If FFXIV Fails... What Does That Mean For FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-18 18:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It's going to be amusing to watch the over-infatuated beta players flip their ***when the game doesn't completely fulfill their impossibly high standards.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dearborn
Server: Bismarck
user: Dearborn
By Bismarck.Dearborn 2013-06-18 18:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Chaosprime said: »
Bismarck.Dearborn said: »
Fyyvoaa said: »
I had no issue with XI other then the fact that I was so far behind, and couldn't really realistically catch up without having to sacrifice an arm and a leg, XIV is a nice fresh start (having played it from day one) and I can at least stay on top of it alot better. I can't say I see XIV failing (or XI for that matter, as long as people are playing it ... unless it dips below a certain number of players total... then they might be forced to make some changes or merge, or shut down...)

So many great XI players that I know who left the game for RL issues (marriage, kids, work demands, graduation, etc) that tried to come back left right away.

If you aren't ahead of the curve you are lost it seems. I put in a lot of time to catch up and now the server is too small and too few people are at the 80% job range that I am. I'm still trying to learn about the new equipment and how to upgrade it and my point is that I have to go to a third party webpage or forum to learn that.

Is it too much to ask to simply have the game lead you into that progression?

Again, not giving up hope but rather going to try to add a new Social LS and rely on the people of FFXI to help out like they always have.

Ask Comeatmebro... He seems to never use wiki and know exactly what is what and how to do everything. All jokes aside this game has NEVER been that way and there's is nothing to say it will start now. Yes i agree those that missed the gravy train of the 2-4 hour fights at the start are likely to quit. Its obvious lol. Then the elite that remain per server (maybe 100? 150?) will go oh ***, we got no one to buy our gears no more, wtf where is everyone. Even then, they probably wont realise that it was them that pushed others out lol. Me i help where i can. However now im on like once a week or every 2 weeks..... period is getting bigger each time lol. And yes im 6/6 KI, 2/3 Naakuals, and 0/3 Delve Mega Boss. In a social so that's really not gonna happen any time soon lol nor do i have the interest xD

What a great reply. Exactly the case we see now.

Elite players don't want to help people catch up or get the gear that they deem 'suitable'. And I don't blame you for a second as time is an asset more and more for the 20-35 gaming group. So guys like myself who have the time and effort to do things to enjoy the game end up shouting in Jueno for 45 minutes then logging off.

Imagine trying to explain to someone totally new to the game all the different currencies/point systems in this game?!?!

Gil
Cruor
Conquest points
Imperial standing
Voidstones
Traverser stones
Guild points
Allied notes
Bayld
Plasma
Umbrage Plans
T. Whitshell
Alexandrite
O. Bronze
Byne Bills

...I'm sure I'm missing some.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Aselin
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2013-06-18 19:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Elite players don't want to help people catch up or get the gear that they deem 'suitable'. And I don't blame you for a second as time is an asset more and more for the 20-35 gaming group. So guys like myself who have the time and effort to do things to enjoy the game end up shouting in Jueno for 45 minutes then logging off.

Luckily I'm not an elite player. I'm helpful both in real life and in-game. It's probably how I was raised and where I went to school. People need help whether it's in a game or outside in the real world.

I always stand by this: "If no one else helps them, then who will?"

Time may be a luxury for some people, and a lot of high level players would rather help their LS members than strangers in a game, but devoting a small amount of your time if you aren't doing anything else important can mean a lot to a new player or returning player. And, to me, it also gives me something to do.

A lot of the people on my Friends List are people I've helped in the past at one time or another since 2005. And, when they're free themselves, they'll offer to help me as well.

Imagine trying to explain to someone totally new to the game all the different currencies/point systems in this game?!?!

Gil
Cruor
Conquest points
Imperial standing
Voidstones
Traverser stones
Guild points
Allied notes
Bayld
Plasma
Umbrage Plans
T. Whitshell
Alexandrite
O. Bronze
Byne Bills

...I'm sure I'm missing some.
FFXI is one of the very few or the only MMO I can think of with a non-traditional currency system. Majority of the MMOs out there follow the Everquest or WoW or [insert D&D-based game] form of currency of Gold, Silver, and Copper.

