WHM optimal gear at 99
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14
 Lakshmi.Mahoro
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Mahoro577
By Lakshmi.Mahoro 2012-12-11 12:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Your set is almost eerily like mine. In fact, the only difference is subtracting the Iaso Mitra and subbing in the Tempered Cape to make it up (I have the abjuration, but am waiting for price to go down). Your reasoning is also similar to mine. I think after being the only WHM in a party of DD's in Odin v.2, something in me rails against giving up the extra gear -Enmity. Obviously though, we are talking situational gear now and not the "optimal" set being discussed here.
By Arziet 2012-12-12 12:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Marduk's Tiara +1 DEF:31 MND+13 CHR+13 Divine magic skill +12 Summoning magic skill +12 Singing skill +12 "Cure" potency +11% Increases "Regen" effect Set: Increases "Fast Cast" effect

Very Nice!
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-12-21 15:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats a good (and maybe best) Enfeebling set for WHM? I know i know all your WHm like cure numbers ;) but what about enfeebling?
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-12-21 15:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »
Whats a good (and maybe best) Enfeebling set for WHM? I know i know all your WHm like cure numbers ;) but what about enfeebling?

To be honest, it depends (sh--s situational, etc). As of late, I've started to go with gear that has equal amount of MACC and MND as I've been having issues landing anything worth a dang on higher tier stuff or just things that are highly resistant that needs to be procced (PW + Cats comes to mind). As it stands, WHM can still get a fairly high MND stat (espeically if you're a career WHM with MND merits) with hybrid sets that it I feel it warrants usage of them to make up for the lack of Enfeebling skill (even with the use of Light Arts and ESPECIALLY if you aren't using Light Arts at the time).

Overall, I've found hands are best dedicated as a MACC piece as there are many very good MACC options in that slot (Ayao's gages being best in slot, though cleric's mitts +2 is a very nice and cheap alternative). The rest you can find skill/MACC = MND pieces in other slots. Nares saio or rubeus jacket come to mind for the body slot (praeco doublet makes a good cheap alternative). For feet, cleric's duckbills +2 is good with Marduk's crackows +1 being the most ideal piece in that slot. hyaline hat for the head is what I'd go for in that slot, I can't recall of any decent alternative in that slot. chatoyant staff is also a must have in my books too just because the amount of MACC they give is superb.

The rest of the slots are up to you. aredan earring is nice to have and I feel it's best matched with a magic accuracy earring (Augmented moonshade earring comes to mind). Rings I tend to stack MND in as you can get some pretty high MND stats in those slots. Finally, I would put shamatha grip and Oreiad's tathlum from this update into my sets as well, but I believe they are currently inaccessible due to not getting the Meebles update.

tldr... I like MND ≈ Skill in as many slots as I can take them - lol >>;
[+]
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-12-21 16:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pensee Earring is another good macc earring if you can get it. I was lucky & got 1 when prov first came out but because i lacked any decently geared mage jobs at the time i toss'd it :/
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-12-21 16:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

eww i never toss r/ex gear(newer one) if i dont need it i just send it to a mule. But sadly i never got this earring.

This is the gearset i tossed together from my current one and tossing in some stuff Ghishlain mentioned:

I think i get some Relic+2 feet for now, and maybe i can get marduk+1 in a far future(but whm isnt a mainjob for me, so i'll have other prioritys) i dont have a MND ammo cause of lack of inv space atm, maybe when the mnd+4/macc comes out i get that.. it looks nice overall.

what would be good legs? I dont think i ever do Limbus V2, so those are out of question.
By Dantedmc 2012-12-21 16:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Portent Pants with Enfeebling +15 for legs. If you don't have hyaline you can also use hyksos khat.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-12-21 16:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i have this stuff, (thats why there is that static earring lol i still have it flying around since years :x)

oh yea totally forgot about those pants thx
 Siren.Blackroses
Server: Siren
By Siren.Blackroses 2012-12-21 17:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: bah, I guess I missed a couple posts...

I'd replace the Aredan Earring with this: http://www.ffxiah.com/item/11054/pensee-earring
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan
Leonardo da Clippi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan 2012-12-24 01:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been struggling in legion a bit because tarus lack in the HP department... I have a pretty decent idle set, but every now and then I get my lights stomped out in a single hit, which is pretty annoying :\

I was wondering if I should go for an HP build (this kind of runs into problems of their own... switching out for cures and switching back, I'll be at like 70% health)

I currently have only 1248HP/1224MP (Genbu's/Moonshade have HP+ augmented).
With HP gear I can probably hit upwards to ~1600 but my other gearsets will struggle since I'll have to slap in HP+ gear... or will it even be worth it since I'll be taking more damage? I'm kind of at a loss, except the obvious, don't get hit with severely damaging moves!

