Lakshmi.Lenus
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-03-29 00:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Malothar said: »
Lakshmi.Amymy said: »
make no mistake about it. gear played a huge part in the easy win. an idris geo a koga sam didn't check the other people's gears. im not going to go out and say "just need people with half a brain to clear this." takes skills and gears.

You would be wrong. Half that alliance knew what they were doing, I know, my LS was the one leading it. It takes people with half a brain to do things. Like that Fomor wipe. No one mentioned to the pug Pld that the 2nd wave of Fomors weren't going to be AoE'd down. So he pulled them all. No one mentioned to the pugged mages that they weren't going to be AoE'd down. So they AoE'd. We wiped lol. Derpy actions get you a derpy ending.

The difference is we explained the strat, people listened, and we completed. Most pugs woulda tossed their hands in the air, cursed SE for making such stupidly difficult content, and called everyone in the group noob scrubs. ***, I thought about saying something when you were dying repeatedly on... Pixie? Ooze? I forget. Yinzi didn't need the attention of a Whm though so we were content with letting you RR over and over again.

Hahaha
By protectorchrono 2015-03-29 00:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dakenx said: »
@protectorchrono: You are taking things way too seriously. My dark heart must not romanticize my "accomplishments" as much as your pure heart. It's a game and it's for entertainment don't try to tell me what's morally right or wrong. I really don't think selling things in a videogame to people willing to buy them is any way to judge another person's character. Again I cleared a run last night didn't pay for it and don't plan to buy/sell any clears for this but to say it is morally wrong is just ignorant. People have a right to sell anything they want as long as people are willing to buy it. Would be nice if people would just gear up and do it themselves then maybe I could fill an alliance (I know it can be done with less but these are PUGS so playing it safe). Most people value time over gil so that is why people are willing to buy these runs. I plan to try another PUG tonight hopefully with better success of finding members

Quote:
It's a game and it's for entertainment don't try to tell me what's morally right or wrong.

Maybe because it is morally wrong to profit off of people's laziness and their inability to put groups together to clear content. I'm not your father, or anything but I know right from wrong, do you? People buying runs are no different from people buying gil and buying people to powerlevel them. It's stupid and it just plain ruins the foundation of the game and fills it with nothing but fools who want things the easy way and don't like putting in effort.

Quote:
I really don't think selling things in a videogame to people willing to buy them is any way to judge another person's character.

I said nothing about selling things to those willing to buy them (ex: bazaars, shops etc), I'm talking about the content and those that buy and sell them. I consider myself a good judge of character, and I can tell when something isn't right, especially if people want to profit off of peoples' laziness and take advantage of those who know no better. It's like those who sell their bodies for sex just for money. All these content sellers want is Money, they don't care about helping out another player for free who needs help. It's like saying
Quote:
"You want help? Pay me first."

People who do that, to me, are scum, that is all.

Quote:
Again I cleared a run last night didn't pay for it and don't plan to buy/sell any clears for this but to say it is morally wrong is just ignorant.

It is morally wrong, just because it's a video game, you forget it's other people we are playing with, not some single player game with nothing but npcs. Content sellers want money and care nothing about helping the player unless they are willing to fork over cash, especially if the players really need help, the least you could do is offer them help. It would mean a lot to that player, create bonds, it sets a good example and could inspire them to help out others as well.

Quote:
but to say it is morally wrong is just ignorant

The ignorant ones are the ones who lets this injustice continue.

Quote:
People have a right to sell anything they want as long as people are willing to buy it.

Sure, they have the right but in the end, they are damning themselves and throwing their hearts away just for the sake of money (Talking about Content, but bazaars or anything like that).

Human Beings play this game. This isn't a single player game, so think about that, kids might be playing this game as well, do you want to show them that selling people content clears and buying clears from people who just want their money is okay? You want them to offer help to another player but for a price? All of this just sets up bad scenarios. Some who are REALLY in the game and make it their lives could apply these kinds of dark morals in real life.

Here's a scenario: "An Elderly person needs help across the street, you offer to help them across the street but ask them to pay for your assistance."

