If FFXIV Fails... What Does That Mean For FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
If FFXIV fails... what does that mean for FFXI?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 17 18 19
 Asura.Ryndo
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Zarrox
By Asura.Ryndo 2013-06-09 09:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Asura.Ryndo said: »
The global cooldown system. No. Just No. BAD IDEA.

EEEEEEEEEEEEXACTLY. I hate that ***. It's dumb......

But i didn't point out in my wall of text.

So far. The story seems pretty darn good. I never played 1.0 but im playin beta and im enjoying it.

BUT i kept up with 1.0 better than most. >_>
By Einhejar 2013-06-09 10:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The global cooldown system. No. Just No. BAD IDEA.

Clicking is a terrible idea.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 10:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
WoW has been out for how many years? And how many WoW style MMO released after WoW? A lot if you include the F2P one! None are as successful as WoW because it offers nothing new. And players quickly get sick of all that traditional MMORPG formula: Log on, create a race, choose a class, choose a gender, get quest, lv up, learn skill, do raid, kill boss, get gear, repeat. After playing same game mechanics for years it gets old.

Funny thing about MMOs is that by their nature, it actually doesn't matter much if your game is objectively "better" in every conceivable way, because they're designed to be played to the exclusion of everything else, and people stick to one MMO where all their friends/guild/wizard's robe and hat are. It isn't like an action game where you can make a Bayonetta and you'll get a bunch of DMC fans open to trying the game because they already beat DMC, which is why I've always been confused why so many MMO companies in the last several years have been pursuing that exact goal.

SWTOR fails, and brand name couldn't save it, I doubt FF can save FFXIV.

To be fair, SWTOR was a pretty unremarkable game in every way other than its massive solo-play story content. A huge chunk of the people interested in the game enjoyed their time with the story campaign and just unsubscripted when they finished that. Nobody really cared about the MMO aspect of it, which had basically nothing different from WoW.

FFXIV gets a healthy number of subscriber like LoTR doesn't mean it's not a failure, it probably has higher dev and marketing cost than LoTR due to remake....A higher budget MMO should make more money, or else it's a fail.

I definitely agree that FFXIV is going to perform way below SE's expectations. They can probably let the game run and make money off of it- not a profit until a long ways off though.

Einhejar said: »

thatsthejoke.jpg

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Honest question but how many subscribers would be the minimum to consider the game not a failure?

It's impossible for us to know because we don't know how much the game cost. It's pretty easy to reference other MMOs and know that it's -a lot- though.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-06-09 10:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

All this stuff... Tl;dr..
I don't usually get involved in quarrels but....

From what ive seen on the beta so far, it's amazing.

What i love about XIV is there is more than just 3 ways to lvl, other than XI (Mindless grinding in GoV.... Mindless keying in abyssea, or constant death in soloing.)

So far.. i can count...

Leves.
Instance/dungeons.
Quests
Hunting Logs
Solo / group party exping (sure its only a small amount of exp per mob, but its exp nonetheless.)
And im sure there is way more.

XI has more than 3 ways of exp'ing

Reive
Coalition Assignments
Fields/Grounds of Valor parties
Abyssea parties
6 man parties outside of Abyssea(just because the majority of people choose not to do it this way doesn't mean they don't exist anymore)
Solo

Sure FFXI could have more ways to get exp but it won't pull people out of abyssea unless it was faster, which is unlikely.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-06-09 10:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, SWTOR was a pretty unremarkable game in every way other than its massive solo-play story content. A huge chunk of the people interested in the game enjoyed their time with the story campaign and just unsubscripted when they finished that. Nobody really cared about the MMO aspect of it, which had basically nothing different from WoW.

Yeah I still have an active character in SWTOR and I still play it here and there, just not as often as FFXI. I do enjoy the story for first 20 hours, after that I realized majority of side-story that's not main quest is just glorified version of every other MMO: They're forgettable and just not that much different from other games, except it has voice acting and it's longer. Every other aspect such as group quest/PVP has been done for one million times and loading time is unbearable that it ruined the playing experience.

I only love this game because it's SW, and pretty much hated every other aspect. I'm looking for a MMO with depth in terms of player interaction and game play, and SWTOR didn't do too well on this.