/firstworldtaruproblems
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2012-12-24 01:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

if you're worried about taking damage i'd probably get rid of the owleyes. i don't have an oneiros grip so i have an idle set where i use owleyes for the extra refresh, and one that uses a terra's.

edit: i lied, i use an earth staff now.
 Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan
Leonardo da Clippi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan 2012-12-24 01:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely forgot about Oneiros grip! I've actually never fought Arch goblin golem and there's not much info on it besides pop requirements D: assuming from "Arch", I'm sure it's a jackass

How many people it takes to kill? Doesn't look like I can solo the pop item guys (not very well at least)... Does anyone know? ^^;
 Ragnarok.Ganukay
user: Ganukay
By Ragnarok.Ganukay 2012-12-24 01:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The pop NMs are more of a pain than the arch only because they're all surrounded by links. Arch is easy to kill low man. use shadows for seismo if going low man, otherwise can just zerg it easily
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-12-24 09:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting Ballads between Legion pulls will also help your Refresh department. If I'm getting Ballad III and II I'm pretty much golden for the next two pulls and can full time Terra's for anything serious that I see about to hit the fan. I have about 1.4K HP in my idle/DT set, so it's not a huge difference and I have yet to see anything hit me into the deep red in a single hit.
 Lakshmi.Ryukin
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryu182
By Lakshmi.Ryukin 2012-12-28 03:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the marduk's tiara +1 worth it? 1% potency 3 mnd difference from af3+2
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-12-28 14:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryukin said: »
Is the marduk's tiara +1 worth it? 1% potency 3 mnd difference from af3+2

Depends on your inventory issues and what gears you already have that's better. Directly speaking, the cure potency hierarchy should look like Iaso mitra > Marduk's tiara +1 > orison cap +2.

You may still want both anyway though. Tiara +1 also gives you an additional bonus to your Regen (according to AH comments, it's 1hp/tick, nothing on BG Wiki yet). orison cap +2 can still be a macro piece for both Bar effects (extra 2% to totally negate an elemental attack of the same type, if I recall) and the Divine Veil effect, if you feel either of these effects are still prudent to your builds.
 Bahamut.Blackmagus
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Blackmagus 2013-01-02 08:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Idle

Healing

Enhancing/Fast Cast

Divine

Figured I'd share mine
enfeebling not here but almost same as divine just a few changes,
feel free to comment/advice on it
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-01-02 09:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Regarding your Cure set, Heka's & cure clogs arent doing as much for the actual cure than they are for the precast. Should try to replace them before the cure goes off. Instead of Aquasoul rings, should buy Sirona's & Ephedra's rings. Both are very cheap and they will do more for your cure than aquasoul. Same concept for your ear slots as healing magic skills adds more to your cures than mnd does. Using Tefnut, this is a solid set you could aim for:

Genbu's can get up to 5% cure pot, so that set should put you at 49% but with a lot more healing magic to boost your overall power (Plus the af3+2 body's bonus to solice which is a big help). Id also advice getting a Loq earring for your fast cast set. It will come in handy on a lot of other jobs as well.
By blackmagus 2013-01-02 09:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

@Pwnzone, thanks for the tips, will look into it.
Wasn't sure of the Healing skill>Mnd thing, was told mnd so went with it.
And I do notice my spells going off too fast and cures flopping lol
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-01-02 10:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Blackmagus said: »
Figured I'd share mine
enfeebling not here but almost same as divine just a few changes,
feel free to comment/advice on it

Is WHM one of your side jobs? I'm trying to get a gauge of how often you play your WHM as you have quite a few other jobs with Empyreans listed. Depending on inventory constraints and how interested you are in your job, there can be a couple of small tweaks to humungously changing your sets. As it stands right now, I'm going to go under the assumption that WHM is one of your more casual jobs leveled and you have some limitations on your inventory and not doing anything that can blow your face off in one hit ~coughs~Legion.

Your Idle set looks fine. You're maximizing Refresh as needed. If you got DT/PDT/MDT gear, I'd recommend that in most of the slots as that way you can just have a hybrid idle/DT set that can withstand a lot of punishment.