See what I'm getting at?

Quote:
Would be nice if people would just gear up and do it themselves then maybe I could fill an alliance (I know it can be done with less but these are PUGS so playing it safe).

Good advice, spread the word. Get more people to do research runs, gear up and set up groups to tackle the content. Also, not all PUGS are bad, I've actually gotten a lot of clears from PUGS.

Quote:
Most people value time over gil so that is why people are willing to buy these runs.

What this translates to is:
Quote:
We are too lazy and don't have time for runs so we are gonna take the easy way out and pay for runs we could easily clear if we MAKE TIME.

Seriously, if you don't have the time to do runs, then make time or wait for a day you have more time to do them. No wonder this game is failing, people complain and want more tough content and better drops, then when they get said tough content they just want to skip the "red tape" and buy the clears without contributing anything or trying the content to get the items because they think it's too hard and want things the easy way. It's damn pathetic and ruins the game even more. FFXI will indeed fizzle out even faster at the rate it's heading.

If you fail at a run, who cares? Try again. Things that come easy, aren't worth getting/having. Think about that sentence before you guys purchase content clears.
By mortontony1 2015-03-29 00:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

protectorchrono said: »
I consider myself a good judge of character, and I can tell when something isn't right, especially if people want to profit off of peoples' laziness and take advantage of those who know no better. It's like those who sell their bodies for sex just for money.

Tbh I stopped reading your wall of text right there. That's a really *** up analogy to make. I also fail to see how it's 'morally wrong' to sell runs to anything. Ever. I assume the term 'exploiting' would be correct, but no one is forcing these people to buy runs. They choose to. And as long as there are people willing to buy there are people willing to sell.
[+]
By protectorchrono 2015-03-29 00:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

mortontony1 said: »
I consider myself a good judge of character, and I can tell when something isn't right, especially if people want to profit off of peoples' laziness and take advantage of those who know no better. It's like those who sell their bodies for sex just for money.

Tbh I stopped reading your wall of text right there. That's a really *** up analogy to make. I also fail to see how it's 'morally wrong' to sell runs to anything. Ever. I assume the term 'exploiting' would be correct, but no one is forcing these people to buy runs. They choose to. And as long as there are people willing to buy there are people willing to sell.

Should've kept reading. Also, that analogy is very accurate if you think hard about it.

Quote:
but no one is forcing these people to buy runs. They choose to. And as long as there are people willing to buy there are people willing to sell.

They are lazy and want things the easy way cause they can't be bothered to start up groups, which just adds to their laziness, it's patheic.
By palladin9479 2015-03-29 00:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hoshiku said: »
Hell we wiped to fomors on our first attempt too, this stuff is trial and error.

Same here, not much solid info out yet so most groups will wipe their first time then crush it.

The zones aren't hard, they just require communication and strategy. This is obviously SE giving a nod to those who wanted "old school alliance HNMLS content". There is no scaling so you want a full alliance and limited drops from the NMs which encourages the old DKP / controlled lotting system. It's basically like old limbus / sea / sky type events. Thankfully the items are sellable so there isn't so much of a barrier for casuals, though the upgrade items should drop from each NM instead of only from the MB.
By mortontony1 2015-03-29 00:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Should've kept reading. Also, that analogy is very accurate if you think hard about it.

Quote:
but no one is forcing these people to buy runs. They choose to. And as long as there are people willing to buy there are people willing to sell.

They are lazy and want things the easy way cause they can't be bothered to start up groups, which just adds to their laziness, it's patheic.

Please, explain how people buying/selling anything in a VIDEO GAME is realistically similar to prostitution.

And you are correct on your second point; people are lazy. I don't think anyone will ever argue with you there. That's why they're willing to pay for content. In my experience, 90% of the content selling is 100% driven by those paying for it, not those selling it.
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-03-29 01:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe because it is morally wrong to profit off of people's laziness and their inability to put groups together to clear content. I'm not your father, or anything but I know right from wrong, do you? People buying runs are no different from people buying gil and buying people to powerlevel them. It's stupid and it just plain ruins the foundation of the game and fills it with nothing but fools who want things the easy way and don't like putting in effort.