I like that FFXI is unique in that aspect as it separates itself from the myriad of WoW/D&D-based clones out there. However, it's like trying to memorize the D&D ruleset from the first page onward for each of the types of currency FFXI contains. That can confuse a lot of players in the game. I remember having to explain Cruor to a returning player who quit before Abyssea came out. The poor fellow looked like I was teaching him French.
[+]
By Kimble2013 2013-06-18 20:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

In all honesty, MMOs in general are a dying bread.

I played FFXI for years and it had its ups and downs. Its nice to meet people and have something to do. But an MMO will never compare to offline games like Bioshock, Last of Us, Halo, etc.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-06-19 02:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Kimble2013 said: »
In all honesty, MMOs in general are a dying bread.

I played FFXI for years and it had its ups and downs. Its nice to meet people and have something to do. But an MMO will never compare to offline games like Bioshock, Last of Us, Halo, etc.

Can't comment for Last of Us and with Halo it's a love hate thing but the original Bioshock is arguably one of the worst games I've ever played. But hey was a gift from steam so can't complain lol
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-06-19 02:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Just want to add that I know people are proper hating the Abyssea and Voidwatch era, but truth be told, I've never seen the community so together during this period than any other.
By Luvbunny1 2013-06-19 03:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I truly do not understand all these hate about abyssea at all. If that said content is so atrociously bad, why you cannot get rid of people from doing it no matter how hard SE tried to entice people with alternatives such as:

- GoV pages to get to 99, which is a better deal for hardcore who pride skill vs bashing worm non stop. You actually get to skill ups and play your job correctly with a proper 6 person party. Yet no one is touching any of these high level mobs, only select few who bother to skill ups.
- Relic AF2+3, let's face it most of the old schooler would already have at least the basic set or the +2 version. After all they were the ones who consumed old school dyna like rabid. Yet you only see small numbers of people get them, most would rather get AF3+2 done.
- Relic Weapon for all with Dyna Made Easy as 1,2,3. People still do empyrean weapon because it is faster to get it done with 4 people group.

Let's face it - we won't even be here at this stage without Abyssea. It is hands down the best content that ever grace this game. It lets you progress little by little and gives everyone hope that their time is not wasted. And it is a lot of fun having God mode abilities :)
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-19 03:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea was unavoidable because of AF3+2 and Empyrean weapons. Of course people were doing it. It was a means to an end. Doesn't mean everyone enjoyed it.

Also, AF2+2 and Relic weapons aren't alternatives to AF3+2 and Empyreans.
 Fenrir.Mesic
Server: Fenrir
user: Mesic
By Fenrir.Mesic 2013-06-19 03:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Fenrir.Mesic said: »
I quit two years ago, not because the game was dying, but because it *** sucks.

That's reason enough.

Without implying that I agree or don't, why do you believe it sucks?

Hyperbole aside...

FFXI moved away from the "MM" part of the "MMO". 90Abyssea was all about solo-duo all the things, so I really had no reason to play it over anything else. The big appeal of an MMO for me was that feeling of a group of *** triumphing over "Impossible" odds, and I was equally satisfied when I saw friends and shellmates get exceptional pieces of gear as when I did. (Ask old WT people how many Ridill I passed up).

Then with late Abyssea it became all about the individual. I'm going to solo my Empyrean. I'm going to Solo+Bot my Relic, other people were only called to action if they held a Key Item popset for a mob, allowed to sit behind the battle because "Moar people complicate the fight" (Which is true and valid but still)

I would always come back and check to see how FFXI was evolving over time, and with Seekers of Audolin, namely Delve, it looked like real group P.V.E. was making a comeback, I really considered playing again.

Then I read the Item Level thread on the FFXI official forums.

Ya got a pretty big VW gap there, abyssea's been dead for so long and the content you're referring to still doesn't even exist.

Anyone got a link to this thread?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-19 04:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea wasn't even close to dead when I quit. Legion hadn't been introduced yet, and Voidwatch was still borderline impossible, the whole proc'ing differences hadn't even been worked out entirely.

New Dynamis was the big thing when I quit, though it had been changed for a while already, people were just unlocking the (Solo/Botfarm) potential of it.

As for the thread to this new crap, it's floating around here somewhere, it's a purple title so it shouldn't be hard to find.
 Asura.Tamoa
Server: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2013-06-19 04:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mesic said: »
Then I read the Item Level thread on the FFXI official forums.

