If FFXIV Fails... What Does That Mean For FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19
By Afania 2013-06-09 11:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zohnax said: »
It's a proven fact that players like to create an avatar that makes they feel they can relate to and make them feel like they stand out.

My question is whether it'd make or break game though. I agree that fancy looking gears keep players playing, but games like D2 was extremely successful many years ago and it has limited character customization.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 11:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
It's a proven fact that players like to create an avatar that makes they feel they can relate to and make them feel like they stand out.

My question is whether it'd make or break game though. I agree that fancy looking gears keep players playing, but games like D2 was extremely successful many years ago and it has limited character customization.

And D2 was a straight up, repetitive as all hell, dungeon crawler. It was mad fun, but also free to play. That is, I'm sure, a colossal reason it was so successful.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 11:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Because back then it wasn't a thing, character customization on the scale we have it is still a fairly new thing. At the most you got to pick a portrait and the colour of your gear in RPGs. Moving to sets of preset faces was a huge step up and now we have moved to near full freedom with our avatars faces which is what has made it popular.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 12:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »

Because back then it wasn't a thing, character customization on the scale we have it is still a fairly new thing. At the most you got to pick a portrait and the colour of your gear in RPGs. Moving to sets of preset faces was a huge step up and now we have moved to near full freedom with our avatars faces which is what has made it popular.

Not gonna lie, when I was making my char in 14 v 1.0, it took me 30m just to decide on the hair since we had so many awesome options.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-09 12:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

When I create characters I stare the screen for hours when he asks me to chose a name trying to come up with something cool.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 12:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
When I create characters I stare the screen for hours when he asks me to chose a name trying to come up with something cool.
The hardest part of Morrowind
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yomisha said: »
It /looked/ amazing the first time around. You have a little too much faith, Seha. xD

It looked like complete ***last time. Well, graphically, sure. It looked nice in that regard. But the game mechanics was shiiiiiiiiiiiit. Wasn't until Yoshida had the TP battle system and Jobs introduced did it get better.

Kalila said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs said: »
14 will go the way of D3, strong start and then become a cancer that destroys the name.

One can only wonder what would of happen if FF wasn't attached to it.
the Final Fantasy name has been destroyed already

What started it imo...
[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 12:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

TP was there when the game was released, it was the combo system that was the game changer.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 12:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
Asura.Yomisha said: »
It /looked/ amazing the first time around. You have a little too much faith, Seha. xD

It looked like complete ***last time. Well, graphically, sure. It looked nice in that regard. But the game mechanics was shiiiiiiiiiiiit. Wasn't until Yoshida had the TP battle system and Jobs introduced did it get better.

Yoshi P has been doing some amazing ***with the game. I really can't wait til phase 3 beta starts, which is very soon :D
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 12:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
it took me 30m just to decide on the hair since we had so many awesome options

The only hair options in 1.0 were the exact same hair options as the ones in XI, unless you mean you spent 30 minutes deciding on the color/shade of your hair.

Besides, we all know what the most important customization option is anyway

unfortunately for xiv it has been bested by PSO2, try again

[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

TP was there when the game was released, it was the combo system that was the game changer.

Right, sorry. Meant the removal of the Stamina Bar. >_>;
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 12:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Color/highlights man. There were a ton of options. Sorry by 1.0 I moreso meant like 1.1x. It wasn't at release, but sometime after. Just before it went back to pay to play I think. Few months prior.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-06-09 12:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact the game has a subscription is probably what will hobble XIV.

SE tends to be slow on the draw with patches that fix issues and people are extremely fickle these days in the MMO market. While we may be willing to wait months for a simple JA patch, the new gamers will simply desub and move on.

Unless SE is forecasting similar numbers to XI at its peak for a stable population, the game is really going to need to do something extraordinary to avoid being drowned out by the sea of F2P MMOs that boast huge breasts, skimpy gear and PVP I PWNZORS YOU.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 12:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

14 has skimpy gear, big breasts and pvp though :P. At least it'll have PVP on launch (or it's slated to, or very shortly after launch).
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 12:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

14 will go the way of D3, strong start and then become a cancer that destroys the name.