Your Curing set looks fine to me for casual purposes. I would recommend trying to get a hold of more Potency if possible (though a bit pricy, roundel earring comes to mind; also, augmented zenith pumps can get Potency as well) and swapping out Heka's for orison bliaud +2 for the extra Cureskin bonus. However, I am of opinion that maintaining a solid 45+% Potency build is more important than trying to get the extra cureskin durability. In contrast, if you want to heal someone and they are close to being topped off anyway, you can make the switch to the AF3+2 body and give them a solid cureskin that will, for all intents and purposes, temporarily extend their maximum health total thanks to the Stoneskin.

The healing skill advice from Pwnzone is definitely good, and yes, you definitely do not need Cure clogs in your final cast, but I do not recommend dropping orison pantaloons +2 for any reason. The pants are incredible for WHM MP effeciency and should be an auto-include in every set.

In terms of your Fast Cast/Enhancing set, you will most likely want to seperate the two. You fast cast set is incredible as it stands, but your enhancing set is lacklustre. Easy-ish ugprades include cleric's pantaloons +2 (which I highly recommend because of the augmented bonus to Shellra V) and orison duckbills +2 giving you a solid +38 Enhancing Magic, which is another 3-4 bonus stats on any boost you have have, to put it into perspective.

In terms of your nuking, well, I don't have space for a dedicated nuking set, so I can't gauge anything, but it looks good to me =p You might want to consider cleric's mitts +2 if you're WHMing anything undead related as the Banish effect on undead can be really useful for the rest of your party. Any Hahava-esque mob in VW comes to mind in this regard. Since you have Nares trews, you might as well throw that into the set too for some extra MND. ^^;

EDIT: for new post. Yep, skill is definitely more important than mind now for any single target Cures. You can find an indepth overview of that here. The big concern I have for healing skill is that it doesn't add too much else for the rest of your skills and it takes up inventory. That's why trying to build a maximum curing set can be problemtic if inventory is a constraint. However, do also note that extra skill makes the enmity generated from your cures lower thanks to Tranquil Heart, if you are concerned about that.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-01-02 10:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »

Your Curing set looks fine to me for casual purposes. I would recommend trying to get a hold of more Potency if possible (though a bit pricy, roundel earring comes to mind; also, augmented zenith pumps can get Potency as well) and swapping out Heka's for orison bliaud +2 for the extra Cureskin bonus. However, I am of opinion that maintaining a solid 45+% Potency build is more important than trying to get the extra cureskin durability. In contrast, if you want to heal someone and they are close to being topped off anyway, you can make the switch to the AF3+2 body and give them a solid cureskin that will, for all intents and purposes, temporarily extend their maximum health total thanks to the Stoneskin.

The healing skill advice from Pwnzone is definitely good, and yes, you definitely do not need Cure clogs in your final cast, but I do not recommend dropping orison pantaloons +2 for any reason. The pants are incredibly for WHM MP effeciency and should be an auto-include in every set.

This is all true. nares trews are fine if you have access to an infinite amount of MP (Abyssea/VW), but if you are in a position where the MP return from af3+2 legs could be beneficial you want to keep them on. Somehow, i completely forgot about Roundel earring. You could def work in af3+2 legs for a set that will allow you to keep af3 body with it & Z pumps. If you will use whm more than casually, id highly recommend dragging some ls mates to help you start up your arka IV trials. I understand if youre not looking forward to all that jazz, but its definitely worth it if you plan on using your whm for more than the occasional VW shout
By blackmagus 2013-01-02 10:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

@Ghishlain
I do fine in legion on whm lol
Whm one of mains, why I added this to the post to get higher end advice on it, thanks for the further tips. Learn something new about this job everyday i swear ^^
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-01-02 15:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

blackmagus said: »
@Ghishlain
Whm one of mains, why I added this to the post to get higher end advice on it, thanks for the further tips. Learn something new about this job everyday i swear ^^

If that's the case, then I would also recommend to get yourself an Arka IV for more Cure Potency. It shall help free up some more slots and allow you a lot more mixing and maching for your potency set. Also, another item of interest to note is a beneficus for Boosts and Bars.

Just a couple more pointers for a more serious WHM:

-Cura and Curaga are both not cureskinable. As such throwing Heka's into these sets will more or less cap you once you have an Akra IV. Combine with either Iaso mitra or Marduk's tiara +1 for maximum potency. I bring up Cura specifically because if you're doing Legion, I find that tanking up front with the DDs against Cerberus mobs while riding Afflatus Misery makes a WHMs life a whole lot easier. Take that with a grain of salt as I'm a Galka with enough HP to take a thrashing and keep on ticking.