Anyone got a link to this thread?

OF thread: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/34679-Item-Levels
By Luvbunny1 2013-06-19 04:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Also, AF2+2 and Relic weapons aren't alternatives to AF3+2 and Empyreans.

How are Relic Armor +2 not a great alternative to AF3+2 please do enlighten me, some of those gears have very very nice stats, and if you do the dynamis trial, it gives you even better stats. Relic weapons not a good alternative??? I think a lot would disagree lol. Aegis shield is still one of the best. I did not add voidwatch gears to the list but those gears are also a great alternatives to abyssea gears but the low drop rate turn people off big time. You can get AF3+2 faster than you get Voidwatch gears (unless you are super lucky).

Honestly at the end of the day, people want to do less work for more, they rather take the easiest short cut if you give them choices. Things that can be low man will triumph the 18 people style. Sadly I have no clue why meeble burrow did not gain popularity, it's a fun event to do and everyone get something out of it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-06-19 08:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
How are Relic Armor +2 not a great alternative to AF3+2 please do enlighten me, some of those gears have very very nice stats, and if you do the dynamis trial, it gives you even better stats. Relic weapons not a good alternative??? I think a lot would disagree lol. Aegis shield is still one of the best. I did not add voidwatch gears to the list but those gears are also a great alternatives to abyssea gears but the low drop rate turn people off big time. You can get AF3+2 faster than you get Voidwatch gears (unless you are super lucky).
They aren't alternatives because they don't replace ***. You don't make a Redemption because Apocalypse is too hard ... you make an Apocalypse because Redemption is garbage. Likewise for many others. For every slot/time, there was a best piece. Skipping af2+2 for abyssea gear is equally stupid.. you need both.

Quote:
Honestly at the end of the day, people want to do less work for more, they rather take the easiest short cut if you give them choices. Things that can be low man will triumph the 18 people style. Sadly I have no clue why meeble burrow did not gain popularity, it's a fun event to do and everyone get something out of it.
Most people beat meebles in 2 weeks then let it go. The drops are crappy besides a couple things, and it didn't take long to get those. The only meebles that weren't trioable with 100% success rate was that shitty maze one and the synced kill leeches.

We get it. You like easy content. Ok. Saying it 40 more times doesn't introduce anything new to the conversation.

Abyssea STILL isn't outdated, fyi. Nearly every job has pieces they need from there still.
[+]
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2013-06-19 08:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

i see another cutting/merge of half the ffxi servers in the next year
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-06-19 09:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It's going to be amusing to watch the over-infatuated beta players flip their ***when the game doesn't completely fulfill their impossibly high standards again.

fourth time's the charm!
 Lakshmi.Cledant
Server: Lakshmi
user: Latifah
By Lakshmi.Cledant 2013-06-19 09:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Lakshmi.Cledant said: »
Luvbunny1 said: »
Lakshmi.Cledant said: »
Ffxi servers are designed to hold 5k players, now it barely reaches 1k subs/most of the servers, it would be very inaccurate to guess a number of current players that un-subscribed, but the % is a lot.

@ lakshmi JP prime time
- afk/bazzars/mules would be around 400 only active players online

Hmmm... so A LOT more people quit? I mean usually you get like 2k or so at peak, if this is the case than almost half the numbers are taking a break or quitting. I was being conservative with the numbers lol - didn't think it would be bigger - though half of my LS pretty much quit at this point or no longer play. And 75% of my friend list are inactive. That is not good. No wonder they are doing tons of "celebration events" almost every month. They should focus on fixing SoA and do it fast to stop the bleeding. When FF14 launches - it will have a major impact on FF11, the good word of mouth is so overwhelming at this point. Almost every review on beta impression are very good based on what I read and google. My experience has been overwhelmingly positive as well.
I started researching on all servers frequently, since lakshhmi is completely dead, a lot of players are aware about low populated and how stale ffxi is atm @ official ffxi forums

JP Prime still the same on Ragnarok btw.
Most servers are empty, leviathan, lakshmi, valefor and many others have extreme low population, it is hard to do events that take large quantity of players like delve, voidwatch .ect
By Luvbunny1 2013-06-19 15:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
We get it. You like easy content. Ok. Saying it 40 more times doesn't introduce anything new to the conversation. Abyssea STILL isn't outdated, fyi. Nearly every job has pieces they need from there still.