But yes, I agree that at least SWTOR did the main story part right. If FFXIV can have same lv of story telling(in 1.0 it didn't) at least it won't fail as fast!
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
user: Baelfael
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-09 10:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Einhejar said: »

thatsthejoke.jpg
If people spam click like that, or spam button mash, they're just dumb. There's a small little animation for the stuff you do, and by the time it just about finishes, you can hit it again. I don't know why everyone is so over-reactive to the "GCD" which isn't global by the way.

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Honest question but how many subscribers would be the minimum to consider the game not a failure?

It's impossible for us to know because we don't know how much the game cost. It's pretty easy to reference other MMOs and know that it's -a lot- though.
EDIT: Better yet, this is what they have on their website:
◆Legacy
   Subscription Period: 30 days
   Fee: $9.99
   Number of playable characters: 8 per World and up to 40 per service account
  * Please visit the URL below for details on the Legacy Campaign.
   http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

◆Entry
   Fee: $12.99
   Number of playable characters: 1 per World and up to 8 per service account

◆Standard
   Fee: $14.99
   Number of playable characters: 8 per World and up to 40 per service account
By Afania 2013-06-09 10:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What i love about XIV is there is more than just 3 ways to lvl, other than XI (Mindless grinding in GoV.... Mindless keying in abyssea, or constant death in soloing.)

So far.. i can count...

Leves.
Instance/dungeons.
Quests
Hunting Logs
Solo / group party exping (sure its only a small amount of exp per mob, but its exp nonetheless.)
And im sure there is way more.

The battle system is nice and smooth and i just LOVE the music in the game, the graphics were amazing (and my system played it on Low-end standard level)
also the character customization is better than what i could have ever hoped for. The sheer amount of options is brilliant.

But don't get me wrong.. I'm not going to sit here and fanboy FFXIV though, I do have my quarrels with it.

Quest/solo/group/leve/dungeon for EXP doesn't make a PC MMO good, it's been done in almost every other MMO.

And why does character customization matter, I don't think anyone play a MMO to create characters ><
 Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs 2013-06-09 10:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

14 will go the way of D3, strong start and then become a cancer that destroys the name.

One can only wonder what would of happen if FF wasn't attached to it.
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-09 10:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs said: »
14 will go the way of D3, strong start and then become a cancer that destroys the name.

the Final Fantasy name has been destroyed already
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-09 10:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

D3 launched on reputation of D2 alone, that's why it failed. You could beat the damn thing in a day and then got had to repetitively grind and get your face beaten in until they had to nerf Inferno. It's been over a year now as well, and still no mention of an expansion?

Yoshi-P is doing a really good job trying to psych fans up and be involved with the community. XIV: ARR has had a complete make-over and a lot of the people I've talked to before saying how bad it looked then, look at it now and are quite impressed with the new game. The Dev Team is also launching with a wide variety of end-game content as well, so as to not go the way of SW:TOR. Once the game launches, it's already been said that an expansion will be underway, so... yeah.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 10:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zohnax said: »
If people spam click like that, or spam button mash, they're just dumb. There's a small little animation for the stuff you do, and by the time it just about finishes, you can hit it again. I don't know why everyone is so over-reactive to the "GCD" which isn't global by the way.

Cooldowns like that encourage people to faceroll the keyboard because if you want to maximize your performance in offensive situations you want to just fire over and over. The GCD has been changed a bunch of times since that image was made anyway, I only posted it because I thought it was funny.

I don't see how that helps. That doesn't tell us anything other than what the players have to pay for the game. We don't know what the development costs are nor do we know the upkeep costs for the game. But I was prepping a better answer for Seha's question anyway-

for comparison, FFXI's development cost between 2 and 3 billion yen ($16-24 million) (Source). They took about a year and a half to recuperate that cost and begin making a profit. Obviously you can't just break even to be considered a "success" though. It all depends on what you're shooting for. Like Afania posted, they had some ridiculous goals for Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution, and despite both games doing pretty well (especially the former, critically and otherwise), they still considered both a disappointment.

