Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-02-09 00:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Come'on SE, make use of the lore!
I dunno. Serious cor's should have a Armageddon Death Penalty

Death penalty is hand cannon, and single barrel.
By volkom 2012-02-09 00:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ragnarok.Afania said: »
volkom said: »
Come'on SE, make use of the lore!
I dunno. Serious cor's should have a Armageddon Death Penalty

Death penalty is cannon, and single barrel.
still a pirate weapon and not some alien tentacle in the shape of a laser gun
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-02-09 00:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
Sylph.Kimble said: »
Well, COR should never be in the same Damage tier as well geared DDs (SAM, MNK, WAR, DRK) because that would be way to broken. As long as they can give out good buffs and hold their own damage wise, they are fine really.

Say if a COR buff will make SAM WAR MNK DRK 20% stronger(I'm not sure the actual number), but COR itself can only do 50% of those DD does, then it's not worth a pt spot.

4 * 1.2 + 0.5 = 5.3 (with cor as you described)

5 * 1.0 = 5.0 (without cor as you described)

So if SAM WAR MNK DRK does 10000 dmg without buff, and 12000 dmg with buff,
DD DD COR doesn't beat DD DD DD

No, not with 2 DD + COR vs. 3 DD, 2.9 vs. 3.0
For some reason I read 4x DD +COR vs.5x DD :P
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-02-09 00:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

anyway what we can take from this is that the more melees you're buffing, the less damage you need to do to be useful!
[+]
By volkom 2012-02-09 00:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

but just giving buffs makes you useful
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-02-09 05:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

After the recent responses about gallant's roll and the tp thing I'm just sure they don't care to listen at all.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-02-09 06:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Still haven't said who the flying flip asked for a defense roll. I honestly didn't believe people playing cor could be -that- stupid.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-02-09 07:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen one serious Corsair with Death Penalty. One that was a useless Japanese cor/whm twit. And that's all I've seen.

Mythics are just ridiculously prohibitive. If the upcoming Nyzul update fixes that, I will work on a Death Penalty myself. I’m also not 100% sure, but – at least at this time – I believe Armageddon pumps out more damage than Death Penalty even under ideal circumstances for Death Penalty. Could be wrong there, though. The math I saw on that was back at like 85-90.

Edit: My point being, I reject the notion that if you're serious about corsair, you need to have Death Penalty. I very much want a Death Penalty...but unless you have nothing to do with your time but play FFXI, it's not realistic. And I doubt there are people out there significantly more dedicated to the job than I am.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-02-09 07:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I can only think of situations where Wildfire is useless but not all magic damage(fire resistan mobs). Then you can use Leaden Salute to put up aftermath, ride some good tp phase and focus on Ice/Thunder shots for the 50% boosted QD and then spam Last Stand or keep using Leaden.
It's quite a difficult situation to be in and even in one where magic dmg is completely useless Last Stand will be stronger on Arma, though tp phase would favour DP.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-02-09 07:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
I can only think of situations where Wildfire is useless but not all magic damage(fire resistan mobs). Then you can use Leaden Salute to put up aftermath, ride some good tp phase and focus on Ice/Thunder shots for the 50% boosted QD and then spam Last Stand or keep using Leaden. It's quite a difficult situation to be in and even in one where magic dmg is completely useless Last Stand will be stronger on Arma, though tp phase would favour DP.

Point being...the situations where Death Penalty would shine are few and far between.

Even the fact that Dark Shot does not do damage (at this time) draws away from Death Penalty because the shot you'd use to boost Leaden Salute's damage would do no additional DPS there.

All this said, I'd still leap at the oppurtunity to have one for the thematic context. We'll see what happens when they adjust Nyzul.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-02-09 17:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Point being...the situations where Death Penalty would shine are few and far between.

Even the fact that Dark Shot does not do damage (at this time) draws away from Death Penalty because the shot you'd use to boost Leaden Salute's damage would do no additional DPS there.

All this said, I'd still leap at the oppurtunity to have one for the thematic context. We'll see what happens when they adjust Nyzul.

Even worse, dark shot need to dispel something first to boost leaden salute or else it will have no effect.

If SE can change dark shot so it can do some dmg, after save TP nerf(therefore longer TP phrase that favors higher DPS gun) DP may have more chance to catch up with Arma.

