BLU in Delve
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-10-23 16:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i understand what you mean, i would play ffxi but i can just as easily roleplay a tycoon with some dice and a monopoly board
 Asura.Ccl
Server: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-10-23 16:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Asura.Ccl said: »
Dang if only they did the same mistake as fishing and allow the game to divide by zero once more :(

Also I was wrong, I will jump on the blu bandwagon!

SO CCL I WAS RIGHT

I want you to say it.

PLUS this also proves SPreadhseets are WRONG because they have flawed math and don't account damage correctly

HENCE SPREADSHEET MENTALITY RUINS PLAYER BASE.

Spreadsheet are correct; I wasn't up to date on that mdb thing! Also I'm a biochemist I have no shame admitting when I'm wrong and someone else is right!

It's seems more like a fun tool to me atm, but game is zzzz boring so might as well try it
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-23 16:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So we're content with complaining about its inaccuracies and the effect they have on your peers, but taking a moment to point out an apparently obvious error is simply unthinkable

I can't tell if you're pompous or just a sociopath
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skudo
Server: Carbuncle
user: SKudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2014-10-23 16:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a biochemist

That's why your math sucks.

Sincerely,

Biochemist
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-10-23 16:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skudo said: »
I'm a biochemist

That's why your math sucks.

Sincerely,

Biochemist

Cause not knowing about something that pretty much double ws dmg on his own= being bad at math; also I'm surprised most adoulin/119+ boss don't have a huge amount of mdb.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-23 17:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
So we're content with complaining about its inaccuracies and the effect they have on your peers, but taking a moment to point out an apparently obvious error is simply unthinkable

Personal attack, now I'm upset!! Jk, I don't have feelings probably putting me closer to the sociopath category.

I'm not complaining about the tool (spreadsheet) I'm irritated that people try to make it the infallible tool for any damage comparison.
Comparison: because a hammer is a good tool, and I could use it to open a can of beans, doesn't mean it's best suited for the job.
 Carbuncle.Skudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2014-10-23 17:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Somewhere on this world, mathematicians apparently think biochemists are capable of doing math.

Not here though. Here, "we" suck at math. Stereotypes etc.

Also, jokes don't work on the internets. I forgot about that. My bad.
[+]
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-23 17:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Some biochemists >> other biochemists

Also I can't wait for SE to release the biochemist job they have been taughting
[+]
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-10-23 17:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Dang if only they did the same mistake as fishing and allow the game to divide by zero once more :(

None of whats said regarding absurd damage actually requires a BLU, a GEO with idris can reach the likely -50% mdef cap on there own and GEO also has flash nova, but its no leaden salute. Go make an idris.
[+]
By Nazrious 2014-10-23 17:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Doctorugh said: »

Personal attack, now I'm upset!! Jk, I don't have feelings probably putting me closer to the sociopath category.

I'm not complaining about the tool (spreadsheet) I'm irritated that people try to make it the infallible tool for any damage comparison.
Comparison: because a hammer is a good tool, and I could use it to open a can of beans, doesn't mean it's best suited for the job.

Trying the same thing over and over expecting different results, makes you more insane than anything Doc. People will argue against it Just cause, for no other reason but to bash for the fun of it.

It's a shame that current Blu is on Higher level then Mnks were pre WS buff but while it was Mnk-onry mentality then it is simply SAM-onry mentality now. People Make the PUG argument but sad thing is this mentality bleeds into every aspect of Play, PUG and LS, Endgame content.

Currently With out the Crazy EZ button that is SAM the game would be pretty balanced. Content would be very much possible and there would be Diversity of DD choices. SE however manages to take 3 steps back for every step forward time and again so there generalized buffs end up messing up any gains they make with their tailored adjustments.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-23 17:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk much about Idris, how does that get more mdb?
 Carbuncle.Skudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2014-10-23 17:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk much about Idris, how does that get more mdb?