And why does character customization matter, I don't think anyone play a MMO to create characters

I actually think it's a really important aspect, it's a role-playing game after all. One of the things I always hated about XI is how there was only a handful of faces to choose from.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs 2013-06-09 10:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »

the Final Fantasy name has been destroyed already
see, it already did it

They messed up at the start with XIV trying to copy XI.
If they changed character models and called it Mana Online, things would have been very different.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-09 10:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually care about the customization of the character, both from the playing aspect and physical appearance, which albeit minor is still a very pleasant thing.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-09 10:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I hated them so much for making 14 a sorta remake of 11 :| I wanted an Ivalice online, would have played the hell out of it!

I want to be a gria!
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 10:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ivalice really isn't the same without Matsuno at the helm, so I'd rather they just leave Ivalice alone if they can't get him.
[+]
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
Server: Bismarck
user: alyria
By Bismarck.Alyora 2013-06-09 10:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

If FFXIV fails, its still going to be how it is now...

If it does not fail, I think it will drop a bit in ffxi but slowly go back like any other game, its good at first til you finish getting to the max level with nothing to do or have to wait for others to get to max level...and so you just go back to ffxi til a big enough group that knows what they're doing on FFXIV shows up for whatever endgame type content.

Dunno thats just my thoughts
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-09 10:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see how that helps. That doesn't tell us anything other than what the players have to pay for the game. We don't know what the development costs are nor do we know the upkeep costs for the game. But I was prepping a better answer for Seha's question anyway-

for comparison, FFXI's development cost between 2 and 3 billion yen ($16-24 million) (Source). They took about a year and a half to recuperate that cost and begin making a profit. Obviously you can't just break even to be considered a "success" though. It all depends on what you're shooting for. Like Afania posted, they had some ridiculous goals for Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution, and despite both games doing pretty well (especially the former, critically and otherwise), they still considered both a disappointment.
I misinterpreted the initial statement, sorry. x:

And why does character customization matter, I don't think anyone play a MMO to create characters

I actually think it's a really important aspect, it's a role-playing game after all. One of the things I always hated about XI is how there was only a handful of faces to choose from.
It's a proven fact that players like to create an avatar that makes they feel they can relate to and make them feel like they stand out.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-09 10:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

By Einhejar 2013-06-09 10:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

And why does character customization matter, I don't think anyone play a MMO to create characters ><

Same reason why people want cool looking character models, cool looking gear and appearance panels.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-09 10:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also in response to someone mentioning mobile earlier

Quote:
In its fiscal year review, Square Enix said it will increasingly target smartphone and tablet games.
 Bahamut.Sevvy
Server: Bahamut
user: Sevvy
By Bahamut.Sevvy 2013-06-09 10:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont think its going to fail. Even at the end of 1.0 it was a fantastic game, and now with ARR its going to be even better. I have dabbled in the beta and its wonderful, though maybe a little too cartonny. There is going to be a good indication of the game with phase three coming out because you can see more of the world and see more endgame, I personally cannot effin wait!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-09 10:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Sevvy said: »
I dont think its going to fail. Even at the end of 1.0 it was a fantastic game, and now with ARR its going to be even better. I have dabbled in the beta and its wonderful, though maybe a little too cartonny. There is going to be a good indication of the game with phase three coming out because you can see more of the world and see more endgame, I personally cannot effin wait!
To be fair, there's quite a few games going for the cartoon-y look right now and do decently well. Street Fighter for example.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 10:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing they kept was the races, aside from that their goal was actually to make it as different from XI as possible which didn't work out so well for them.
 Bahamut.Sevvy
By Bahamut.Sevvy 2013-06-09 11:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
The only thing they kept was the races, aside from that their goal was actually to make it as different from XI as possible which didn't work out so well for them.

They copied mobs too, goblins look exactly the same just in more detail and they are cute as ***, other than that they are vastly different, especially in the actual game play. The only thing I really miss is the text system. I know XI is outdated but I like it the best personally.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 11:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

They copied mobs too, goblins look exactly the same just in more detail and they are cute as ***, other than that they are vastly different, especially in the actual game play. The only thing I really miss is the text system. I know XI is outdated but I like it the best personally.
I didn't count mobs because you have to hold that against every FF if you hold it against XIV.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-09 11:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he meant the monsters they basically just upgraded to HD like the Goblins and Goobbues. FFI Goblins look really different from XI goblins but XIV goblins are identical to XI ones.

