and injecting various aspects of other cultures he appreciated and allegories with varying degrees of veiling.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-01-08 13:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
I guess I don't understand the complaints about the similarities.

All anyone would ask for, for decades, was new Star Wars that felt like the old ones. Well, you got it.

Episode VIII is Rian Johnson, so I expect it will be a very different sort of tone with new directions in story, but as a functional reboot* of the series? This was fine.

* = reboot in the sense that it was meant to wash away the taste of the prequels, and wipe out the EU so they can tell new stories.

Movie is top notch, I'd willingly pay money to see it a half a dozen times.

My only point of scoff was when they showed the old death star against the new death planet. For that brief second it felt a tiny bit cheesy. But no more cheesy than when I think about a second half completed death star for return of the jedi.
[+]
By Artemicion 2016-01-08 13:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, there's nothing wrong with playing it safe now that I really think about it. I got the popcorn munching blockbuster throwback I had been expecting ever since learning about the production of episode 7. Taking radical risks in tone, direction, casting, scripting, storyboard, etc. is skewed out of favor as far as the reward to risk ratio is concerned. I mean, look what happened to the Fantastic Four reboot; could you imagine the magnified backlash if TFA went a similar route?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12