WHM optimal gear at 99
First Page 2 3 4 ... 12 13 14
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2012-04-03 19:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

We're not turning this into a thread where we glorify or insult anyone's gear choices. Stop the arguing; continue the discussion.
[+]
 Cerberus.Aeil
Server: Cerberus
user: aeil
By Cerberus.Aeil 2012-04-03 20:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are people posting cure 5/6 sets with af3+2 body? Did they miss where the update affected 1-4 and 5/6 'gains little to no benefit from healing magic skill.' Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I remember reading on the update site. If I'm right, that would make af3+2 body useless for 5/6 and a waste of a slot, where you could have heka's instead, and be using all those earring/back slots for more beneficial gear such as MND/fast cast etc.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a troll either. I duo a lot with the wife on WHM and we try to keep it geared as good as possible. Thanks!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-03 20:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Aeil said: »
Why are people posting cure 5/6 sets with af3+2 body? Did they miss where the update affected 1-4 and 5/6 'gains little to no benefit from healing magic skill.' Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I remember reading on the update site. If I'm right, that would make af3+2 body useless for 5/6 and a waste of a slot, where you could have heka's instead, and be using all those earring/back slots for more beneficial gear such as MND/fast cast etc.
>.>;

orison body augments Afflatus Solace giving stoneskin to cures. Why would you be using heca over orison when no matter what heca can not replace the HP gained given by orison?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2012-04-03 20:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

+2 body adds to solace cureskin. And if solace is up, that body should be on.

Edit: Beaten :(
 Fenrir.Pirinolon
Server: Fenrir
user: Pirinolon
By Fenrir.Pirinolon 2012-04-03 20:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello i just got a nefer kalasiris+1, for the set effect refresh, is it the same if i get the nefer khat or the nefer khat+1?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-03 20:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Pirinolon said: »
Hello i just got a nefer kalasiris+1, for the set effect refresh, is it the same if i get the nefer khat or the nefer khat+1?
The hat gives the same no matter the quality (go for white go for white! whiteboxomg)

Can go either or depending on your preference.
 Fenrir.Pirinolon
user: Pirinolon
By Fenrir.Pirinolon 2012-04-03 20:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

oh i'd def buy a whitebox, but i havent seen any for sale only the nq
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-04-03 21:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Deboro said: »
http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Phoenix/Lithical

Btw he also just finished ( well a week ago ) the Nyzul 100 set for Mages.

so he hacks too? cool story
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2012-04-03 22:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Maeldiar said: »

Are you implying you need to hack in order to get to FL 100?

really?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-04-03 23:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Aeil said: »

Edit: I'm not trying to be a troll either. I duo a lot with the wife on WHM and we try to keep it geared as good as possible. Thanks!
To expand on previous answers, you remembered the update statement incorrectly. The power formula (and rate change points/formulae) for C1-6 were all changed, but the soft caps for C5/6 are now such that output for those spells is basically unchanged whereas C1-4 were drastically improved.
 Cerberus.Aeil
user: aeil
By Cerberus.Aeil 2012-04-04 01:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the explanation guys. So basically, a WHM that cares about the job will cap cure pot in other ways and utilize their +2 body. Just when I was thinking roundel was a waste of gil :P
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Anniel
Server: Phoenix
user: Anniel
By Phoenix.Anniel 2012-04-04 11:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Aleste said: »
I'd hate to see a good thread go off-topic... although.

=His barspell set=

Change Augur gloves to AF3+2, and Zenith crown to af3+2. Add on second +enh. skill earring. Looses 1 elemental resist. Gains 4% negate.

First obvious thing I noticed.

