[Dev] BLU: New Spells & Adjustments
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-06-06 17:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I muled and porter'd my BLU to save on inventory space up until the time it stops being a complete piece of sh*t... Hopefully that time is soon!
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-06-06 17:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Azryel said: »
I muled and porter'd my BLU to save on inventory space up until the time it stops being a complete piece of sh*t... Hopefully that time is soon!

It's not ***persay, but I agree it can't compete with a smart, well geared DD in new content.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-06 17:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I know how you feel man, I dropped my Terpsichore to make space for new stuff until they update RME~
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-06 17:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Lonelyhero said: »
Fenrir.Genesi said: »
Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Given the heavy-handedness of their recent adjustments (hello, Alternator!), I'm kinda expecting a pretty ridiculous buff.
I'm honestly expecting them to incorporate the base damage of the main hand in the formula. This future-proofs it against damage going up again in the future, even if it potentially kills using staves.
Funny, I could have sworn this is how it's been since BLU release (I'm no BLU). It would have made sense to at least have it be like that since it's introduction into the game. In all honesty, I don't see how a developer could even dismiss/overlook something like that. It just seems like it would have been the best plan of action IMO.
if i recall correctly it took your skill level of your main weapon into consideration instead of the base damage so with skills staying the same level blue magic would pretty much stagnate without a massive buff to sword skill level

Not to mention we're fighting higher and higher level targets while the calculation stay the same. I'm optimistic, but at the same time, BLU has the potential to be incredibly broken.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-06-06 17:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Valefor.Lonelyhero said: »
Fenrir.Genesi said: »
Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Given the heavy-handedness of their recent adjustments (hello, Alternator!), I'm kinda expecting a pretty ridiculous buff.
I'm honestly expecting them to incorporate the base damage of the main hand in the formula. This future-proofs it against damage going up again in the future, even if it potentially kills using staves.
Funny, I could have sworn this is how it's been since BLU release (I'm no BLU). It would have made sense to at least have it be like that since it's introduction into the game. In all honesty, I don't see how a developer could even dismiss/overlook something like that. It just seems like it would have been the best plan of action IMO.
if i recall correctly it took your skill level of your main weapon into consideration instead of the base damage so with skills staying the same level blue magic would pretty much stagnate without a massive buff to sword skill level

Not to mention we're fighting higher and higher level targets while the calculation stay the same. I'm optimistic, but at the same time, BLU has the potential to be incredibly broken.

Just give us a sword with 100% Death effect on strike. Job done.

We shall call it! The Chuck Norris?!
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-06 17:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
I know how you feel man, I dropped my Terpsichore to make space for new stuff until they update RME~

I put my Nagi in storage until they update NI-oh wait
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-06-06 17:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Only time I'm on BLU anymore is for Reives and occasionally Salvage. Not happy with the state SE's let the job fall into, and I didn't expect it to become so unfortunate; it fell to a poor position more quickly than it rose to its good one, which is depressing, especially as it's my favorite job.

Unfortunately I don't see these D changes coming close to solving this. New spells need to be really good and we need CDC unlocked for new swords.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Galiber
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2013-06-06 18:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Only time I'm on BLU anymore is for Reives and occasionally Salvage. Not happy with the state SE's let the job fall into, and I didn't expect it to become so unfortunate; it fell to a poor position more quickly than it rose to its good one, which is depressing, especially as it's my favorite job.

Unfortunately I don't see these D changes coming close to solving this. New spells need to be really good and we need CDC unlocked for new swords.

I feel the same way, /sadface.
 Cerberus.Wulfgarson
By Cerberus.Wulfgarson 2013-06-06 21:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

hope this will include more spell slots (+5?), and more set points (+10?)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Azryel
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-06-06 21:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wulfgarson said: »

That would be an extremely useful adjustment... I would LOVE to be able to set more spells- such limitations really gimp the true potential of BLU.
By Tickmeoff 2013-06-06 22:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Point costs could use a reduction across the board, or at least a general re-evaluation. There is no reason for spells like Maelstrom, Death Scissors, and Dimensional Death to cost 5 set points while some of our best spells only cost 1 or 2.
[+]
 Cerberus.Wulfgarson
By Cerberus.Wulfgarson 2013-06-06 22:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

agreed 100%.
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-06 23:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

That would be an extremely useful adjustment... I would LOVE to be able to set more spells- such limitations really gimp the true potential of BLU.