I said nothing about selling things to those willing to buy them (ex: bazaars, shops etc), I'm talking about the content and those that buy and sell them. I consider myself a good judge of character, and I can tell when something isn't right, especially if people want to profit off of peoples' laziness and take advantage of those who know no better. It's like those who sell their bodies for sex just for money. All these content sellers want is Money, they don't care about helping out another player for free who needs help.

we're not talking about food/air/water/shelter here. we're talking about a video game. The help people want is not some human need that they can't live without, it's a luxury they want. morality has nothing to do with charging people for services. Or are you going to try and say taxi drivers are immoral for charging people to give them a ride?
 Bismarck.Inference
Server: Bismarck
user: Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2015-03-29 01:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Things

Your issue is that you are trying to assign your personal beliefs to every person in FFXI ever.

You cannot directly blame content sellers for the "decline of FFXI" because it is not 100% our fault. Frankly, as someone who has been around since the beginning of the game, there have always been gaps in skill/rewards/etc, its just the way things are. You sound like someone who got a group together to clear some content. That is good by you. Take pride in your achievements. A few casual players wanting a shark dagger to farm their Dynamis better shouldn't devalue anything you've ever done.

You fail to realize, especially with Delve(because it just kind of sat there without any new content to compete with it), that if groups were not making some money off of it, they would probably not be doing it. What about your group? You have such a problem with sellers? Offer a few spots in your group per run for free, see how long you want to keep that going. Will you turn away anyone? What are your grounds for that? I'm legitimately curious since you have such a moral high ground. Be that inspiration you're telling us to be.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-03-29 01:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Believe it or not, but when a demand for a service exists, a market will rise to capitalize on that demand. The people selling are looking out for themselves, and I'm going to tell you right now that the people buying are as well. The vast majority of time they are after specific drops or just a fast and easy clear for themselves. Are they selfish because they're only buying runs for themselves, not building a group and taking others with them? Debatable, but they're certainly lazy.

You can't paint run sellers as these diabolic masterminds twiddling their waxed mustachios as the poor, innocent, God-fearing buyers are totally at their mercy. It's a two-way street.

And for the record: I have never sold a run for Delve and regularly clear content for people who need it. I will probably sell Vagary clears now that my LS is clearing it consistently. 45 minutes in Vagary for a bunch of money sure beats 2 hours in Dynamis for far less, and this way, even the buyer gets to profit. It's not a seller's fault that a buyer has more money than common sense and ambition.
[+]
By mortontony1 2015-03-29 01:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Believe it or not, but when a demand for a service exists, a market will rise to capitalize on that demand. The people selling are looking out for themselves, and I'm going to tell you right now that the people buying are as well. The vast majority of time they are after specific drops or just a fast and easy clear for themselves. Are they selfish because they're only buying runs for themselves, not building a group and taking others with them? Debatable, but they're certainly lazy.

+1

Some of those people who end up going 0/way too many on whatever HTBCNM drop or what have you they're going for, very well may find it infinitely easier and better to spend 2/3 days in dynamis and just buy said item from some group who just ends up flooring that item anyways. Could that group in theory let them have it for free? Yeah, of course they could. But, people who are willing to pay for it are going to, and since when have people ever turned down money?
 Lakshmi.Amymy
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2015-03-29 08:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

make no mistake about it. gear played a huge part in the easy win. an idris geo a koga sam didn't check the other people's gears. im not going to go out and say "just need people with half a brain to clear this." takes skills and gears.

You would be wrong. Half that alliance knew what they were doing, I know, my LS was the one leading it. It takes people with half a brain to do things. Like that Fomor wipe. No one mentioned to the pug Pld that the 2nd wave of Fomors weren't going to be AoE'd down. So he pulled them all. No one mentioned to the pugged mages that they weren't going to be AoE'd down. So they AoE'd. We wiped lol. Derpy actions get you a derpy ending.

