If FFXIV Fails... What Does That Mean For FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-09 03:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV dying will hurt XI, as most people who quit to play XIV won't return to XI.

I doubt it will fail anyway, this is just like the beginning of XI again, everyone was screaming how bad it was way back when. And people are still comparing a new game to a complete product.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-10-09 03:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

I doubt it will quit anyway, this is just like the beginning of XI again, everyone was screaming how bad it was way back when. And people are still comparing a new game to a complete product.

people complained about ffxi, but not nearly to this extent... xiv is seriously lacking in some of the basic fundamentals that make a game great...

the problem with SE right now, is they think they can do no wrong.. look at the beta, they didnt give two shits about feedback, clearly indicated by minimal parties being able to leave it... and then the game was rushed to release.. you would think after months and months of beta testing things would change and stuff would be added/changed prior to release... totally not the case with xiv
[+]
By VladTepes 2010-10-09 03:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It won't fail.
[+]
 Bahamut.Striker
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Striker 2010-10-09 03:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Degs said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I doubt it will quit anyway, this is just like the beginning of XI again, everyone was screaming how bad it was way back when. And people are still comparing a new game to a complete product.

people complained about ffxi, but not nearly to this extent... xiv is seriously lacking in some of the basic fundamentals that make a game great...

the problem with SE right now, is they think they can do no wrong.. look at the beta, they didnt give two shits about feedback, clearly indicated by minimal parties being able to leave it... and then the game was rushed to release.. you would think after months and months of beta testing things would change and stuff would be added/changed prior to release... totally not the case with xiv
"Months and months" sounds about right, that makes 4 minimum right? Well after 6 months after applying for the beta I finally got one, hoping to do as they said "to make the game better" only to find I couldnt submit a bug report. I think they actually spent less than 2 and 1/2 months in closed beta before open which was also a pathetically short amount of time. They promised a release date that was not too far off in the future when word was heard of XIV, unfortunately they kept that promise and released a minutely tested, and only partially finished product. Honestly, they should have started alpha/beta earlier, made it much longer, and pushed release date back to say december 2010 at the very least.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-10-09 04:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

VladTepes said:
It won't fail.
Just like your post?

Phoenix.Authority said:
I'm genuinely curious what you guys think it will do to FFXI if FFXIV fails, which a lot of people are currently assuming it will. (This thread isn't about if ffxiv will fail or not, its only theoretical in the case it does).

If or when FFXIV fails, it would be like divorcing your new wife, for your x-wife that you have had a kid with. (No Stan we don't want to hear how good of a parent you are compared to anyone else!)

A fail of such a huge investment wouldn't necessarily make them broke, but would definitely dent their pockets. Therefore I could see them trying to recoup their losses by one the following methods:

1. Integrate the graphics of 14 into 11. (highly doubtful though as this would cost a lot.)

2. Attempt to release a full expansion pack, like ToAU, with all new areas, mobs, etc. (Would make the most sense, but would they actually do it? There is doubt.)

3. Keep pumping out more mini-expansions like ACP or Abyssea, that will have even less effort than mentioned mini expansions. (Sadly this is the more likely scenario.)

Numbers 1 + 2 would be excellent for FFXI. Number 3 would definitely hurt FFXI, but by no means kill it as well. Number 3 would just further homogenize the player base.

SE has yet to revamp old rewards (looking at you limbus) to make old content still rewarding for all. Yes now it's becoming more and more self rewarding, rather than e-peen rewarding for lack of a better description, but if FFXIV fails, they would seriously need to address this issue to ensure a return to FFXI for a better number of players.

[+]
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-09 04:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

They already lost 1Billion dollars with Spirit within, took them years and years for save up but they was ok so i guess they should be ok...
Problem is ff13, do they got money back after this half-success/fail ?
That could be lot harder...

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-09 04:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Thedreamer said:
They already lost 1Billion dollars with Spirit within, took them years and years for save up but they was ok so i guess they should be ok...

there is no way in hell that movie cost 1 billion dollars.....
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-10-09 04:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Gilgamesh.Thedreamer said:

there is no way in hell that movie cost 1 billion dollars.....
It was only 137 million. =P
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-09 04:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

US$137 million
my bad
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-09 04:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

thats a HUGE difference lol.. still a massive loss, and that sucks royally, but omg, that was a huge difference lol
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-10-09 04:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

When I played open beta for the limited time I did. I could notice constant bugs throughout the game. I was not told where I would have to go to report these said bugs/glitches so I just avoided them however possible and continued with my playing. In my experience, In Perfectworld closed and Open beta there were minimal bugs that weren't known about by the dev's and the ones that were... Well they were fixed within the next patch (once every month or so).
 Bahamut.Aiyana
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-09 05:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
Quote:
FFXI could be summed up in a 5 page essay, instead of multiple books (and then some).