How on earth do you not run out of points before slots?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-07 09:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
How on earth do you not run out of points before slots?

Pretty sure he was talking about this...
By Ophannus 2013-06-07 09:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The only time I felt BLU was as powerful as it should be was in Abyssea. Abyssea was awesome because jobs which previously had lackluster damage compared to 2handers found themselves on par. At 90 cap, BLU could do tremendous damage with spells and CDC in Abyssea. Other notable jobs that had lackluster DD potential on outside abyssea NMs, shined especially inside against abyssea NMs: MNK, NIN, PUP, THF, DRG. In a way it made DDing so much easier for jobs with poor traits or damaging abilities due to Atmas and Empyrean WS. After Abyssea wore off, BLU's damage slumped back to roughly where it was comparatively speaking at 75. If anything BLU is slightly more reputable and acceptable but the damage is still meh.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-07 10:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

abby really masked the shortcomings of a lot of jobs, universal buffs made for adjustments or lack of adjustments to jobs and weapons because that was the relevant endgame. it's largely to blame for how imbalanced a lot of jobs are right now, and that's just an objective assessment, not an Abby doomsday thing.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-06-07 10:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

nice ! Can't wait :X
By maxdecphoenix 2013-06-08 22:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Doubt they'll base it off weapon DMG rating. Even though the formula (and sub-routines/functions) are already in place (used in determining D for Weapon Skills, fSTR[wpn rank], etc). 'Blu fSTR' is currently derived from 'Blu D', which itself is derived from Blu Skill.

This is already a fairly convoluted manner of deriving a variable, but if they try to rework 'Blu D/ blu fFSTR' to incorporate the DMG of the main hand weapon, you're going to run into a few problems: The primary one that sticks out in my mind, is it runs the risk of reducing the significance of 'blu magic skill' even less than it already is. What i mean is when you start adding in additional variables/factors, each term looses a bit of significance by default. And when the main skill of the job becomes increasingly less useful, as it has for blu, I have to ask, why even bother using it as a stat?

My suspicion is they're either going to:
1) increase D caps for spells to make the DMG scale "better" with level & skill (or atleast rework them to have the D cap have a closer relationship to level/skill.) This would most likely be done by increasing the skill modifier that derives blu D. As it is now, this mod being .11 of skill doubled is -abysmally- low. This has the associated bonus of increasing the significance of skill.

2) or they're going to mess with the blu fSTR cap/formula, which is currently 26 with the formula written in such a way that it boasts the dilemma of being HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE easy to max out on trash mobs, while simultaneously being virtually impossible to attain a decent value on real mobs without suffering an -unjustifiable- loss of accuracy.

Personally, I'd like to see them remove the D caps, for all physical spells, (The sort of tiered nature of spells may work for blm, rdm who have constant access to their entire spellset, but, with the nature of BLU having to set spells to obtain traits, having a tiered nature to spells borders inside the real of double jeopardy type nerfing.), however, I really think it's going to just be a change to the way fSTR is factored in.

But As someone said earlier about future proofing. It somewhat makes sense to base it of WPN Damage, but only if they're not going to increase the level cap, or increase merits, or eventually add in another non-equipment based way to personalize the base character. If they go that route, then yes, really the only way to 'future proof' or further modify the character down the line will be with equipment. But that is a scary, stagnant, WoW-like glimpse of a future. I mean they can only keep adding equipment for so long until it just becomes stagnated and absurd. 3 years from now I'd hate to see that it had devolved into hand or ranged gear with +300 BLU skill or other absurdities.

Just my thoughts.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-06-08 23:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah same here.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-06-08 23:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
After Abyssea wore off, BLU's damage slumped back to roughly where it was comparatively speaking at 75. If anything BLU is slightly more reputable and acceptable but the damage is still meh.

That's not really true- BLU was in a pretty good spot post-Abyssea to pre-Delve.