Ok, I'm a total nub but which would be a *second* enhancing earring? His Zenith crown is augmented with enhancing +8, too... so he'd be losing 12 enhancing over the chance of +2 proc, which I remember reading somewhere (Cant remember source right now or how accurate it was so I might be really wrong) that going for a steady number on enhancing was better than hoping and praying for a set +2 proc :3

PS: Also, I just showed this thread to Lith and he just found out his name was brought out here lol, so don't hate on him, he wasn't aware about people mentioning him here or bringing out his gear sets, so hate comments please stay away :3
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-04-04 11:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Chronosphere said: »

really?

lol
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-04-04 13:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Anniel said: »
Ok, I'm a total nub but which would be a *second* enhancing earring?

I remember seeing it, but someone else would have to point out the exact item. I think it's an augmented earring?

His Zenith crown is augmented with enhancing +8, too... so he'd be losing 12 enhancing over the chance of +2 proc, which I remember reading somewhere (Cant remember source right now or how accurate it was so I might be really wrong) that going for a steady number on enhancing was better than hoping and praying for a set +2 proc :3

Ignoring the earring:

Estimated AF3 proc rate with 2 pieces: 2%
Estimated AF3 proc rate with 4 pieces: 7%

Expected gain: 5% damage nullification
Reduction in damage taken (1000 baseline): 50

Tradeoff: 8 skill from zenith, 5 skill from hands for 13 skill. Additional resistance accrues at +1 for every 4 skill (for over 300 skill), which means that +13 skill is worth +3 resistance, maybe +4. Will be generous and use +4.

For nominal m.acc rates of 50% or higher, that would effectively be -4% hit rate. For nominal m.acc rates below 50%, that would be -2% hit rate.

The lower the nominal hit rate, the more valuable the reduction in hit rate from the higher resistance. Looking at the best case values, then:

Estimated average damage (to 4 resist levels) taken from a 1000 damage nuke
@54% nominal: 699.336
@50% with increased resistance: 664.063
Net reduction: 35.274 (3.5% of baseline)

@22% nominal: 352.312
@20% with increased resistance: 324.800
Net reduction: 27.512 (2.75% of baseline)

Clearly that's a worse option than the AF3 set, which should give a 5% reduction from baseline (or 4% at worst, depending on which version of the rates you believe) from wearing two additional pieces.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-04-04 13:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

PS: Also, I just showed this thread to Lith and he just found out his name was brought out here lol, so don't hate on him, he wasn't aware about people mentioning him here or bringing out his gear sets, so hate comments please stay away :3
It was never fair for him to be dragged into the thread in the first place. I think folks already realized that.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-04-04 15:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

really?
Sorry forgot windower plugins and .dat swapping is completely legitimate.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2012-04-04 15:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

really?
Sorry forgot windower plugins and .dat swapping is completely legitimate.

So you're just a moron

Ok

edit: Sorry, that was mean. True, but mean.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-04-04 15:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Why? Because he believes strongly in something that's adverse to your personal perspective, or he's unable to reach floor 100 without using third-party tools and he's convinced it's unreasonable without them?
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2012-04-04 15:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Why? Because he believes strongly in something that's adverse to your personal perspective, or he's unable to reach floor 100 without using third-party tools and he's convinced it's unreasonable without them?

The fact that he thinks the usage of Windower really makes or breaks a group in order to get to FL 100

Sure, fillmode is great and all, but still. Also, I'm not sure how .dat swapping isn't legitimate? I mean, really.

So, I suppose the latter
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-04-04 15:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're using it, it's an advantage; an advantage some people don't wish to use as it's not an intended tool. It very well may make or break a run to floor 100.

Dat Swapping is the same. Nyzul, and especially Uncharted, is about shaving seconds off floors in the best way possible. Being able to see through walls to notice patterns and count/locate lamps is a huge advantage.

I don't consider it unreasonable without them, otherwise I wouldn't be actively building a team to try it, but I can see how others would believe so. You need six people, all at the top of their game, to move as fast as possible, and hope you don't get shafted by luck.
 Fenrir.Aleste
user: Aleste
By Fenrir.Aleste 2012-04-04 15:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I've no intention of hating on anyone. I just found it mildly ironic that someone threw out the assertion that they were the best whitemage around; and the very first set I looked at was incorrect.