-Haste set is important. In some cases, you will be needing to do back to back Sacrifices to stay ahead of the debuff curve on some of the more lethal NMs you'll be facing. Embrava + a 26% Haste Set + odd fast cast gears + Haste gives about 6 second recast on Sacrifices, leading to some pretty potent status recovery on the fly.

-You'll want to stack MND on your enfeebling sets as spells like Paralyze, Slow, and potentially Addle are dependant on the difference in dMND you may have. On higher tier content, find an appropiate amount of MACC to include as well to get a consistent stick rate. I prefer pieces of gear that tends to have 1 MACC for each point of MND on it.

Hope you find the advice useful. There's a lot of subtle nueances to playing WHM that I'm sure you've noticed in your play. Good luck~!
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2013-01-02 15:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

blackmagus said: »
@Ghishlain

If that's the case, then I would also recommend to get yourself an Arka IV for more Cure Potency. It shall help free up some more slots and allow you a lot more mixing and maching for your potency set. Also, another item of interest to note is a beneficus for Boosts and Bars.

Just a couple more pointers for a more serious WHM:

-Cura and Curaga are both not cureskinable. As such throwing Heka's into these sets will more or less cap you once you have an Akra IV. Combine with either Iaso mitra or Marduk's tiara +1 for maximum potency. I bring up Cura specifically because if you're doing Legion, I find that tanking up front with the DDs against Cerberus mobs while riding Afflatus Misery makes a WHMs life a whole lot easier. Take that with a grain of salt as I'm a Galka with enough HP to take a thrashing and keep on ticking.

-Haste set is important. In some cases, you will be needing to do back to back Sacrifices to stay ahead of the debuff curve on some of the more lethal NMs you'll be facing. Embrava + a 26% Haste Set + odd fast cast gears + Haste gives about 6 second recast on Sacrifices, leading to some pretty potent status recovery on the fly.

-You'll want to stack MND on your enfeebling sets as spells like Paralyze, Slow, and potentially Addle are dependant on the difference in dMND you may have. On higher tier content, find an appropiate amount of MACC to include as well to get a consistent stick rate. I prefer pieces of gear that tends to have 1 MACC for each point of MND on it.

Hope you find the advice useful. There's a lot of subtle nueances to playing WHM that I'm sure you've noticed in your play. Good luck~!
sorry you had a typo and it said Item Not Found! for arka
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-01-02 15:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said: »

xD Oops, I had the R and the K switched. Thanks for the correction, and I made the edit to my original post ^^;...
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-02 15:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

xD Oops, I had the R and the K switched. Thanks for the correction, and I made the edit to my original post ^^;...

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT WHM?
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-01-02 15:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT WHM?

>>;...

<<;....

>.<...

I guess I know which DD to let die in the next Legion =DDDDD! <3

Also, stop stalking my GW? xD
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2013-01-02 16:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

but I do not recommend dropping orison pantaloons +2 for any reason. The pants are incredible for WHM MP effeciency and should be an auto-include in every set.
There is some content where mp isn't really an issue- VW to name one, particularly with ethers etc..and of course abyssea.

In which case would nares be the best for c5/c6?

This is what I currently use for C5/C6 in VW but am open to improvements if you can make a suggestion?
 Sylph.Binckry
Server: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2013-01-02 16:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Isnt power for c5/c6 still 1power=1healingmagic=2mnd=4vit?
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-01-02 17:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cuelebra said: »
but I do not recommend dropping orison pantaloons +2 for any reason. The pants are incredible for WHM MP effeciency and should be an auto-include in every set.
There is some content where mp isn't really an issue- VW to name one, particularly with ethers etc..and of course abyssea.

In which case would nares be the best for c5/c6?

This is what I currently use for C5/C6 in VW but am open to improvements if you can make a suggestion?

To be honest, I wouldn't think of using Nares in VW. All it takes is either bad procs or a bad group to screw one out of your temps and once you're out of MP, people are going to start dropping.

But to answer the question on hand, the easiest answer is to start stacking Healing Skill. It seems like you're using quite the old school set there, which was great for Cures V's and VI's until a few months ago. For a maximum power route, just stack Skill for all it's worth (formula in Binckry's post above). Some of the ring recommendations early in the thread can apply here. I'd consider roundel earring and switching out augur's gloves for healer's mitts +1 as a major change if you got the money to afford the earring. Use the power search feature on the site for a bunch of healing skill options because there are too many around for me to list ^^;...
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14