[Dev] Salvage Party Member Cap
VIP
By Kalila 2013-07-16 16:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

07-08-2013 04:59 PM
[source]
Yoji Fujito
Dev Team

In regards to this request, there is one large reason why we haven’t been able to easily say yes to this.

• Simply increasing the amount of layer areas would result in an extreme increase in server lag.

I'm sure many of you are thinking, "What? Lag again?" However, we have data to base this on.

With the recent Salvage "Design Plan Drop Rate Doubled Campaign", the number of areas reached the threshold for the server and server latency bugs began popping up here and there.

These bugs were due to our own lack of gauging the settings and we accept the blame for that. However, what we want you to understand is that the creation of layer areas utilizes a vast amount of server resources (you think of it as the power required to run them).

Layer areas are a system used by various content, and the total amount of server resources (power) has been determined. In the event that we were to simply allow everything to be soloed, we predict that the layer areas would increase exponentially.

Especially considering what would happen on the weekends, I think you can understand why we are hesitant to do this development-wise.

However, we have no intention to deny solo play for layer area content and we think that layer area creation could be allowable for soloing depending on the days and times when concurrency (as well as the number of layer areas) is low.
(For example, making every Wednesday a day that you can solo Salvage.)

There are various other methods that can be thought of, but given the opportunity this is something that we would like to try out.
Subscribe

Other Topics:
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-07-16 16:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can only solo salvage on Wednesdays, then Wednesday is going to be the most congested day.

Their data of what is the least congested day now is worthless.

Makes absolutely no sense lol
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alahra
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2013-07-16 16:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It probably won't matter after a few more patches with high item level stuff being put in anyway, I'd imagine. They're removing a piece or two of Salvage II stuff from optimal setups with each update it seems.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-07-16 16:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
If you can only solo salvage on Wednesdays, then Wednesday is going to be the most congested day.

Their data of what is the least congested day now is worthless.

Makes absolutely no sense lol

could be a wack translation; he might have meant wednesday is consistently the day with the lowest total ffxi traffic, not necessarily salvage

still a dumb direction but w/e

would make more sense to have it soloable monday through thursday
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2013-07-16 17:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just soloable when JP are asleep, since their "emergency" maintenance can always wait until the lower populations are on...
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-16 18:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Take current amount of layer areas, X.

Allow X-3 layer areas to be occupied by only groups of 3 or more.

Allow 3 layer areas to be occupied by groups smaller than 3 if they are not all in use.

Give a system like limbus that gives information on the current groups occupying the 3 layer areas that are designated to allow smaller groups.

(Or buy another *** server, it's an insignificant cost. They're just trying to make it sound like a real problem. They're already not using enough for delve.)
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-16 18:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

it's a solution without a problem, the point of solo'ing is not to be tied to someone else's schedule.
 Fenrir.Mewgoat
Server: Fenrir
user: mewgoat
By Fenrir.Mewgoat 2013-07-16 18:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

idk about you, but the semi forced grouping is something i sorta liked way back when, smaller groups though. i haven't been able to make a relic (probably coulda by now) because i cant stand the solo for that long. so after like 3 weeks i just sell currency, done it like 3 times
 Bismarck.Momokiri
Server: Bismarck
user: Momokiri
By Bismarck.Momokiri 2013-07-16 19:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Technical issues aside, there's an irony in that what he's basically saying is they won't do it because it might actually spark players' interest too much. We can't have things like that getting out of hand.

Really though, I want to see the proof that lowering the entry requirements to 2 people would make the servers explode. If they want to make the case for soloing being too much congestion, fine. But a slight compromise would be nice. I realize shouting for a 3rd to get in is not omgimpossible but every little bit of annoyance removed helps. And let us pool our god damned points please.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Tafuman
Server: Lakshmi
user: Richie
By Lakshmi.Tafuman 2013-07-16 19:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

They should just cap how many zones can be up at once to something comparable to now. They could also make it worth it to bring more people... like high drop rates or something...
By runeghost 2013-07-16 20:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Similar topic; I assume that you still can't do any assaults without 3 people? It would be nice to get at least a little closer to Captain (eventually)
-Runeghost
 Sylph.Malphius
user: Malphius
By Sylph.Malphius 2013-07-16 20:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lowering the requirement for entry down to two party members would probably be best. It would be nice to solo but most people have a mule they take anyways. The 3rd person is usually disconnects after the entry requirements.