Please don't construe my choice of wording to mean anything other than helpful criticism.

The second enhancing earring is aptus earring and is obtained (augmented) through one of the ASA (Battaru Royale) fights. I can't say I've had any luck on getting the correct augments, although the fight is pretty easy enough to be capable of spamming.

EDIT:: 'Best' barspell set:
Code
								Enh.	Resist	MDB
----------------------------------------------------
99 WHM/SCH		       			404
Enh. Merits						16		
Bar- Merits								10		10
Afflatus Solace									5

Beneficius						15				5
Orison Cap +2										(~2% Negate)
Colossus Torque					7(10*)
Enhancing Earring		 		3
Aptus Earring					2
Orison Bliaud +2								10	(~2% Negate)
Orison Mitts +2										(~2% Negate)
Merciful Cape			 		5
Olympus Sash			 		5
Cleric Pantaloons +2			18		25
Orsn. Duckbills +2				20					(~2% Negate)
----------------------------------------------------
								495		35		30	(~8% Negate)

Bar- resistance			B = 25+(Enh.Skill/4)+Resist
						  = 25+(495/4)+35
						  = 183 resist

*Colossus's Torque latent will change resistance from 183 to 184.

EDIT:: Squiggled out code'd math. Something is wrong somewhere.. Using the wrong formula.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2012-04-04 15:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's not get into yet another Windower debate. Back on topic, guys.

Also,
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-04 16:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »

The fact that he thinks the usage of Windower really makes or breaks a group in order to get to FL 100

Sure, fillmode is great and all, but still. Also, I'm not sure how .dat swapping isn't legitimate? I mean, really.

So, I suppose the latter

I won't debate legitimacy, but it's absurd to claim that the ordered labeling of lamps is any less of an advantage than artificially boosting one's movement speed. I spend most of our runs at the rune, so I have little to do but pay attention to how long any given task takes. The time one spends legitimately figuring out a lamp order or the penalty involved in accidentally initiating a timed activation without knowing they missed a lamp is substantially greater than what one gains fleeing to an enemy or back to a rune.

Regardless, we can statistically show that it's impossible to achieve FL100 clears entirely legitimately with similar regularity to a cheating group. Claiming the contrary is just asinine.
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2012-04-04 16:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not associate Windower as a 'hack' which is why I only assumed things like fleeing/running through walls/Clipper-esque programs etc.

It may have come off completely wrong, but I suppose it was toward more of the idea that people still believe Windower is the devil. It is almost as bad as those who cry over RMT Fell Cleave parties.

Oh well, that post came off wrong, but the point was to show that just because a member has a particular piece of gear/set, does not mean anything terrible. I feel lame though
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-04-04 16:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't, you're right.
 Phoenix.Anniel
Server: Phoenix
user: Anniel
By Phoenix.Anniel 2012-04-04 17:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ty about the reply about the earring!

And I guess I have to change my barspell set... oh well, I had to anyway!

And please, don't condemn others unless you absolutely don't use a single 3rd pt tool (even windower is, even if some people don't consider it!), and even if you don't use... I'm sure at some point you've benefited from it by somebody else using it. (I know for sure I'd be lost without spellcast!)

Oh, and also idk if anybody mentioned it yet but Nares cap is pretty nice for precast, too.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-04-04 17:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I apologize for derailing the thread. I'll make a different one in the Nyzul section.
 Fenrir.Aleste
user: Aleste
By Fenrir.Aleste 2012-04-04 17:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Re-ran my maths. I noticed I was using an incorrect formula for my bar-spell resistance.

There is currently no difference between adding the +2 skill earring (and not) in the set above due to the floor(skill/4) part in the formula. At best its 1 resist for 1 inventory slot. Hardly worthwhile even if it did increase your resistance.

I've been mulling over the possibility of mass-spamming Fields of Valor with rings for the chance at enhancing skill. I've heard rumours of up to +5 skill on a number of different pieces...
First Page 2 3 4 ... 12 13 14