It seems to be the difference between MDB-29 (16/16 merits, missing Geomancy skill +1 from +10 on Lifestream Cape) and MDB-44 (as reported in that BG thread).
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-10-23 20:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

COR now, please.

This has nothing to do with BLU....nor COR, it's all *** GEO :( -10 MDB from BT isn't broken, 7~8k leaden salute isn't broken(but close), but double magical dmg from GEO debuff is.....you can just bring a SCH and do 20k magic burst as well....
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-23 20:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »

COR now, please.

This has nothing to do with BLU....nor COR, it's all *** GEO :( -10 MDB from BT isn't broken, 7~8k leaden salute isn't broken(but close), but double magical dmg from GEO debuff is.....you can just bring a SCH and do 20k magic burst as well....

More the fact a GEO can allow a BLU to dish out 20k ws's is Broken.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-23 21:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My wife is the hottest thing to ever be created on the face of the earth!
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-23 21:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You realize your argument could just as easily be applied to early calculators and computers?

Of course the spreadsheets aren't perfect. That doesn't make them useless, nor does it have any barring on the fact the they will be relied upon by the vast majority of your min-maxing peers. By withholding corrections, you're impeding upon the growth of an already pretty small community, many of whom you'll probably end up having to play with at some point or another.

Moreover, should a time come when the spreadsheets possess the totality of our mechanical knowledge(which isn't particularly far-fetched), they will be superior to hand calculations. That's inarguable, so foregoing corrections on the basis of inaccuracy-based-abstinence is.. rather antithetical, if not just obnoxious.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-23 21:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

My wife is the hottest thing to ever be created on the face of the earth!

You're married to Fukushima reactor number 4?
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-23 22:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You realize your argument could just as easily be applied to early calculators and computers?

Of course the spreadsheets aren't perfect. That doesn't make them useless, nor does it have any barring on the fact the they will be relied upon by the vast majority of your min-maxing peers. By withholding corrections, you're impeding upon the growth of an already pretty small community, many of whom you'll probably end up having to play with at some point or another.

Moreover, should a time come when the spreadsheets possess the totality of our mechanical knowledge(which isn't particularly far-fetched), they will be superior to hand calculations. That's inarguable, so foregoing corrections on the basis of inaccuracy-based-abstinence is.. rather antithetical, if not just obnoxious.

Don't think anyone's Arguing this just he finds it funny people didn't know this already as it's somewhat common Knowledge on Cerberus.
By Nazrious 2014-10-24 00:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't think anyone's Arguing this just he finds it funny people didn't know this already as it's somewhat common Knowledge on Cerberus.

Common knowledge does not equate to common sense. Knowing the spreadsheets are fallible/flawed does not keep people from blindly abiding by them, and attempting to use them as fact.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-10-24 00:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

COR now, please.

I still think it's not intended design to double magic dmg with a geo, 120k dmg with 3000 tp leaden dark sc just sounds broken. Last time when SCH 1 shot content like that it's nerfed instantly.

Could be a exploit in mdb calculation that they didn't notice with geo mdb-.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-24 00:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

COR now, please.

I still think it's not intended design to double magic dmg with a geo, 120k dmg with 3000 tp leaden dark sc just sounds broken. Last time when SCH 1 shot content like that it's nerfed instantly.

We've been exploiting this then for months and I don't see a nerf!
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-10-24 00:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Nazrious said: »

Common knowledge does not equate to common sense. Knowing the spreadsheets are fallible/flawed does not keep people from blindly abiding by them, and attempting to use them as fact.

There is nothing wrong with using spreadsheet, it's still the most accurate way to have dps discussion. the hole in mdb mechanic is a special case and quite likely to get a fix once ppl start to abuse it.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-10-24 00:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

COR now, please.

Did you make a 120k 1 shot vid and post on OF? :P
By Nazrious 2014-10-24 00:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

There is nothing wrong with using spreadsheet, it's still the most accurate way to have dps discussion. the hole in mdb mechanic is a special case and quite likely to get a fix once ppl start to abuse it.