I think this would be a better compromise than "solo Wednesdays"
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2013-07-16 20:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I imagine it wouldn't be a fixed day that would be soloable. Something more like a weekly or semi-weekly solo entrance limitation would make some sense.

I'm glad they're at least addressing this.
 Asura.Chexmix
Server: Asura
user: Ranae
By Asura.Chexmix 2013-07-17 05:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing Im really getting is they are afraid of too many instances of zones running if they lower the party requirements?

They should just make double plans permanent and leave it the way it is imo.
 Ragnarok.Ravant
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2013-07-17 07:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Give a system like limbus

No.

Lakshmi.Tafuman said: »
They should just cap how many zones can be up at once

Also no.

This I don't think you would realize how annoying it would be seeing 50 people all sitting at the door just spamming to be that 1 person let in.

Also as it has happened to me before in limbus it would be very annoying to the person inside getting constant tells to "/tell me when you're exiting please so i can get in 1st". Had someone spam me like every 2 minutes asking what floor I was on, how many mobs left, was I killing all, etc.

Asura.Chexmix said: »
They should just make double plans permanent and leave it the way it is imo.

I'm was sort of hoping for this or for double plans to happen more often. Ares' plans slowed to a crawl after double drops went away -.-
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-07-17 07:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

That would actually be a good news, I'd totally restart paying for 2 accounts if they did that.

Regarding double plans, it should always be on, no matter what.

>2013
>2006/2012, grinding Salvage I/II vanilla mode

Pick one, and only one.
 Asura.Chexmix
user: Ranae
By Asura.Chexmix 2013-07-17 07:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Also Im not always constantly checking salvage zones but you really cant tell me theres more people doing salvage now then when it was 75 content. I really cant imagine how they can predict how much of an increase there would be in traffic unless they are tracking shouts for entry etc.

If anything they should try making it soloable for a weekend and see how much of an increase there is in people going etc and decide from there.

I still firmly stand by making double plans perma and just leave it as is x.x
 Asura.Aerox
By Asura.Aerox 2013-07-17 10:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chexmix said: »
I still firmly stand by making double plans perma and just leave it as is x.x

^
Right, it takes too long to complete a piece considering the rate at which the items are being outclassed. Besides, it's a MMO and salvage 2 is perfect for a group of friends I actually love it more than any other content in-game atm with the ppl I go with...

On the other hand solo'ing may be the only option for fans of the gear with the way interest is falling in "old" content as it becomes irrelevant.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-07-17 10:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get why they don't just open it up, and limit the number of instances that can enter at any one time... It's the best solution and makes all happy. Although I do agree, they can leave the double plans in effect permanently. That way people get done faster and don't have to lag their poor zones as much...
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-07-17 10:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
I don't get why they don't just open it up, and limit the number of instances that can enter at any one time... It's the best solution and makes all happy.

It makes anybody without access to two friends happy, anybody that already regularly goes with 2 friends will have to deal with congestion that wasn't there before.

Not that I'm really against them removing the limit, there's like, what, like 3 pieces left from Salvage 2 still worth getting?
 Sylph.Guebotermico
By Sylph.Guebotermico 2013-07-17 13:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Make it that 5 layers per zone could be used by solo players at once
And that 5 layers per zone could be used by partys of 3 plus members.

Just an idea
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-07-17 13:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
I don't get why they don't just open it up, and limit the number of instances that can enter at any one time... It's the best solution and makes all happy.

It makes anybody without access to two friends happy, anybody that already regularly goes with 2 friends will have to deal with congestion that wasn't there before.

Not that I'm really against them removing the limit, there's like, what, like 3 pieces left from Salvage 2 still worth getting?
I dunno, I think even the people who normally have some means to help them in would be pleased for the most part too. It's annoying pestering friends to help you everyday. I have 2 chars already and it was annoying as hell.

There may be a few times that people will run in to "Unable to enter" messages but I doubt it will be quite as much of an issue as they seem to think it will be. I mean it is outdated content.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-07-17 13:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

100% Salvage should always be double plans. *** hated it before and after the double plan campaign.