If FFXIV Fails... What Does That Mean For FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 17 18 19
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-09 12:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
F2P > Sub though.

What is XIV going to bring to the table that any F2P MMO can't? I'd argue storyline and the brand itself but typical MMO players could care less about such things.

Pretty much nothing from what I have seen. Its not going to be worth subbing for at least a year or two.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
I'm also totally OK with male characters being sexualized for the sake of fairness. If balloon *** is gonna be the tank, barrel thighs 6pack meathead can be my healer.
Swim wear
His shirt says dry, but his eyes look ready to cry at the sight.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-06-09 12:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kinda amusing that XI has survived as long as it has because the game was catered to a hardcore audience bound together in collective misery.

Casual games draw more people but with the subscription method of collecting money they are more likely to jump ship faster. SE should be milking these people for ingame items while they play for a short while rather than assuming they'll stick around for years on end like many of us did w/XI.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 12:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not really an uptight *** that thinks sexuality is a bad thing, so I don't think things like swimwear being in the game and looking sexy is a problem, but at least that makes sense.

I just think it looks dumb when a character is wearing a suit of heavy armor and it protects everything aside from their butt, thighs and boobs. It's not really a problem of "realism" as in it doesn't match the world we live in, but rather "realism" in that it's designed in a way that contradicts its intended function (armor's created to protect you...)

I think if you want to do something like that, go all in and make it really obviously over-the-top, like Dragon's Crown. Now I should probably reel my nerdiness a bit in.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 12:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
I'm not really an uptight *** that thinks sexuality is a bad thing, so I don't think things like swimwear being in the game and looking sexy is a problem, but at least that makes sense.

I just think it looks dumb when a character is wearing a suit of heavy armor and it protects everything aside from their butt, thighs and boobs. It's not really a problem of "realism" as in it doesn't match the world we live in, but rather "realism" in that it's designed in a way that contradicts its intended function (armor's created to protect you...)

I think if you want to do something like that, go all in and make it really obviously over-the-top, like Dragon's Crown. Now I should probably reel my nerdiness a bit in.
I liked how drg afk left the belly bare on females... Lets cover all but one of the most painful places to take a stab.

I don't truly care either, it's just a fun point to laugh at.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh! You mean like with Dragoon AF armor in FF14? Where the female's midriff is completely exposed? Yeah, that's *** stupid.

EDIT:

Dur hur perfect design.
By Kyri 2013-06-09 12:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I love love LOVE the outfits I have in XIV ^^ such a breath of fresh air from how tacky I looked in XI ((before empy) :P
Before:

After:

Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 12:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, part of the problem was that in XI you couldn't lock the look of your character so you end up wearing a clownsuit in order to be functional in battle. I haven't kept up on every detail of XIV so I dunno if they've decided to add in a function like that. I know the game has armor dyes but dunno if you can lock your appearance or anything.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-06-09 12:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Art has always been a medium for sexualizing the human (and non-human) body structure. MMOs are no different and sex sells. Most people double-take a game when there is an attractive avatar slinging a spell or wielding a sword. It's like a wet dream for the demographic and that may be literal depending on age.

The main issue is that the developers are usually men and surprise, surprise these men like designing sexy, attractive women for their video games.

If we're gonna cry "BUT REALISM!":
Why doesn't armor get dirty/tear?
Why does my character not need to eat/drink and ***in order to stay alive?
Why don't we have more durability costs?
Why was WAR AF1 a battle bikini?
Why does my character not light on fire after a fire/thunder spell? Why does my character not catch diseases?
Why do monsters have money on them?
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyri said: »
I love love LOVE the outfits I have in XIV ^^ such a breath of fresh air from how tacky I looked in XI ((before empy) :P
Before:

After:

Yeah, we keep bitching about this but truth be told, the vanity system would take care of this anyway lol.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-09 12:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, they need to make a living too!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-06-09 12:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for that nostalgia.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 12:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, part of the problem was that in XI you couldn't lock the look of your character so you end up wearing a clownsuit in order to be functional in battle. I haven't kept up on every detail of XIV so I dunno if they've decided to add in a function like that. I know the game has armor dyes but dunno if you can lock your appearance or anything.
They are adding a vanity system at some point but there are no real details I know of beyond that it will exist.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 12:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does my character not light on fire after a fire/thunder spell? Why does my character not catch diseases?

Personally I think there's a really big difference between realism as in if it follows all the rules of the real world and realism as in does it follow logic. After all, that's how we judge a lot of fiction. Otherwise, any time you run into something that doesn't make sense you can hand-wave it with "it's just a game/book/movie/etc".
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 12:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

There will be "Vanity Options" so you can lock your look (to an extent: obviously mages can't lock their look into being heavy armor).
By Kyri 2013-06-09 12:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Hey, they need to make a living too!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-06-09 12:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does my character not light on fire after a fire/thunder spell?
Why does my character not catch diseases?

