First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-05 18:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been already addressed the niche utility, you have a challenged intellect for disregarding it just to empower your argument like some absolute has been stated.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-05 18:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if we're gonna talk about how DRK is "best" for tanking things because Catastrophe heals you or whatever your argument is, then just bring a BLU anyway.

-Superior defensive power while sacrificing 0 offensive power
-Superior weaponskill
-Doesn't require a relic to use said superior weaponskill
-Superior everything because blue magic is best magic
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-09-05 18:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
You're allowed to be different all you desire, that's absolutely fine. But don't go saying it's better.
Exactly.
Ah yes, you're the one that started this ***storm. Now please go and quote where any of the Apoc or Scythe DRKS said that Apoc was superior. You will be delighted to know that you have been arguing with yourself this entire time.
 Asura.Vafruvant
Server: Asura
user: Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-09-05 18:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
You're allowed to be different all you desire, that's absolutely fine. But don't go saying it's better.

Better is a technical and subjective term. Things aren't always linear and in trying to make things a better vs worst situation you oversimplify things. This is the habit of a lazy and challenged intellect.

EDIT: I don't use words like "better". So you will be hard pressed to find where I stated Apoc was better. All I said was for a DRK Main, Entropy is a must. If DRK is your main, you're playing it large man, low man, solo and plain old "fun" content as well as farming runs. Is Instant MP valid in any of those situations?
Since you don't seem to get the point of the thread and continue to harp on the fact that it's usable in very select situations therefore making it required, I'm going to quote myself, if only to reiterate the point, and hopefully you'll pay attention:
Asura.Vafruvant said: »
Let's cycle back to the original point, the original question asked:

"re evaluating my merit-able weapons based on practicality"

There is nothing *practical* about the applications in which you're suggesting Apoc to be necessary. *practical* would be things that will be used on a regular basis, not some niche use that is only applicable with a Relic in low-man content.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-05 18:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah yes, you're the one that started this ***storm. Now please go and quote where any of the Apoc or Scythe DRKS said that Apoc was superior. You will be delighted to know that you have been arguing with yourself this entire time.
"Entropy is a must for main DRKS; a weapon skill that does decent dmg and caps your mp back up, paired with Catastrophe = infinite MP and HP."
Saying something is a must for a main Drk is asserting that it is superior in some way to other options.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-05 18:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

People should use what they have, if they can't invest new millions on a Ragnarok that's fine, use your scythe. But any main drk won't need Entropy for ***unless they possess Liberator. Cause if yuor selling point of Apoc is spamming Cata then what are you doing with Entropy? If you want your Apoc to do more dmg *gasp* change weapon.
 Bismarck.Marmite
Server: Bismarck
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2014-09-05 18:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-09-05 18:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow this has been going on for 5 pages now?
By Blazed1979 2014-09-05 18:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

"Entropy is a must for main DRKS; a weapon skill that does decent dmg and caps your mp back up, paired with Catastrophe = infinite MP and HP."
Saying something is a must for a main Drk is asserting that it is superior in some way to other options.

Again with the "superior"...

Better is a technical and subjective term. Things aren't always linear and in trying to make things a better vs worst situation you oversimplify things. This is the habit of a lazy and challenged intellect.

EDIT: I don't use words like "better". So you will be hard pressed to find where I stated Apoc was better. All I said was for a DRK Main, Entropy is a must. If DRK is your main, you're playing it large man, low man, solo and plain old "fun" content as well as farming runs. Is Instant MP valid in any of those situations?
Since you don't seem to get the point of the thread and continue to harp on the fact that it's usable in very select situations therefore making it required, I'm going to quote myself, if only to reiterate the point, and hopefully you'll pay attention:

There is nothing *practical* about the applications in which you're suggesting Apoc to be necessary. *practical* would be things that will be used on a regular basis, not some niche use that is only applicable with a Relic in low-man content.

Regular use? Please tell me what regular use is defined as in FFXI and then tell me exactly how you established to be regular gameplay. There is merit to gaining Entropy. I don't know why it is so hard to fathom. It doesn't mean Apoc > Rag in dps, it doesn't mean the sky is pink. Quit all acting like its blasphemy for people to do things with drk other than spam resolution on delve bosses.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-05 18:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't understand why you asked me to check your characters anyway. What exactly I should be looking at?
By Blazed1979 2014-09-05 18:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't understand why you asked me to check your characters anyway. What exactly I should be looking at?
This is why
This game gets its results from formulas, Apoc is greatly inferior to a gs in group play. No point being butthurt, it's fine to use it if that's what you worked on but it's not the best.

Assumption that someone who likes Apoc and enjoys playing means they don't have access to high dmg output weapons. I've got access to more weapons than you and Failarse combined.
 Asura.Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-09-05 18:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Regular use? Please tell me what regular use is defined as in FFXI and then tell me exactly how you established to be regular gameplay. There is merit to gaining Entropy. I don't know why it is so hard to fathom. It doesn't mean Apoc > Rag in dps, it doesn't mean the sky is pink. Quit all acting like its blasphemy for people to do things with drk other than spam resolution on delve bosses.
Regular [reg-yuh-ler]
adjective
1. usual; normal; customary:

You didn't start your argument with "it has merit". You engaged this argument with "Entropy is a must for main DRKS" which isn't the case. Just because you're DRK main doesn't mean you're going to go out of your way to show you're able to low-man things unnecessarily just to prove a point, which is *ALL* of the events you brought up.
 Phoenix.Libbien
Server: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2014-09-05 18:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention that saying it's a must implies that a drk won't get invites to events without it. It's certainly useful, but calling it a "must" then proceeding to make a case for its utility purposes in lower end content or off the wall scenarios just doesn't make sense. I'm not a drk so I don't really care/know what drk needs, but I wasted my time reading several pages of this so felt obliged to post.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-05 18:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Regular [reg-yuh-ler]
adjective

You didn't start your argument with "it has merit". You engaged this argument with "Entropy is a must for main DRKS" which isn't the case. Just because you're DRK main doesn't mean you're going to go out of your way to show you're able to low-man things unnecessarily just to prove a point, which is *ALL* of the events you brought up.