I mean it might've just been a sort of "let's start a new tradition of having monsters look similar in our online games", but the bad quality of 1.0 made people assume it was just another way they were being lazy with their development.
 Bahamut.Sevvy
By Bahamut.Sevvy 2013-06-09 11:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't count mobs because you have to hold that against every FF if you hold it against XIV.

YOU!
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-06-09 11:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just looking at FFXI, many things can and should be done to advance the content should FFXIV fail.

I agree with Aselin on the story line. The story needs to be deep, and immense, but at the same time, not take the 2.5 years it took SE to release all of WotG. Content that is unlocked as you progress through the missions should should need a certain level of completion before you can advance to new content. A close example would be the Campaign battles in WotG. Completing those should have been, at least in a small way, required to continue deeper into the missions.

Make some content for everyone. The low-man groups, the shout groups, etc. But make incredibly hard content for the better groups. Delve bosses are close to this concept, but I foresee them being shout group material within a few months

Revamp crafting. This can be done several ways. Make each craft actually contribute to endgame in varying ways. Have some of the top tier gear either synthable, or requiring synth materials. Bring back some of each of the crafts trademark items, and have them competitive, stat wise, to drops (looking at you, Goldsmithing Stat rings). Allow gear and items to be combined to allow give the gear an auto-item upgrade. Example, allow us to combine a head piece with holy water. So that when we get doomed, if we have any holy waters in our inventory, it will use them automatically, with no input from us. And finally, for the 5 main visible armors, as well as all weapons, include "battle damage" on them. Where over time, as you take damage, your armor loses stats gradually, and needs repair, which can either be done at a guild or by a player with sufficient skill level. Heavy armor allows a lot of damage to be taken, while light armor for mages needs less damage before it loses stats. For weapons, as you fight mobs, your swords and polearms and such will need to be resharpened, guns need to be cleaned, bows need restrung. This can be based by level. Hitting a high level NM will wear down a blade faster.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-09 11:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Just looking at FFXI, many things can and should be done to advance the content should FFXIV fail.

I agree with Aselin on the story line. The story needs to be deep, and immense, but at the same time, not take the 2.5 years it took SE to release all of WotG. Content that is unlocked as you progress through the missions should should need a certain level of completion before you can advance to new content. A close example would be the Campaign battles in WotG. Completing those should have been, at least in a small way, required to continue deeper into the missions.

Make some content for everyone. The low-man groups, the shout groups, etc. But make incredibly hard content for the better groups. Delve bosses are close to this concept, but I foresee them being shout group material within a few months

Revamp crafting. This can be done several ways. Make each craft actually contribute to endgame in varying ways. Have some of the top tier gear either synthable, or requiring synth materials. Bring back some of each of the crafts trademark items, and have them competitive, stat wise, to drops (looking at you, Goldsmithing Stat rings). Allow gear and items to be combined to allow give the gear an auto-item upgrade. Example, allow us to combine a head piece with holy water. So that when we get doomed, if we have any holy waters in our inventory, it will use them automatically, with no input from us. And finally, for the 5 main visible armors, as well as all weapons, include "battle damage" on them. Where over time, as you take damage, your armor loses stats gradually, and needs repair, which can either be done at a guild or by a player with sufficient skill level. Heavy armor allows a lot of damage to be taken, while light armor for mages needs less damage before it loses stats. For weapons, as you fight mobs, your swords and polearms and such will need to be resharpened, guns need to be cleaned, bows need restrung. This can be based by level. Hitting a high level NM will wear down a blade faster.

the auto-item thing would never happen i don't think. Not even in 14. All of those things you mentioned about crafting (and the shout group/low-man/strong end-game LS stuff) are already kinda in the game already... +7 stat rings are still very much used, and the very high end weapons that are craftable come from delve bosses. Also the "battle dmg" thing is in 14, and it will never be a part of 11 I don't think. If they wanted to put battle damage into weapons/armor they would have/could have done it a decade ago. I really don't think they will all of the sudden implement something like this, as it wouldn't make sense at this point in the game's life.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-09 11:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Auto items would never happen officially, you may be able to do that with spellcast though, never used it so can't say for sure. As far as gear damage goes honestly I don't think adding it would go over very well after 11 years of not having it.

YOU!
What did I do this time :/
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 17 18 19