The difference is we explained the strat, people listened, and we completed. Most pugs woulda tossed their hands in the air, cursed SE for making such stupidly difficult content, and called everyone in the group noob scrubs. ***, I thought about saying something when you were dying repeatedly on... Pixie? Ooze? I forget. Yinzi didn't need the attention of a Whm though so we were content with letting you RR over and over again.

I tossed a curaga on my group and like 10 elementals came over. RR. Proceed to cure my own party. Attract attention died. RR. Am I suppose to let my party died in order to stay alive? What were you going to say? Don't cure ur own party to stay alive? Then Boss did some sorta AOE attack that hit me from far. Died.

We need people with brains to clear this content. No doubt about it. But GEAR plays a huge role. Is there an argument on that? I'm commenting on someone that stated ONLY NEED people with half a brain. That's a little disrespectful to those groups that failed on these runs and hadn't win yet.
By Pantafernando 2015-03-29 08:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people with half a brain is entirely dead.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-03-29 10:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

When does Yinzi ever need a whm? Just saying, from my experiences in pt with him....

He's one of the best PLD on Bahamut, IMO.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2015-03-29 11:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

heard of a few people bringing some unknowns (obviously server transfers?) that caused wipes, blamed it on SE. ten bucks says theyll server transfer you see them say "this server sucks", "SE sucks", or anything along those lines until they run out of money to server transfer lol.
 Leviathan.Syagin
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2015-03-29 11:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta say I actually agree with the OP... With this pretty much being the last big thing available to do might as well let it last and have those that struggle to get the wins keep trying on their own to gain that satisfaction of a victory when they finally do clear it.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2015-03-29 14:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Syagin said: »
Gotta say I actually agree with the OP... With this pretty much being the last big thing available to do might as well let it last and have those that struggle to get the wins keep trying on their own to gain that satisfaction of a victory when they finally do clear it.

This is not the last big thing. There's three more big updates for the mini Expansion. May August (I think) and nov.
 Leviathan.Syagin
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2015-03-29 15:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Syagin said: »

This is not the last big thing. There's three more big updates for the mini Expansion. May August (I think) and nov.

Yeah allowing people to get it on their own will take them long to aquire the goodness hence giving peopel more to do for a longer duration of time.
By barkley1 2015-04-04 22:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
I think a lot of the problem is that no one wants to read up on information and findings beforehand and expect to be taught how to do stuff as they go along. Depending on what it is, that could potentially *** up the run and waste 10+ other peoples times because they couldn't be bothered to read up on what to do for thirty minutes. I'd personally have no issues in helping friends or friends of friends getting clears (and have done so before) if they're worth their salt, but a lot of the times it isn't the case. Leeching isn't going to teach anyone anything.

Hard to define wasting time; most forms of entertainment could a waste of time i suppose, unless you are getting RL benefits from it (Job or money; SE/Gil sellers). I mean, our characters are not that important; ask a random person "How about my XI avatar?" They will look at us crazy; now, a gil seller could approach a female "How about my XI avatar? Made some extra cash from him, wanna go to Red lobster?" All she heard was Red Lobster, the avatar is irrelevant. Some of us play XI for enjoyment; others go for the juggler/win, some play for money (Gil sellers). personally, I am enjoyment, with a little competitive edge.

But then again, its your time, waste/use it as you wish. I can not tell you what is wasting time in a video game.

K.O's are a part of the video game world; mistakes and K.O's are inevitable, even for the most seasoned player. When playing with friends and/or a LS, the mistakes are forgivable, even laughable at times. Mistakes made by a stranger equates to him/her being a noob whom does not read. Just my 2 cents (But I am fairly certain most will give me a refund on my 2 cents, lol, but that is just my opinion, as someone whom played countless MMOs. Agree to disagree I suppose)

We all want to breeze through content flawlessly, but most have been around MMOs long enough to know that there are a plethora of personalities and play-styles which makes this a game of chance a good percentage of the time. Just play with ppl you know and hope it goes smoothly; nobody is obligated to play with certain people; if at all now and days (Save end game).

Enjoy XI while it is somewhat alive, can't control all variables in an MMO.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8