Lets simplify this - answer me this question
Is DRK better off or worse off with Entropy?

There is your justification to have it, if you are a DRK main.
 Asura.Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-09-05 18:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Regular [reg-yuh-ler]
adjective

Is DRK better off or worst off with Entropy?

Better off has nothing to do with it. You are arguing that it is *required* for DRK, which it's not. Every job is "better off" with all of the merit WSs available, but that doesn't mean they're a must in order to play that job *regularly*.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-05 18:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Assumption that someone who likes Apoc and enjoys playing means they don't have access to high dmg output weapons. I've got access to more weapons than you and Failarse combined.
This is so stupid, who cares what who has, the discussion isn't about who got more achievement points.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-05 18:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Regular [reg-yuh-ler]
adjective

Is DRK better off or worst off with Entropy?

Better off has nothing to do with it. You are arguing that it is *required* for DRK, which it's not. Every job is "better off" with all of the merit WSs available, but that doesn't mean they're a must in order to play that job *regularly*.

Good effort at dodging the question. Are you going to loose forum cred by answering it?

By your "require" logic, 99% of jobs don't need their spells, job abilities, weapon skills, weapons 99% of the time.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-05 18:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

This is so stupid, who cares what who has, the discussion isn't about who got more achievement points.
Yup, and no one brought up achievement points. What I did bring up was access to weapons, after you implied that those who use apoc don't have access to other weapons.
Again, you fail to see the point and only see things through your overly defensive paradigm.

Try to keep up now...
 Asura.Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-09-05 18:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Good effort at dodging the question. Are you going to loose forum cred by answering it?

By your "require" logic, 99% of jobs don't need their spells, job abilities, weapon skills, weapons 99% of the time.
How does me saying "Every job is "better off" with all of the merit WSs available" not answer your pointless question? This isn't my require logic, you were the one saying "it's a must". You're just arguing your own futile logic, at this point.

Most spells, job abilities, weapon skills and weapons aren't required 99% of the time. So to say "Entropy is a must for any main DRK 'because they will be tanking 1% of their play time in some random event just because they want to'" is counter-productive to what the OP was trying to glean from this thread.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-05 18:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't imply that; I merely gave an opening to those who have limited options to not feel bad regardless of what the discussion about the best weapon leads to.

You're the one who fail at comprehending.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-05 19:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

How does me saying "Every job is "better off" with all of the merit WSs available" not answer your pointless question? This isn't my require logic, you were the one saying "it's a must". You're just arguing your own futile logic, at this point.

Most spells, job abilities, weapon skills and weapons aren't required 99% of the time. So to say "Entropy is a must for any main DRK 'because they will be tanking 1% of their play time in some random event just because they want to'" is counter-productive to what the OP was trying to glean from this thread.

Because its not true?
WAR isn't better off with every Mertiable WS available to it because in the scenario where a WAR decided to Merit every single one, they would be gimping themselves. The same can be said of every job.

Quit dodging the question, just answer it: (and by it, I mean this specific question. Don't run away. Here I will make it multiple choice for you)

IS DRK better off or worse off with access to entropy or not?
- Better
- Worse
- I'm scared
- I don't know
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-09-05 19:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed, stop with your attitude. Seriously.

Also this derails from the original point of the thread. OP wanted useful ws, ws that are used in abundance/regularly no matter the situation. This isn't a "well it's there I may as well put a point in it" this is "are there superior options or better uses for my points?"
By Blazed1979 2014-09-05 19:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If by attitude you mean schooling, sure.
On Topic - most of the highest dps output comes from other weaponskills for most jobs. So if you're going to spend points on the Merit weaponskills, you should seek to gain something from them. Since in most cases they do not compete with the empyrean weapon skills, you might want to get some of them for utility. Like Entropy or Requiscat.

EDIT: There are some few exceptions like Like Stand and Resolution.
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-05 19:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

"Schooling"
[+]
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2014-09-05 19:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-09-05 19:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Because its not true?
WAR isn't better off with every Mertiable WS available to it because in the scenario where a WAR decided to Merit every single one, they would be gimping themselves. The same can be said of every job.

Quit dodging the question, just answer it: (and by it, I mean this specific question. Don't run away. Here I will make it multiple choice for you)

IS DRK better off or worse off with access to entropy or not?
- Better
- Worse
- I'm scared
- I don't know
Last I checked, DRK was a job, and if "every job is better off" then DRK is by definition better off too. Again, however, you weren't arguing whether it's better off with it. It is a utility WS and is not required, bottom line.

Nice to have for that 1% of the time when my job will be better off with it? Yes.
Required for DRK to do it's job 99% of the time? No.
Required to have for DRK to do it's job 99% of the time? Resolution.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-05 19:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard Upheaval is pretty required for DRK, is that true?
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-05 19:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I heard Upheaval is pretty required for DRK, is that true?
I used it to solo Rw Nw Prt M Hrw once.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-05 19:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

ok tnx going 5/5
 Odin.Skeero
Server: Odin