Almost all of WoW's lore relies entirely on retcons and material spanning three games. I can't really say that's even remotely comparable.

Still, I really don't get the devteam's current *** for Moogles and Abyssea's grimdark ***.

By Abyssea, I mean their little hints they kept dropping. That Evolith synergy armor technically implemented ages ago counts as "Abyssean lore".

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
Still, I really don't get the devteam's current *** for Moogles and Abyssea's grimdark ***.

You just summed up three mini-expansions and pretty much all of abyssea in a single sentance.
Even if WoW does take an entire book to get to the point, at least it wastes enough of my time for me to get more into it beyond a passing Cutscene once every two weeks.
 Bahamut.Shaj
user: Shaj
By Bahamut.Shaj 2010-10-09 05:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Phoenix.Ingraham said:
Quote:
FFXI could be summed up in a 5 page essay, instead of multiple books (and then some).

Almost all of WoW's lore relies entirely on retcons and material spanning three games. I can't really say that's even remotely comparable.

By Abyssea, I mean their little hints they kept dropping. That Evolith synergy armor technically implemented ages ago counts as "Abyssean lore".

Phoenix.Ingraham said:

You just summed up three mini-expansions and pretty much all of abyssea in a single sentance.
Even if WoW does take an entire book to get to the point, at least it wastes enough of my time for me to get more into it beyond a passing Cutscene once every two weeks.

I love you Aiyana <3 just so you know.

I think FFXIV won't fail but we will get another server merge soon, since (my server Bahamut) been gimped up for a while. They'll keep merging till it only comes to 1 server, I might be talking lies but thats what I hope for anyway. Personally i'm sick of JP's not inviting me to Abyssea PT's not Accepting invites. But FFXIV on the other hand, I might buy it on PS3 Launch and maybe in March you all will see a huge difference in the game.

I think FFXI boosted 25% of players via Xbox 360? Did make the game great, shame no Botting LS had pearled those people, and funny enough they still play (Abyssea Gears FTW) hehe.

Keep posting I like this thread! (y)!
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-09 05:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV failing wouldn't have any effect on XI. XI is sustained through the revenue made from XI, not other games. Even if XIV bombs, SE is a huge company with its hand in a lot of creative lines, it would take more than that to cripple SE that badly.
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-10-09 05:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i thought this game could survive the hate-bashers (in other forums etc) but as it seems amazon japan already set down the price 29%. so it does not really give much much hopes.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-10-09 05:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV is just going through the same embarrassing stage FFXI went through ... 8 years ago.

I'm certain what Blazza said about divided devteams is true. The problem is that SE is so dead set on certain artistic visions, quotas and deadlines that they seemingly ignore the simplest of solutions (e.g. Front Mission: Evolved, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, the entire SaGa series, every FF spin-off ever. etc.)

FFXIV can't really fail. We're just gonna end up hating it for a few years until it becomes tolerable while maintaining steady revenue. After that, we'll be able to put on our rose-tinted glasses and talk about the good ol' early days of FFXIV by the time it's 2013 or something.

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
I read books based solely on how many pages they have. I also enjoy anime filler.

(FFXI's current "lore" still sucks though)
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-09 05:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo, should XIV fail it would probably affect XI negatively.

No matter how you put it, the game is old, lacks the attractive graphics you get on newer games, lacks attractive new storylines or expansions (I enjoyed every single storyline on XI simply because it broke the otherwise unbareable lvl and gear up grind).
All you get out of Abyssea is new gear which simply helps trash most of the certainties you had gained by finally managing to get some good (and now outdated) gear from previous expansions.