Edit: My point being, I reject the notion that if you're serious about corsair, you need to have Death Penalty. I very much want a Death Penalty...but unless you have nothing to do with your time but play FFXI, it's not realistic. And I doubt there are people out there significantly more dedicated to the job than I am.

I'm pretty causal, but still worked on one even before Arma came out. Just gonna spend 5 years on it instead of 1 year like hardcore players XD

But I'm a COR fanatic, 95% of time I play this job(at least after save TP roll added I played it 95% of time, not sure if I'd still play it this much after nerf), and 95% of time I grind gear for this job(5% of time I grind gear for my 2nd job BLU .-.) If I don't have a long time goal like this I wouldn't have a reason and motivation to keep playing FFXI anymore.

Or more like, I don't really "rush" for it(and other gears in general) as a causal player, just do it slowly when I log on everyday.

Although it's extremely frustrated to find alex on the market at this time. I finished other requirements long time ago, but just finding alex s a pain in the ***, with 100000 other ppl building Mythic on my server.

Also VERY hard to find ppl wanting to do salvage.

It's actually pretty doable if you can trio box and farm salvage, since the hardest part about salvage now is to enter with 3 ppl. But I don't want to spend nearly 40$ a month on a vid game for rushing pixel items, so this option is out for me.

And considering how incredibly useful Arma+WF is at this point of time, I also disagree that you'd need one to be serious. IMO serious CORs that really cared about performance should do 99 Arma instead, not Mythic. I'm just doing DP for the sake of obsession. Tbh sometimes I wish I'd just drop mythic project and spend the gil on 95 Arma instead, for the sake of better performance. But I can't really just stop there since I got A LOT of help during the process....free/cheap alex, assault/nyzul/salvage static, many different Einherjar LS/group(since Einherjar LS/group often die in 2 months..). For me it's a lot of good memory with many different ppl and friends, that getting Mythic is not really a process of pimping yourself anymore(it never was), but rather the end of a long journey of all those time I've spent with ppl in those events.

I really hope SE can make this gun either a lot stronger than it is now, or make it has other supportive abilities(like how empy harp gets 3 songs, or mythic dagger increases song duration etc), so those who helped me during the process can get large benefit from it, like how you'd get a lot of benefit from friend's Aegis, or empy harp, or Ukon. All those weapons provided more game changing and bigger boost to their jobs, I wish DP is a weapon like that.

I guess finish it or not, I'll just stay gimp then. I'm a COR fanatic, but not hardcore/elite/serious. And unlike hardcore/elite players who is always the best, fanatics are blind, and makes dumb choices.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-02-09 19:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always explained it to my linkshell as such:

"Corsair is a job I play; a pirate is what I am."

I've been doing the pirate thing since before MMOs and before the PotC movies...all of that. I was a pirate for Halloween every year as a little kid, ffs.

The "fantasy" version of the pirate has just always been something that appeals to me. Then again, my character has a back story, too, that extends prior to FFXI. So...eh. What can I say. I've always been a big RP dork. Ramyrez was a pirate long before SE introduced the Corsair job.

I want to make a Death Penalty, but it's just never been a feesible option. I might give it a go with the new update. Maybe. But Alex is still gonna be priced through the roof as it becomes more available and everyone makes them for the novelty of it now. But we'll see.

Bottom line is that it is, literally, a badass hand canon. Fun stuff there.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-02-09 19:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always explained it to my linkshell as such:

"Corsair is a job I play; a pirate is what I am."

I've been doing the pirate thing since before MMOs and before the PotC movies...all of that. I was a pirate for Halloween every year as a little kid, ffs.

The "fantasy" version of the pirate has just always been something that appeals to me. Then again, my character has a back story, too, that extends prior to FFXI. So...eh. What can I say. I've always been a big RP dork. Ramyrez was a pirate long before SE introduced the Corsair job.

I want to make a Death Penalty, but it's just never been a feesible option. I might give it a go with the new update. Maybe. But Alex is still gonna be priced through the roof as it becomes more available and everyone makes them for the novelty of it now. But we'll see.

Bottom line is that it is, literally, a badass hand canon. Fun stuff there.

You're one of my favorite people on Bismarck.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-02-09 22:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

{/blush}

*cough*

*Ahem.*

Of course I am!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7