Armor in FF14 becomes damaged over time and must be repaired for it to function. Otherwise 0% condition weapons hit for 0, armor doesn't grant bonus stats, etc. And, when you do eat/drink, your performance is enhanced. So while it's not really realistic, it's beneficial.

WAR AF comment applies to XI in which case, idfk. lol... I know Flare had a chance to inflict Burn status on a target. And Thundara had a chance to stun. Diseases I think apply to Virus and Plague. And only Beastmen drop gil (in 14) or coffers at the end of a primal fight (can assume that the gold was offered as a tribute from the beastmen to their god.)
 Bismarck.Aselin
Server: Bismarck
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2013-06-09 12:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Honest question but how many subscribers would be the minimum to consider the game not a failure?
[+]
By Kyri 2013-06-09 12:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
WAR AF comment applies to XI in which case, idfk. lol... I know Flare had a chance to inflict Burn status on a target. And Thundara had a chance to stun. Diseases I think apply to Virus and Plague. And only Beastmen drop gil (in 14) or coffers at the end of a primal fight (can assume that the gold was offered as a tribute from the beastmen to their god.)

Just for that nostalgia.

war in XIV:

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2013-06-09 14:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Need Samurai on 14 ASAP.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 14:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Need Samurai on 14 ASAP.

I wish.
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
Server: Ragnarok
user: Baelfael
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-09 14:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Need Samurai on 14 ASAP.
I believe it's lined-up for an expansion along with NIN and DRK.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 14:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zohnax said: »
Need Samurai on 14 ASAP.
I believe it's lined-up for an expansion along with NIN and DRK.

They said most likely to nin, nothing quite definitive on sam or drk though :(. Not that I can remember anyways, though they said a "Great Sword" type weapon would be if/when they implement sam, and not drk specifically.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2013-06-09 15:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If SE Fails I hope disney buys them out...
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Puzzykat
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Mithraf7
By Quetzalcoatl.Puzzykat 2013-06-09 15:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Degs said: »

Looking through this topic I saw this old, old post and just wanted to point out... To anyone who ever thought that worldmap was anything besides fanmade, wishful thinking; the western continent doesn't have any area on it that resembles the Adoulin region map at all. :3
By Kimble2013 2013-06-09 15:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said: »
If SE Fails I hope disney buys them out...

Why would Disney buy them out? They already gave Star Wars to EA.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-09 15:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Puzzykat said: »

Looking through this topic I saw this old, old post and just wanted to point out... To anyone who ever thought that worldmap was anything besides fanmade, wishful thinking; the western continent doesn't have any area on it that resembles the Adoulin region map at all. :3
it's pretty close, maybe SE went on a trollin' spree and based ulbuka off that map :<
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-09 15:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The deisng is imaginary, the locations and their positions are based on game lore and are correct.
[+]
 Bismarck.Aselin
Server: Bismarck
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2013-06-09 17:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Puzzykat said: »
It's funny how that map gets brought up from time to time in topics like these. It's also very outdated as I made it way back in 2007 (if going by the PSD file). I also imagined a much different Ulbuka continent (Far West) back then as well. A lot of corrections have to be made as well.

But, if you look at it, and if going by the lore of the game, there's still quite a lot of things that can be added to FFXI in future expansions. I half-expected SE to only release a portion of the Ulbuka continent because it's much bigger than what Adoulin covers just by going by the lore so far.

A lot of stories and mysteries to be uncovered in future expansions if FFXI even continues, or SE allows it to continue.

For example... (SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT PROGRESSED THROUGH CERTAIN QUESTS/MISSIONS IN FFXI!)
So there are a lot of questions still remaining to be answered and a lot of new discoveries to be made. It's in large part Square-Enix's fault for opening up these possibilities because of the now-defunct Vana'diel Tribune as well as the quests and missions providing tidbits of background info on other areas we have not seen yet.

The next expansion pack should at the very least uncover the rest of the Ulbuka continent. It's why I made it large on that map above for a reason. We have jungle-like environment to the south but the more north you go the more forested and colder it'll be by my estimates.

I'd love to see the rest of Vana'diel, but I've been playing this for seven years already. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be playing this MMO, then again there are people much older than me playing this game. I hope SE releases the next expansions in a timely manner. CCP Games manages a yearly release cycle with each expansion. Odyssey was just recently released. I'd like to SE to follow a similar path with expansions and make them larger as well.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-09 19:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if Tenzen's nation and the yagudo shogunate with wich the empire is at war are the same thing, I believe it's two different states in the far east.

Also, Lekho in a mission mentions the mithra queen calling her evil and plotting who knows what...wish we knew more!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 17 18 19