Before Abyssea everyone had a basic idea of what the "path" to perfecting their char and jobs was, and it involved several activities which transmitted a growth feel to each player, from Sky to Limbus, Sea, HNMs Einherjar and Salvage. When Abyssea and level cap removal came out they destroyed most of the old content in favor of EasyMode gameplay which simply requires spamming a timed (but not really) event where you get to pick your target, pop it, kill it and gain 1/? items towards the completion of the very same set of armor you'll be seeing everyone else wear (which doesn't really help you feel better or special. Like Perle SAMs DRGs DRKs and w/e else, you're just another DD out of the factory line)

I realize I kind of spinned off topic but it was all to say that most of the oldschool players who eventually tried out XIV to take a break from XI's grinding may no longer feel tempted to get back to XI considering how limited the content that is currently being used really is.
Imo the choices SE made in the past year have only helped quicken the game's dying process.
By Zekko 2010-10-09 05:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If think the OP means: when FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?

I've seen this too many times. AOC, WAR, LOTR. All good games. Now they are dead(5k population to me is dead). Pretty much because they werent addressing problems quickly enough.

The only players that will remain on this game will be the really hardcore ones that like it and the casuals that like wasting their money, and i envision that to be around 5-10k total players.

No magazine has given this game a good review. Because atm it frankly SUCKS. Im not saying it cant become the most successful MMO of all time cause the potential is there.

Just this happens all the time with MMOs. And Pre-WoW it was a lot easier to release MMOs.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-09 05:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
FFXIV is just going through the same embarrassing stage FFXI went through ... 8 years ago.

I'm certain what Blazza said about divided devteams is true. The problem is that SE is so dead set on certain artistic visions, quotas and deadlines that they seemingly ignore the simplest of solutions (e.g. Front Mission: Evolved, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, every FF spin-off ever.)

FFXIV can't really fail. We're just gonna end up hating it for a few years until it becomes tolerable while maintaining steady revenue. After that, we'll be able to put on our rose-tinted glasses and talk about the good ol' early days of FFXIV by the time it's 2013 or something.

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
I read books based solely on how many pages they have. I also enjoy anime filler.

(FFXI's current lore still sucks though)

Like what you did with my quote there! Though in all honesty, I don't read books anymore. Just give me the anime filler. (Hopefully with fanservice!)
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-10-09 06:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:

Like what you did with my quote there! Though in all honesty, I don't read books anymore. Just give me the anime filler. (Hopefully with fanservice!)

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Keeria
user: Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-10-09 07:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Phoenix.Ingraham said:

I'm certain what Blazza said about divided devteams is true. The problem is that SE is so dead set on certain artistic visions, quotas and deadlines that they seemingly ignore the simplest of solutions (e.g. Front Mission: Evolved, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, the entire SaGa series, every FF spin-off ever. etc.)

Bahamut.Aiyana said:

(FFXI's current "lore" still sucks though)

Reading all that is on that page actually (I do not know why).

I loled at this because it is a joke even to this day:

Quote:
03/04
「大体良いバランスになったのでバトルバランスは調整終わり」
「召喚士のプレイスタイルは僕達にもわかりません」
といった河本、樋口等の迷言がとびだす。

Some developers has stated yet another... mystery comment.
"Battle balance has become pretty good so we will no longer tune it" (you should be fired...)
"Summoners playstyle is something that we don't understand eighther" (Then why you frigging built something that even the creators doesn't understand eighther hmmm???)

EDIT:

I facepalmed at this:

Quote:
03/07/17
- Level 70cap has been anounced. New spells but no new WS added. The developers stated that they have used all the resources in the existing WS graphical effects.
I read that whole page too. Some of that stuff was just...ridiculous. Like, I played during part of that, but I guess I was too new to really understand what was going on. Or I'd have been appalled. Lol.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-09 07:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I just finished readng it all and man I'm still laughing XD
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-10-09 07:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

sir ffxi failed since the release yet people play it, they added level sync and more stuff because it was already dying with other issues, a long with the horrible gui and grinding , hard to get items and hard to kill mobs that used to take 24 hrs or more (pandi yahoo news recall), ffxi had tons of bad critics and bashing yetpeople plays it,

W.o.W is no way superior than ffxi and they do incredibly well because mass advertising and the ridiculious system requirements
[+]
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-10-09 09:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:

W.o.W is no way superior than ffxi and they do incredibly well because mass advertising and the ridiculous system requirements

Mass advertising to mindless unskilled gamers and making them think they did something important worked well too.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-10-09 10:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: sry didnt read properly.

i'm kinda boozed right now
 Alexander.Garlend
Server: Alexander
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-10-09 11:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-final-fantasy/705893
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy14/video/6281074?tag=topslot;watchlink;2#toggle_video
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-09 11:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

All of these reviews are slating everything I like about XIV :/

And most of the complaints could actually target XI easily.
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19