What started it imo...
Ironically that is the only one to offer multiple paths through quests resulting in varied rewards and out comes, some of the better items needed certain quests botched too encouraging you to try different things not just 100% runs. This when people constantly complain about linearity in games now.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh if only the NDA would be partially lifted so I could tell you all about "da a-maze-zan" stuff. :<
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 12:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
MMOs that boast huge breasts, skimpy gear

I know most people think this is an inconsequential thing, but I think I'm the only one that gets driven crazy when fantasy MMOs do this sort of thing. I think bikini armor looks stupid as hell. I liked that XI has it mostly at a minimum (although heavy-armor cuisses still inexplicably expose a woman's thighs for no good reason).
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What started it imo...
Ironically that is the only one to offer multiple paths through quests resulting in varied rewards and out comes, some of the better items needed certain quests botched too encouraging you to try different things not just 100% runs. This when people constantly complain about linearity in games now.

Don't get me wrong, I liked that bit of it. Really, I did. But it felt like playing a Charle's Angels game more so than an FF game.
 Asura.Zizek
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2013-06-09 12:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

does it break nda to admit i dont mind global cooldown? :x
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-06-09 12:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

14 has skimpy gear, big breasts and pvp though :P. At least it'll have PVP on launch (or it's slated to, or very shortly after launch).

F2P > Sub though.

What is XIV going to bring to the table that any F2P MMO can't? I'd argue storyline and the brand itself but typical MMO players could care less about such things.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 12:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »

I know most people think this is an inconsequential thing, but I think I'm the only one that gets driven crazy when fantasy MMOs do this sort of thing. I think bikini armor looks stupid as hell. I liked that XI has it mostly at a minimum (although heavy-armor cuisses still inexplicably expose a woman's thighs for no good reason).
Your not the only one... But then again I'm also bugged by people using the realism argument for jumping when we can endlessly run and jump unlimited by heavy armour.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
Server: Ragnarok
user: Baelfael
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-09 12:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh if only the NDA would be partially lifted so I could tell you all about "da a-maze-zan" stuff. :<
Soon... soon...
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2013-06-09 12:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah not a fan of the skimpy gear either ... but ... it's what draws people to games ... :x
By Kyri 2013-06-09 12:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Im super excited for XIV imo. I loved the game in 1.0 but ARR looks well, amazing. im no white knight and I quite enjoy both XI/XIV as they hold my attention to almost all mmo I have tried that just don't seem to captivate me for very long. The way I figure to each their own, and if you like to play multiple mmo's that's your prerogative :) I try to stay a one mmo kinda gal who only sometimes dabbles in other mmo's but XI/XIV have that Zing for me personally.

Also on a side note after playing FFXI since 2003 I became for a while a "hardcore player" at first I was very against this take on more casualness to my mmo's but as times gone on and from playing other games (especially XI/XIV) I have come to realize that casual can be nice. Here to this day I find myself trying to fit so much into every day and still not having enough time to do all I want. XIV leaves me feeling like I still have a super amount on my plate but I can take it at a calmer pace. Sure some content was tedious (like running the same dungeon 50 times for a drop) but then again some of it is extremely hard(Darnius.. never did beat that guy but I came close!)!

All in all I think XIV 1.0 was failing mostly by three things, bad rep, UI lag(omg the lag) and not enough content. The UI lag is completely gone with the way they changed the maps(or so a little bird told me ;>.>) The content has been upped and the only downside I see is the past negative look at it. Yoshi has worked very hard on re-imaging the game and I for one am greatly impressed.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 12:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

F2P > Sub though.

What is XIV going to bring to the table that any F2P MMO can't? I'd argue storyline and the brand itself but typical MMO players could care less about such things.

Sick story, fun combat (that to me needs tweaking but meh), great graphics... idk
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-06-09 12:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »

To quote Tanaka:

There must be balance. All things strive for balance. I must balance you.

GW2 had a good mix of extremely silly skimpy gear and more modest sets as options for you to wear. Sometimes I want my character to look sexy and sometimes I want them dressed to kill.

I'm also totally OK with male characters being sexualized for the sake of fairness. If balloon *** is gonna be the tank, barrel thighs 6pack meathead can be my healer.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 12:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

F2P > Sub though.

I feel like they are banking too much on this one personally... It's a selling point don't get me wrong, but it won't hold players past getting lv50 and "Beating the game"
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 12:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hyur Highlanders were pretty damn jacked lol. They were built like oxen.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

How FF14 really ended.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 12:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm also totally OK with male characters being sexualized for the sake of fairness. If balloon *** is gonna be the tank, barrel thighs 6pack meathead can be my healer.
Swim wear
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19