Quote:
Doubt they'll base it off weapon DMG rating. Even though the formula (and sub-routines/functions) are already in place (used in determining D for Weapon Skills, fSTR[wpn rank], etc). 'Blu fSTR' is currently derived from 'Blu D', which itself is derived from Blu Skill.

BLU fSTR caps are determined by level, not by skill.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2013-06-09 00:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

Yeah same here.

BLU being reborn was what brought me back to FFXI after a 3~ year break (left just prior to Abyssea release, returned a few weeks prior to the massive server merges). The very first thing I did was get all the spells, AF3+2 and Almace to 90 only to be soon gimped by VW and reduced to a proc-***. Nearly all my inventory was built around nearly every possible gear set for BLU, so much so that it gimped my other jobs because I just couldn't hold more gear when combined with WHM BLM SCH RDM BRD mains too. I still held on to a cannonball build until about a year ago until I decided to regain some space.

Breaking the cookie-cutter mold NNI runs by getting my first few wins on BLU. Solo and 2boxing Apademak for weeks for horns. Trying to one day measure up to Draylo's solo abilities (which never happened lol) though I had a lot of fun along the way.

Nothing else has really sparked my interest as good or as long as BLU since then. I love THF, DRK, NIN, and all my mages jobs but no where near as much as BLU.

Here's to praying SE doesn't let me down and give birth to another wave of BLU fun even if just for a little while ... and don't make it the "here's some new spells like Asuran Claws" crap either >:|
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [38 days between previous and next post]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-07-16 16:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

07-08-2013 12:53 PM
[source]
Akihiko Matsui
Dev Team

Hello, Matsui here.

I'd like to inform you about the adjustments to the damage values of physical blue magic spells.

We are currently making preparations to implement the full-blown adjustments to the damage values of physical blue magic spells in August.

There's a reason why I am saying "full-blown" here and I would like to explain what I mean by this.

With the July version update it has become possible to increase the damage value of physical blue magic spells depending on the weapon you have equipped in your main hand, but in order for this to take place the weapon must have an item level displayed and there has to be stats that modify the weapon's skill.

While this was implemented in the July version update, there are not many weapons that fulfill the above criteria at this point in time and I wanted to let you know ahead of time.
(In the July version update the only one that fulfills the criteria is a club from a new Naakual.)

The adjustment that was made in the July version update was performed in preparation for the new equipment and stat adjustments on existing equipment that will occur in the August version update. I apologize to keep you waiting until August, but we appreciate your patience.
Subscribe

Other Topics:
 Fenrir.Surgator
Server: Fenrir
user: blade4
By Fenrir.Surgator 2013-07-18 23:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i hope it's gonna be good new for blu and we will be able to bring them to every place of SoA
By macsdf1 2013-07-18 23:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly that club is only 90 dmg or so.
By Ophannus 2013-07-19 00:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Was messing around with club, seemed to add like 150ish damage to most of of my big spells (Quadratic/Heavy Strike etc). Nothing too fancy. I also don't have Realmrazer fully meritted but the Delve club is better cuz it's 130 base dmg vs the 88 i think from Tamaxchi. Also you don't get the bonus to blue magic if it's in the offhand, which is a real shame.
 Siren.Knivesz
Server: Siren
By Siren.Knivesz 2013-07-19 00:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu useful in endgame content?! Blasphemous

Edit: Would be cool if they actually were useful in EG content but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to come true.
By macsdf1 2013-07-19 01:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

delve club doesn't have +skill onit so shouldnt boost blu dmg at all.
 Ragnarok.Katas
user: Katas
By Ragnarok.Katas 2013-07-19 01:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/21125/tamaxchi
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-07-19 01:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

macsdf1 said: »
delve club doesn't have +skill onit so shouldnt boost blu dmg at all.

It's not about the skill+ here, it's just about the ilvl

Or did I read that wrong?

Edit: I guess the "modifier" they talk about might be the skill+, when I just assumed it was MND for club?
Never did put much thought into this :P
By Tickmeoff 2013-07-19 01:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
the weapon must have an item level displayed and there has to be stats that modify the weapon's skill.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11