I have to disagree, in regards to theoretical DPS then yes, but practical discussion can only be left to parses, many of them with an emphasis on control for variables which can be, ie buffs and debuffs. After collecting many parses then you can start to construct tables/ graphs. However very few people care to do this sort of work anymore.

Also note each event would require its own set of separate data from parses.

Spreadsheets are easier, not better.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-24 00:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

COR now, please.

Did you make a 120k 1 shot vid and post on OF? :P

No because im not HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, we did post a few screenshots on of 1 shot Leaden salutes however.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-24 00:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to disagree, in regards to theoretical DPS then yes, but practical discussion can only be left to parses, many of them with an emphasis on control for variables which can be, ie buffs and debuffs. After collecting many parses then you can start to construct tables/ graphs. However very few people care to do this sort of work anymore.

Also note each event would require its own set of separate data from parses.

Spreadsheets are easier, not better.

You seem to be under the impression that removing variables from a parse is simpler than adding variables to a forecast

Because, no
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-24 00:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither spreadsheets(which, again, are glorified calculators- they're fallible insofar as the operator is) nor parses are good for literal comparisons, but parses are demonstrably terrible for nearly everything
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-24 01:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither spreadsheets(which, again, are glorified calculators- they're fallible insofar as the operator is) nor parses are good for literal comparisons, but parses are demonstrably terrible for nearly everything

Parses, assuming the same player's, are again subject to "player skill within a certain role" this means a poor player may not be using ja's correctly / ws timely etc etc so all data collected from Parse results are meaningless in this respect.

However that said you can to some degree make a parse calculate potential buff loss duration, however this is again subject to the competency of the buffers and whether the reapply promptly, which again is down to not only skill but the flow of battle, something not so easy to quantify mathematically.

The only real comparison one can draw up that "should be as close as humanly possible" is unfortunately Spreadsheet analyses, however it should always be kept in your mind that any spreadsheet you punch data into is only as good or as thorough as the creator, and founded on whether the correct formula and values are known.

The issue we have with FFXI is that no one knows every single mechanic and their formula making it very difficult to account for everything, then the spreadsheets need to have correlated data to show amount x may form in Defense mode if x only has 400 defense etc vs if x has 1700 defense will he need to us PDT?

This information can be included in spreadsheets the issue with this however is the amount of data you put into what could be any number of events would require not only the empirical data from trialing over a large enough sample size to get accurate "averages" on battle flow etc and potential damage taken but again this data is subjective to whether the mages and supports are pro-active, whether the preemptively cure and cureskin, or whether the play in a reactive manner. Spreadsheets even with this data are flawed and will never truly be perfect as people are human and we through out anomalous results all the time due to sickness, energy levels, level of alertness, interest, adrenaline etc etc.

All spreadsheet data can do is give you a "good Idea" and can in theory be better than parses.

The crux of this current argument however I believe has gotten off point, it is not is x better than y, it's are the FFXI Spreadsheets currently available accurate enough to better than a parse?

Well in as much as Magic Defense formula are not written in them, no. This is a fundamental flaw in its design that would not have been known had it not been for the discovery in GEO and MDB being reduced from 100 base.

This means that as we do not have all the data we can not with any level of certainty be sure the spreadsheets will ever be accurate enough to use over parse data entirely, that's not to take away from the fact the information in them is on the most part correct or very helpful and informative on DPS calculations, it more take it with a pinch of salt and don't complain when you lose using someone elses data.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-24 01:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You seem to be casually ignoring that nearly every flaw in a spreadsheet is going to affect everyone equally. What you're left with is a scaled down version of an otherwise accurate forecast, or a parse, that is again, almost literally useless for everything but determining which of your peers is terrible in the field

Middle ground fallacy all over the place; No matter how inadmissible forecast may be, a parse is still going to be worthless
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-24 01:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

And honestly if this terrible argument comes down to, "parses are better than forecasts because forecasts have yet to include this really simple data that can be included at any time", I think we're about done here
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12