You got it backward... I like OPTIONS!! That is a huge difference! Options to log and play ASAP and not have to wait for shouts or spending 45 mnts to 60 mnts making anything. Or wait around with your LFG flag for invite at worm camp for 30 mnts. Even crafting here is such a chore.

If the beta holds and the launch is going to be even better, waiting for ***to do will be a thing of the past in FF14. WoW did this right, there is ALWAYS something to do there ASAP the minute you log. It is now 2013, not the 90s or 2002. People want instant log and play.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-06-20 08:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure which ffiv thread to put this in, so it's going here.

Someone recommended the warcry.com review of ffxiv and the articles were very interesting.

Part 1
Part 2

There will be a part 3 but it's not out yet.
 Cerberus.Hulkamania
By Cerberus.Hulkamania 2013-06-20 08:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I read the reviews, but i stoped when i noticed the site promotes gw2 that's enough for me to stop reading.
 Bahamut.Zellc
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2013-06-20 08:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you dont mind me asking, what exactly is wrong with gw2?
 Bahamut.Samunai
user: Samunai
By Bahamut.Samunai 2013-06-20 09:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, am I seriously the only one who enjoyed doing Post rank5 (Up to then, it was stupid, generic and boring) Nation missions, Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Derpgan, and even Wings of the Goddess missions, for reasons other than The ring, earring or whatever?

nope, i like the stories too but once played.. the only thing you can do is deck out your char pretty much yea.

I think people should stop asking if 14 would fail. I played 14-1 when it was out and i enjoyed it every bit. I think i am actually missing 1.0.... and that should be enough for at least to SQEX to maintain ff14... There are a shitload of people out there who think just the same. I accomplished alot of things, but i wasnt even near 'completing' anything. So im kinda sad i couldnt enjoy the game longer!

people should stop whining and just play the damn game and not stop after 1-2 or maybe 10 setbacks. And stop comparing it to 11... the # in the game is 14, not 11-2 orso. So if we all just relax~ grab our keyboard or gamepad and just play the game- we all be alot more happier than assuming ***would go wrong! I hope SQEX is clever enough (not assuming it isnt!) to put some selective shutters before their eyes and just put up a middle f*nger to the *** who said 14 is fail. every game has those so called 'doomday thinkers' so.... just /ignore them and it will all be allright.

I saw a someone post: "if ff14 will fail, and by the looks of it- it will"- i am like how stupid are you to believe some other people's opinion (the 'people that know what they are talking about'-kind)? how much did you disliked playing 14-1 if u did? It shouldnt be an excuse to force up your opinion to make others dislike it as well.
[+]
 Fenrir.Fulgore
Server: Fenrir
user: Deadendnl
By Fenrir.Fulgore 2013-06-20 09:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Incomming FF14-3 The return of Bahamut....
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-06-20 09:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

My friends all played XIV they thought it was ok but a bit meh. They are now in the beta and loving it I just got my reg key so ill be on XIV over the weekend. Fron what ive seen the game looks amazing and I dont just mean graphically FATEs look interesting, the new jobs looks fun, ive been told the storyline is also good then all the other stuff... choco npc, mounts.... I so want the coeurl armour for chocobos the list goes on.

I agree with the above poster that all the haters can stfu either actually try the game or go play something else.

And another poster about the XI missions, over the years SE have made really good storylines and really they continue to do so. I played through all the XI storylines twice apart from nation missions WoTG was absolutely incredible. Other games X, XII, XIII-2 had fantastic storylines and X-2 and XIII were ok but far from bad imo.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2013-06-20 09:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

[quote='Fenrir.Fulgore' pid=2386625]Incomming FF14-3 The return of Bahamut....[/quote]

incoming FF11 F2P
By Luvbunny1 2013-06-21 17:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

According to this dude, SoA is failing, HARD!!! Enjoy and flame on - hah hah hah hah.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/34745-Wake-up-Seekers-is-failing
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-21 17:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not even an entertaining moron.
By Luvbunny1 2013-06-21 17:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not even an entertaining moron.

That's rich coming from another moron like you :)
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-06-21 17:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Luvbunny1 what are you trying to prove here?
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19